Why do many Americans believe in God?

Apart from the ''havin' fun'' part, this makes no sense.
You're right, I am ''havin fun''. Aren't you?
I bet Sarkus is.
That's all right. While you are having fun, I've gotten you to acknowledge all the intermediary points that led to my assertion that god is plausibly a human-made - concept. And that's what I set out to do.

Now, before you pass the responsibility of examples on to me, simply re-read your responses to my posts about the issue. Yours are requests for clarification, in the form of questions; they are not refutations.

Question for Jan, if God isn't material, how can he affect material? Cause and effect only applies to material causes and material effects.

If all perception ceases to be, what is left.
Within our universe there would be the same amount of matter and energy as there ever has been, merely in a form that does not have the ability to perceive.
Already have.
Your lack of actually doing so suggests otherwise. All you do is make claims. Zero support. And then you simply claim "Already have" much as you simply claim "You're wrong".
Offer something, Jan. Anything would be a start as long as it is actual support.
Same difference.
Clearly they're not. God is part of "everything" - thus if "everything ceased to be"... you do the math this time, Jan. :rolleyes:
In my world view, God is the cause of everything (including) perception, as opposed to stuff popping into existence by itself. So ''everything ceased to be'' is non different than ''If God decides to wrap every thing up''. That's what it would take to wrap everything up.
Fallacy of equivocation. The two are patently not the same. You are introducing assumptions when you say "If God decides..."
This is simply another example of you obfuscating, muddying the waters, filling the discussion with drivel.
It's not a red-herring, which is why you went on to try and answer the question, albeit pathetically.
Fallacy on your part, Jan. My willingness to humour you is no indication of it being a red-herring or not. Get an education in logic, Jan. It's painful reading the turgid nonsense you spout.
If you insist that it is, then show it. Don't just assert it.
Apologies, Jan, but I thought it was fairly obvious... the fact that you're claiming you can not spot the difference between "if everything ceased to be..." and "If God decides to..." then that speaks volumes for the lengths to which you're prepared to go in what you see as an effort to save face.
You mean you couldn't know it if you didn't exist.
So what? You've just accepted my point.
WTF?? We DO exist. We DO know it. You can't refute knowledge on the basis that if we didn't exist we wouldn't know it. Again - the depths to which you're prepared to go are staggering.
Once again. Stop being a douche, and pull yourself together. I am addressing your points from my world view, and you're doing a hopeless job of maintaining any credibility for your world view.
You're on the ropes Sarkus.
No, you're not addressing my points, Jan. You're merely restating the same thing again and again. Your only response is "you're wrong!" Your worldview is based on an a priori assumption that clearly dampens your ability to respond with any intellect. You put on blinkers and then like a toddler who's fed up with the game simply trashes it.
Grow up, Jan. Do us all a favour.
So basically you're asserting that things exist outside of perception?
Can you properly support this claim?
Yes, Jan, I am asserting that, and I have supported it - which you would realise if you're not so intent on simply destroying this thread.
But to repeat from post #210: "As to how we can know it: our perception can only be of something that exists prior to our perception (it does take time for our brain to receive any input from that thing). Whether we perceive that thing as it is in reality is a different matter - but that thing exists whether we perceive it or not."
Understand?
Note that you need a black box (something), to demonstrate that nothing is inside it.
No shit Sherlock, you're just reiterating my point.
If you really want to impress me, show me nothing without something having to be the star of the show.
Come with a demonstration of nothingness, no co dependency. Then we'll carry on this discussion.
Fallacy of false precision, Jan. It is not the metaphorical black box that is important but what is inside it: what you demand is simply not necessary to garner an understanding of what is inside. You surely know this, which is why I can only assume it is yet more effort to drag the discussion down.

The only demonstration of nothingness I can come up with for you, Jan, is your intellect in this regard.
I guess you won't accept that, thus I shall assume you have ended this discussion. Your further response to me, however, will show you unable to even hold to that, and confirm you to be the charlatan that you have already amply demonstrated to myself and others that you are.

Question for Jan, if God isn't material, how can he affect material? Cause and effect only applies to material causes and material effects.
Limitations (such as cause and effect being the only method for natural things to do anything) aren't prohibitory to those whom they do not affect.

Limitations (such as cause and effect being the only method for natural things to do anything) aren't prohibitory to those whom they do not affect.

Can you please make sense.

I don't like dishonesty.

Your ambiguous statement is as good as lying.

Can you please make sense.

I don't like dishonesty.

Your ambiguous statement is as good as lying.
Sorry. Basically, I believe the rules and laws of the natural universe are limitations, and it is those limitations that separates us from a supernatural existence capable of doing anything, effectively. Basically, God isn't limited by cause and effect, therefore must not function under cause and effect. He also isn't restrained by some law that would prohibit Him from interacting with the relatively material world, just because He is, according to our relative perspective, immaterial. Of course, it is tricky to define God as immaterial as apposed to material, because those words have fundamentally different meanings than simply natural and super-natural after all.

The laws or rules of nature don't enable us to do things, but rather limit us in what we can do. Just because God isn't bound by those laws doesn't mean He can't interact with a world governed by those laws.

Also, lying is deliberately saying things you don't believe to be true. So even if I didn't explain what I was saying well enough, comparing it to lying is a bit unfair.

Last edited:
Well how's this for a moral code:

The attitude towards ourselves and others runs basically parallel

We treat others with respect in reality and thus make reality a less hostile place.

Where is God in that? Is God lack of moral character that you can't be honest with yourself?

Well how's this for a moral code:

The attitude towards ourselves and others runs basically parallel

We treat others with respect in reality and thus make reality a less hostile place.

Where is God in that? Is God lack of moral character that you can't be honest with yourself?
Does your moral system go into the reasoning as to why things like hostility and harm are wrong? Since the 'wrongness' of those things would have to be included in a moral code.

Also, the way people treat themselves isn't consistent among all peoples. Are you saying that anything someone would be willing to do to themselves, they should be able to do to others? That however somebody treats their own selves, their own bodies, they should be able to do the same to others?

Does your moral system go into the reasoning as to why things like hostility and harm are wrong? Since the 'wrongness' of those things would have to be included in a moral code.

Also, the way people treat themselves isn't consistent among all peoples. Are you saying that anything someone would be willing to do to themselves, they should be able to do to others? That however somebody treats their own selves, their own bodies, they should be able to do the same to others?

Are you clutching at straws/making stuff up? Let's see, pain, among all peoples, hurts... You have no argument, but decide to make crap up. Or did you want to argue psychology?

And would God being a 'woman' be disrespect to men? How would the existence of a Father God be disrespectful to women? How does that communicate disrespect?
Why don't you think about it. I don't actively believe in God and you insist God is male? Because your bible tells you so?

Back