Why Are We Ashamed of Being Naked?

Are You Ashamed of Being Naked?

• Yes

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • No

Votes: 45 68.2%

• Total voters
I was born with a top hat and tails on (sarcasm).
what's wrong with a little nakedness.

Oxygen:
when I sit in front of the computer, I have to be careful that tha cat does'nt think, that my plums are a couple of bobbles, to play with, (can you imagine jumping of your chair with a cat hanging by a claw...ouch).

Last edited:
fear of nakedness is an ingrained sciological state
It's also bloody cold!!!!

Not if you keep your heat on. =)

I don't mind being naked in the slightest. I sleep that way at home, and find it most comfortable. I also never had a problem in spas in Europe.

My mom finds it obscene when I don't wear shoes and socks. I hate shoes and socks unless I am at work where it is required. I don't want my pretty feet deformed by wearing shoes all the time.

robtex said:
It is a learned behavior. I have kids in the extended family (not my own) and am in that age range (mid 30,s) where friends have kids and before they are taught that nakedness is shameful run around 1/2 nude all the time with no second thoughts of it.
That's the natural result of a simple mind. When we grow up, we tend to become more conscious about ourselves, and that is why we cover ourselves. That is probably one of the greatest misunderstandings in religion. The reason why Adam and Eve cover up themselves is because they become conscious beings. Conscious specially with themselves. They lose their simplicity and innocence, and as a result, they need to hide themselves. That's one of the greatest "secrets" in the Bible. They are not just people that lived a long time ago, they are like... archetypes of our own life stories. It's very simple. I wonder why people complicate it so much....

I think that the clothing insdustry is a reflections of peoples insecurties on their physical appearance.
And, of course, the media...

If you don't what percentage of it is to so your guests or housemates fell comfortable and how much of it is so that you do?
If I would live alone, I would probably walk around naked at home. But I have a roomate. So... it gets complicated, ya know? :D
Even more because I'm male and she is female... :rolleyes:
But if she would feel comfortable with it..... sure thing I would... :p

TruthSeeker said:
Yeah... why?

I mean... In my particular case I don't feel any shame... But most people seem to have problems with it. So... who here is ashamed of being naked? And why people feel that way about something so natural?

Why we feel this way to the point of, of course, using clothes and even making laws that forbid us from being naked in public? Of course I understand those laws, but my question is.... when, why and how we started to feel and think that way? Does that have anything to do with evolution? Do we really need our clothes?

EDIT: Just to add, what about women's boops? In many countries topless is allowed. But it is still considered a kind of nakedness. Men doesn't have that problem. It's odd. If you think in a very simple way, it doesn't really make much sense.... :confused:

PS: Of course, all in public.
good thread, I have been thinking about that also, after all, we were born naked, our ancestors were naked, and the original purpose of the invention of cloths is to preserve body heat in regions of colder climates, then after a period of time, wearing cloths has become a unbreakable rule and tradition and habit, those who choose to show their body in its nature form are condemned and suppressed, what's with that? is there anything wrong with flesh? or certain parts of flesh?
in arts, nudity is common because it proclaims that it is body in its true self, in science, naked body is merely tissues and flesh, why in society do we traditionally prohibit this kind of nudity? I would not choose to take my clothes off in public, yet I do not have a problem with nudity. what's with this conflicting psychology?

but running around naked in public?

Yea!! you trip on your massive johnson! I can relate to that. ;)

I'm not afraid to be naked, nor do I feel ashamed of my nakedness, fact is that's how I sleep.

Godless.

I used to be ashamed of being naked until giving birth to my children.

Last edited:
This is rather an interesting thread. i can remember being ashamed to be naked as a teen. because I never ended up being naked and comfortable in some critical forming years of my youth. I didn't even shower at gym, because then I had to be naked.

Oh, how I changed. I really don't care anymore. Communcal showers? Who cares. Communal sauna? Ok. The cleaning lady comes into the men's locker room when I am standing there naked drying myself. Good for her. Look the other way if it bothers you.

I sleep naked too mostly nowadays (in the winter not always because of the temperature).

So at an early age I was comfortable, than as a teen I became uncomfortable and now I am comfortable again.

I ruined my knees bikeriding, and so I have to wear a PJ to bed, always, or I get mean cramps in my legs. I also feel rather cold if I don't wear two shirts (must be the climate). I do mind being naked.

eddymrsci said:
good thread, I have been thinking about that also...
Yeah.... I've thought about that before, but I always forgot to ask it...

is there anything wrong with flesh? or certain parts of flesh?
Ahhh... I gues the only mproblem is that some parts are more elastic then others... :p :D

Godless said:
I'm not afraid to be naked, nor do I feel ashamed of my nakedness, fact is that's how I sleep.
spuriousmonkey said:
I sleep naked too mostly nowadays (in the winter not always because of the temperature).
Well... in my case I usually sleep with PJs... But that's just because I stay with PJs at night and I shouldn't scare my roomate... :D

The answer to "Why are we ashamed of being naked" is easy.

We've grown up in a society that labels some body characteristics as "beautiful" and "sexy". Anything else is considered "ugly".

We are critical of ourselves. If we don't fit the image of beauty, we may see ourselves as somewhat ugly. Therefore, we don't like being naked, cuz other people would be able to see what we see: a less-than-sexy body.

Of course, there are some people that just don't care.

I think humans first started wearing clothes cuz they were warm. People that lived in prehistoric Europe had to survive in the cold climate, so they bundled up. The people that stayed in Africa didn't have to worry about this. This is why ya can see a few scantily-clad people in Africa nowadays.

Somewhere along the line, we got so used to wearing clothing that it became just as natural to wear clothes as it was to wear none.

So it's either religion, society, or the climate. I wonder which came first? But why did we evolve clothes rather than fur? Was the little tuft at the top enough during those first few winters to make people move to colder climates and get - no, still not fur - but white skins?

Last edited:
I think being clothed is alright. But, some people feel more comfortable being naked. Yes, it has to do with people being "sexier" or whatever than others. This is a big deal to the less attractive people

society has manipulated us into fear machines.
that will answer many of your questions.

dont give in to the manipulation.
open your minds

Most of fear of nakedness comes from conditioning, but part of it comes, as a defense mechanism clothes are much more effective than crossed arms. I know a guy who does not like to run around without his shirt on and have had a girlfriend who thought that I was improper for going to the pool without a shirt. I have lost most of my modesty through out the years and would be a nudist in the summer if it weren’t for those stinking cops.

Back