Why do many Americans believe in God?

It seems that everybody believes in that which they do not know.

Some believe in a "GOD" which is the motive organizing force in/of the universe, and ultimately, us.
Some believe that all of the universe and this marvelous shared co-evolutionary biom is the result of random events.

And, ultimately, we all make these choices out of ignorance.

(btaIcbw)

Ok, then
You know some of(one of, all of, a few of, 1 or 2 of...etc.) the causal factors involved?
Evolution isn't random. It's a common misconception. So I would word it this way:
Some believe a god created and micromanages all things, others believe that reality is a complex cascade of cause and effect, the origins of which are largely unknown.

Evolution isn't random. It's a common misconception.
"random mutations" isn't that the common conception?
So I would word it this way:
Some believe a god created and micromanages all things, others believe that reality is a complex cascade of cause and effect, the origins of which are largely unknown.
"god created and micromanages all things"
implies a definition of "god".
True?
the origins of which are largely unknown

AMEN

unknown origins or an unknowable, indefinable "god"
Is there really much of a difference?

There are known knowns,
known unknowns,
and unknown unknowns.
For many, ignorance of ignorance ain't really much of a bother.

Perhaps, the answer lies within, or is limited by the question?

Faith is a test of oneself within in the absence of knowledge. Langan says we can dispense with it though, now that he's proven God. But even he still needs faith in certain things in the absence of knowledge.

I have never, and will never attempt a definition of "GOD"! And, even if I did, i certainly wouldn't share it.
Too late, you already said God is necessary for micromanaging life and the universe. That's a partial definition.

CTMU:
Roughly: The universe as a self creating, self regulating self contained entity that requires nothing outside of it's self to exist.
Then, call that concept "GOD"
hmm
ok
And before the universe was the universe?

We see midpoints and some think them beginnings.

unknown unknowns abound

You said that, not me.
OK, you said: "Some believe in a "GOD" which is the motive organizing force in/of the universe..." That is in opposition to natural organizing forces, such as evolution. And it is a definition of sorts, one that can be tested.

Can we do experiment to Test whether a person is a True Christian?
Setting up the experimental procedure, analytical method, expected outcome.
If you fulfill the criteria, then you are a Christian.

I was baptized before, but I renounced my faith in 2002.
However, sometimes I go to Church also,
does that make me a Christian?

Natural organizing forces are fairly well known. I write algorithms to reproduce these manifestations computationally. It may seem like magic, but often, complex results can be created using a combination of simple rules.

Back