why do religious people, call atheists, satanists.

the preacher

fur is loose 666
Registered Senior Member
I am an atheist, not a satanist.
I dont believe in a god/god's, so therefore have no believe in satan.
to believe in one would mean, to believe in the other.( Not Logical)
so why are atheist called satanist.
by all you believers.

religious folk, theres to many differant religions, hence why I used the term believers.
and Ive found over the years that 99% of them call us satanist, even on this forum.

Well, when I referred to atheists as Satanists, I erred by not fully explaining myself. I did not mean atheists WORSHIP Satan, as such, but succumb to his ploys:

Example:
Slaves of God try to be more like Him.
Those who reject God do not try to be more like Him.

Agreed?

Well, guess who Christians become like in accepting God? Christ.
Guess who atheists become like in rejecting God? Satan.

Perhaps Satanist wasn't the best word to use, but I don't know of any other noun for this sort of description.

Hope it is clearer now.

Lemming3k said:
That doesnt mean they succeed in what they try.

That doesnt mean that because they dont try to be like him they arnt like him.

I wasn't implying that they (whichever party) will or will not be "like" Him.

1 Peter 1
14As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."

Since atheists do not believe in God, they do not obey this commandment, you agree? And my point was, neither does Satan.

So if Satan tries to disobey God by being unholy and slaves of God obey the commandment but atheists disobey the commandment, you can see who is being like who..

§outh§tar said:
Example:
Slaves of God try to be more like Him.

Agreed?
Only in a superficial sense. While atheist may not specifically be trying to be like God they may still share the same values as God is proclaimed to possess. In this sense they might actually come closer to behaving like God than a professed Christian who has a poor understanding, attitude, or is otherwise compromised in achieving their goal. In fact, I often notice non-Christians (including atheists) who demonstrate a more 'Christian' attitude than professed Christians. Including you SS. Self-righteousness, judgmental, accusing, and bearing false witness are not Christian ideals. Calling people Satanists and accusing them of vile practices is not particularly Christ-like but then that's not what you're really concerned with, is it?

~Raithere

SouthStar,

Since atheists do not believe in God, they do not obey this commandment, you agree?
No that is not correct. Atheists do not believe in the existence of your god, so from their perspective it is impossible to obey or disobey something that does not exist.

And my point was, neither does Satan.
So this is where the comparison fails since Satan does believe in the existence of God and deliberately disobeys.

So if Satan tries to disobey God by being unholy and slaves of God obey the commandment but atheists disobey the commandment, you can see who is being like who..
Atheists simply disbelieve that your Christian gods exist and cannot be meaningfully compared to either of them.

I fully understand that you need to believe Christian propaganda that attempts to associate atheists with despicable evil forces. But what you really demonstrate is basic Christan intolerance for others that hold alternate views.

Kat

Religion -- at least the Abrahamic kinds -- is an exercise in cognitive dissonance. One has to believe two contradictory premises at the same time. The monotheistic, patriarchal religions of the Mideast are based on the Stone Age legends of people who had no idea how the universe worked. The more we learn about the universe, the more it conflicts with Abrahamic tradition. So the patriarchal monotheists have two choices: back off from the more pathetically ridiculous tenets of their faith and strip it down to something like Unitarianism, or hang on to the drenn and try to discredit anyone who challenges it.

For a long time it seemed that the Unitarian faction was winning out. Not that the actual Unitarian Church was swelling in membership, but most of the mainline Protestants, a good many Catholics, most Jews, and a growing number of Muslims were coming around to the same conclusions as secularists, that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny and Jack-o-Lanterns (and the equivalent Jewish and Islamic symbols) are good harmless legends to teach our children and that humans have within them, especially collectively, the power to create a good and honorable world.

But somewhere toward the end of the 1970s, the great intellectual movement that had gripped America since WWII lost steam. It was suddenly not only OK but downright attractive to be stupid and ignorant. The fundamentalist churches that had been pushed back into the fetid swamps of the Old South began to gain members. People with college degrees and houses full of man-made, technological miracles started feeling guilty over their wild hippie youths, yet felt that simply growing up and acting like responsible adults was too difficult a penance to pay. So they took the easy way out and joined churches that promised them forgiveness and in return only asked for a few hours of their time, an affordable chunk of their salary, and a promise to renounce reason, the scientific method, and all of the most important things they had learned about getting along in the universe.

What they didn't remind their "born again" Neolithic members of was the fact that they would have to embrace the cognitive dissonance of their ancestors. This had become much harder than it was in the era of the Scopes Monkey Trial. Everywhere they went they were surrounded by people who still knew that belief in supernatural salvation was not the best way to create a better world. So to avoid having to dialog with us, they fell back on what the Abrahamists do best: open conflict. We were no longer their friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers who disagreed with them over a philosophical point. If we were that, we might have to be taken seriously, or at the very least treated with respect. No, we became "Satanists."

"Humanist" had been a good enough label for years, but the concept of having faith in human nature no longer evoked feelings of disapproval in most people, so they had to come up with something stronger. "Satanist" it was.

You don't have to respond to the arguments of a Satanist. By definition, Satanists have the ability to dazzle even the most brilliant, well educated humans (i.e. those with an unthinking belief in the Abrahamic legends) with their arguments, arguments which by definition are evil and wrong. You can just dismiss Satanists without even listening to or reading their words. Better than that, you are actually under an obligation to NOT listen to or read their words, because you are a weak, sniveling piece of dog doodoo on God's lawn and you could easily be swayed by the persuasive arguments of the Satanists. No, the best thing to do with Satanists is ostracize them, if you have the bad luck to live in a country that doesn't allow you to shoot them or at least cram them into ghettoes.

So the answer to your question is: They call us Satanists because that way they never have to take anything we say seriously, and their fragile belief system based on coginitive dissonance can survive for a few more generations, either until the Abrahamists blow each other (and all the rest of us) up in their virtually endless wars and genocides, or until scholarship and education once again find a big audience and the Abrahamic churches sink back into the dark, backward margins of civilization, hopefully this time for good.

No, the criteria for worshiping Satan is assuming his word is true. So an atheist could indeed worship Satan, but since they do not know the word is Satan, they are not labeled Satanist.

okinrus said:
No, the criteria for worshiping Satan is assuming his word is true. So an atheist could indeed worship Satan, but since they do not know the word is Satan, they are not labeled Satanist.
M*W: Yes, my young man, worshipping "Satan is assuming his word is true." Atheists neither believe in nor worship "Satan." Therefore, they are not Satanists.

§outh§tar said:
so why do religious morrons always acuse/critisize free thinkers/scientists who when searching for new advances in technology such as cloning or stem cell research for example as PLAYING GOD? ;)

btw how do you reject something that dont exists? :rolleyes:
Well, guess who Christians become like in accepting God? Christ.
nope,
you become narrow minded superstitious slaves to your cult!
Guess who atheists become like in rejecting God? Satan.
whats Satan?

so why do religious morrons always acuse/critisize free thinkers/scientists who when searching for new advances in technology such as cloning or stem cell research for example as PLAYING GOD?

Hey, if your going to put the word "moron" in your sentence, at least spell it correctly!

Okinrus,

No idea what you were trying to say here but please remember that atheists lack belief in gods and Satan is one of the 5 Christian gods, (dad, Mary, son, ghost, devil).

Kat

Mary is NOT a god. The Father, Son, and Ghost are one. Satan is not a god, but a fallen angel.

Enigma,

Mary is NOT a god. Thr Father, Son, and Ghost are one. Satan is not a god, but a fallen angel.
Catholics pray to Mary so she must be a god.

Satan has supernatutal powers so he must be a god.

Father, son and ghost have three distinct personalities so they are three gods.

Kat

okinrus said:
Yes, we know that's how it works in polite scholarly company, even among colleagues with different opinions of religion. But I too believe that the word is often bandied about by the Neanderthal contingent of Christendom as a way of:

1. Convincing the faithful that they shouldn't even listen to non-religionists because even though they speak lies they're so eloquent that they could be convincing; and

2. Planting the seeds of "specieism": if non-religionists are Satanists, they are such bad people that they don't deserve even a minimal level of civility; if circumstances permit it would be okay to simply kill them off.

Both of these tactics keep the faithful from stepping outside their boundaries and hearing what the other side has to say, a key tactic in the maintenance of cognitive dissonance.

Back