Why do many Americans believe in God?

What's wrong with that, from the point of yourw world view?
What's wrong with being dead from my point of view? I only get one life, then nothing. I'd prefer to have a long and happy life, obviously.

What's wrong with being in prison, from my point of view? I only get one life, and again I'd prefer it to be long and happy. Prison doesn't seem like a very happy place to me.

How about you?

Neither have I, but I don't think you need experience of ruthless gang members to have an idea of why one may be nice, and comply.
Oh I see. You're saying that when a person is afraid of being violently assaulted in some way, they are being "nice" to their potential assailant if they try to avoid said result by trying to talk politely and work their way out of the situation. Is that what you're saying?

So what was your question again?

These are just a few of many reasons why one may claim belief in God.
But how do you know which of those reasons it is, or if any of those reasons are valid in a particular instance? My point is that you have no way of telling what a person really, really, really thinks that is more reliable than taking their word for it.

But how do you know which of those reasons it is, or if any of those reasons are valid in a particular instance? My point is that you have no way of telling what a person really, really, really thinks that is more reliable than taking their word for it.

I'm not the one claiming that there are predominantly more theists in prison than atheist (insinuating that theists are less moral), secular children are kinder, or atheists are more intelligent. :)

You can tell, after time, if someone is a theist just by the way they approach the subject of God.

jan.

I'm not the one claiming that there are predominantly more theists in prison than atheist....
Neither am I. it's the prisoners who are making the claim.

You can tell, after time, if someone is a theist just by the way they approach the subject of God.
You can tell after a time if somebody is moral just by their behaviour - and it has nothing to do with whether they are a theist or not.

I'm not the one claiming that there are predominantly more theists in prison than atheist (insinuating that theists are less moral), secular children are kinder, or atheists are more intelligent. :)

jan.
I'm not saying theists are less moral, just that theism is an obvious failure for making people more moral. Like theists claim.

Neither am I. it's the prisoners who are making the claim.

You asked: So why do so many believers have such low moral values?
Why are there so many believers in prison?

You also said: Based on behaviour, atheists seem to be more Christ-like than Christians. Based on profession of belief, atheists seem to be more Christ-like than Christians.

You can tell after a time if somebody is moral just by their behaviour - and it has nothing to do with whether they are a theist or not.

I didn't say it did.

jan.

I'm not sure how you arrived at these conclusions, which is why I asked to show how you discriminated between people who believe in God, and people who don't.
I'm asking you to explain the difference: If believers have a secret source of morality, why are there believers in prison? You've tried to out-flank the question by claiming that we can't trust prisoners when they claim to be believers but you haven't given an honest answer.

I'm asking you to explain the difference: If believers have a secret source of morality, why are there believers in prison? You've tried to out-flank the question by claiming that we can't trust prisoners when they claim to be believers but you haven't given an honest answer.

You're acting as though your claim is true. I don't accept that it is.
How did you discriminat?

Jan.

Back