Why do atheists ask for evidence for God?

Logical Fallacies abound within this example, I'm afraid.

Firstly, you do not define consciousness at all, let alone sufficiently for debate.
Consciousness = awareness of experience.
Secondly - your assumption is wrong. There IS evidence for consciousness (and I am assuming a definition, given your lack of one). We display it whenever we are "conscious".
So your saying the evidence of consciousness is that which is displayed when one is conscious? Um, don't ever accuse anyone else of circular reasoning again.
We also know that it's core functioning is limited to the brain: remove brain from a patient - remove consciousness.
No, we don't know this. This is an assumption. "Materialism of the gaps."
We also have evidence of its materiality: damage brain - damage consciousness.
No, we don't have evidence of this. Do we know that people in comas are not self-aware? No, we don't.
Inhibit certain chemicals in brain - inhibit consciousness.
What exact chemicals are these? I want some.
Thirdly, there are more alternatives than the ones you posit - even using the inaccurate assumptions you make:
FIrst, what exactly are my inaccurate assumptions?
(4) It is not yet known whether consciousness is material or non-material;
I don't necessarily disagree with this. But I would point out the fact that consciousness has no physical properties and defies measurements we can make of physical things suggests it is not material.
(5) Consciousness is not yet fully understood to be able to ascertain what it actually is to then be able to obtain evidence for it;
But, is consciousness not understood because we've been ignoring it as a phenomenon simply because it is not subject to the scientific method as we currently understand it.
(6) Evidence exists but we are just unable to appreciate it for what it is.
etc.
What is this evidence?
Fourthly, your conclusions are all making positive statements - which is logically flawed in the absence of evidence (your assumption).
Explain to me exactly what my assumptions are and what my logical fallacies are.
Define consciousness and then we can decide which option is closest to my view.
Consciousness = awareness of experience

Again - this is only your conclusion due to the logically flawed way in which you have worded your argument.
How is my argument worded in a logically flawed way?

Nice try though. :rolleyes:
I suggest you redo this but start with an actual definition for consciousness. And we'll go from there.
Reread, my post now that I have provided a def. of consciousness. (Although if you were confused about the definition you could have googled it).
And please no definitions that have in-built assumptions that have yet been proven - as to accept that definition is to accept the unproven assumption.
OK.

We also know that it's core functioning is limited to the brain: remove brain from a patient - remove consciousness.
You do not need a brain to be conscious - or at least to 'display' behaviour that appears conscious.
Many organisms (and some would argue even particles) can display self-agency and awareness of environment with no neural net whatsoever.

We also have evidence of its materiality: damage brain - damage consciousness.
Yes and no :)
Consciousness is affected when the brain suffers rapid damage, however damage that occurs gradually over time can actually end up not effecting cognitive functioning in the slightest.
There is particular condition (forget the name but can find out if needs be) where the brain errodes gradually over time. Victims of this condition can end up with a thin slither of brain tissue lining their skull but essentially theyre walking round with heads that are almost entirely empty.
The incredibly thing is - these people dont seem to be impaired in anyway, some even have very high IQs.

Thirdly, there are more alternatives than the ones you posit - even using the inaccurate assumptions you make:
(4) It is not yet known whether consciousness is material or non-material;
(5) Consciousness is not yet fully understood to be able to ascertain what it actually is to then be able to obtain evidence for it;
(6) Evidence exists but we are just unable to appreciate it for what it is.
etc.
As someone who reads consciousness theory in their spare time, grover is actually pretty spot on here actually.
Most debates at consciousness conferences atended by scientists and philosophers alike useally hinge around these key points.
- Those who believe consciousness is an emergent property/process and those who believe consciousness goes 'all the way down' (panpsychism).

There is also an ongoing debate as to whether we can ever really understand consciousness - some believe we can, others believe we can't, and some believe it is simply beyond rationalism and can only be understood through more visceral ways of knowing.

You do not need a brain to be conscious

That is like saying you don't need a brain to have memories. It's really meaningless, and I wonder why you would say such a thing.

Many organisms (and some would argue even particles) can display self-agency and awareness of environment with no neural net whatsoever.

There is a difference between having highly evolved parts of the brain, and an ant going about it's job. Humans have developed the ability to betray their genes, eg. suicide, abstinence... whereas the ant is just going on auto pilot. In fact I think it's up for debate how conscious humans really are... Are we really 'conscious' or are we really just going on auto pilot... albeit a little more advanced way than the ant.

But maybe our difficulty in understanding 'consciousness' is because we have difficulty understanding how all parts of the brain work together simulataneously.

And how can anyone say consciousness is immaterial? The brain has billions of cells, and it's common sense that consciousness does not occurr 2 feet to the right of your head, does it?

There is a difference between having highly evolved parts of the brain, and an ant going about it's job.
That's just it. How do we know ants are just going about their job? How do we know that they aren't conscious?
Humans have developed the ability to betray their genes, eg. suicide, abstinence...
What an incredibly strange "ability" for evolution to create. Survival of the fittest actually created something that works against survival?
whereas the ant is just going on auto pilot.
We don't really know if ants are on auto-pilot or conscious. But it also raises the intersetsing question of why consciousness is in human brains at all since mental functions can occur without consciousness and since consciousness actually acts against survival (suicide, abstinence).
In fact I think it's up for debate how conscious humans really are... Are we really 'conscious' or are we really just going on auto pilot... albeit a little more advanced way than the ant.
Buddha would agree
But maybe our difficulty in understanding 'consciousness' is because we have difficulty understanding how all parts of the brain work together simulataneously.
There's no reason I can see why different parts of the brain working together causes consciousness. You don't see it either since it seems since you think it's plausible that ants have no conscious experience and yet have brains.
And how can anyone say consciousness is immaterial? The brain has billions of cells, and it's common sense that consciousness does not occurr 2 feet to the right of your head, does it?
Does it make sense to speak of consciousness occuring anywhere in physical space at all?

That's just it. How do we know ants are just going about their job? How do we know that they aren't conscious?

Their behaviour is hardwired into their genes. Just watch a nature documentry on these creatures, and their behaviour is very complexed, but really they are just on auto pilot. There's no evidence of any consciousness displayed by ants, or any need for them to have consciousness.

What an incredibly strange "ability" for evolution to create. Survival of the fittest actually created something that works against survival?

To paraphrase Dawkins... A moth looks pretty stupid when it keeps crashing into a lightbulb, but it still benefits the species as a whole to fly by a bright light (the moon?) even if a few fly into a flame as a result of it's evolutionary trait. Same with humans, their increased intelligence or 'consciousness' means they have more of a choice over things, even a choice to live or die, or refrain from sex, to be antisocial... these all sound like things the human species can do without... but does that mean the human species as a whole suffers as a result of increased brain size? Very few people commit suicide, so it stands to reason evolution would still favour whatever trait backfires to cause suicide.

We don't really know if ants are on auto-pilot or conscious.

Yes we do, because they have no choice in how they behave. Ants are no more conscious than an ipod.

But it also raises the intersetsing question of why consciousness is in human brains at all since mental functions can occur without consciousness and since consciousness actually acts against survival (suicide, abstinence).

Consciousness is just a result of certain parts of the brain being highly evolved... and I already explained there is good reason why we evolved these things even if it does result in unique behaviour, often unfavoured.

There's no reason I can see why different parts of the brain working together causes consciousness. You don't see it either since it seems since you think it's plausible that ants have no conscious experience and yet have brains.

Consciousness is just a single brains ability to recall memories, have emotions, personality, thoughts... and when you look at how neuroscientists have mapped out the brain, it's easy to see why humans stand out in this reguard, and also why consciousness is dependant on physical activity in the brain.

Does it make sense to speak of consciousness occuring anywhere in physical space at all?

Does it makes sense to speak of a pulse without a heart? Does it make sense to speak of consciousness without a brain?

Their behaviour is hardwired into their genes.
Not true. Ants teach their young.
Just watch a nature documentry on these creatures, and their behaviour is very complexed, but really they are just on auto pilot. There's no evidence of any consciousness displayed by ants, or any need for them to have consciousness.
What do you mean their is no evidence of consciousness? How do you know they aren't conscious? That's the entire point - there's no scientific way of determining this. They don't need consciousness? Why do we again?
To paraphrase Dawkins... A moth looks pretty stupid when it keeps crashing into a lightbulb, but it still benefits the species as a whole to fly by a bright light (the moon?) even if a few fly into a flame as a result of it's evolutionary trait. Same with humans, their increased intelligence or 'consciousness' means they have more of a choice over things, even a choice to live or die, or refrain from sex, to be antisocial... these all sound like things the human species can do without... but does that mean the human species as a whole suffers as a result of increased brain size? Very few people commit suicide, so it stands to reason evolution would still favour whatever trait backfires to cause suicide.
Intelligence and consciousness are not synonomous. Take another look at your first point - you are saying ants develop complex (seemingly intelligent) behavior and yet you claim that there is no consciousness, so consciousness and intelligence are not synonomous.
Yes we do, because they have no choice in how they behave. Ants are no more conscious than an ipod.
How do you know this? It's assumption.

Consciousness is just a result of certain parts of the brain being highly evolved...
Again, how do you know this? What is the scientific evidence? What are the exact parts of the brain that cause consciousness. And your assertion that it is "certain parts" is in direct conflict with your assertion that it is an emergent phenomenon of "different parts work together."
and I already explained there is good reason why we evolved these things even if it does result in unique behaviour, often unfavoured.
I must have missed it. What is the "good reason?"

Consciousness is just a single brains ability to recall memories, have emotions, personality, thoughts...
No, that's not what consciousness is. Ants have memories but no consciousness of them (presumably). The overwhelming majority of whats going on in our brains occurs unconsciously. Stop confusing the term consciousness with all mental phenomenon.
and when you look at how neuroscientists have mapped out the brain, it's easy to see why humans stand out in this reguard, and also why consciousness is dependant on physical activity in the brain.
No, actually, it isn't easy to see why. Neuroscientists have mapped out the brain - they can say where higher thinking takes place, fear, language, etc. and yet they are at a total loss to explain how the brain causes consciousness (if that's the case at all).

Does it makes sense to speak of a pulse without a heart?
No, it doesn't - science can explain exactly what it is about the heart that gives rise to a pulse. When scientists say the brain cause consciousness it's "materialism of the gaps."
Does it make sense to speak of consciousness without a brain?
Don't know. But what is true is that right now some people claim to have consciousness after death. We also have no idea how brains give rise to consciousness. We have no way of determining if living creatures have consciousness or are automatons. In light of the fact that living creatures can survive perfectly fine as automatons but consciousness causes seemingly anti-survival behavior it is unclear why evolution would cause consciousness.

people ask for eveidence becuase it is hard to belive that god just made the earth and that was it god is the best ect and it is more likely that there is more to it than that and the more science evolves the more god seems to be wrong

There is a difference between having highly evolved parts of the brain, and an ant going about it's job. Humans have developed the ability to betray their genes, eg. suicide, abstinence... whereas the ant is just going on auto pilot. In fact I think it's up for debate how conscious humans really are... Are we really 'conscious' or are we really just going on auto pilot... albeit a little more advanced way than the ant.
Well i think all forms of experience and consciousness are bound by limitations in expression to varying degrees.
Alot of people like to invoke 'free-will' which for me is slightly pointless as you can never have complete self-agency or autonomy.
It's just your options and choices for self expression increase the higher up the ladder of complexity you go.

Not true. Ants teach their young.

Teaching is a stretch of a word to use, but importantly for this debate: are 'teacher' ants aware of what it is doing, or is it just following it's genetic instructions passed on from countless generations which show this type of behaviour is favoured for the benefit of the species?

They don't need consciousness? Why do we again?

Why does an ant need to be aware of what it is doing to survive? What about Mayflies... do they consciously make the decision to come out to mate at the exact same time, or are they on autopilot thanks to their genetics? I think the answers are obvious.

Intelligence and consciousness are not synonomous. Take another look at your first point - you are saying ants develop complex (seemingly intelligent) behavior and yet you claim that there is no consciousness, so consciousness and intelligence are not synonomous.

I agree.. and ants I would suggest have neither. They are biological robots. That's what's so amazing about nature, because with very small animals to display such behavior (such as mayflies seemingly 'knowing' when to mate) you wonder how it is possible, but it requires an understanding of their genetics rather than them being intelligent or consciously aware of anything.

How do you know this? It's assumption.

A rather safe assumption, yes. I can't remember what documentary I saw this on, but a worker ant/bee (whatever) was showing aparent care to it's queen, and David Attenborough said words to the effect of "It does this not out of love for it's Queen, but because it is following it's biological blue print".

Again, how do you know this? What is the scientific evidence? What are the exact parts of the brain that cause consciousness. And your assertion that it is "certain parts" is in direct conflict with your assertion that it is an emergent phenomenon of "different parts work together."

By 'certain parts', I mean that with humans, the brain did not simply increase in size, but rather certain parts increased in greater proportion to that of ancestors. I think so anyway, without reading up on it now, these areas are responsible for 'higher order' consciousness.

I must have missed it. What is the "good reason?"

Good reason to be more consciously aware... such as how to fashion tools to better aid our survival. As you can tell, I am no expert, but I think I am along the correct lines.

No, actually, it isn't easy to see why. Neuroscientists have mapped out the brain - they can say where higher thinking takes place, fear, language, etc. and yet they are at a total loss to explain how the brain causes consciousness (if that's the case at all).

But it proves that consciousness is physical at least - that is the evidence. Can science even explain how the brain tells us we are hungry for example?

No, it doesn't - science can explain exactly what it is about the heart that gives rise to a pulse. When scientists say the brain cause consciousness it's "materialism of the gaps."

Nope, there is sound evidence as to what causes consciousness and without it, there would be none... yes, it's the brain.

Don't know. But what is true is that right now some people claim to have consciousness after death.

Then they were never truely dead. I'm sure there must be some brain activity for a short amount of time after a person is 'dead'. But ask someone who has had their brain liquified if they had consciousness after death...

We also have no idea how brains give rise to consciousness.

That's pretty much true... We have little to no idea of how the brain does most things.

We have no way of determining if living creatures have consciousness or are automatons.

Yes, the line can be blurred but I think very few species can be defined as being genuinely conscious. I remember footage where scientists placed a big white sticker on the side of the head of an Elephant, and when the Elephant seen itself in the mirror wondered what that thing was on it's head and touched it's head with the trunk. Now that is consciousness.

In light of the fact that living creatures can survive perfectly fine as automatons but consciousness causes seemingly anti-survival behavior it is unclear why evolution would cause consciousness.

I already explained before... evolution can cause a bee to be attracted to bright objects that are not flowers... does that mean bee's should never have been evolved to be attracted to flowers? No, it still benefits the bees.

I agree.. and ants I would suggest have neither. They are biological robots. That's what's so amazing about nature, because with very small animals to display such behavior (such as mayflies seemingly 'knowing' when to mate) you wonder how it is possible, but it requires an understanding of their genetics rather than them being intelligent or consciously aware of anything..

Why can't a robot be conscious?

Teaching is a stretch of a word to use, but importantly for this debate: are 'teacher' ants aware of what it is doing, or is it just following it's genetic instructions passed on from countless generations which show this type of behaviour is favoured for the benefit of the species?
We have no idea if the ants are aware or not. That's the point, there's no way of testing this.
Why does an ant need to be aware of what it is doing to survive? What about Mayflies... do they consciously make the decision to come out to mate at the exact same time, or are they on autopilot thanks to their genetics? I think the answers are obvious.
Yes, the answer is obvious that ants don't need consciousness to survive. That doesn't answer whats really being asked here, which is are ants conscious? And, what purpose does consciousness serve since it is apparently very easy for us to see how superfluous it is to survival.
I agree.. and ants I would suggest have neither. They are biological robots. That's what's so amazing about nature, because with very small animals to display such behavior (such as mayflies seemingly 'knowing' when to mate) you wonder how it is possible, but it requires an understanding of their genetics rather than them being intelligent or consciously aware of anything.
Making assumptions and guesses is not science. Point me in the direction of evidence.
A rather safe assumption, yes. I can't remember what documentary I saw this on, but a worker ant/bee (whatever) was showing aparent care to it's queen, and David Attenborough said words to the effect of "It does this not out of love for it's Queen, but because it is following it's biological blue print".
And how exactly does Attenborough know the ant doesn't love the queen. What exact test do that supported this hypothesis?
By 'certain parts', I mean that with humans, the brain did not simply increase in size, but rather certain parts increased in greater proportion to that of ancestors. I think so anyway, without reading up on it now, these areas are responsible for 'higher order' consciousness.
We have no idea how/if the brain makes consciousness so its ridiculous to start making assumptions about that certain areas create it. There is not one iota of evidence to support this claim.
Good reason to be more consciously aware... such as how to fashion tools to better aid our survival. As you can tell, I am no expert, but I think I am along the correct lines.
Why do we need consciousness for that? We can't that just be instinctual behavior?
But it proves that consciousness is physical at least - that is the evidence. Can science even explain how the brain tells us we are hungry for example?
How does it prove that? I think science can explain hunger - messages being sent by nerves to the brain etc, certain chemicals like serotonin, etc. They can get specific about whats going on with hunger in a way they cant when it comes to consciousness. There are actual scientists coming up with actual science about the physiology of hunger. There is no actual science on consciousness.
Nope, there is sound evidence as to what causes consciousness and without it, there would be none... yes, it's the brain.
How do you know brains aren't receivers of consciousness? Or how do you know that consciousness isn't actually synonomous with being?
Then they were never truely dead. I'm sure there must be some brain activity for a short amount of time after a person is 'dead'. But ask someone who has had their brain liquified if they had consciousness after death...
Oh, you're sure...well I guess I'll take your word on faith since you're sure.
That's pretty much true... We have little to no idea of how the brain does most things.
We know how the brain does alot of things. We have no idea how brains give rise to consciousness.
Yes, the line can be blurred but I think very few species can be defined as being genuinely conscious. I remember footage where scientists placed a big white sticker on the side of the head of an Elephant, and when the Elephant seen itself in the mirror wondered what that thing was on it's head and touched it's head with the trunk. Now that is consciousness.
No it isn't. That is an elephant instinctually reacting to a white sticker on its head.

I already explained before... evolution can cause a bee to be attracted to bright objects that are not flowers... does that mean bee's should never have been evolved to be attracted to flowers? No, it still benefits the bees.
But, I'm still unclear how consciousness is a benefit. Additionally, consciousness seemed to bring with it alot of baggage like awareness of death, and then apparently evolution had to build into us illusions like religion and near-death experiences. Let's appy Occam's razor.
1) Evolution caused consciousness, which is an emergent phenomenon of purely material processes, even though consciousness has questionable ability to aid the organisms ability to survive and even seems to cause some anti-survival behavior and awareness of death so evolution then had to build in the conscious organism beneficial illusions like religious belief and near-death experiences so that the conscious organism would not be overwhelmed by mortality even though consciousness provided no survival value to begin with. Or;
2) Near-death experiences occur because consciousness is an immaterial phenomenon and at the time of death the physical body dies but consciousness does not.

Why can't a robot be conscious?

Because robots aren't made of the same materials that cause consciousness...obviously...whats so hard about this to understand? If I took an action figure and made it look like it was talking, thinking, walking, etc....is it really conscious or was it only made to appear so? Similarly, robots are only made to appear human-like...

Yes, I often find myself doubting that the idea that an invisible guy lives in the sky and runs the universe, is asinine and deluded.

We ask for evidence for a God because we are asked to 'respect' people's belief that there is one, and the rectitude of those beliefs.

Your logic is fatally flawed..."if something just doesn't sound right, then its definitely not true"....which discoveries in science really sound rational? Does it seem like an electron can exist in superposition? Does it seem like millions of years ago gigantic monster-like species existed on Earth? I'm sure if I told you any of these things before they were discovered to be true in science, you would say they weren't true simply because "it just doesn't sound right"....

people ask for eveidence becuase it is hard to belive that god just made the earth and that was it god is the best ect and it is more likely that there is more to it than that and the more science evolves the more god seems to be wrong

But why ask for evidence if you know you're going to reject any type of evidence and already say that you can't gather evidence?

Atheists should just come out and say they'll never believe in God no matter what and that atheism is just another belief system based purely upon faith alone....

Last edited:
They ask for evidence, because they wish to see they are wrong.
They ask for evidence because they do not believe you have any.

Atheism is functional. If you build a house of straw and there is no tornado to come and blow it down, you will never conceive of building a house of bricks.

Atheism is like a tornado. Once the current religious dogma is completely destroyed, perhaps we will have a shot at constructing a more appropriate replacement.

That is to say we aren't getting rid of God, just the structure surrounding our current belief.

I would compare it to a young person rejecting the culture and values they grew up with so they can construct a more resilient Self. You are rich, you live in a suburb, you are Lutheran, you like the Broncos, you drive a Ford...

Throw that shit out the window!

If anything, atheists are closer to finding God (if there is one) than most believers are.

Last edited:
But why ask for evidence if you know you're going to reject any type of evidence and already say that you can't gather evidence?

There has been no evidence to reject, thus far.

Atheists should just come out and say they'll never believe in God no matter what and that atheism is just another belief system based purely upon faith alone....

Just for clarification, would that be a Christian never believing in a Muslim god, or the other way round? :D

Back