Why are you considered insane if you say God has spoken to you?

This is specifically why I created the "What is a heretic?" thread to put this sort of difference to rest. Obviously only one person can be right and you'll never guess who..

I think the thread was taken more as a heretic according to christianity.

And, I bet you'll be surprised when you do find out.

StarOfEight said:
South, quoting the Bible doesn't prove the obvious nature of God's existence any more than quoting the Communist Manifesto proves the obvious, inherent fallibility of capitalism. You're making a tired circular argument whereby the Bible is the word of God, and hence, true, and beecause the Bible is true, whatever it says about God is true. If you can prove God exists, and more to the point, if you can prove the Christian conception of God is correct, then the Bible has validity as a tool for assessing the truth of the Latter Day Saints and Islam. Since you can't, it'd doesn't.

I fail to see how your argument proves that my claims are circular, since your points fit, at best, in a linear pattern, although the order is suspect..

This might help you out:

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.
3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men.

That's the proper order. As you can see, no circle. :)

Furthermore, the fact that the Bible warns against the possibility of future prophets is nothing but an attempt to preserve the Bible's monopoly of revelation.

Well at least you used the word preserve, in respect of the Holy of Holies.

invert_nexus said:
I think the thread was taken more as a heretic according to christianity.

And, I bet you'll be surprised when you do find out.

A heretic against Christianity is the only possibly heretic.

I am not at all naieve.. :p

A heretic against Christianity is the only possibly heretic.

I am not at all naieve..

Ahh, the pleasures of the self-righteous. Imagine the vagaries of fate that placed you in a christian household at birth. Imagine growing up amidst the "heretics" and believing that it is the christians who blaspheme. Ahh, fate...

invert_nexus said:
Ahh, the pleasures of the self-righteous. Imagine the vagaries of fate that placed you in a christian household at birth. Imagine growing up amidst the "heretics" and believing that it is the christians who blaspheme. Ahh, fate...

I was spared from such a degrading fate by the mercies of my Lord and Master Jesus Christ, who in His own eternal grace, saved His servant from such a plight.

Nothing self-righteous there, it all points to the Son of God's mercy.

Nothing self-righteous there, it all points to the Son of God's mercy.
Err It all points to a high level of gullability IMHO
Hey §outh§tar wanna buy some magic beans?

Dee Cee

§outh§tar said:
Please point me to where in the thread where I said this because I have no recollection of such a thing, although I may be wrong.

It is in your first reeply to me:" In Mohammeds case, both he and an "angel" from heaven spread malicious heresy."

§outh§tar said:
I also showed how Mohammed's claims were heretic. Isn't God's word "common ground" enough?

Go back and read my first posts, You don't seem like you understood them

§outh§tar said:
It means God in three Persons. Perfect Trinity.

I said I knew what it meant! What's wrong with you?!

§outh§tar said:
Is that what you are going to base your argument on?
:rolleyes:

John 5
43I have come in my Father's name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him. 44How can you believe if you accept praise from one another, yet make no effort to obtain the praise that comes from the only God[4] ?
45"But do not think I will accuse you before the Father. Your accuser is Moses, on whom your hopes are set. 46If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. 47But since you do not believe what he wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?"

Read this
John 8
4Jesus replied, "If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. 55Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and keep his word. 56Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad."
57"You are not yet fifty years old," the Jews said to him, "and you have seen Abraham!"
58"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"

Matthew 28
16Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[1] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Matthew 18
19"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. 20For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

Peter's Confession of Christ

Matthew 16
13When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?"
14They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets."
15"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"
16Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ,[2] the Son of the living God."
17Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter,[3] and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[4] will not overcome it.[5] 19I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[6] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[7] loosed in heaven."

There are many more, but I hope this will be enough to quell your confusion.

G'day. :)

I could explain them to you one by one, Especially the "...before Abraham was born, I am" translation but judging by your earlier posts I doubt whether you and I can reason together.

I shall leave you however with these verses from the word of God.

Saba' (Sheba) 34

Verse 24-26:

“Say: "Who gives you sustenance, from the heavens and the earth?" Say: "It is Allah; and certain it is that either we or ye are on right guidance or in manifest error!"
“Say: "Ye shall not be questioned as to our sins, nor shall we be questioned as to what ye do."
“Say: "Our Lord will gather us together and will in the end decide the matter between us (and you) in truth and justice: and He is the one to decide, the One Who knows all."

Adieu.

And may peace be upon you.

Last edited:
Bruce, doesn't your avatar violate the proscription against images of living things?

And South - until you prove that a.) God exists, and b.) the Christian conception of God is the correct one, the Bible cannot be used to "prove" Christianity or "disprove" another religion.

StarOfEight said:
Bruce, doesn't your avatar violate the proscription against images of living things?

You know, now that you say it. It might. I 'll have to think that through, in the meantime, away with it!

Good observation. ;)

:m:

StarOfEight said:

And South - until you prove that a.) God exists, and b.) the Christian conception of God is the correct one, the Bible cannot be used to "prove" Christianity or "disprove" another religion.

Since B is true, I would assume A. ;)

@Bruce

Please do explain. You wouldn't want to leave a fellow brother out in the dark, now would you? :(

Why should someone who claims to have heard God, or claimed that God spoke to himbe considered insane?

The point is, unless you have proof, other than your word, then it is unsuitable to preach.

Well if you claim to hear voices, and further suggest they are voices from god, you'r not insane, nor crazy, but going schitzo!.

http://www.schizophrenia.com/diag.html#common

Symptoms of Schizophrenia

Schizophrenia is characterized by profound disruption in cognition and emotion, affecting the most fundamental human attributes: language, thought, perception, affect, and sense of self. The array of symptoms, while wide ranging, frequently includes psychotic manifestations, such as hearing internal voices or experiencing other sensations not connected to an obvious source (hallucinations) and assigning unusual significance or meaning to normal events or holding fixed false personal beliefs (delusions). No single symptom is definitive for diagnosis; rather, the diagnosis encompasses a pattern of signs and symptoms, in conjunction with impaired occupational or social functioning.

So there's the true answer of this whole argument!!.
If you claim to hear god, or speak in tongues, basically your going schizo!!.

Godless.

Back