Why Does God Exist?

Sam, you do not understand science. I don't know what else to say.

You say "model" and "theory" as if they were seperate things. You confuse the subjective feelings of scientists for the accounting of experimental variables. What, exactly, do you think the word "objective" means?

You seem to think that theories/models of nature are only valid under certain conditions. (if that were the case, they'd be tossed as models).

The fact that controlled experiments are done does not mean they have limited validity, only that the control of variables can help isolate what you are examining.

Some of what you say is true:

Correct.

I guess we just think in different ways.

I guess we just think in different ways.
But... but... you're training to be a scientist. What are they teaching you??? How can you ever hope to perform "objective" experiments on a new nutritional supplement or dietary regime?

But... but... you're training to be a scientist. What are they teaching you??? How can you ever hope to perform "objective" experiments on a new nutritional supplement or dietary regime?

I won't. I don't believe in nutritional supplements and dietary regimens.

Oh. Ok.

Science does not rely on subjective experience for the experimental aspects of testing a theory.

Scientists have subjective opinions regarding their pet theories. The theory is objectively put to the test and found worthy or not.

Instead of me repeating myself over and over, why dont you give me an example of how valid scientific results are achieved by subjective judgements.

No more verbal ping-pong.
Precision in language is important: Science is comprised of objective propositions. Nature, which science studies, must be subjectively experienced; all experiences -- thoughts, feelings, sensory perceptions of things in nature, etc. -- are inherently subjective. The activity of scientific experimentation is not exempt from this rule; and yes, measuring equipment is a part of nature. In fact the testing of a theory is ultimately subjective. Rulers and calipers do not measure length by themselves.

Precision in language is important: Science is comprised of objective propositions. Nature, which science studies, must be subjectively experienced; all experiences -- thoughts, feelings, sensory perceptions of things in nature, etc. -- are inherently subjective. The activity of scientific experimentation is not exempt from this rule; and yes, measuring equipment is a part of nature. In fact the testing of a theory is ultimately subjective. Rulers and calipers do not measure length by themselves.
I think you're misusing the words and applying "subjective" in the wrong sense.

If I create a vacuum in a cylinder and drop an approx. 1g weight and time its fall against the oscillations of a fountain of cesium atoms, how, exactly, does subjectivity come into play?

Our perceptions of things are obviously subjective, but just because a human sets up the experiment does not, if properly done, make the experiment or the results subjective.

No one can "subjectively" experience the charge on a single electron, but by measuring differences in the motion of tiny oil drops (against calibrated standards), one can "objectively" determine this charge.

What is this general distain for "objectivity" that goes on throughout SciForums? It's a real word and it works quite well when used properly.

I think you're misusing the words and applying "subjective" in the wrong sense.

If I create a vacuum in a cylinder and drop an approx. 1g weight and time its fall against the oscillations of a fountain of cesium atoms, how, exactly, does subjectivity come into play?

Our perceptions of things are obviously subjective, but just because a human sets up the experiment does not, if properly done, make the experiment or the results subjective.

No one can "subjectively" experience the charge on a single electron, but by measuring differences in the motion of tiny oil drops (against calibrated standards), one can "objectively" determine this charge.

What is this general distain for "objectivity" that goes on throughout SciForums? It's a real word and it works quite well when used properly.

I think this says it all:

One test is not sufficient in itself. Repeated tests by one scientist alone are insufficient to establish a theory.

Sam, you are way too cryptic for me at times.

Sorry, it's not intentional. I know what I think and why, I'm just not good at dissecting my thoughts and articulating them well enough to be understood.

And sometimes, I run out of patience.:eek:

What if my model is wrong? Do the repeated results (obtainable by all who use my design) still represent reality?
What do you mean: “What if my model is wrong?”

I think the model depends on the question.

Do you mean that the question is wrong or the method of obtaining the data is wrong? Certainly the interpretation of the data may be incorrect. Also, it depends on if the data are used to quantify something or to correlate with some phenomenon.

For example: High ice cream sales correlate with high incidences of murder. Does ice cream affect murder rate? No. Both are correlated to warm weather and increased people out and about.

The data are clearly repeatable and they are correct.
The model of collecting the data is correct and repeatable.
The interpretation of the data is incorrect if one is to say high ice cream sales increases murder rate. No. But one can say: high ice cream sales are correlated with an increased murder rate. Yes.

I hope I wrote that correctly
:)
MII

Do you mean that the question is wrong or the method of obtaining the data is wrong? Certainly the interpretation of the data may be incorrect. Also, it depends on if the data are used to quantify something or to correlate with some phenomenon.

For example: High ice cream sales correlate with high incidences of murder. Does ice cream affect murder rate? No. Both are correlated to warm weather and increased people out and about.

The interpretation of the data is incorrect if one is to say high ice cream sales increases murder rate. No. But one can say: high ice cream sales are correlated with an increased murder rate. Yes.

MII

Well I just went this route with Supe, but I think the model (as the representation of the system you want to explore) affects the question you ask. You obtain certain results which you interpret based on the model used. But the model itself may be an incorrect representation of the system so the results describe the model but not the system.

I hope that was not too obscure.:)

Well I just went this route with Supe, but I think the model (as the representation of the system you want to explore) affects the question you ask. You obtain certain results which you interpret based on the model used. But the model itself may be an incorrect representation of the system so the results describe the model but not the system.

Seek and ye shall find?

MII
Sam is using "model" to mean an actual physical "model" of some system on which to experiment. I (we) are using "model" to denote the theory as in:
"Newtons model of gravity predicts..."

See? We're having 'sam'antic difficulties. (Ha! I made a funny!)

Certainly your in vitro cell culture work is not going to tell you what exactly happens in vivo. Nevertheless, that can not be your initial question – which would of course relate to the in vitro model. So far no problem. The work you do in vitro will help refine the question you ask in your rodent model. From those observations may come a question about primates. Your questions on primates may not look like those you asked about your cell culture (like – Does chemical A increase the number of cells in my dish?) but it may resemble it: Does chemical A increase the number of cells in a primates nose?

The powerful thing of science is that each question has an answer that usually has a probably of >95% confidence of representing reality. Again, the question about the Petri dish will represent the reality of cells in a Petri dish and the question about the rodent will represent the reality of the affect of Chemical A on a rodent. etcetera....

Is there a better approach to understanding reality than the scientific method?

;)
Michael

Is there a better approach to understanding reality than the scientific method?
Theistic dogma has already solved reality and been written down by those privileged to have lived in a time when god was in the habit of speaking directly to, and guiding the hands of, prophets. There is no need to go beyond this simple fact.

Back