Why do many Americans believe in God?

[ aside ]
I know. I think I see what you're doing. I often do it myself in IRL* discussions.

You're essentially getting your opponent to hang himself by his own rope, rather than you making assertions of them that could be denied. (A fictional example: If, say, pluto were to admit admit that, say, Wiki is his authoritative source, you have allowed him to shoot himself in the foot. Which is much better than you insinuating that his sources are questionable, i.e. shooting him yourself, allowing him to be outraged)). This is probably different than how you might describe it. The essential point remains though, not to accuse opponents of a flaw, but rather to let them essentially confess their flaw.

It's a sound technique - under certain circumstances. It works when a) there are few participants, b) when the issue is narrow in focus and c) when there is no time limit. Unfortunately, in an online forum there are a) too many participants, b) too many parallel discussions and c) the thread moves along too fast - for the technique to be effective.

In good faith, it often behooves one to make their points short and sweet, and not simply draw the discussion out into a infinitely regressive loop of answering question with question.

* in real life

[ /aside ]

That can be a technique one may employ, but it can also be the result of a natural, conversational flow, no technique needed.

The cards begin to fall that way when truth claims are being made, but aren't backed up. Or truth claims made, that only scratch the surface, of a particular issue, but are reluctant to delve deeper into the matter.

Jan.

The natural beauty and bounty of the wide open and natural America was also very conducive to the faithful of religion; God had shed his grace on thee.
The natural beauty and bounty of a land long inhabited by non-Christians, contrasted with the ugliness and poverty of lands long inhabited by Christians, might just as easily have been conducive to some reflection on God's apparent choice of grace bestowals.

I'm not the one claiming that there are predominantly more theists in prison than atheist (insinuating that theists are less moral), secular children are kinder, or atheists are more intelligent. :)

You can tell, after time, if someone is a theist just by the way they approach the subject of God.

jan.

Intellegence calls on not trust but belief in justice.

Everyone can say that he/she is a Christian,
but what really is a Christian? Who know?

The colour of your skin and an American accent automatically makes you a Christian in some parts of the world.

That and celebrating Christmas.

Everyone can say that he/she is a Christian,
but what really is a Christian? Who know?

That is a good question.
An atheist cannot know what is a Christian, because, they are atheist, in the same way a man cannot know what it is like to be a woman, because he is a man. Yet they make knowledge claims about things they cannot possible know. In this regard they are liars.

jan.

That is a good question.
An atheist cannot know what is a Christian, because, they are atheist, in the same way a man cannot know what it is like to be a woman, because he is a man. Yet they make knowledge claims about things they cannot possible know. In this regard they are liars.

jan.
Bull. Many atheists were Christians or some other thing. It's not like some secret cult.

Bull. Many atheists were Christians or some other thing. It's not like some secret cult.

Yeah, in the same way that you believe they were Christians. By saying they are Christians.
You cannot be a follower of a person, or system of rules and regulations, by simply saying that you are.

jan.

That is a good question.

jan.

I'll happily receive a warning for this:

You're an idiot.

Yeah, in the same way that you believe they were Christians. By saying they are Christians.
You cannot be a follower of a person, or system of rules and regulations, by simply saying that you are.

jan.
But people do sincerely become atheists after being Christian, some after studying to become pastors, some after being pastors. Denying this fact is not a rebuttal.

You don't get any special knowledge when you become a Christian, you just adopt a faith position, which I claim is fake knowledge.

But people do sincerely become atheists after being Christian, some after studying to become pastors, some after being pastors. Denying this fact is not a rebuttal.

You don't get any special knowledge when you become a Christian, you just adopt a faith position, which I claim is fake knowledge.

I'll happily receive a warning for this:

*Whpoo*. Take that. Spit.

Back