Why do you disbelieve?

New Life

Registered Senior Member
Do you think christianity is fake because you've found something that actually doesnt make sense to you or are you just afraid of something? (commitment, intimate relationships, etc)?? cause most of the people trying to prove christians wrong sound like they just dont want to believe it!

I think it's a sign of the times. More and more people are waking up (including myself) to the fact that god is a myth.

yeah, the sad part is the question itself. the question is "why do you believe?". asking it the other way around can only mean one thing.

the FACT that God is a myth? a lot of what I hear from unbelievers is that you cant possibly know for sure so how can you say the fact that god is a myth?

and what could it mean to ask the question I did?

Originally posted by New Life
the FACT that God is a myth? a lot of what I hear from unbelievers is that you cant possibly know for sure so how can you say the fact that god is a myth?
Yeah ok, perhaps the wrong choice of word. Perhaps "fact" isn't the correct word to use here. How about... more people today believe that god is a figment of human imagination, similar to a tooth fairy.

Perhaps if you can give a convincing argument for why one should believe that applies to us, then we will in turn believe. Perhaps not.

Why I don't believe...because thus far I have not seen the above. I cannot believe something just because other people believe, or because it's in a book. The key term is "convincing".

It is not so much a matter of disbelieving as there being no good reason to believe. Ockam's razor would suggest that there isn't a God, and voila, provisional atheism.

cause most of the people trying to prove christians wrong sound like they just dont want to believe it!

Of course we don't want to believe it: people like their worldviews to be reasonably solid, doubt is disquieting. More so theists because they far more psychologically dependant on their religion. It is a general psychological thingy.

Because in almost seventy years on this planet I have had
no personal expericence that required I 'believe' something
or other to survive.

:cool:

Do you think christianity is fake because you've found something that actually doesnt make sense to you or are you just afraid of something?

Yup. I'm afraid of slavery. Terrified, in fact. If I thought that I'd end up with my mind being controlled by anything, I'd shoot myself right here and now.

(commitment, intimate relationships, etc)?? cause most of the people trying to prove christians wrong sound like they just dont want to believe it!

*Yawns*

Aaaaand the Fallacy-O-Meter jumps off the scale.

Originally posted by Vienna
Yeah ok, perhaps the wrong choice of word. Perhaps "fact" isn't the correct word to use here. How about... more people today believe that god is a figment of human imagination, similar to a tooth fairy.

Truly I say unto you, ATHEISM HAVE NO ARGUMENT TO DISPROVE GOD, BUT ONLY TO INSERT "GIANT PURPLE SQUID MONKEY" IN ORDER TO DENY GOD....STUPIDITY IS THE KEY TO ATHEISM.......WHO CARES ABOUT "CONVINCING", ATHEISTS DONT BELIEVE IN THAT.....
FACT THAT MANY ARE MARTYRED, BILLIONS BELIEVE, NUMEROUS WERE HEALED AND TESTIFIED, SCIENTIFICALLY INVESTIGATED, MIRACLES DOCUMENTED FACT (SUPERNATURAL CLAIM REQUIRES SUPERNATURAL EVIDENCE)........LETS IGNORE ALL THIS CONVINCING EVIDENCE......AND INSERT "TOOTHFAIRY AND GIANT PURPLE SQUID MONKEY NEXT TO IT"..........HOW MANY FOLLOWERS AND MARTYRS FOR TOOTHFAIRIES??????

ONCE AGAIN, STUPIDITY IS THE KEY TO ATHEISM......FACT, THEY CAN NEVER PROVE THAT GOD DONT EXIST, PERIOD........YOU THINK YOU CAN??? WELL THEN, TELL ME, IM WAITING.........

I normally like to stay away from these arguments, but what the hell...

I am not a disbeliever. I do not claim there is no God. I claim there is no reason to believe in God. The church has taught you to have contempt for your senses and your time on earth... Athiests say this is all we have, and it's not a bad thing. It's just a paradigm shift. There is no reason we can't be alone in this universe. And there's no reason for that to be a bad thing. I understand why people of the past believed in God, but the need for that belief is dying. Have faith in reason. Appreciate the art of fact. Take in to account every source of evidence, and you will realize there is no reason to believe in God. I can't prove God doesn't exist, just as you can't prove he does... But when something can't be proven to exist or not, it's much more logical to assume it doesn't. Whatsupyall was probably raised his whole life believing in God. Even if not, that's not the point. He lives in a world where he sees "evidence" of God every day. But when his evidence is explained in other ways, he shuts off, refusing to see the merit of other explanations. "God did it! Prove me wrong! I'm waiting..." It's not that we can't prove him wrong, we have many times over, it's that we can't change his mind. He has faith. And good for him. But that doesn't mean he has faith in what is the truth. Just that he has faith. If that works for him, great. But if it's the truth you're looking for, be objective. Open your eyes. Do not be afraid. If God doesn't exist, which is more likely, then he never did...

Do you think christianity is fake because you've found something that actually doesnt make sense to you or are you just afraid of something? (commitment, intimate relationships, etc)?? cause most of the people trying to prove christians wrong sound like they just dont want to believe it!

New Life and Whatsupyall,

Don't forget about all the other religions out there. Do you believe in each and every one of them too? If not, please explain to me why you think [enter religion] is fake. Is it "because you've found something that actually doesnt make sense to you or are you just afraid of something?"

Originally posted by notme2000
But when his evidence is explained in other ways, he shuts off, refusing to see the merit of other explanations.

Your right, I refuse to accept stupid arguments. such as the "Super luck" argument, or "I dont know but I believe God dont exist and to have belief is stupid. Faith is stupid". A stupid and contradictory Comments like these I refuse to accept....

Originally posted by notme2000

"God did it! Prove me wrong! I'm waiting..." It's not that we can't prove him wrong, we have many times over,

You are brainwashing yourself with these words.......SINCE WHEN DID YOU ATHEISTS EVER PROVE ME WRONG???

The only thing you taught me is that "To know means to control, therefore God dont exist...".(Omniscience/freewill argument)...STUPID! HOW DARE YOU CALL THEISTS "DELUSIONAL", LOOK AT THE MIRROR, AND SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!

You also said...."God is giant purple squid monkey, therefore God dont exist..."....

And then said "I have not seen God, therefore God dont exist"......

?????? SINCE WHEN DID YOU EVER PROVE ME WRONG????? POINT ONE THING I SAID THAT IS WRONG AND STOP FALSELY ACCUSING ME.....I HAVE POINTED OUT YOUR BRAINWASHED FALSE COMMENTS ABOVE, DO THE SAME IF YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING LIKE YOU THEN.......

Why don't I believe in a god?

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
Carl Sagan

Where is the evidence?

Originally posted by whatsupyall
FACT THAT MANY ARE MARTYRED, BILLIONS BELIEVE, NUMEROUS WERE HEALED AND TESTIFIED, SCIENTIFICALLY INVESTIGATED, MIRACLES DOCUMENTED FACT (SUPERNATURAL CLAIM REQUIRES SUPERNATURAL EVIDENCE)........LETS IGNORE ALL THIS CONVINCING EVIDENCE......

You think that is convincing evidence?

"Take from the church the miraculous, the supernatural, the incomprehensible, the unreasonable, the impossible, the unknowable, the absurd, and nothing but a vacuum remains."
Robert G. Ingersoll (Ingersoll's Works, Vol. 1, p. 285)

Truly I say unto you, ATHEISM HAVE NO ARGUMENT TO DISPROVE GOD, ....STUPIDITY IS THE KEY TO ATHEISM.......

Actually reason, common sense and the scientific method are the keys to atheism. Stupidity is believing in something irrational purely on faith. The argument to disprove God is that there is no rational evidence of his existence.

FACT, THEY CAN NEVER PROVE THAT GOD DONT EXIST, PERIOD........YOU THINK YOU CAN??? WELL THEN, TELL ME, IM WAITING.........

What about the fact that you can never provr that god does exist? The burne of proof is on the proponent of such an extraodinary claim. (see carl Sagan's qoute above).

And regarding christian/judeo religious thinking:

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."
Gene Roddenberry

oz

why i do not believe in god...

first problem:

which god or gods should I believe in?

second problem:

i do not accept authority (blindly)

third problem:

There is no indication that a god/multiple gods exist

fourth problem:

religion claims to have the truth: there is no truth

fifth problem:

i am an individual. I don't want to belong to a group.

sixth problem:

religion harms people. I do not want to be harmed unneccesarily

shit...could probably go on forever with this list...

why i should believe in god:

first: i can't think of any reason....which would be a good reason to not to believe in god

You are brainwashing yourself with these words.......SINCE WHEN DID YOU ATHEISTS EVER PROVE ME WRONG???
I've never proved your claims wrong, I've proved your faith wrong.
You also said...."God is giant purple squid monkey, therefore God dont exist..."....

And then said "I have not seen God, therefore God dont exist"......
You are ignoring the bigger lessons here. Trying to make the claims look silly. Purple Squid Monkey is to take away the glory of God so you can see for yourself what a huge claim you are making without being blinded my the "glory" of a god.
"I have not seen God therefore God don't exist" was never said by me. First of all, my grammar is better than that. Second of all, my argument would be "I have never seen God or any evidence of one therefore there is no reason to have faith that one exists, though I suppose it is still possible that, by fluke, a God does exist," But you can try to make me look stupid for your own benefit, because it would be too hard for you to let yourself at least see the merit in my arguments.

"It often takes more courage to change one's opinion than to stick to it"

Back