Why is the Christian god not fair?

Adstar: People will confess anything if they fear death.
M*W: This is true. This is what christianity is all about. How convenient, they also created a hell for the people who didn't confess what the church wanted them to.
Adstar: But what people confess and what they really believe in that case will be totally different.
M*W: Ahhh, the christian dilemma rears its ugly head. People confess whatever they need to confess so their peers will see them as holier than thou. If that's not ego talking, I don't know what is. Christians suffer from the greatest sin of all -- Pride.
Adstar: And God has said without belief no one can please Him.
M*W: Then most of the world doesn't believe in god -- 75% of the world's population does not believe in god. Hey, they all can't be wrong! The bible was inspired by men and their egos. God didn't have anything to do with it. Christians force feed each other a line of this crap. Circular reasoning abounds. Man created god and put the words in his mouth. That's the christian way. Man is a fool. The bible lies. There is no god.

What's unfair? Religion is all about who is in charge. Christianity insists that God-Yehovah is in charge. He makes the rules. If you follow them you get rewarded. If you don't you are punished. If you give it your best try but can't quite cut it, He takes the penalty on Himself so you don't have to bear it.

I guess God really isn't fair - if He were, then He wouldn't have given us a free pass. Thank God, God isn't fair!

Christianity is based on fear! The fear must be strong enough to create a demand for salvation. Finally Christians are captured between fear and salvation. Escaping from Christianity needs therefore quite a lot of courage.

Yo Adstar,

So it seems, you believe that Christians will be judged according to their "works". There is nothing in your Revelation text regarding belief or Messiah. Are you clear in what you believe?

What exactly is this " lake of fire"? Is this literal? Figurative? If my son rejects me for whatever reason, would I dip him in a cauldron of boiling oil? Your omnipotent god seems like a vengefull bastard. And you worship this monster?

(BTW - The book of Revelations very narrowly made it into your canon, and you base your entire worldview on this book.)

Ahem. :m:

Yo Rosa,

I was trying to get Adstars perspective on this issue, which he duly gave in a quote from Revelation. (see his post) Christianity is so fixated on "obeying" and "authority" it actually makes me ill. I know well the outcome of authoritarianism, this is in essence what Christainity seems to stand for. Obey, believe blindly in the system or get cast into the lake of fire! Obey, believe blindly in the system or get sent to the Gulag. What is the difference?

Ahem.

stretched said:
Yo Adstar,

So it seems, you believe that Christians will be judged according to their "works". There is nothing in your Revelation text regarding belief or Messiah. Are you clear in what you believe?

:) Thanks for that i was waiting for someone to see it. Its good to know your read the WORD i gave. Sometimes i get the feeling that people do not even read the scripture i post in these threads.

Let me explain:
Just because One is saved does not mean that one will not be judged.
You assume that because the scripture says we(followers of the Messiah) will be judged it will be for salvation or otherwise.. Wrong. through Jesus we are offered salvation from the eternal lake of fire but not all those saved from the fire will be equal in eternity.

1 Corinthians 3
9For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, you are God's building. 10According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 11For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13each one's work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is. 14If anyone's work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

So followers of the Messiah will be Judged like the rest but our judgement will not determine salvation or damnation but it will determine reward or greater reward.

What exactly is this " lake of fire"? Is this literal? Figurative? If my son rejects me for whatever reason, would I dip him in a cauldron of boiling oil? Your omnipotent god seems like a vengefull bastard. And you worship this monster?

i believe the lake is literal.

Deuteronomy 32:35
Vengeance is Mine, and recompense; Their foot shall slip in due time; For the day of their calamity is at hand, And the things to come hasten upon them.'

Deuteronomy 32:41
If I whet My glittering sword, And My hand takes hold on judgment, I will render vengeance to My enemies, And repay those who hate Me.

Deuteronomy 32:43
"Rejoice, O Gentiles, with His people; For He will avenge the blood of His servants, And render vengeance to His adversaries; He will provide atonement for His land and His people."

Romans 12:19
Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord.

Jude 1:7
as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Revelation 19
11 Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war. 12His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself. 13He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God. 14And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses. 15Now out of His mouth goes a sharp sword, that with it He should strike the nations. And He Himself will rule them with a rod of iron. He Himself treads the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. 16And He has on His robe and on His thigh a name written:
KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.

The Beast and His Armies Defeated
17 Then I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the birds that fly in the midst of heaven, "Come and gather together for the supper of the great God, 18that you may eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of captains, the flesh of mighty men, the flesh of horses and of those who sit on them, and the flesh of all people, free[9] and slave, both small and great." 19And I saw the beast, the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against Him who sat on the horse and against His army. 20Then the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who worked signs in his presence, by which he deceived those who received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image. These two were cast alive into the lake of fire burning with brimstone. 21And the rest were killed with the sword which proceeded from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse. And all the birds were filled with their flesh.

Yes my God is vengeful of those who reject His love. Worship Him or hate Him that does not make a difference to His existence and His control of every persons eternity.

(BTW - The book of Revelations very narrowly made it into your canon, and you base your entire worldview on this book.)

It made it in and it is still there ;)

All Praise The Ancient of Days

Last edited:
stretched said:
Yo Rosa,

I was trying to get Adstars perspective on this issue, which he duly gave in a quote from Revelation. (see his post) Christianity is so fixated on "obeying" and "authority" it actually makes me ill. I know well the outcome of authoritarianism, this is in essence what Christainity seems to stand for. Obey, believe blindly in the system or get cast into the lake of fire! Obey, believe blindly in the system or get sent to the Gulag. What is the difference?

Ahem.

The difference is that the commander in chief of our "system" is YAHWEH the commander of the Gulag system was starlin. One is God the other is a man.
starlin is dead and where God has placed him.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Yo Adstar,

Quote Adstar:
"Yes my God is vengeful of those who reject His love."

1. How exactly does your god manifest his love?
2. What exactly is this "love" that we can reject?
3. How do we recognise it?
4. Why exactly is your god vengeful of those who reject his love?

Quote Adstar:
"The difference is that the commander in chief of our "system" is YAHWEH"

1. Is this Yahweh the god of the OT?
2. Is this Yahweh also know as Allah?

Please explain to me in your own words. I need to hear your understanding, not Biblical text.

Ahem.

Hi stretched :)

Please explain to me in your own words. I need to hear your understanding, not Biblical text.

I will try. and on most occasions i do put down my understanding and biblical text to back it up. Its a habit because i usually post on Christian boards and thoughts are just thoughts of man without biblical backing there. I will give it a go for you though.

"1. How exactly does your god manifest his love?"

He manifests His love through His Mercy. He manifests His love by making a way for sabotaged creation (US) to be reunited with Him in eternity. A way that does not require us to be perfect it only requires us to embrace what is perfect at agree with what is perfect. The WORD (Jesus) came down to earth to suffer death to provide a perfect unblemished sacrifice for the sins of all men. But only men who accept that gift of His sacrifice will be forgiven all sins and be made perfectly acceptable to God in Eternity. There is no requirement for God to save anyone. He did not need to send the WORD for us. He could have just ended this universe when we came to the knowledge of good and evil but He didn't.

"2. What exactly is this "love" that we can reject?"

People can reject the Love of the WORD, they can reject the sacrifice Jesus made for them. They can reject the Message of Jesus His teachings.

"3. How do we recognise it?"
recognize it as in perceive it?
recognize it as in accept it?

To perceive it one must read the gospels and see the message Jesus brought and see what Jesus did and went through.

To accept it one must come to the state of meekness where one knows that they have no chance obtaining sinless perfection in this life they must recognize that they need to be saved by someone else. They must believe that Jesus saves and accept in their heart that Jesus will save them. Not because they are a goody goody but because they admit they are not a goody goody.

"4. Why exactly is your god vengeful of those who reject his love?"

The God of Abraham is Just and in a perfect existence He cannot allow imperfection to be part of perfection So therefore all those who reject perfection (Jesus) refuse to be made perfect (Through Jesus) therefore they cannot exist with God in His perfect eternity. Therefore the lake of fire.

If you read the scriptures i quoted about Gods vengeance most of them where God carrying out vengeance against those who have killed and persecuted his servants. Most of them where (and in the case of Revelation and Jude will be) carried out on earth and are not references to the lake of fire.

1. Is this Yahweh the god of the OT?

Ok The letters that where used in the OT as an abbreviation of His title where these YHWH. The Jews had and still have a belief that the name of God is so holy that one should not speak it or even right it down in full. i suppose there thinking was if you never say the name of God or right His name down then you will never take His name in vain. Most of the supposed names of God are not names at all they are titles. I am not sure if the actual name of God is YAHWEH i have heard from a few Messianic Jews that it is not. It is enough for me to call Him 'The God Of Abraham" or "The Ancient Of Days" i have not had anyone (believer in the OT God) offended by those titles. So maybe YAHWEH is not the correct title of the God of Abraham but i am sure The God of Abraham knows who i am talking about when i say YAHWEH. ;)

"2. Is this Yahweh also know as Allah?"
muslims claim that allah is the correct title for The God of Abraham. To me it is irrelevant if allah is an acceptable or correct title for The God Of Abraham it does not matter if one believes in the God of Abraham or not even the demons believe in God. The relevant point is weather one is right with the God of Abraham. No matter What title one uses when referring to Him. If Jesus is who i believe Him to be then the muslims are not right with the God of Abraham neither are religious jews who do not accept Jesus as Messiah.

Hi Adstar :)

Thanks for your response, I can see that your faith is very clear to you. I am glad for you. I will explain why I cannot accept your god as the truth. This is my perspective built up over many years of experience and honest study.

S: 1. How exactly does your god manifest his love?"

A: He manifests His love through His Mercy. He manifests His love by making a way for sabotaged creation (US) to be reunited with Him in eternity. A way that does not require us to be perfect it only requires us to embrace what is perfect at agree with what is perfect. The WORD (Jesus) came down to earth to suffer death to provide a perfect unblemished sacrifice for the sins of all men. But only men who accept that gift of His sacrifice will be forgiven all sins and be made perfectly acceptable to God in Eternity. There is no requirement for God to save anyone. He did not need to send the WORD for us. He could have just ended this universe when we came to the knowledge of good and evil but He didn't.

My points here are:

a) Why do we require mercy in the first place?
b) If your god is omniscient and omnipotent (if you disagree with this, ignore the balance of my argument), then it was god who committed sabotage, by willfully seperating from us in the first place. He had the power, not Adam. Adam was the pawn in a pre-ordained event. Yes or No?
c) To embrace what is perfect requires acknowledgement of that perfection. If god willfully created the potential for imperfection via sin, and furthermore pre-ordained the events that led to the original sin, then god is either:
1a) Unjust
1b) Imperfect.

Any argument regarding free will in this scenario is an illusion, as all is pre-ordained. Unless one accepts that god did not know that Adam would eat the fruit. Then I am happy to agree that god is not at fault, but then neither is he omnipotent.
Your scenario is like one strong person purposely and for no reason tying another up, and then demanding forgiveness before agreeing to untie you.

S: "2. What exactly is this "love" that we can reject?"

A: People can reject the Love of the WORD, they can reject the sacrifice Jesus made for them. They can reject the Message of Jesus His teachings.

*As I said above, if you believe god is omnipotent and omniscient, the sacrifice is part of a pre-ordained event. On grounds of common sense and plain logic, parts of the message of Jesus are rejectable. See above.

S: "3. How do we recognise it?"

A: To perceive it one must read the gospels and see the message Jesus brought and see what Jesus did and went through.

A: To accept it one must come to the state of meekness where one knows that they have no chance obtaining sinless perfection in this life they must recognize that they need to be saved by someone else. They must believe that Jesus saves and accept in their heart that Jesus will save them. Not because they are a goody goody but because they admit they are not a goody goody.

*Percieve it: I read the gospels many times and found no particular message of value that I had not read before in some form or another elsewhere. There are plenty of people (present and departed) who spread an equal or better message. Some of these people suffered terrible deaths for their beliefs. If Jesus is God, (if you disagree, ignore the rest) he did not die a comparable death to a human. If god is omnipotent and omniscient he would know the temporary nature of his suffering.

*Accept it: One first has to acknowledge that one is sinful. One first has to acknowledge that one needs saving. From the logic of my above reasoning one can reject Jesus as saviour. It seems like a setup. Furthermore Jesus is but one of many potential saviours available. Adstar, if you had been born a Muslim in Saudi Arabia would Jesus be your saviour?

S: "4. Why exactly is your god vengeful of those who reject his love?"

A: The God of Abraham is Just and in a perfect existence He cannot allow imperfection to be part of perfection So therefore all those who reject perfection (Jesus) refuse to be made perfect (Through Jesus) therefore they cannot exist with God in His perfect eternity. Therefore the lake of fire.

A: If you read the scriptures i quoted about Gods vengeance most of them where God carrying out vengeance against those who have killed and persecuted his servants. Most of them where (and in the case of Revelation and Jude will be) carried out on earth and are not references to the lake of fire.

*If the god of the OT is the god of Abraham (if you disagree, ignore the rest), he is in no logical way just. Do I have to repeat the atrocities committed by god in the OT? If this god is omnipotent he created imperfection. Furthermore it seems this was pre-ordained. So lets analyse your logic. God willfully creates imperfection in the sin of Adam. He holds all mankind jointly responsible (unjust) for one mans sin. You need to repent for sins you did not commit, to have god forgive you for events that he planned in the first instance. If you do not repent, he does not ignore you, but he hurls you into the lake of fire. (unjust) He is not understanding, compassionate, negotiable or forgiving for mankind using logic that was given to him by default, and then not to be used.

* Your second point illustrates a tribal god, born to feul tribal conflict. This god also causes division by engaging in petty favouritism. (unjust)

S: 1. Is this Yahweh the god of the OT?

A: Ok The letters that where used in the OT as an abbreviation of His title where these YHWH. The Jews had and still have a belief that the name of God is so holy that one should not speak it or even right it down in full. i suppose there thinking was if you never say the name of God or right His name down then you will never take His name in vain. Most of the supposed names of God are not names at all they are titles. I am not sure if the actual name of God is YAHWEH i have heard from a few Messianic Jews that it is not. It is enough for me to call Him 'The God Of Abraham" or "The Ancient Of Days" i have not had anyone (believer in the OT God) offended by those titles. So maybe YAHWEH is not the correct title of the God of Abraham but i am sure The God of Abraham knows who i am talking about when i say YAHWEH.

* So I assume this god you have in mind is the god mentioned in the OT?

S: 2. Is this Yahweh also know as Allah?"
muslims claim that allah is the correct title for The God of Abraham. To me it is irrelevant if allah is an acceptable or correct title for The God Of Abraham it does not matter if one believes in the God of Abraham or not even the demons believe in God. The relevant point is weather one is right with the God of Abraham. No matter What title one uses when referring to Him. If Jesus is who i believe Him to be then the muslims are not right with the God of Abraham neither are religious jews who do not accept Jesus as Messiah.

* Lets not worry about names, lets concentrate on the figure known as "god" in the OT. Jews worship this figure, the god of the OT. (Torah) From what Christians say, Jesus is this figure, the god of the OT. So it follows that if this figure, the OT god is the god of Abraham (if you disagree, ignore the rest), then Allah is your god too. And furthermore Jesus is then by default Allah. Muslims know Jesus to be a prophet of this OT god. They do worship this OT god. So by default you too worship Allah. Unless there is more than one god figure in the OT?

Ahem.

stretched said:
a) Why do we require mercy in the first place?
b) If your god is omniscient and omnipotent (if you disagree with this, ignore the balance of my argument), then it was god who committed sabotage, by willfully seperating from us in the first place. He had the power, not Adam. Adam was the pawn in a pre-ordained event. Yes or No?
c) To embrace what is perfect requires acknowledgement of that perfection. If god willfully created the potential for imperfection via sin, and furthermore pre-ordained the events that led to the original sin, then god is either:
1a) Unjust
1b) Imperfect.
a) We have been separated from God through sin, the result of which (either by consequence or by judgment) is death. The consequences require judgment, and from judgment we require mercy if we are guilty.
b) No. Adam was an independent living being, endowed with the life (breath) of God himself. God stayed near, but Adam "fell away" from God. Eternal life was "obscured", but the separation itself was mercy, since God could have ended it there and then, no questions asked - or He could have left us alone to live and die without hope of ever being reconciled with Him in eternal life.
c) Anything created is necessarily less than that which created it. I don't know how you measure perfection, but it seems God was rather more concerned with what was good. Sin is not imperfection, but rebellion. If we were more "perfect" (by the measurements I presume you use), our rebellion would have been more absolute - perhaps like that of the angels themselves.

So, being created "good" was good enough. Being "perfect" was and is only possible in relationship with God (if it isn't actually defined as being in full, unobstructed relationship with God). With sin, we lost both states - or at least damaged it beyond recognition.

Any argument regarding free will in this scenario is an illusion, as all is pre-ordained. Unless one accepts that god did not know that Adam would eat the fruit. Then I am happy to agree that god is not at fault, but then neither is he omnipotent.
Your scenario is like one strong person purposely and for no reason tying another up, and then demanding forgiveness before agreeing to untie you.
The scenario is more like we have consorted with criminals, who have treated us as criminals are wont to: beaten us, stole our clothes, and left us for dead. The "free will" here is actually a misnomer for "rebellion against limited will". For God did create us with limits, moral and natural. What the "knowledge of good and evil did" was make the fence around God's paradise seem like prison bars, and we broke the pen, with the same abilities that could have ensured our safety.

Why did God create us in such a dangerous world? Because He created us from a dangerous and hostile "world". There was no outside until we went outside God.

S: "2. What exactly is this "love" that we can reject?"

A: People can reject the Love of the WORD, they can reject the sacrifice Jesus made for them. They can reject the Message of Jesus His teachings.

*As I said above, if you believe god is omnipotent and omniscient, the sacrifice is part of a pre-ordained event. On grounds of common sense and plain logic, parts of the message of Jesus are rejectable. See above.
As before, we have rejected God once, continues to reject Him, and have roven ourselves still able to reject Him - even when He came to us on our terms. When He was God above, we said He was too holy and unfamiliar; when He came to us, we said He was too lowly and familiar. Yet Jesus is part of the same life that was available to Adam and Eve - He was not a contingency plan, but the plan all along. That He had to submit himself to a murderous mob to get our attention and restore our hope shows how far we had sunk. Pre-ordained: everlasting life with God through heavenly man (Christ). Missing our purpose: sin, mortality and death.

S: "3. How do we recognise it?"

*Percieve it: I read the gospels many times and found no particular message of value that I had not read before in some form or another elsewhere. There are plenty of people (present and departed) who spread an equal or better message. Some of these people suffered terrible deaths for their beliefs. If Jesus is God, (if you disagree, ignore the rest) he did not die a comparable death to a human. If god is omnipotent and omniscient he would know the temporary nature of his suffering.
No particular message? Which particular message sounds so familiar: That God as shown us grace? That the God who chooses chose a nation had prepared a kingdom to which He invited foreigners and exiles before they even knew how to ask? That He loved and still loves us, enough to sacrifice perfection and unbroken love for servitude and death - that we might not suffer alone and without hope?

Jesus did not die to die comparably, or to satisfy some whimsical requirement, but for God to remain God - holy, perfect and just - and still rescue some of his beloved children who were otherwise without hope. It was not his death that permitted it - everybody dies - it was that death had no hold on Him. He was the one Saviour who could dip into the places most anathema to God, and come out unscathed, bringing with Him all those who dared cling to such hope.

*Accept it: One first has to acknowledge that one is sinful. One first has to acknowledge that one needs saving. From the logic of my above reasoning one can reject Jesus as saviour. It seems like a setup. Furthermore Jesus is but one of many potential saviours available. Adstar, if you had been born a Muslim in Saudi Arabia would Jesus be your saviour?
Acts 4:12
"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."​
If you see God as a setup, that is an excuse for rejecting Him, not an explanation. The reason must come from somewhere else, since if salvation is what you wanted, why complain when it has been made available?

Tell me, stretched, who is the saviour of the Muslims? Who is their certainty for salvation? If you say Muhammed, you'll only expose ignorance. And who are the saviours of Hinduism, Buddhism, Animism or any non-monotheistic religion? Ourselves? Name but one potential who claimed to forgive sin, and explain his case. Even if you look at Judaism, you must admit that they are still expecting the Christ - God's anointed - to herald in God's peace. You might not believe Jesus' credentials, but that does not mean none were given.

You might resent the exclusivity of having only one saviour to choose from, but that goes logically with having only one God who is able to give life.

S: "4. Why exactly is your god vengeful of those who reject his love?"

*If the god of the OT is the god of Abraham (if you disagree, ignore the rest), he is in no logical way just. Do I have to repeat the atrocities committed by god in the OT? If this god is omnipotent he created imperfection. Furthermore it seems this was pre-ordained. So lets analyse your logic. God willfully creates imperfection in the sin of Adam. He holds all mankind jointly responsible (unjust) for one mans sin. You need to repent for sins you did not commit, to have god forgive you for events that he planned in the first instance. If you do not repent, he does not ignore you, but he hurls you into the lake of fire. (unjust) He is not understanding, compassionate, negotiable or forgiving for mankind using logic that was given to him by default, and then not to be used.
Your premise is flawed. God created a law - order - to regulate the life endowed Adam and Eve with. That in itself is evidence of love and trust. It was the rejection of that order than heralded sin, and exposed ourselves as hostile to God. Once again: not imperfection. If it was pre-ordained, that would be evidence that injustice and rebellion is what God expects from us, which would contradict every word after Genesis 1.

But mankind is given a second chance. We find ourselves separated from God by the action of a human being like us, and yes: sin is unfair to everyone around you, including your unwitting children - which is part of why God abhorrs it. God holds us responsible for just as much as Adam was responsible: our obedience to Him, exhibited before everyone around us. The failure of that is the failure of Adam, the sin of Adam, and the exile of Adam. We are in our second chance. But while we suffer from Adam's sin, we will not die for Adam's sin - we are accountable for our own rebellion.

Adam is no excuse. (And neither is Eve, or even Satan, as Adam found out).

If you do not repent when given the chance, you are effectively stating your innocence. If you don't plead guilty in a court, it's fair to assume you don't believe you are guilty. If you place yourself outside his jurisdiction thus, you are an outlaw, and outlaws do not enter the kingdom of justice. God's judgment means mercy, but there is no other mercy outside His. Where could there be?

* Your second point illustrates a tribal god, born to feul tribal conflict. This god also causes division by engaging in petty favouritism. (unjust)
If God is good, and bestows life on those whom He's pleased with and have chosen for his purpose, then those who oppose them oppose that purpose. As Judge, "Justice" is what He decides. If He were unjust, He would not have enforced the justice of, an on, a particular nation - only His own. Yet we see clearly from the OT that his justice is not arbitrary, but consistent.

The events of the Old Testament all happened before Christ - there the law of the land carried as much weight with people as any God or gods' laws. To live was to be in your god's favour, and to die was to be separated from him. Every nation was united under its own god, and gods were even considered territorial (presiding over certain areas). So if you conquered a land, your god conquered that land if you lost your land, your god also lost status. Israel had no land of their own - which is significant. This is all foreign to us, but that difference does not make us right and them wrong. Neither does it make them right and us wrong. But it does explain the apparent favouritism. The Israelites believed strongly in a God that tolerates no favouritism (Lev. 19:15), but that also meant he was partial to justice (He "favours" the side of justice). It is significant to see how frequently this backfires in Israel's faces, since they aren't exempt from God's requirements - far from it: they were judged more harshly because they "knew better". (Just look up "Israel" in any of the Prophets).
Amos 9:7
"Are not you Israelites
the same to me as the Cushites?"
declares the LORD.
"Did I not bring Israel up from Egypt,
the Philistines from Caphtor
and the Arameans from Kir?​

S: 1. Is this Yahweh the god of the OT?

* Lets not worry about names, lets concentrate on the figure known as "god" in the OT. Jews worship this figure, the god of the OT. (Torah) From what Christians say, Jesus is this figure, the god of the OT. So it follows that if this figure, the OT god is the god of Abraham (if you disagree, ignore the rest), then Allah is your god too. And furthermore Jesus is then by default Allah. Muslims know Jesus to be a prophet of this OT god. They do worship this OT god. So by default you too worship Allah. Unless there is more than one god figure in the OT?

Ahem.
This is just semantic acrobatics that borders on fallacy: imagining language to determine reality, instead of just describing it.

What the people understand about God when they call him "Allah" may be different than what they understand about God when they call Him YHWH. YHWH = Allah only in their identification as Abraham's God, but the fact is that according to our best knowledge, Abraham called his God 'YHWH' (Gen. 13:4), and Melchizedec called Abraham's God specifically 'YHWH Elyown' (God Most High), never Allah. At least not until 600 AD, when the Koran was compiled. You can't ignore 3000 years of history when you argue about historical names. Not to mention that Muslims don't believe the Bible to be reliable, which is rather convenient for their beliefs about Jesus and the OT God. Jesus could not be understood along with his Father as "God" until after that conclusion was made inevitable by circumstances, and even then it is an extreme simplification to say that without taking those circumstances into account. Jesus is God insofar as God (YHWH) identifies himself as "Jesus"; similarly, the Spirit is God insofar God identifies himself as Spirit. The onus of identifying himself and his salvation lies with God (no surprise there), and He gave us "no other name under heaven [than Jesus Christ] by which we must be saved".

But from your argument, to say we worship Allah means absolutely nothing unless you actually make a distinction between the Christian God and "Allah", in which case your argument destroys itself, because we do not worship two (different) gods. So what else do we have to go on? In Genesis 15:1, we have the word of God coming to Abram in a vision.

In Genesis 18, we have three angels, identified as YHWH (Gen. 18:1), speaking to Abraham. In verse 22, one stays to speak with Abraham, and they discuss Sodom's destruction. The remaining two angels arrive at Lot's house, and declare that they are going to destroy the city (19:13). He addresses them in the singular (19:19). Yet, in verse 24, sulphur rains "from the LORD out of the heavens."

By the logic of your argument, we should be worshipping angels - which is forbidden.

Hello again stretched :)

It is obvious from your reply that you have done a lot of thinking on the God Of Abraham. I will continue to reply to your thoughts using the thoughts i have. Although i am itching to post more scripture. LOL

No. Adam willingly took part in His own fall.

If you read the book of genisis you will see upon the completion of creation God was pleased with the universe and man, He saw that it was Good. So upon completion Adam was perfectly acceptable to God. God did not make them faulty. they did not know Good or evil.

It is true God provided a possibility for them to gain access to the knowledge of Good and evil. BUT He forewarned them of the consequences of obtaining the knowledge of Good and Evil. Now satan who was lucifer came and deceived them telling them that they would be like God if they obtained the knowledge of Good and Evil. For satan himself was and still is challenging the God of Abraham wanting to demonstrate to all the angels that they can be like God, to be Gods equals. Irrespective of this Adam and Eve had the FREE WILL choose to believe in satan or believe in God. To gain access to the knowledge of Good and evil or to reject satans proposal and remain obedient to the will of God. satan did not force them to take the knowledge of good and evil it was their own decision. therefore you are wrong to say that God sabotaged humanity the sabotage was a joint effort by satan and man of course God had foreknowledge of this but foreknowledge is not preordained (forcing one to sin).

1a) Unjust
1b) Imperfect.

Here again your logic has lead you to see God pre-ordaining the events that lead to the sabotage of humanity’s perfection. Instead of seeing that God had foreknowledge of the events that lead to man coming to the knowledge of Good and Evil. God gave man the possibility of choosing two roads just because he foreknew what road man would choose does not mean that He forced man to take the road that man took.

Let me talk of my past when it comes to the topic of Gods control of history. When i read the Bible i believe i came to the same conclusion that you did stretched. When i read about the book of Life and the people who would be saved being written in it from the foundation of the world. That being, that God had the names of all the people that would be saved already at the start of the universe, the though came to me that people had been created with no chance of being saved and others where created to be saved. That thought cut me to the core. So i cried ot to the God of Abraham to give me understanding on this issue and within a day i came to understand the significance of the Word Foreknowledge. The fact that God knows people before they where born is inescapable for those who believe in the Word. For God said to the prophet Jeremiah when he first talked to him, before I formed you in the womb I knew you. So just because God can see all of history from his point of view or his dimension if you like, does not mean that God controls an individuals free will choice God provides people with choices they have the free will choice to take. I have had many a discussion with calvanists who like you cannot come to terms with the fact that History can be foreknown and also not be pre-ordained they cannot see How predestination can exist in a system where free will exists because they are locked in human thinking that God is restrained in the same Time Zone that we are restricted to That God is restricted by His creation, our dimension, Universe time. I have recently been watching a science series that is trying to explain the scientific theory called String Theory. wouldn't it be funny if scientists who are doing there best to run away from God wind up running right into Him LOL. But alas i do not think they will have enough time to find God i believe the end of the word as we know it is near. reviewing what i have written to you in this post i do not think i have explained things well enough so i will add a letter i gave to some christians trying to explain the thoughts i have:

Fate Free will and Predestination

Let us think about Prophesy. If the future can be accurately foretold (which Christians must believe if they agree with what’s in the bible) than we must believe in a type of fate. Now free will supporters will say that yes the future has been foretold in the bible, in the book of revelations, but they are mayor world events, we still have free will on an individual level. So its up to us what our future is

Lets look at the book of Revelation. John was on the island of Patmos when God revealed the future to him, he saw the final judgment in process, now did he see a representation of what was to happen or was he actually transported through time to the final judgment and actually saw the final judgment in progress? You may be thinking what does it matter? Well if he was actually there at the final judgment and saw the great multitude standing before God then he would be looking at real people some of whom would not have been born until 100’s or maybe 1000’s of years after his lifetime. So he was looking at people who had not been born yet, (in his time) that had been born lived their lives believed or not believed, died and raised, which were being judged. He saw the angles dividing the multitudes and casting some into the lake of fire. So even before they were born it was known what choices they were going to make and therefore their ultimate fate.

It may seem to you that I am supporting the predestination view; well in a way I am and in another way I am not. Let me explain. If God knows the future to the detail that I have suggested above, than he knows what choices people will make during their lives even before they are born. So we still have free will it’s just that God already knows what choices we are going to make.

So to use an analogy The history of existence is like a real life documentary and God has got the tape and can F-Forward it and knows the outcome beforehand. The people who are in the documentary are free to say and do what they want and they say and do what they want. From that tape he has already written down in his book (the book of life) who he has selected for his next production and who gets the chop.

I hope I have explained my thoughts clearly enough. I can tell you it’s not easy explaining something like this using words.

Stretched i am doing my best to explain my thoughts to you but be assured that free will and Gods knowledge of all History is not illogical Because God is God He is not a human being trapped in time.

If Jesus is God, (if you disagree, ignore the rest) he did not die a comparable death to a human. If god is omnipotent and omniscient he would know the temporary nature of his suffering.

I do not understand your logic? Most religions of in this world believe that they have an after life or that they are continuously re-incarnated. Even most people how do not believe in a personal God believe in some cosmic force / energy that their energy will reunite with. The number of people who think that existence ends at the end of this life is very small. So the fact that Jesus knew He was going to be raised from the dead is nothing exceptional, most people in history have believed that they would exist beyond the grave weather that be resurrected or re-incarnated or incorporated into some force. Jesus went through death He suffered death and it was not a pretty death, it was a brutal and cruel death. The authorities wanted to make is so to act as a warning to anyone who would seek to undermine authority. The people of this world are not omnipotent or omniscient but they know that the pain of death is temporary. I know that pain of death is temporary and so do you?

So i disagree with you. Jesus suffered death and He died, that is His human existence was ended. Just like most human beings up to this time. This will continue to happen to everyone until my Messiah returns.

*Accept it: One first has to acknowledge that one is sinful. One first has to acknowledge that one needs saving. From the logic of my above reasoning one can reject Jesus as saviour. It seems like a setup. Furthermore Jesus is but one of many potential saviours available.

Yes its a setup. But it is a setup to give a way for man to be reconciled to God and for God to be Justified to the Heavenly Host.

Adstar, if you had been born a Muslim in Saudi Arabia would Jesus be your saviour?

I suppose i would have been brought up in the teachings of Muhammad. But as i have said before i leave the judgement of those who have never heard the Message of Jesus in the hands of the God Of Abraham. If i was a muslim and the Message of Jesus was given to me then it would be a totally different situation. Let me tell you about my past. I was brought up as a catholic in a traditional observant catholic family with a devout dad. My uncle is a catholic priest and it is a family tradition to always have one member join the priesthood or become a nun it has been that way for many generations. I only missed one Sunday mass up to the age of 18 and that was because i was having my tonsils out. I was a alter boy for 12 years and i must have said the prayer the hail mary 50,000 times during that time. Now when i read the bible and was convicted of the falseness of that religion i left it. and in doing so i left my family i left my culture and because of the teachings of Jesus i gave away my nationalism. it is no different for anyone no matter if they are hundu, muslim, catholic, protestant, johovahs witness, mormon whatever when you accept Jesus as your Personal Savior and decide to follow Him then you must be prepared to cast away everything that keeps you out of His will. Jesus said we must be prepared to leave our families to follow Him and i found that was soooo true.

*If the god of the OT is the god of Abraham (if you disagree, ignore the rest), he is in no logical way just. Do I have to repeat the atrocities committed by god in the OT?

You see them as atrocities from your viewpoint. But God has the Authority to end life He will have mercy on whom He will have mercy he is Just in His will. Gods actions in the OT where justified even if one does not understand them.

He holds all mankind jointly responsible (unjust) for one mans sin.

No Adam is responsible for His sin. We suffer the consequence of that sin because now we have the knowledge of good and evil but God has made a way to take away the curse of this knowledge.

You need to repent for sins you did not commit,

No we are responsible for our decision to accept or reject what is perfect we are responsible to acknowledge that we are sinners needing salvation from Jesus.

to have god forgive you for events that he planned in the first instance. If you do not repent, he does not ignore you, but he hurls you into the lake of fire. (unjust) He is not understanding, compassionate, negotiable or forgiving for mankind using logic that was given to him by default, and then not to be used.

How hard can it be to accept a free gift from God. Salvation through belief in The WORD. Is that so hard. Jesus said His yoke was light and it is. You do not have to be a goody goody or obtain perfection all you need to do is acknowledge Gods perfection and admit your own imperfection and accept Gods gift of salvation through belief in Jesus. How Hard Is That? Yes He is understanding He understands our hopeless state and provides a way for us to be made perfect. Yes He is compassionate The WORD came into this world and went through a terrible death to obtain this salvation. Yes He is forgiving That is the reason that the WORD came He is Gods forgiveness to those who ask for forgiveness.

Your second point illustrates a tribal god, born to feul tribal conflict. This god also causes division by engaging in petty favouritism.

i can only assume that you are talking about the chosen people the Jews. Look at the history of the Jewish people. Both biblical and other historical rightings. If God had treated them with the favoritism you suggest then they would live in peace and never suffer. But history shows that God has been a two edged sword to the Jewish people. I remember watching the movie "fiddler on the roof" in it one of the Jewish characters facing the prospect of persecution from the Russian Authorities looked up to the sky and said with a mournful voice. "I know we are the chosen people Lord but could you choose someone else this time." If you read the story of exodus you will realize that God had dealings with the people of Canaan before the Jews returned to the land from Egypt, look up balaam he was a prophet of the Lord to the people, look up Melchizadeck. listen to what God said to Joshua when he told him that it was not because of the righteousness of the Jewish people that He was giving the land of Canaan to them but it was because of the evil of the people of Canaan that He was taking it away from them and giving it to the Jews. Read about How the Jews played the harlot with other Gods and How God sent the media Persians to destroy the Jewish people and send a remnant of them to babylon as slaves. Now when it is said the Jewish people are the chosen people what do you think they where chosen for? think about it.

Once again i say worship means nothing to God if the people who believe they are worshiping Him are not accepting His will nor following His directions. So both the traditional non Jesus believing Jews and the Muslims and i will add false christians .Their worship is to no effect.

awwww i cannot resist this i have held out for long time i hope you will forgive me this stretched:

John 4
A Samaritan Woman Meets Her Messiah
19The woman said to Him, "Sir, I perceive that You are a prophet. 20Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, and you Jews say that in Jerusalem is the place where one ought to worship."
21Jesus said to her, "Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, worship the Father. 22You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews. 23But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. 24God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."
25The woman said to Him, "I know that Messiah is coming" (who is called Christ). "When He comes, He will tell us all things."
26Jesus said to her, "I who speak to you am He."

Last edited:
Adstar said:
No. Adam willingly took part in His own fall.

That's heresy. Omniscience and omnipotence completely negates free will.

God already KNEW Adam was going to disobey him before he even created the world, otherwise God is not omniscient.

God has two choices.

1. To create Adam who he knew was going to obey him.
2. To create Adam who he knew was not going to obey him.

He chose #2.

Also God could have stepped in any time to stop Adam from eating from the tree, but he was unwilling.

Adam was without the knowledge of good and evil, and therefore he has no idea whether obey is good or evil.

Also somehow Satan was allowed to be in middle of a garden with full knowledge and permission of God.

To punish Adam for doing what God wanted him to do is not only unfair but sadistic and cruel.

Joeman said:
God has two choices.

1. To create Adam who he knew was going to obey him.
2. To create Adam who he knew was not going to obey him.
Actually, neither: God did not create a robot. That defies the purpose of creation.

He chose #2.
God created Adam, knowing that there was before him life and death. He trusted Adam, but Adam did not trust God.

God does not know what there isn't to know - in other words, a choice not yet made doesn't exist, unless God has made it himself. The Bible makes it clear that God did not want or expect Adam to sin. But He did know that whatever Adam chose, He would be able to forgive. The better choice would always remain open, as it still does.

Also God could have stepped in any time to stop Adam from eating from the tree, but he was unwilling.
To what effect? If Adam wanted to sin, he was as free as any of us to. His life was his to live - God was not going to live it for him. Adam had God's word and warning - and we have His commandments. He knew and we know what He wants.

Should we go around killing people and assume that if God does not stop us, He is condoning our behaviour, and will not punish it?

Adam was without the knowledge of good and evil, and therefore he has no idea whether obey is good or evil.
The only way we gain knowledge about good and evil is by understanding the difference between them. Eve was evidently able to understand the difference between obeying God (good) and not obeying Him (evil), since she could repeat the warning to Satan (Gen. 3:3). She knew what was expected, and so did Adam. God's words were enough to make up for whatever they could not understand themselves.

How long was it until you discovered your father had authority over you? If you rebelled against him, you knew it was rebellion - unwanted behaviour.

Also somehow Satan was allowed to be in middle of a garden with full knowledge and permission of God.
The serpent was just another creation of God, Genesis makes that clear. He had as much place in the garden as any other, and just as little authority. Satan was present in the lie that was told - the lie about God that Adam and Eve believed. Satan can be present wherever we reject God, or find something so desireable that we would ignore His warnings.

The responsibility lay with Adam and Eve. It was a responsibility God put on them - the responsibility that comes with having a life that can be lost. But they also tried to shift the blame onto Satan, as if their lives belonged to him instead, as if he had responsibility for their actions.

It is the same argument when you accuse God of tempting someone to sin. You are only trying to shift the responsibility for your own actions - for your death - onto Him, when He is actually responsible for your life.

To punish Adam for doing what God wanted him to do is not only unfair but sadistic and cruel.
It would have been, if it was what God wanted him to do. Yet what did God want Adam to do?
Genesis 2:15-17 The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."​

Jenyar said:
God does not know what there isn't to know - in other words, a choice not yet made doesn't exist, unless God has made it himself. The Bible makes it clear that God did not want or expect Adam to sin. But He did know that whatever Adam chose, He would be able to forgive. The better choice would always remain open, as it still does.

Your open view theism not only doesn't make sense but is unbiblical. You read too much Greg Boyd crap. If God doesn't know what people are going to choose, how does he answer prayers and control the universe?

According to the bible, the whole concept of free will is nothing but idolatry and myth. God not only knows what a person will choose, but he determines it; he fixes it; he plans it; it’s his idea - even before the world begins!

(1) "According as he has chosen us in him before the foundation of the world,…Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ himself, according to the good pleasure of his will" (Eph. 1:4-5)

[Note: It means exactly what it says. God cannot pre-destine anything unless he knows what people are going to choose. This verse clearly says that God chooses who to be saved based on his own pleasure even before he made the world. Those who are chosen are predestined to be saved. God has a book of life, which was written before the world begins. If your name is not in the book, you go to hell. It's interesting to see that later verses say that Satan's name is not the book. That implies that God already knew that Satan will betray him, and he ordained Satan to do evil.]

(2) "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son,.... Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called...." (Rom. 8:28-30)
(3) "And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord; and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed" (Acts 13:48)
(4) "But we are bound to give thanks always to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth" (2 Thess. 2:13)
(5) "In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of God’s own will" (Eph. 1:11)
(6) "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them" (Eph. 2:10)
(7) "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you" (John 15:16)
(8) "For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ" (1 Thess. 5:9 RSV)
(9) "A man's heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps" (Prov. 16:9)
(10) "He will carry out what he has planned for me, and of many such matters He is mindful" (Job 23:14 Mod. Lang)
(11) "Only, let every one lead the life which the Lord has assigned to him, and in which God has called him" (1 Cor. 7:17 RSV)
(12) "...your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be" (Psalm 139:16 NIV)
(13) "Man's goings are of the Lord; how can a man then understand his own way?" (Prov. 20:24)
(14) "And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other" (Matt. 24:3l)
(15) "...whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world,...." (Rev. 17:8)
(16) "And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire" (Rev. 20:15)
(17) "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him" (John 6:44)
(18) "...no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father" (John 6:65)
(19) "For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call" (Acts 2:39)
(20) "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails" (Prov. 19:21 NIV)
(21) "The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the Lord" (Prov. 16:33)
(22) "Man's days are determined; you have decreed the number of his months and have set limits he cannot exceed" (Job 14:5 NIV)
(23) "From one man God made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live" (Acts 17:26 NIV)
(24) "...for that that is determined shall be done" (Dan. 11:36)
(25) "Therefore I endure all things for the elects' sakes that they may obtain the salvation which is in Christ...." (2 Tim. 2:10)
(26) "And a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed" (1 Peter 2:8)
(27) "For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men,...." (Jude 4)
(28) "Blessed is the man whom thou choosest, and causest to approach unto thee, that he may dwell in thy courts" (Psalm 65:4)
(29) "Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,...chosen and destined by God the Father...." (1 Peter 1:1-2 RSV)
(30) "Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began" (2 Tim. 1:9)
(31) "And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved" (Acts 2:47)
(32) "The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord...." (Psalm 37:23)
(33) "Then the King will say to those at his right hand, 'Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world" (Matt. 25:34 RSV)
(34) "...but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you" (John 15:19)
(35) "All that dwell upon the earth shall worship the Devil whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world" (Rev. 13:8)
(36) "Jesus said to them, 'You will indeed drink from my cup, but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared by my Father'" (Matt. 20:23 NIV)
(37) "They (Herod, Pilate, the Gentiles and the people of Israel--Ed.) did what your power and will had decided beforehand should happen" (Acts 4:28 NIV)
(38) "He was not seen by all the people, but by witnesses whom God had already chosen...." (Acts 10:41 NIV)
(39) "Jesus verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you" ((1 Peter 1:20)
(40) "Then the word of the Lord came unto me, saying, Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou comest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations" (Jer. 1:4-5).
(41) "Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded" (Rom. 11:7), "Knowing, brethren beloved, your election by God" (1 Thess. 1:4)
(42) "Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth" (Isa. 42:1)
(43) "For Jacob my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name...." (Isa. 45:4)
(44) "and then shall he send his angels and shall gather his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven" (Mark 13:27)
(45) "...mine elect shall inherit it, and my servants shall dwell there" (Isa. 65:9)
(46) "...but for the elect's sake, whom he hath chosen, he hath shortened the days" (Mark 13:20)
(47) "And shall not God avenge his own elect" (Luke 18:7)
(48) "Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect?" (Rom. 8:33)
(49) "Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved...." (Col. 3:12)
(50) "If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened" (Matt. 24:22)
(51) "...mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands" (Isa. 65:22)
(52) "...if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect" (Matt. 24:24)
(53) "...to reduce, if it were possible, even the elect" (Mark 13:22) and (Rom. 9:11, 11:28-29).
(54) "So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called but few chosen" (Matt. 20:16, 22:14)
(55) "Yet the Lord set his affection on your forefathers and loved them, and he chose you, their descendants, above all the nations, as it is today" (Deut. 10:15 NIV)
(56) "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance" (Psalm 33:12)
(57) "For the Lord hath chosen Jacob unto himself, and Israel for his peculiar treasure" (Psalm 135:4)
(58) "The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know his will, and see the Just One, and hear the voice of his mouth" (Acts 22:14)
(59) "So too, at the present time there is a remnant chosen by grace" (Rom. 11:5)
(60) "Yet now hear, O Jacob my servant, and Israel whom I have chosen...Fear not, O Jacob, my servant; and thou, Jesurun, whom I have chosen" (Isa. 44:1-2)
(61) "From Paul, the slave of God and the messenger of Jesus Christ. I have been sent to bring faith to those God has chosen...." (Titus 1:1 LB)
(62) "For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called" (1 Cor. 1:26)
(63) "Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called" (1 Cor. 7:20)
(64) "Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God" (1 Cor. 7:24)
(65) "...it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace" (Gal. 1:15)
(66) "That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory" (1 Thess. 2:12)
(67) "they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance" (Heb. 9:15)
(68) "...knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing" (1 Peter 3:9)
(69) "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus...." (1 Peter 5:10)
(70) "...give diligence to make your calling and election sure...." (2 Peter 1:10)
(71) "Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ" (Rom. 1:6)
(72) "But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks...." (1 Cor. 1:24) and (Rom. 9:24).
(73) "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me: and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out" (John 6:37),
(74) "this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing...." (John 6:39)
(75) "Thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him" (John 17:2)
(76) "I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me: for they are thine" (John 17:9)
(77) "Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou has given me, that they be one as we are....those that thou gavest me I have kept...." (John 17:11-12)
(78) "...whom thou hast given me" (John 17:24) and "I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word" (John 17:6 NIV).
(79) "...but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven" (Luke 10:20)
(80) "This man was handed over to you by God's set purpose and foreknowledge...." (Acts 2:23 NIV)
(81) "But in fact God has arranged the parts of the body of Christ, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be" (1 Cor. 12:18 NIV)
(82) "we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began" (1 Cor. 2:7 NIV)
(83) "truly the Son of man goeth, as it was determined" (Luke 22:22)
(84) "Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth" (Rom. 9:18), and (Heb. 12:22-23, 1 Sam. 12:22, Psalm 86:13, Dan. 5:23).

Thank you for the abundant evidence that God chooses - He selects one thing from another, for a specific purpose. Our part in that choice is whether we 1) know it 2) partake in it. In other words, God's choices include ours - they don't exclude ours. Two examples:
Deut. 30:19-20 This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the LORD is your life...

Jer. 21:8-9 "Furthermore, tell the people, 'This is what the LORD says: See, I am setting before you the way of life and the way of death. Whoever stays in this city will die by the sword, famine or plague. But whoever goes out and surrenders to the Babylonians who are besieging you will live; he will escape with his life.​
In other words, God has determined certain outcomes, set down certain "fates", but it remains up to us which fate we choose. He might use those who have already set themselves on a certain path, and "harden their hearts", i.e. bring out their personalities, for those purposes.

(1) "According as he has chosen us in him before the foundation of the world,…Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ himself, according to the good pleasure of his will" (Eph. 1:4-5)

[Note: It means exactly what it says. God cannot pre-destine anything unless he knows what people are going to choose. This verse clearly says that God chooses who to be saved based on his own pleasure even before he made the world. Those who are chosen are predestined to be saved. God has a book of life, which was written before the world begins. If your name is not in the book, you go to hell. It's interesting to see that later verses say that Satan's name is not the book. That implies that God already knew that Satan will betray him, and he ordained Satan to do evil.]
Certainly it means what it says: which is that God has chosen those who choose Him. Note the words "in Him". Ephesians 1:7 continues: "In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace".

Jesus was the means of life in the first place (John 1:3), and has remained thus, so that through Him God's choices might be seen. In the same way, it is only through the prophets that we could see God's choices in advance.

The easiest way to check your doctrine is to realize this: there are actions (brought about by choices), that are by God's own admission outside his Will. Nothing lies outside His "predestination" or his decisions, such as the length of our lives, or the answers to our prayers - there is nothing that He cannot turn for good (Rom. 8:28-30) - but God gives laws and warnings to make sure we know what His will and decisions are.
Leviticus 18:5
Keep my decrees and laws, for the man who obeys them will live by them. I am the LORD.

Lev. 26:14-16 'But if you will not listen to me and carry out all these commands, and if you reject my decrees and abhor my laws and fail to carry out all my commands and so violate my covenant, then I will do this to you: I will bring upon you sudden terror, wasting diseases and fever that will destroy your sight and drain away your life. You will plant seed in vain, because your enemies will eat it.​
What would the point of the second warning be, if God has left them no choice?

God's will is certain and fixed - that much I agree with you - and with His will, our wills are subject to Him. Outside his will, we are sinners and practicing rebellion.

And this is significant: "For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross." (Colossians 1:19) ... and God's choice made a choice:
"Jesus said to them, 'It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.' " (Mark 2:17)... and now we have a choice. That is mercy and love, not control.

In summary:
2 Peter 1:3 His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.
Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.​
Yes, God makes choices - but we should concern ourselves with how they are made, how they affect us, and what they mean for the choices we have to make... and all the while hold on to God's love as evidence that He takes us into account.

Yo Adstar :)

Hi thanks for your thoughtfull response. You have made your response clear and understandable. To keep this short I will just respond to the key points.

A: "No. Adam willingly took part in His own fall."

*If we accept that god is omniscient, and that as Joeman also pointed out, that ALL is pre-ordained as in (Eph. 1:4-5), than we must come to the following conclusion:

Adam had no knowledge of good and evil. Thus we can assume he did not know right from wrong. His opponent, Satan the angel, a superior adversary who seems to know right from wrong, unfairly took advantage of Adams naivety with Gods full knowledge. This is equivalent to a 12 grader taking candy from a pre-schooler. Adam was set up. He did not know right from wrong. Period.

A: "God gave man the possibility of choosing two roads just because he foreknew what road man would choose does not mean that He forced man to take the road that man took."

*So even if god knew the consequences, and Adam had a choice, he nevertheless willfully allowed Adam to make a choice that would lead gods creation into ruin? This is not a compassionate gesture but one designed to lead to a foreplanned outcome. No free will involved here.

A: "I have had many a discussion with calvanists who like you cannot come to terms with the fact that History can be foreknown and also not be pre-ordained they cannot see How predestination can exist in a system where free will exists because they are locked in human thinking that God is restrained in the same Time Zone that we are restricted to That God is restricted by His creation, our dimension, Universe time."

* We as humans, are locked into human thinking by your omniscient gods will. Are we expected to trancend that knowledge when god requires different outcomes? we have to deal with all logic on our limited human terms. Period. Your thinking "god works in mysterious ways" I outrightly reject as an excuse for gods patently unjust behaviour.

A: "Fate Free will and Predestination"

Adstar, I respect your view on this but it makes absolutely no sense to me. perhaps I am too thick! :)

A: "Because God is God He is not a human being trapped in time."

Yeah, yeah, another unfair advantage. And does this let god of the hook for all his unjust behaviour? Its fine, we just don`t understand? I reject this outright.

A: "So i disagree with you. Jesus suffered death and He died, that is His human existence was ended. Just like most human beings up to this time. This will continue to happen to everyone until my Messiah returns."

If Jesus died a man, he would still be dead today. If Jesus is god, he could not die anyway. Which is it to be?

A: "Yes its a setup. But it is a setup to give a way for man to be reconciled to God and for God to be Justified to the Heavenly Host."

So you agree it was a setup. If god was just, there would be no need for re-conciliation. God would not have allowed the seperation. This is indeed a setup.

A: "I suppose i would have been brought up in the teachings of Muhammad."

O.K. and if your entire family and culture was Muslim for countless generations, and you Adstar heard the Christian message, you would instantly convert? Yeah right. So is your god just?

A: "You see them as atrocities from your viewpoint. But God has the Authority to end life He will have mercy on whom He will have mercy he is Just in His will. Gods actions in the OT where justified even if one does not understand them."

Predictable cop-out response. Mysterious ways. What other viewpoint do I have. I am human, made in gods image. But god does not have to face the music.

Thanks again for your thoughts Adstar.

Ahem.

stretched i am disapointed by you lack of open mindedness, it is clear to me that you have not read my post with a view to gaining understanding. Your hatered of God has blinded you from understanding. I hope that this hatred is not a perminent condition.

Joeman thats the first time i have been accused of heresy by an evil clown :D i will copy your post and post it on my favourite Christian forum in the humor section. ;)

Back