Why is god so hard to disbelieve?

Re: Re: Why is god so hard to disbelieve?

Originally posted by ConsequentAtheist
The issue is not that God constructs are necessarilly 'illogical', but that there is no compelling evidence warranting belief.

But that's not the point, is it? Anything beyond this life is pretty much irrelevant, except as a alleged punishment/reward for acting a certain way in life. If it is the right way to act, you should act that way no matter if said judgement does not come; religion is a way to spread that moral philosophy.

In other words, the real issue is whether or not to spread religion, not whether or not it is "true."

Re: Re: Re: Why is god so hard to disbelieve?

Originally posted by sankuro
But that's not the point, is it?
In the context in which it was made, it was my point.

In other words, the real issue is whether or not to spread religion, not whether or not it is "true."
I'm not sure upon what basis you chose to arrogate unto yourself the determination of the "real issue". It does occur to me, however, that "the real issue [of] whether or not to spread religion" may have some dependence upon the accuracy of religious precepts.

clarification

Originally posted by Raithere
The odds of that particular series occurring is only 1 in 52!
Yes, amazing isn't it
Please note that is 52 factorial not 52 exclamation point.

I couldn’t tell if you were being sarcastic or not so I thought I should clarify.

~Raithere

hard?

Religion is not hard to disbelieve. I was nine years old, sitting in Catholic church on a Sunday morning when it hit me. At that moment, all over the country, people were sitting in pews just like me, worshipping different religions and Gods, and willing to argue or even kill over it.

And my Jewish neighbor went yesterday to temple. All over the world people were going to mosques, temples, churches or battlefields like little lemmings, all because that is the local diety where they were born, or because their family told them who God is.

And I realized that they are all idiots, and I started laughing.

I'm still laughing.

Regardless of the fact that they're all idiots, they do a bully job of ingraining their doctrines into the minds of suscpetible children. It's a matter of hooking 'em young. Later in life, it is very hard for these victimized minds to repudiate the absurd idealogy of religion.

Back