Why did the flood happen?

I think the Gilgamesh/Noah/Sumerian "flood" "myth" was, like many myths, based on fact.

Probably the long memory of the flood which must have occured when the Med emptied into the Black Sea. I have heard some geologists say this may have caused a huge trauma(tsunami) across the whole eastern ban. The Ryan-Pitman theory would place this around 5600BC. Pretty much long before even the Sumerian myth. Even still oral tradtions(and the superstitous baggage that comes with) could last that long.

Possibly the short memory of a particularly nasty local flood which probably occured in the whole area of the Tigris and Euphrates(it is a "flood" plain).

When god first began creating stuff, he would have seen that everyone would become corrupt and he would have known that he was going to flood the earth and kill thousands of people. So why didn't he just create noah to begin with and have him populate the Earth as if it were after the flood and save a lot of time and slaughter?

God knows the importances of the free will of men. In every part of the bible it tells us that we have choices to make. As a God of Justice despite what he may know or may not know about our actions he allows the consequences to come to term. Otherwise to interfere in our choices really would be fate. He allows us to make the wrong choices and right choices.

Many people don't understand what we're experiencing on Earth. Nor do they understand the challenge to God's right to rule "or sovereignty" that has caused this whole situation.

God's righteous standards on justice requires that the question of-
If we can rule ourselves without his guidance.
our loyalty to the creator
the correction of inherented sin

...All must be answered. And just like after any trial. The criminals we be confined and them destroyed. But while God knows the outcome of all this. Many do not. The Angels and all humankind all have these questions. God has determine that seeing this current system of things to it's conclusion is the propper demostration to all these questions.

Actually, the flood was a half-myth. Because a huge flood happened, the Dead Sea is proof of that. Although I don´t think it covered the whole world, it was certainly a big one.
In the Bible it said it was God punishing humanity for their sins, it is simply a way of saying that is bad Karma of the people that were affected.

Because God (The Creator) created everything.
A different God, the God of Abraham, caused the flood.

Are you kidding? He killed a fuck-load according to your bible!

Perhaps sandy is referring to God not killing anyone in The New Testament?
Is that what you are referring to, sandy?
Do you reject the Old Testament for the New - since Jesus made a new Covenant?

The New Testament is the New Covenant for born-again Christians who believe in Jesus Christ. I live by the New Testament. Not the old.

Yes, I know he killed people in the New Testament too.
I was referring to here and now. Who is God killing here and now?

Last edited:
The New Testament is the New Covenant for born-again Christians who believe in Jesus Christ. I live by the New Testament. Not the old.

In that case, Mosaic Law set down in Leviticus has no merit, nor validity anymore.
The New Covenant was a clean slate.
That makes sense to me.

For example... let's just pull one randomly...

NIV Leviticus 18:22 "'Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.

This quote is now rendered obsolete.

Now, Where was it in the New Testament where Jesus condemned homosexual acts?

OH YEAH! He didn't.

"...the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God.... (I CORINTHIANS 6:9-11)

Romans 1:26-27: "For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet...

1Timothy 1:9-10: Knowing this that the law is made for the sexually immoral, for homosexuals, for slave-traders, for liars, for perjurers, and for any other thing contrary to the sound doctrine...

"...the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God.... (I CORINTHIANS 6:9-11)

Romans 1:26-27: "For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet...

1Timothy 1:9-10: Knowing this that the law is made for the sexually immoral, for homosexuals, for slave-traders, for liars, for perjurers, and for any other thing contrary to the sound doctrine...

Which of these were quoting Jesus, again?

My question was, "Now, Where was it in the New Testament where Jesus condemned homosexual acts?"

By the way, you're a damned liar.

NIV 1Timothy 1:9 We also know that law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious; for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for adulterers and perverts, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine

Blasphemy is the one and only unforgivable sin, isn't it?
Please remind me what blasphemy is.

He kills 17,000 children every day, he killed yesterday, today and he will kill tomorrow. He's just that kind of a guy.

'Go forth and multiply' was in Genesis when there was hardly anyone on earth. God needed people to reproduce. Now we don't need it as much.
And we especially don't need people having children they can't afford.

The Bible has everything to do with God. It's His Word. And it's Christian's handbook for everyday life.

I don't blame anyone but the devil for killing babies with cancer. Cancer is of the devil and is to be defeated. I do think if the parents had any cancer/disease in their histories they should not reproduce. And they especially shouldn't reproduce and expect society to take care of their children. Sick or not.

There is no imperfection in God. He is flawless. He is the great I am.

As if that should matter? As if that should wipe the slate clean with all the brutal UNloving commands he made to kill people? Why would you want to disregard that, since you seem to follow the Bible?

Now that I think about it, didn't Jesus specifically condone oral sex between men?

NIV Matthew 15:10 Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen and understand. 11 What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' "

It was spitting he condemned - good Christians swallow. ;)

Actually, the flood was a half-myth. Because a huge flood happened, the Dead Sea is proof of that. Although I don´t think it covered the whole world, it was certainly a big one.
In the Bible it said it was God punishing humanity for their sins, it is simply a way of saying that is bad Karma of the people that were affected.

I appreciate you perspective yet the bible is consitently reliable on it's lineage and it's terminology. The Flood has been cemented in history by not just the facts but by cultural consensus.

With 270 plus flood stories of a global nature accross the Earth it is part of History just as much as Iraqi Freedom campaign is substaniated by multiple media sources or even the Jewish holocaust.

The local flood theory is a scape goat to ignore the establish history and remove biblical trust showing just how precarious history is in the wrong hands. Even today people will state boldly that the holocaust never occured.

Ignore the established history?

The only possible timeframe for a global/nearglobal(comon mountains?) flood is about 17-15000 years ago...something I'm personally open-minded about - but geology is pretty much against it. As far as the "Noah" timeframe(4000ya?), forgetaboutit.

Your argument is based on uniformitarinism approach. It is admitedly a road block to appreciating historical documentation. There by concluding that one position can not be wrong therefore the other (historical) must be.

Uniformatarian approaches dismiss the possibility that early assumptions about the earth could possibily be incorrect. That there theory of gradualism is perfect without extenuating exceptions. Which is clearly not the case.

It's a permanent and purposeful gulf. To refuse to align to patterns is unyeilding and unreasonable. It would be like giving up on the Unified Force Theory when we know there is an obvious relationship.

So why not the Old Testament? Is it not also the word of God?

Keep on dreaming. BTW, if god really existed, there would be no devil and there wouldn't be a need for a holy book supposedly with god's word. We'd all know about god instinctively.

i wish i could agree,but no, if you know about karma then you should know about duality...

if there is a god, we wouldn't know, and there will definitely be a devil.. whether ya'll like it or not.

The only thing religion is good for, is because it helps people like sandy wake up in the morning and live on with her life in hopes for better dreams.. so i thank it.

if anything the beginning started out with god just saying "ima put this here and ima watch"

and about the flood thing,

there is a definite truth out there, and one of the truths is that the flood happened.. in every single book about genesis, no matter language, culture, or belief... theres a flood... so it definitely happened

Back