Working on the Sabbath warrants a death sentence

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
According to the Bible people who work on the Sabbath should be put to death.

What is there reasoning behind this statement?

The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

NUMBERS 15
32 When the Israelites were in the wilderness they found a man gathering wood on the Sabbath day. 33 Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and to the whole community. 34 They put him in custody, because there was no clear instruction about what should be done to him. 35 Then the LORD said to Moses, “The man must surely be put to death; the whole community must stone him with stones outside the camp.” 15:36 So the whole community took him outside the camp and stoned him to death, just as the LORD commanded Moses.

http://www.evilbible.com/Murder.htm

http://www.bluethread.com/workintanakh.htm

In the Quran, they are turned into apes who are despised and rejected [by other Jews], but only as an example and as a lesson

And remember We took your covenant and We raised above you (The towering height) of Mount (Sinai) : (Saying): "Hold firmly to what We have given you and bring (ever) to remembrance what is therein: Perchance ye may fear God" But ye turned back thereafter: Had it not been for the Grace and Mercy of God to you, ye had surely been among the lost. And well ye knew those amongst you who transgressed in the matter of the Sabbath: We said to them: "Be ye apes, despised and rejected." So We made it an example to their own time and to their posterity, and a lesson to those who fear God. [2:63-66]

Last edited:
The reasoning behind the statement can be found in the statement itself. The Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between God and the people of Israel; breaking the Sabbath is, at least symbolically, equivalent to breaking the covenant between God and your people. Breaking such a covenant was considered a grave crime, which is why it became a capital offense.

So when was the practice rescinded and why? Why are people no longer put to death for breaking the Sabbath?

The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

It could be this, in roundabout:

Sabbath day = spiritual practice (ie. remembering the Lord, and thereby becoming holy)

not keeping the Sabbath day = no spiritual practice

no spiritual practice = being godless, immoral, decreipt, unholy, entering hellish conditions of life

Why are people no longer put to death for breaking the Sabbath?

Perhaps because one or more of the above "equations" are not considred valid anymore.

Why would anyone ask about "the reasoning behind" anything written in the Bible?

The Bible is what believers may reason from, and unbelievers may reason about, but no one now is in any position to justify the Bible by reason. Or the Quran, for that matter. They are what they are.
SAM said:
So when was the practice rescinded and why?
Historical circumstance is one thing, and the probable major factor (what day is the Sabbath, anyway?), but the best known part of the Bible that Christians use to deflect the bad PR that would come from killing people for working on this or that day is the Biblical story of one of Jesus's encounters with a local Imam, in which Jesus is berated for hand-hulling some grain for a snack on the Sabbath. He delivers one of his homilies, about how no one would leave their donkey in a pit on the Sabbath, or allow other bad things to happen, and common sense should trump clerical nitpicking over what God intended as a day of rest and respite; ending with a famous quote: "- the Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath".

Why would anyone ask about "the reasoning behind" anything written in the Bible?

The Bible is what believers may reason from, and unbelievers may reason about, but no one now is in any position to justify the Bible by reason. Or the Quran, for that matter. They are what they are.
Historical circumstance is one thing, and the probable major factor (what day is the Sabbath, anyway?), but the best known part of the Bible that Christians use to deflect the bad PR that would come from killing people for working on this or that day is the Biblical story of one of Jesus's encounters with a local Imam, in which Jesus is berated for hand-hulling some grain for a snack on the Sabbath. He delivers one of his homilies, about how no one would leave their donkey in a pit on the Sabbath, or allow other bad things to happen, and common sense should trump clerical nitpicking over what God intended as a day of rest and respite; ending with a famous quote: "- the Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath".

Inspite of this?
Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community.
I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.

PR trumps the Lord?

You provided your own answer by quoting the scripture.

Anyone going against the commands of God is worthy of death.

Do you agree or not?

In the Quran, they are turned into apes who are despised and rejected [by other Jews], but only as an example and as a lesson

As a Christian i do not believe that quran is correct here.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

So when was the practice rescinded and why? Why are people no longer put to death for breaking the Sabbath?

People are still under a death sentence for going against the will of God, The law is the same but the sentence is no longer carried out by the followers of God. The sentence is carried out by God at the final judgement. except where the guilty one has accepted the atonement of their sin that has been provided by God thought the Messiah Jesus. :)

What is the point of a death sentence in going against the will of God?

What exactly are you losing or gaining here?

Good point.

I am assuming it is because the Christian doctrine and practices are so impotent/incomplete that they cannot reinstate the person in goodness and devotion to God in this lifetime (again), after the person has committed a sin.

Taking faith seriously

S.A.M.

It's been a while since I made this point, and it usually comes up in politics, but one of the differences between Christian/post-Christian cultures and the Islamic world is that Christians just don't take their faith as seriously.

For instance, in the gay debate, we hear about lifestyle sins and how churches can't condone that, but given the number of Christian churches that openly and freely endorse the lifestyle sin of adultery in contravention of Christ's actual words, it's obvious that they're granting themselves some wiggle room.

Christian women are supposed to cover their heads and remain silent in church. That's not a big deal anymore, either.

And we've found money far more satisfying than certain other ... enticements. To the one, Liberia has a high concentration of Christians (40%), and not all of those have clean hands after the recent turmoil. To the other, Americans don't really get pissed off unless money is involved.

Christians just don't take the Bible seriously.

Christians just don't take the Bible seriously.

I understand, but thats not the question I am asking. Being despised or rejected by the community can be a motivation for going back to the covenant i.e. keeping the Shabbath. What is killing supposed to achieve?

iow, what is the point of a death sentence for breaking the covenant? What does it achieve?

Personally. Nothing.

I don't gain anything when someone is put to death. It's not about me and them it is about God and us.

In the OT God demonstrates the price of sin. The Law in its entirety showed both what sin was and also what the price of sin was.. Death.

Sin has it's serious consequence. That is learnt from the Law.

So if the price of sin is death, what does say that about mortality?

What about babies who die young?

Here is the simple answer Sam. The law was given to the jews by God through Moses. The jews are under the old testament law not the gentiles. The law wasn't given to the Gentiles was it?

where does it say that? Didn't Jesus say he came to uphold the laws?

You will find it in the old testament When moses was on the mount and God passed along the 10 comandment. It was certianly directed to the Jews. Yes Jesus did and he was Jew read the first part of the 15th chapter of acts for the answer to your questions about the old testament law. Let me know what you decide.

Back