Why do some people consider themselves "atheist"?

It also seems that Fundamentalist Christians have captured the idea of atheism for their own agenda, to mean anything anti-Fundamentalist. So if I say that Noah's Ark is a fable, they will call me an atheist.

I am not going to call you atheist , you are a nice guy even you are what you are

It also seems that Fundamentalist Christians have captured the idea of atheism for their own agenda, to mean anything anti-Fundamentalist. So if I say that Noah's Ark is a fable, they will call me an atheist.
Can you be a Christian and an atheist at the same time?
Are you a Christian?
:confused:

I am not going to call you atheist , you are a nice guy even you are what you are

Why would a lack of belief in a god make anyone a bad person? The only reason some people don't want to use that term for themselves is that same stigma that the religious society around them place upon it. But that's simply its projection upon the word...the meaning of atheist is a pretty simple one.

You are asking me the second time .
When it comes to cross the river we see.

Did I ask that already? It seems like a good question, since you appear to be basing your whole belief system on this. If you cannot say that you would stop believing in God if the evidence for the origin of life were understood scientifically, then it's not your real reason for belief.

Did I ask that already? It seems like a good question, since you appear to be basing your whole belief system on this. If you cannot say that you would stop believing in God if the evidence for the origin of life were understood scientifically, then it's not your real reason for belief.

O told you I am a gambler . I don't know the future . Beside I rather believe then be positive on something that I don't know. If science will produce life that is great

"Atheism" is a concept that derives its meaning and relevance from the concept "theism."
Without "theism," there can be no "atheism."
"Atheism" is a term that originated among theists to describe those who were without gods.

I call myself an atheist because I fit the definition, I don't believe in any gods. I don't personally see any reason not to, it's a readily identifiable term(whereas "bright" as some have attempted to relabel us is not) and it doesn't carry the same negativity that "materialist" does(given that the term is always assumed to be a moral term)

Yeah, as a term it takes it's origins from theism, but that's merely a twist of fate. Atheism is the default state for all humans, we all start off as atheists and learn to be theists. Hence I don't really see a problem here.

O told you I am a gambler . I don't know the future . Beside I rather believe then be positive on something that I don't know. If science will produce life that is great

You would rather believe a falsehood because it makes you feel good than admit you don't know something?

You would rather believe a falsehood because it makes you feel good than admit you don't know something?

Why falsehood , The teaching of Jesus are real, the prophesy of some prophets in the bible have materialized ... them if they have materialized should I not believe in some things that are written ?
Here we are talking Hypothesis ( prediction ) if thing take place don't we call them theory in science . Why not apply the same rational ?

But it could be false, since there is only a story as opposed to the physical evidence we find in science.

I would also suggest that predictions must be specific or they lose credibility.

@spidergoat --

I would also suggest that predictions must be specific or they lose credibility.

Not only that but they should also be made before the event actually occurred, such is not the case with most of the "prophecies" in the bible. And let's not forget all of the failed prophecies as well, in order to make an accurate assessment you must take all of the data into account.

But it could be false, since there is only a story as opposed to the physical evidence we find in science.

Here is one of the prophesy

I believe also in Isaiah 53

“This is what the Sovereign LORD says: ‘See, I will beckon to the nations, I will lift up my banner to the peoples; they will bring your sons in their arms and carry your daughters on their hips'.” — Isaiah 49:22

Growing up and hearing the Scriptures read in synagogue, I often puzzled over this particular verse. What could that possibly mean — that God would summon the other nations to carry His sons and daughters back to their homeland, Jerusalem? How was that going to happen?

The verse comes in context of other promises God made to His people: “in the day of salvation I will help you” (v. 8), “I will not forget you! See, I engraved you on the palms of my hands” (v. 15-16). God promised that He would never forget Israel, His people. Just as He did during the time of the Exodus, God heard His people’s cries and promised to restore them.

It was not the first time that Isaiah recorded this promise from God. In chapter 14, he wrote: “The LORD will have compassion on Jacob; once again he will choose Israel and will settle them in their own land. . . . Nations will take them and bring them to their own place” (14:1-2).

Such beautiful promises! Such wonderful encouragement! These words have been a source of comfort for the Jewish people not only during the exile to Babylon, but to Jews who have been scattered throughout the earth since 70 C.E. But the question was always how was this going to happen? How was God going to use the “nations” to bring His people back?

I think we’re seeing the answer today. God is summoning Christians from among the nations — from the United States, Canada, South America, and around the world — to help bring His people back to Israel through ministries such as The Fellowship’s On Wings of Eagles. Today, we are seeing Jews returning to Israel from the four corners of the earth — from the former Soviet Union, Africa, India, Yemen, and Morocco — and it is faithful Christians who are carrying Jewish sons and daughters back.

I thank God for His provision, for His moving in the hearts of so many and stirring them to answer the call. I am thankful for the partnership of my Christian friends in helping to fulfill this prophecy. We all can rejoice in serving a God who proves Himself faithful over and over again to fulfilling all He has promised.

If you haven’t already, won’t you consider joining us in this important ministry? And if you are already involved, who can you summon to join us?

With prayers for shalom, peace,

@Rob --

Most agnostics are atheists too. If you can't know whether or not any deities exist then you're highly unlikely to believe in them.

Of course there are very few real agnostics out there, most of them are weak atheists who prefer to label themselves as agnostics for one reason or another.

We make a lots of observations and plenty of guesses in Science.
Quite often one theory is dependent on another but in the end it is guesswork.:)

@Rob --

Sure, we make guesses in science. What we don't do in science is say that those guesses are the truth, we don't make excuses to keep using the guesses when they turn out to be wrong, and our guesses actually work.

Tell me, which "guess" that religion has made has turned out to work?

@Rob --

Sure, we make guesses in science. What we don't do in science is say that those guesses are the truth, we don't make excuses to keep using the guesses when they turn out to be wrong, and our guesses actually work.

Tell me, which "guess" that religion has made has turned out to work?
I don't identify with the "churches" as such. They have made mistakes for sure.:)

Back