Who made God? One Big Circle.

Gondolin,

No, you have it all wrong. I don't believe there is a God because the idea of a God seems irrational.

On the contrary, it is the best idea of all time, hence it's uwavering popularity by most sectors of society, and the world. No other idea comes even close. What can be irrational is the understanding of who and what God is, and how we relate.

I see what "God" does, and it's total bullshit.

What does God do, that is "total bullshit"?

And you're just as ignorant as I am when trying to prove there is or isn't a God.

I believe in God, proving his existence or not, has no appeal to me.

Jan.

What does God do, that is "total bullshit"?

You put the quotes in the wrong place.. it's what "God" does. And what "God" does is nothing.

I was implying he doesn't exist, so whatever "he" does, IS bullshit, seeing as how he does nothing in the first place. Get it?

I believe in God, proving his existence or not, has no appeal to me.
You wouldn't want to prove to a nonbeliever that God exists? Wouldn't that score major points for you and and G-man? I thought ya'll loved to push beliefs on people.

Last edited:
Celpha Fiael,

If I tell you, "I am the Son of God." and you ask, "How do I know what you say is true?" and I respond, "Because I say so." Would you then believe me?

I wouldn't need to ask that question, that you would proclaim such a position, without being prompted would raise questions.

It seems that you are saying that, as the Bible would have to have to be its own critic due to its claimed holiness, I would have to be my own critic in the exact same way, and anyone's objection to my being the Son of God would be because they are just "ordinary men". How convenient.

It's fair to assume that as the son of God, there would be mention of you in a scripture. Jesus, and Muhammad, are both mentioned in vedic literature long before their arrival. Some saintly person would know of your appearance in the world.
The bible makes no claims of holyness, it is holy due to its association of divinity, and if you align yourself to it, you will understand it, and if you don't, you won't.
There can be no higher authority regarding any scripture otherwise it has no value. You either develop faith and surrender, or you stick to your guns and shut up shop, as no one can prove whether it is authentic or not. This is the beauty of scriptures.

False, you should know by now that I used to be a devout Christian who did nothing but study the scriptures.

But you still clearly lack basic understanding of it. Your position is, you don't adhere to it, or the religion anymore.

Being an atheist, I have broadened my scope from one religion, thank you for making that so easy to point out.

No. What you've actually done is decide that that institute is not the one for you, and based on your earlier "son of God" analogy, it is pretty obvious why. To broaden your scope from one religion to atheism would, imo, require a good understanding of religion, and why it is nonsense, this I have not seen yet.
It could be that you have gone from one hopeless situation to another, the other one being more convenient, and conducive to modern society.

And I'm looking at this small section right now because I see in it a tremendous problem and you don't seem to think so. So we are debating it. Would you rather not debate it?

Sure, I would rather debate it.
Society is riddled with problems, and none are due to religion itself, unless you can point it out. The problems with society is due to mankind, period.
Do you agree?

Let's review; you tell me that simply because a book says it is the truth with no other authority than its own, it should be believed because it is so holy, it has to be its own critic (which is an attribute you have derived again, from the book itself), and then you tell me that I should broaden my mind.

I'm always dubious when someone claims "the truth". If it is the truth, then it should be compatible with me in some way, and as such I do not need to be told that it istruth.
Scriptures says what it says, there is no need to convince one that it is truth, and the bible is no exception. If we are to debate this matter, then we should be honest as to what scriptures say.
Truth, by its very definition, must be all-encompassing, and not difficult to understand, because it is has to be unchanging.

Then you throw in an unnecessary and bitter remark concerning my reasons for being an atheist, which is highly based on your assumptions and entirely false.

Okay.
What is your reason for becoming an atheist?

While I would disagree with your conclusions, I would not be as insensitive as to claim you don't have good reasons for being what you are, I think being on this message board to begin with is a favorable indicator of that.

To be really objective, I believe we must put sensitivity aside, otherwise there will be no getting to the nitty gritty. I have given enough thought to my position, so i doubt very much whether you can offend my sensibilities. If you have a good point which puts my position into doubt, I will do as I have always done over the years, which is, look at my position.

It seems theists can be just as bitter as atheists, eh?

Abrupt? Maybe at times.
Bitter? Never, regarding this subject matter.

Jan.

Gondolin,

You put the quotes in the wrong place.. it's what "God" does. And what "God" does is nothing.

I was implying he doesn't exist, so whatever "he" does, IS bullshit, seeing as how he does nothing in the first place. Get it?

Why are you in the "religion" forum?

You wouldn't want to prove to a nonbeliever that God exists? Wouldn't that score major points for you and and G-man? I thought ya'll loved to push beliefs on people.

That's why it is better for you to develop some understanding.

Jan.

Gondolin,
Why are you in the "religion" forum?
We're discussing religion(s), aren't we?

That's why it is better for you to develop some understanding.
Jan.

An understanding of...

I understand Christianity, I was a hardcore believer until around the age of 17. I know more about Christianity than most Christians.

I assume that's what you're speaking of.

I wouldn't need to ask that question, that you would proclaim such a position, without being prompted would raise questions.

The point of my rhetorical scenario wasn't that I hadn't been prophesied to tell you that I am the son of god. I'm sure many people proclaimed that before Jesus did, yet they weren't considered to be that fulfillment solely on the fact that a prophecy had been made. The point was that the source which is making these extravagant claims is the same one that provides all justification. It is very much like somebody--or multiple people if that pacifies you more--saying "This is so because I(/we) say so."

It's fair to assume that as the son of God, there would be mention of you in a scripture. Jesus, and Muhammad, are both mentioned in vedic literature long before their arrival. Some saintly person would know of your appearance in the world.

I don't intend to carry on any longer with my allegorical claim, but this would be easily solved with an equally plausible line of rhetoric, which is what you've presented; I could simply assert that these prophecies were bespeaking of me, not Jesus or Muhammad; they weren't the fulfillment, I am. (I am not truly saying they are, don't get carried away with that one.)

The bible makes no claims of holyness, it is holy due to its association of divinity, and if you align yourself to it, you will understand it, and if you don't, you won't.

Yes, the divinity it introduces. Q.E.D.

There can be no higher authority regarding any scripture otherwise it has no value. You either develop faith and surrender, or you stick to your guns and shut up shop, as no one can prove whether it is authentic or not. This is the beauty of scriptures.

The beauty of scripture is that nobody can be sure if it is true? Yikes. The beauty of my beliefs is that I can know for sure that they are true and enjoy the stability and satisfaction that provides. Faith is an unnecessary (and destructive) addendum in my views. I think that trumps your idea of beauty.

But you still clearly lack basic understanding of it.

How do you mean? I don't see how it is clear at all. But if I am, then put me to the test! I wouldn't mind brushing up on my old theistic stances, if just for nostalgia.
No. What you've actually done is decide that that institute is not the one for you, and based on your earlier "son of God" analogy, it is pretty obvious why. To broaden your scope from one religion to atheism would, imo, require a good understanding of religion, and why it is nonsense, this I have not seen yet.
It could be that you have gone from one hopeless situation to another, the other one being more convenient, and conducive to modern society.

I don't think I am the son of God, I chose that as a claim to make because it is one I knew you would have reservations considering seriously. I could talk about how I think religion is nonsense all day with you but in the end we will still disagree on a whole lot, as this is my opinions versus yours. As for your "convenience theory", let me ask you; how is it convenient at all to be the most hated minority in the U.S.? I actually live in the South, right in the heart of the bible belt; to be an atheist here is to jeopardize your life. I am not conductive to my immediate society by any means.
Sure, I would rather debate it.
Society is riddled with problems, and none are due to religion itself, unless you can point it out. The problems with society is due to mankind, period.
Do you agree?

Yes, on the whole, I do. My next argument would be that many problems are encouraged severely by religion itself, namely the idea of faith. Yes I can point one out for you: 9/11. Needless to say, these people had problems that many, even ones of that particular religion, would wish to separate themselves from. But the fact that these people believed so fervently and were so sure that if they flew high-jacked planes into the twin towers that they would go to heaven and receive virgins as a reward could only be achieved through faith. It is mere laziness and intellectual (and in cases such as this, actual) suicide.

I'm always dubious when someone claims "the truth". If it is the truth, then it should be compatible with me in some way, and as such I do not need to be told that it istruth.

Quantum mechanics contains perhaps the most counter-intuitive concepts ever considered by human brains. It is not compatible with your brain, as you evolved on a scale that didn't require an understanding of this micro-realm. Also, I don't think that you would be able to discover the intricacies of quantum physics by your thinking alone, you would most assuredly need some instruction on it. Don't fall into the delusion that because something resonates with your intuition and experience, it is therefore true.
Scriptures says what it says, there is no need to convince one that it is truth, and the bible is no exception. If we are to debate this matter, then we should be honest as to what scriptures say.

Another problem; what the scriptures say to you is dramatically different from what it says to someone else. These different interpretations cannot grow beyond opinion and therefore are faulty grounds for the search for truth. If we are to debate this, we need to be honest indeed; you will need to be willing to consider that the scriptures might not be true at all.
Truth, by its very definition, must be all-encompassing, and not difficult to understand, because it is has to be unchanging.

Who told you this I wonder?
Okay.
What is your reason for becoming an atheist?

Much like if I were to ask you a reciprocative question concerning your reasons for being a theist, I take it your response would have to be detailed and lengthy to convey these reasons to their utmost effectiveness. So it is the case with me and my atheism. I would rather not construct an essay right here, perhaps you will stumble upon my reasons in our debate. Having said that, I have given some personal accounts on this board as to why I am an atheist, if you'd like to read them here are two (just scan the pages):

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=1465286#post1465286

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=1494853#post1494853

To be really objective, I believe we must put sensitivity aside, otherwise there will be no getting to the nitty gritty.

Agreed, but this does not mean we should hurl insults based on pure assumptions.

Celpha Fiael,

It is very much like somebody--or multiple people if that pacifies you more--saying "This is so because I(/we) say so."

Can you give an example?

The beauty of scripture is that nobody can be sure if it is true? Yikes.

The beauty is that you can know for sure what is truth.

The beauty of my beliefs is that I can know for sure that they are true and enjoy the stability and satisfaction that provides.

What are your beliefs?

Faith is an unnecessary (and destructive) addendum in my views.

Why?

Yes, on the whole, I do. My next argument would be that many problems are encouraged severely by religion itself, namely the idea of faith.
Yes I can point one out for you: 9/11. Needless to say, these people had problems that many, even ones of that particular religion, would wish to separate themselves from.

a) can you back the claim that 911 was motivated or encouraged by religion?
b) can you explain exactly how "religion" is to blame for the atrocities?

But the fact that these people believed so fervently and were so sure that if they flew high-jacked planes into the twin towers that they would go to heaven and receive virgins as a reward could only be achieved through faith.

Can you back this up with evidence?

It is mere laziness and intellectual (and in cases such as this, actual) suicide.

What is laziness, is to jump on bandwagons in an attempt to justify a position, and not check to see if the claims are valid.

Quantum mechanics contains perhaps the most counter-intuitive concepts ever considered by human brains. It is not compatible with your brain, as you evolved on a scale that didn't require an understanding of this micro-realm.

And still do not "require" an understanding, in the same way one does not need to know ray follow doh on the musical scale in order to sing or dance.

Also, I don't think that you would be able to discover the intricacies of quantum physics by your thinking alone, you would most assuredly need some instruction on it.

No, but other people can, just as other people can play beautiful music which we can all apreciate regardless of our technical understanding.

Don't fall into the delusion that because something resonates with your intuition and experience, it is therefore true.

Why is it a delusion?
Are you incapable of discriminating between truth and falsehood?

Another problem; what the scriptures say to you is dramatically different from what it says to someone else.

Not if you take it literally.

These different interpretations cannot grow beyond opinion and therefore are faulty grounds for the search for truth.

As I said, taken literally, they say the same thing to one and all, and further more, there is correlation between all scripture.

If we are to debate this, we need to be honest indeed; you will need to be willing to consider that the scriptures might not be true at all.

Such a consideration is pointless, my only retreat is to not believe it.

Who told you this I wonder?

No one. It stands to reason that the absolute truth must be one without a second, and does not change by its very nature.

Much like if I were to ask you a reciprocative question concerning your reasons for being a theist, I take it your response would have to be detailed and lengthy to convey these reasons to their utmost effectiveness. So it is the case with me and my atheism.

Not really.

Agreed, but this does not mean we should hurl insults based on pure assumptions.

Apologies if you misunderstood my sentiment, but insulting you was not part of my intention, but I've yet to hear a good reason from any explicit atheist as to why they are atheist, that doesn't equate to "i don't believe.." or "i deny the existence...

Gondolin,

We're discussing religion(s), aren't we?

You're not discussing religion, you're telling us what you think. :rolleyes:

An understanding of...

I understand Christianity, I was a hardcore believer until around the age of 17. I know more about Christianity than most Christians.

I assume that's what you're speaking of.

No. I am talking about religion.
If God is not a being/thing that neither comes into, or goes out of being, but just is, then he is not God. Either you accept it or don't, but there is no point banging on about it.

Jan.

but I've yet to hear a good reason from any explicit atheist as to why they are atheist

The answer need only come from yourself. Ask yourself why you're an atheist to zeus or allah and all will become clear.

there is correlation between all scripture

Such as?

Celpha Fiael,
Can you give an example?

Yes, I already did actually. If you told me the bible proclaims, "Jesus is the son of God!" and if I were to ask you why this is true, the reasons you give would be reasons wholly created and found in the same bible ("The scriptures point to him." or "He is aligned with God.")

I quote you, "You either develop faith and surrender, or you stick to your guns and shut up shop, as no one can prove whether it is authentic or not. This is the beauty of scriptures." Make up your mind.

My beliefs are that truth, solid truth, can only be discovered in a scientific and mathematical sense.

Because faith by definition is belief in the absences of evidence or in the face of opposing evidence. I wonder, who told you that faith is a virtue to begin with?

a) can you back the claim that 911 was motivated or encouraged by religion?
b) can you explain exactly how "religion" is to blame for the atrocities?

I can, but I won't go into meticulous detail here, if you'd like to research it, there are plenty of sources. Christians are actually quite quick to point out that these attacks were motivated by the Islamic religion, as they see it as a good opportunity to pin negativity to a rival religion. What they perhaps don't realize is that this attack backfires on them severely. Both the Christian and Islamic religions base a lot of what they believe on faith, which is the same thing as being convinced of what you assume. For example, many sects of Islam view martyrdom as a glorious thing, and are promised great rewards in the next life for choosing this path. This is what drove the otherwise intelligent and sane attackers on 9/11. Think about this; what would someone have to tell you in order for you to recklessly hi-jack a plane and drive it into a building, killing yourself and others that you don't even know? If you could be convinced, it's not going to involve any incentive that you could attain in this life, as you are clearly going to die. The afterlife is what is summoned, and if you and I and others were honest with ourselves, any belief/thought about the afterlife is pure speculation. So, the religious are fed this idea of faith, which makes up for the fact that nobody really knows what the hell they are talking about when it comes to what exactly happens after we die. Faith covers a multitude of intellectual stumbling blocks one may come across concerning a religion..."It's really hard to honestly believe in God because I can't see him, I can't feel him, I can't hear him." "Ah," responds the religious, "don't let that worry you, he is there. Just have faith!" Another example, "I am hesitant to suicide bomb this crowd of people. It is a scary thought and not an easy one to deal with." "Ah," responds the religious, "many rewards await you in the next life. Just have faith!"

In short, religion promotes faith which is a horrible concept to begin with, and this makes acts of senseless violence and non-thinking remarkably easy.
Can you back this up with evidence?

The twin towers no longer stand, there is your evidence.
What is laziness, is to jump on bandwagons in an attempt to justify a position, and not check to see if the claims are valid.

True, which faith certainly does. Let's look at the two examples I introduced above where faith is used. First, "It's hard to believe in God..."; the faith answer alleviates the believer from ever having to actually attempt to justify that or check to see if the claims of God are valid. In fact, they then somersault upon their own shoulders and say that in order to justify these claims, you have to have faith! It's a horrible and twisted system of thinking. Second, "Great rewards await you in the next life." NO ONE can attempt to justify this or check to see if that claim is valid, because one would have to go into this "next life", experience it in full, and come back.

And still do not "require" an understanding, in the same way one does not need to know ray follow doh on the musical scale in order to sing or dance.

Interesting observation. I would point out that knowledge of God isn't a required understanding for life on earth.
No, but other people can, just as other people can play beautiful music which we can all apreciate regardless of our technical understanding.

Yes but my point was that things which are true do not necessarily resonate with your intuition. In those cases, you would need somebody to instruct you.
Why is it a delusion?
Are you incapable of discriminating between truth and falsehood?

Let's say for some odd reason, I decided to pray to a teapot. I was somehow convinced that this teapot was actually an omnipotent deity and could hear my thoughts and prayers. I begin to pray to this teapot and because of that, see the good things that happen in my life as answered prayers by the teapot. Now I come to you. I tell you that praying to and believing in this teapot has changed my life, and that I know it is true because it resonates so highly with my experiences. Would you think I was deluded or right?

Not if you take it literally.

Good point, if you take it literally, you run into many problems before you ever consider someone else's interpretation.
Such a consideration is pointless, my only retreat is to not believe it.

This strikes me as odd; I am willing to consider the scriptures to be true for our debate's sake, yet you refuse to reciprocate. It's almost as if you are highly insecure in your convictions.
No one. It stands to reason that the absolute truth must be one without a second, and does not change by its very nature.

How does it stand to reason?
Apologies if you misunderstood my sentiment, but insulting you was not part of my intention, but I've yet to hear a good reason from any explicit atheist as to why they are atheist, that doesn't equate to "i don't believe.." or "i deny the existence...

I find this extremely contradictory and hypocritical; even if you are right that all of atheists claims boil down to that (which you aren't), how is that any different from "I DO believe..." or "I don't deny the existence..."? It's almost as if it is okay for you to make those statements concerning your beliefs, but discard it as bad reasoning when atheists do it for theirs.

Let's review; you tell me that simply because a book says it is the truth with no other authority than its own, it should be believed because it is so holy, it has to be its own critic (which is an attribute you have derived again, from the book itself), and then you tell me that I should broaden my mind. Then you throw in an unnecessary and bitter remark concerning my reasons for being an atheist, which is highly based on your assumptions and entirely false. While I would disagree with your conclusions, I would not be as insensitive as to claim you don't have good reasons for being what you are, I think being on this message board to begin with is a favorable indicator of that.

It seems your analysis fails to take into account that different books contained in the Bible were written at different times, that some prophecies from the Old Testament were fulfilled by the New Testament (validated throughout different points of time). Although it is called the Bible, it has many components, written through different periods of human history. If the Bible were written by one person at one time, then your argument would be more valid. You say that you are learned regarding the Bible, but you just clumped the entire set of books into one book. That sounds like intellectual suicide/irresponsible interpretation and evaluation/analysis.

Last edited:
It seems your analysis fails to take into account that different books contained in the Bible were written at different times, that some prophecies from the Old Testament were fulfilled by the New Testament (validated throughout different points of time). Although it is called the Bible, it has many components, written through different periods of human history. If the Bible were written by one person at one time, then your argument would be more valid. You say that you are learned regarding the Bible, but you just clumped the entire set of books into one book. That sounds like intellectual suicide/irresponsible interpretation and evaluation/analysis.

Fair enough, let's consider this. Let's say you were writing a book. Let's say that you found inspiration from another book, one that spoke of prophecies concerning a distant figure. You come across a figure that you like and wish to portray as the fulfillment of those prophecies. Now let me ask you, if you were the one writing, how hard would it be to write in fulfillments of those aforementioned prophecies?

Now consider several people getting together with further motive to portray your liked figure as the fulfillment of the prophecies. There are several books to consider, yours being one of them. Some don't say exactly what you do, and some agree more than others. Now let me ask you, if you were one putting together a presentation claiming that this figure is the fulfillment, wouldn't you include the ones that agree, and not include the ones that don't?

Having an understanding of the Bible isn't simply what is written in it, but its origin and development as a whole.
http://www.godfire.net/TheWord1.html
I think you'll enjoy this link.

Celpha Fiael,

Yes, I already did actually. If you told me the bible proclaims, "Jesus is the son of God!" and if I were to ask you why this is true, the reasons you give would be reasons wholly created and found in the same bible ("The scriptures point to him." or "He is aligned with God.")

There are two conclusions to arrive at, and both rely on belief. To believe that Jesus is the son of God, is different than saying "I know Jesus is the son of God. If I were to ask you if Jesus is the son of God, what would your reply be, and why?

Jan said:

I quote you, "You either develop faith and surrender, or you stick to your guns and shut up shop, as no one can prove whether it is authentic or not. This is the beauty of scriptures." Make up your mind.

The truth does not rely on any type of authentication, or scientific evidence. Upon understanding that the scripture is authentic, and that God does exist, does not mean we will automatically serve him.

My beliefs are that truth, solid truth, can only be discovered in a scientific and mathematical sense.

Why?

Because faith by definition is belief in the absences of evidence or in the face of opposing evidence.

So you think one should only believe in God, once evidence of God has arisen, and if there is no evidence that points to God, then we should dismiss the idea God completely? Or are you one of those that tries to keep a foot in camp-rational by trickily postulation that, as there is no evidence of the non-material (spiritual) it most likely that God does not exist, however as we do not know for sure, there is always the possibility, which is another way (imo) of saying "God does not exist", but you didn't hear it from me.
It wouldn't surprise me if you opted for the latter, which prompts me to ask, what type of evidence would convince you of Gods' existence.

I wonder, who told you that faith is a virtue to begin with?

Probably the same source who told me that pinapple is simply delicious.

I can, but I won't go into meticulous detail here, if you'd like to research it, there are plenty of sources.

You have effectively condemned a religion, and its adherents who believe in that religion, I think you should give details (they don't have to be long) so you justify what seems like an attack.

Both the Christian and Islamic religions base a lot of what they believe on faith, which is the same thing as being convinced of what you assume.

What do they actually base on faith?

For example, many sects of Islam view martyrdom as a glorious thing, and are promised great rewards in the next life for choosing this path. This is what drove the otherwise intelligent and sane attackers on 9/11.

Let's say that you're right (for the sake of argument), can you explain how the religion itself (Qur'an) justifies the such actions?
And would it be fair to assume that all devout muslims would commit similar acts, as it would be a means to reach their objective goals? If that assumption doesn't follow, could you explain why?

Think about this; what would someone have to tell you in order for you to recklessly hi-jack a plane and drive it into a building, killing yourself and others that you don't even know?

You must first present evidence which suggests this was the case before jumping to that conclusion. As you can apreciate, it is a hefty accusation which has connotations not only on Islam, but all scriptural religions.

If you could be convinced, it's not going to involve any incentive that you could attain in this life, as you are clearly going to die. The afterlife is what is summoned, and if you and I and others were honest with ourselves, any belief/thought about the afterlife is pure speculation.

For the sake of argument again, let's assume you have a point. You still cannot argue that religion itself is to blame, any more than you can blame young virgins. I suggest we debate the religion or religion itself in order to conclude whether it is the CAUSE of such conflict, as opposed to a reason.

So, the religious are fed this idea of faith, which makes up for the fact that nobody really knows what the hell they are talking about when it comes to what exactly happens after we die.

If the scriptural god exists, then we have a good idea of what happens after we die.
So again we are left with belief, as death from this existence is a one time event.

Faith covers a multitude of intellectual stumbling blocks one may come across concerning a religion..."It's really hard to honestly believe in God because I can't see him, I can't feel him, I can't hear him." "Ah," responds the religious, "don't let that worry you, he is there. Just have faith!"

Where is the intellectual stumbling block in this scenario?
Faith is the only thing that can allows belief in God, as their is no universal evidence which says God is real,outside of interpretation, to make us know for sure that God is real.

Another example, "I am hesitant to suicide bomb this crowd of people. It is a scary thought and not an easy one to deal with." "Ah," responds the religious, "many rewards await you in the next life. Just have faith!"

That begs the question as to why all devout muslims, in all societies past and present don't adopt the same tactics.
Could it be they don't because it is not a part of their religion?

In short, religion promotes faith which is a horrible concept to begin with, and this makes acts of senseless violence and non-thinking remarkably easy.

That is a baseless assumption coated with paranoia and fear, not to mention disrespectful to people who have faith in God.

The twin towers no longer stand, there is your evidence.

That is not evidence that; "...these people believed so fervently and were so sure that if they flew high-jacked planes into the twin towers that they would go to heaven and receive virgins as a reward could only be achieved through faith.
Again you must provide evidence of this, otherwise your claims will be considered an out and out attack not only on Islam, but on scriptural religion, period.

Let's look at the two examples I introduced above where faith is used. First, "It's hard to believe in God..."; the faith answer alleviates the believer from ever having to actually attempt to justify that or check to see if the claims of God are valid.

How do you suggest one checks to see if God is real?

In fact, they then somersault upon their own shoulders and say that in order to justify these claims, you have to have faith! It's a horrible and twisted system of thinking.

Justify what claims? That they believe in God?
If they say they know for sure God is real, as they know oranges are orange, then surely you can understand that they are mistaken, not that God does not exist.

Second, "Great rewards await you in the next life." NO ONE can attempt to justify this or check to see if that claim is valid, because one would have to go into this "next life", experience it in full, and come back.

It says in the Qur'an (in so many words), that to harm even a tree is a great sin, as well as suicide. So there is a misunderstanding of the religion itself, which when compounded with suffering on a unprecidented scale of either ones self, family, nation, or culture, can affect a person not grounded in knowledge, to the point of irrational acts. This, however, is quite removed from the scripture and the religion, as brought foreward by its leader and prophet.

Interesting observation. I would point out that knowledge of God isn't a required understanding for life on earth.

Quite right. As we can see, the animals do not have a need to know God.
Technically we are animals, but with a difference. We can enquire as to the reason why things happen they way they do, and for this we have different branches of knowledge to help us understand and eventually realise what is truth. Religion in its pure form allows us to understand our real stand-alone selves, and our origin, not through matter, but through spirit.

Yes but my point was that things which are true do not necessarily resonate with your intuition. In those cases, you would need somebody to instruct you.

Things which are "true" does not add up to understanding "truth", anymore than a spoonfull of the ocean adds up to the understanding of the whole ocean. We can never understand the whole ocean, but we can understand that part of it which we are able.

Let's say for some odd reason, I decided to pray to a teapot. I was somehow convinced that this teapot was actually an omnipotent deity and could hear my thoughts and prayers. I begin to pray to this teapot and because of that, see the good things that happen in my life as answered prayers by the teapot. Now I come to you. I tell you that praying to and believing in this teapot has changed my life, and that I know it is true because it resonates so highly with my experiences. Would you think I was deluded or right?

Even if you replace the teapot with God, I wouldn't recognise good things occuring in your life, as a response to a prayer, because good thing occur frequently to so many people who do not pray or even believe in God.
I would have no reason to label you as deluded either, just superstituous maybe.

Good point, if you take it literally, you run into many problems before you ever consider someone else's interpretation.

Which is why it is supposed to be understood from a person who is qualified, by action.

This strikes me as odd; I am willing to consider the scriptures to be true for our debate's sake, yet you refuse to reciprocate. It's almost as if you are highly insecure in your convictions.

How are we to know via an independant enquiry, that the scriptures are truth? An atheist will say one thing, a theist, another, which of them is qualified to give a truthful answer, one way or the other?

How does it stand to reason?

If the absolute truth changes, then it could not have been the absolute truth in the first place.

I find this extremely contradictory and hypocritical; even if you are right that all of atheists claims boil down to that (which you aren't), how is that any different from "I DO believe..." or "I don't deny the existence..."? It's almost as if it is okay for you to make those statements concerning your beliefs, but discard it as bad reasoning when atheists do it for theirs.

My point is, that there is no difference.

Jan.

Fair enough, let's consider this. Let's say you were writing a book. Let's say that you found inspiration from another book, one that spoke of prophecies concerning a distant figure. You come across a figure that you like and wish to portray as the fulfillment of those prophecies. Now let me ask you, if you were the one writing, how hard would it be to write in fulfillments of those aforementioned prophecies?

Now consider several people getting together with further motive to portray your liked figure as the fulfillment of the prophecies. There are several books to consider, yours being one of them. Some don't say exactly what you do, and some agree more than others. Now let me ask you, if you were one putting together a presentation claiming that this figure is the fulfillment, wouldn't you include the ones that agree, and not include the ones that don't?

Having an understanding of the Bible isn't simply what is written in it, but its origin and development as a whole.
http://www.godfire.net/TheWord1.html
I think you'll enjoy this link.

Your entire analysis is pathetic, especially when accounting that the people who wrote the gospels were not as educated in the Old Testament as the Rabbis of the time. Some were fishermen, another was a tax collector, and so forth. The Rabbis would logically be the ones who would understood the prophecies better than anyone else and one Rabbi named Paul did write some of the letters in the New Testament, but before that he persecuted the church of God. What did it benefit him to betray his Jewish roots, be put in jail, and persecuted for Christ when he was enjoying his status as a Rabbi for the Jewish cause? Consider also that there were no printing presses, and the Torah was in the hands of a select few.

Celpha Fiael,
There are two conclusions to arrive at, and both rely on belief. To believe that Jesus is the son of God, is different than saying "I know Jesus is the son of God. If I were to ask you if Jesus is the son of God, what would your reply be, and why?

Personally, I would say that there is not enough, not even spiritually, to convince me of that. I have considered it seriously and based my world-view around it before. But aside from that, you dodged my point about all the reasons are founded in the same scriptures that declare that he is. Now having given you an example, I repeat myself, "It is very much like somebody--or multiple people if that pacifies you more--saying 'This is so because I(/we) say so.'"
The truth does not rely on any type of authentication, or scientific evidence.
So you would say that your beliefs are backed by no form of authentication whatsoever? Not spiritually, not empirically? I disagree with this in the first place; how are you ever going to know if something is true if the question of whether it is or not is never applied?

This was in response to that I believe that scientific truth is the only sense in which truth can truly be spoken of. The answer can be found in one of the links I provided you earlier...did you not do your homework? ;) (It's here: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=1494853#post1494853)
So you think one should only believe in God, once evidence of God has arisen, and if there is no evidence that points to God, then we should dismiss the idea God completely? Or are you one of those that tries to keep a foot in camp-rational by trickily postulation that, as there is no evidence of the non-material (spiritual) it most likely that God does not exist, however as we do not know for sure, there is always the possibility, which is another way (imo) of saying "God does not exist", but you didn't hear it from me.
It wouldn't surprise me if you opted for the latter, which prompts me to ask, what type of evidence would convince you of Gods' existence.

There is evidence for God's existence, I never denied that. What I am affirming is that that evidence is insufficient and weak in comparison to other types of evidence, which point to a God not existing. But I'm not sure why you ask this, apparently, evidence doesn't matter at all to you (see three quotes above). You might as well believe in fairies or leprechauns, there is no scientific evidence against or for their existence yet I'm sure you don't. (The only difference is that God is a potentially more meaningful concept than trivial fairytale creatures and so has voluminous books debating people's speculations of him.) How is this not a double-standard?
Probably the same source who told me that pinapple is simply delicious.
You miss the point, dear.
You have effectively condemned a religion, and its adherents who believe in that religion, I think you should give details (they don't have to be long) so you justify what seems like an attack.

I have not condemned anyone, and I would appreciate it if you didn't put words like that in my mouth. I have pointed out that religion is holistically pejorative. And you're wrong, it would have to be long, too long for me to put the effort into it here. Go look up 9/11 and fundamentalist faith, I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied if you'll put a bit of study into it.
What do they actually base on faith?

For starters, that God exists, which shapes everything else in their entire lives profoundly.
Let's say that you're right (for the sake of argument), can you explain how the religion itself (Qur'an) justifies the such actions?
And would it be fair to assume that all devout muslims would commit similar acts, as it would be a means to reach their objective goals? If that assumption doesn't follow, could you explain why?

I wouldn't be able to tell you that, as I am far more familiar with Christianity and the Bible than with Islam and the Qur'an. Of what I can see in Christianity that justifies such actions correlates with what I see extreme Islamic fundamentalists doing, and by that I conclude that there is a similar mechanism at work here. And there is; faith. I don't know the details of the Qur'an as I've said, but I've already given examples of how I see the Muslims using faith to uphold several overlying tenants found therein. I think it would not be fair to say that all devout Muslims are apt to commit such acts, I stated in an earlier post (though its precise location escapes me) that indeed some people who shared the faith with these 9/11 high-jackers would wish to separate themselves from such acts of violence. That was not my point however, my point was that these high-jackers were able to do what they did in the first place because of a stronger delusion than most Muslims adhere to, which was rooted in pure speculation, i.e. faith.
You must first present evidence which suggests this was the case before jumping to that conclusion. As you can apreciate, it is a hefty accusation which has connotations not only on Islam, but all scriptural religions.

I can't help but get the feeling you are painting yourself in to a rather awkward corner; earlier you denounce evidence as necessary for truth, and now you beg it of me, like you consider it of utmost importance.
For the sake of argument again, let's assume you have a point. You still cannot argue that religion itself is to blame, any more than you can blame young virgins. I suggest we debate the religion or religion itself in order to conclude whether it is the CAUSE of such conflict, as opposed to a reason.

Oh good, because I do have a point. I don't blame religion, I blame faith, which is unfortunately largely what religion is rooted in. If religions were able to exorcise themselves of faith and retain successful institutions then I would have no qualms with it. Faith is the cause of such conflict (given that the adherents are willing to delve into it), and it is opposed to reason in the highest magnitude.
If the scriptural god exists, then we have a good idea of what happens after we die.
So again we are left with belief, as death from this existence is a one time event.

Yes, if. There is where the speculation and assumptions that later develop into faith are introduced. By the same token, if the Hindu gods exist, then we have a good idea of what happens after we die; reincarnation. To say that an assumption exists in scriptural context is not enough to say that it is a reliable or insightful belief.
Where is the intellectual stumbling block in this scenario?
Faith is the only thing that can allows belief in God, as their is no universal evidence which says God is real,outside of interpretation, to make us know for sure that God is real.

It is in realizing that this God is unreachable through any of the major sense organs which are most vital and primary to our existence. And see, you've demonstrated this twisted system of thinking right before our very eyes; "Faith is the only thing that can allow belief in God..." It's like buying something before knowing what you're getting into; "first have faith (which you have provided no good reason for doing in the first place), then you will know God." It's very much like a salesman saying, "First give me your money, then I'll take you to look at the house for sale." I highly doubt you would be suckered so easily. The use of faith, and the reasons for doing so in the first place, is just as absurd in this scenario as it is concerning belief in a God. If that's the only thing keeping belief in God alive, then God is all but dead, he just hasn't fallen over yet. If this is truly the case for you, then I would suggest you find a new route to believe in God. Perhaps now would be a good time to consider evidence, because you would be able to muster up some arguable empirical evidence for God, though it would be of a lesser degree of strength than scientific evidence, of which, there is no supportive evidence of God.
That begs the question as to why all devout muslims, in all societies past and present don't adopt the same tactics.
Could it be they don't because it is not a part of their religion?

No, it's because some abandon themselves more to the idea of faith than others.
That is a baseless assumption coated with paranoia and fear, not to mention disrespectful to people who have faith in God.

If you still think (erroneously) that this is a baseless assumption after all the questions I've answered for you and explanations, then let me know because I think we will have reached the end of our possible progress.
That is not evidence that; "...these people believed so fervently and were so sure that if they flew high-jacked planes into the twin towers that they would go to heaven and receive virgins as a reward could only be achieved through faith.
Again you must provide evidence of this, otherwise your claims will be considered an out and out attack not only on Islam, but on scriptural religion, period.

Once again we have this leering contradiction in your ideas of evidence and its importance. Let's try an approach from a different angle, as to keep you from falling into this again; what other reasons can you think of for these otherwise sane and loving people (all had families with children) to do such a heinous act?
How do you suggest one checks to see if God is real?

You cannot check to see if God is real, just as you cannot check to see if Zeus is real or unicorns are real. Faith says, "we know this, but you should believe it anyway."
Justify what claims? That they believe in God?
If they say they know for sure God is real, as they know oranges are orange, then surely you can understand that they are mistaken, not that God does not exist.

Precisely. But we are still left with this problem, if I was to ask one of these hypothetical people why they believe in God, it would be--and if I read you correctly, you agree from your above quote--a matter of preference. They can't know for sure, but they like to believe it. It is purely wishful thinking, and it is on those grounds that I dismiss it as a candidate for truth--or a pathway to truth--at all.
It says in the Qur'an (in so many words), that to harm even a tree is a great sin, as well as suicide. So there is a misunderstanding of the religion itself, which when compounded with suffering on a unprecidented scale of either ones self, family, nation, or culture, can affect a person not grounded in knowledge, to the point of irrational acts. This, however, is quite removed from the scripture and the religion, as brought foreward by its leader and prophet.

It seems you know the Qur'an better than I. Let me ask then, can you think of no scripture that says something contradictory to this? I know there are some, I just don't have the knowledge to know quickly where to look. If you can't find any, I will do it, but I'm hoping you could save us some time if you know of them.

Another fault with religion; its "truth" is founded in pure subjective interpretations. Some interpretations may be less contradictory than others, but that doesn't make them true. I could (not easily) construct an interpretation of symbols and metaphors found in the Odyssey with great elegance and harmony but that doesn't make it by default true.
Even if you replace the teapot with God, I wouldn't recognise good things occuring in your life, as a response to a prayer, because good thing occur frequently to so many people who do not pray or even believe in God.
I would have no reason to label you as deluded either, just superstituous maybe.

Okay, let's run with this. What if I then said that this teapot cares for me in such a way that it constantly monitors my life, even down to my thoughts, gives me advice, and forgives me of my sins? Deluded yet?
How are we to know via an independant enquiry, that the scriptures are truth? An atheist will say one thing, a theist, another, which of them is qualified to give a truthful answer, one way or the other?

I don't think you have a very good understanding of inquiry; if you are to claim that something is truthful then it must be doubted first. The opposing potentiality must be considered; you must question first to find an answer. If the Bible is true or not does not have special leverage or excuse from this. I, an atheist, say one thing but am willing to fully consider what you, a theist, have to say concerning the matter. You seem to not want to reciprocate in fairness, and I'm saying that is telling of how insecure you may be with your convictions' authenticity.
If the absolute truth changes, then it could not have been the absolute truth in the first place.

Ignoring that this is a circular argument, why would you say this is this so? Perhaps you discovered this via revelation?
My point is, that there is no difference.

This your original statement which prompted this individual set of point-counterpoint here: "Apologies if you misunderstood my sentiment, but insulting you was not part of my intention, but I've yet to hear a good reason from any explicit atheist as to why they are atheist, that doesn't equate to "i don't believe.." or "i deny the existence..." I said these reasons are the same ones theists give, and you say you agree; which means that you also think that these reasons theists give are also not "good reasons"?

Last edited:
Celpha Fiael,

Now having given you an example, I repeat myself, "It is very much like somebody--or multiple people if that pacifies you more--saying 'This is so because I(/we) say so.'"

You stated;

The point was that the source which is making these extravagant claims is the same one that provides all justification. It is very much like somebody--or multiple people if that pacifies you more--saying "This is so because I(/we) say so."

The source (scriptures) do not "provide justification" as there is no need.
Any book which imparts knowledge or factual information is justified by the reader.
The scripture says "this is so", only, as, "because we say so" has no need to arise if the claims are true. The problem you have, is believing the scriptures to be true, not whether they are actually true or not.

So you would say that your beliefs are backed by no form of authentication whatsoever?

Did you read my response? I said;
I believe an example was given to you earlier by Vital One, when said something to the effect of, gravity was true before it was understood.

What I am affirming is that that evidence is insufficient and weak in comparison to other types of evidence, which point to a God not existing.

Such as?

But I'm not sure why you ask this, apparently, evidence doesn't matter at all to you (see three quotes above).

Your either lying, or you haven't understood my argument correctly.

You miss the point, dear.

On the contrary, that is the point, faith being a virtue is understood by experience.

I have not condemned anyone, and I would appreciate it if you didn't put words like that in my mouth.

Oh come now, you claimed that people of the Islamic faith did 911 because they believed they were going to heaven to play footsie with some virgins. And the cause of this atrocity was religious faith. What is that if not a condemnation of Islam, a religion you admit to not knowing anything about, or any scripturaly based religion in which people cultivate faith in God?

I have pointed out that religion is holistically pejorative.

Your accusations override this statement.

And you're wrong, it would have to be long, too long for me to put the effort into it here. Go look up 9/11 and fundamentalist faith, I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied if you'll put a bit of study into it.

I didn't make those accusations, you did. I'm merely asking you to back them up if you can, but, unsurprisingly, it seems can't.

For starters, that God exists, which shapes everything else in their entire lives profoundly.

How do you know, have you asked them?
Your very quick to jump to conclusions about things you don't fully understand.

I wouldn't be able to tell you that, as I am far more familiar with Christianity and the Bible than with Islam and the Qur'an.

Maybe you should get some proper information before trumpeting your accusations.

I don't know the details of the Qur'an as I've said, but I've already given examples of how I see the Muslims using faith to uphold several overlying tenants found therein.

And we know where your opinions lie.

I think it would not be fair to say that all devout Muslims are apt to commit such acts, I stated in an earlier post (though its precise location escapes me) that indeed some people who shared the faith with these 9/11 high-jackers would wish to separate themselves from such acts of violence.

Why would they, if they are DEVOUT muslims?

That was not my point however, my point was that these high-jackers were able to do what they did in the first place because of a stronger delusion than most Muslims adhere to, which was rooted in pure speculation, i.e. faith.

Oh! So it's just a case of different levels of delusion is it? :D
It seems you are particulary impartial to muslims. Is this true, and can you explain why, if it is?

I can't help but get the feeling you are painting yourself in to a rather awkward corner; earlier you denounce evidence as necessary for truth, and now you beg it of me, like you consider it of utmost importance.

*SIGH*
I said TRUTH does not rely on evidence, for its existence. Do you understand that, or would you like me to put it in real simple terms?
But back to the point. Your accusation requires evidence otherwise I will see it as an attack on Islam, and scriptoral religions in general, and as such I will have no choice but to view all your objections to religion as irrational, and unreasonable. Its as simple as that.

Oh good, because I do have a point. I don't blame religion, I blame faith, which is unfortunately largely what religion is rooted in.

Are you saying that people who have faith in God are capable of such heinous acts, because they have faith in God?

If religions were able to exorcise themselves of faith and retain successful institutions then I would have no qualms with it.

What would be the point of such institutions.

Faith is the cause of such conflict (given that the adherents are willing to delve into it), and it is opposed to reason in the highest magnitude.

I'll await your evidence before I comment.

By the same token, if the Hindu gods exist, then we have a good idea of what happens after we die; reincarnation. To say that an assumption exists in scriptural context is not enough to say that it is a reliable or insightful belief.

Then don't believe it.

No, it's because some abandon themselves more to the idea of faith than others.

a) How do you know this?
b) So suicide bombings are part and parcel of the Islamic religion?

If you still think (erroneously) that this is a baseless assumption after all the questions I've answered for you and explanations, then let me know because I think we will have reached the end of our possible progress.

As far as I can see, you are attacking religion, Islam in particular.
If that is the case, you don't need me.

Once again we have this leering contradiction in your ideas of evidence and its importance. Let's try an approach from a different angle, as to keep you from falling into this again; what other reasons can you think of for these otherwise sane and loving people (all had families with children) to do such a heinous act?

Who are you talking about?
Please get the evidence that this act was commited by people acting out of religous faith, because of their faith.

Jan.

The source (scriptures) do not "provide justification" as there is no need.
Any book which imparts knowledge or factual information is justified by the reader.
The scripture says "this is so", only, as, "because we say so" has no need to arise if the claims are true. The problem you have, is believing the scriptures to be true, not whether they are actually true or not.

Just because a book presents something it wishes you to take as factual doesn't mean it is fact. The alternative is that these scriptures are not true, in which case they would need to provide answers beyond "because we say so." But we can't progress the debate because you refuse to even consider that they might be false.

Did you read my response? I said;
I believe an example was given to you earlier by Vital One, when said something to the effect of, gravity was true before it was understood.

Point taken but the next step is how we observe truth, in which evidence is crucial. This is a relevant point because you claimed the truth of the scriptures can be known, in which case, there would need to be some sort of evidence to know it by.
Everything material; of it, there is nothing that requires the insertion of a God or a supernatural realm for that matter.
Your either lying, or you haven't understood my argument correctly.
You've told me that truth does not rely upon evidence. We can only be sure of this in retrospective examples (the case with gravity). As for us in the here and now, we need evidence of a truth before we can ever possibly make a claim that it exists in the first place. To say "that truth has always been, regardless of our understanding of it," requires understanding of that truth to begin with. How do you think we got to understanding gravity in the first place?
On the contrary, that is the point, faith being a virtue is understood by experience.
How is tasting a pineapple using faith?
Oh come now, you claimed that people of the Islamic faith did 911 because they believed they were going to heaven to play footsie with some virgins. And the cause of this atrocity was religious faith. What is that if not a condemnation of Islam, a religion you admit to not knowing anything about, or any scripturaly based religion in which people cultivate faith in God?
It is just an aspect of that religion that I see as pejorative, as I've said before.
I didn't make those accusations, you did. I'm merely asking you to back them up if you can, but, unsurprisingly, it seems can't.
Here is a source for you to check out: God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens. I've given you a source, now it is your turn to decide whether or not you really want to know.
How do you know, have you asked them?
Your very quick to jump to conclusions about things you don't fully understand.
Let's see. First you asked what do these religions base on faith. I then said that a belief in God is based on faith. You then ask me how do I know, when you yourself have stated this very thing...
Jan Ardena said:
Faith is the only thing that can allows belief in God...
So don't try to pull that fast one on me, you should be asking yourself the same question.

If that example wasn't good enough for you, here is another: religions, at least the one you seem to argue for, base belief in the truth of their holy books on faith. Once again, you've noted this already in our conversation, so I don't know why you need me to keep pointing these out to you:
Jan Ardena said:
(Bolding mine)
Maybe you should get some proper information before trumpeting your accusations.
I think you are being too insidious; I don't have a wealth of information on the Qu'ran but I am familiar enough with it to know that it promotes the idea of faith, and that was enough to answer your question. Slow down there Jan.
Why would they, if they are DEVOUT muslims?
I guess you'd first have to define what you think devout means in order for us to dispute this further. In my views, being a devout Muslim doesn't mean by default being an advocate of violence.
Oh! So it's just a case of different levels of delusion is it? :D
It seems you are particulary impartial to muslims. Is this true, and can you explain why, if it is?
I use some fundamentalist Muslims as an example because their uses of faith for violence is fresh in our collective mind. I have just as much of a problem with someone abusing faith in the Christian religion, would you rather me switch to that from now on?
*SIGH*
I said TRUTH does not rely on evidence, for its existence. Do you understand that, or would you like me to put it in real simple terms?
I understand very clearly, but in order for you to ever have any understanding of any truth, you will first have to consider some sort of evidence attesting to it, otherwise you wouldn't know that it existed in the first place. In order to know of gravity, there has to be some sort of interaction with it. In order to understand gravity, there has to be some sort of pursuit of that knowledge which highly involves evidence. You can be effected by it and have an intuitive sense of it, as in the case with gravity, but in terms of understanding it, tests have to be made and evidence has to be presented. This differs from what you are saying because while, yes you have a point that all these truths existed before humans' view of it, evidence is essential if we are to wish to begin to view it in the first place. That is what I think you haven't considered yet.
But back to the point. Your accusation requires evidence otherwise I will see it as an attack on Islam, and scriptoral religions in general, and as such I will have no choice but to view all your objections to religion as irrational, and unreasonable. Its as simple as that.
It's actually not as simple as that; this is one point-counterpoint of many we are currently engaged in. It seems as though your primary interest is to find an excuse to say all my objections are irrational and be done with it. (I think you've made several irrational conclusions, yet I still listen to what you are saying!) In any case, the claim in question ("The high-jackers drove the planes into buildings because they believed they would get a heavenly reward.") is something that can neither be proven or disproven; you couldn't prove to me that they weren't thinking that. It is therefore in the realm of speculation, which we must apply our rationality and logic to if we are to arrive at any answer. My conclusion is one that is a rational possibility one can come to after giving it some thought; what drove the high-jackers to do that? It is not a concealed secret of any kind that Muslim fundamentalists in particular are willing to commit suicide for heavenly rewards. I'd be happy to consider an alternative argument.
Are you saying that people who have faith in God are capable of such heinous acts, because they have faith in God?
Not necessarily, people who don't have faith in God are also capable of horrible atrocities (Stalin for example, was an atheist). I'm saying that in the wrong hands, faith is all that is needed to justify such heinous acts. I know plenty who have faith in God who would never commit suicide for him or other things of the sort, but in my views, they have committed intellectual suicide by adhering to faith in the first place. While a small portion of faith-users are violent with it, all in my opinion are conceptually doing just as much violent damage to intelligence.
What would be the point of such institutions.
Perhaps some of the things religion offers today; comfort, security, community.
Then don't believe it.
Exactly, and by the same token we shouldn't believe what the Bible says about the matter either. It is the exact same criticism.
a) How do you know this?
b) So suicide bombings are part and parcel of the Islamic religion?
I will demonstrate my point by asking something concerning faith. Would you sacrifice your own child if God told you to do so? Some who adhere to faith would not, some would have serious reservations, and some probably would. These different types represent to me varying degrees of commitment to faith.
As far as I can see, you are attacking religion, Islam in particular.
If that is the case, you don't need me.
Once again, I am not attacking religion itself, mainly just how said religions saturate themselves with this idea of faith, which I see as unhealthy and pejorative. Please understand this time; "In short, religion promotes faith which is a horrible concept to begin with, and this makes acts of senseless violence and non-thinking remarkably easy." The fact that we see suicide bombers doing such acts convinced by faith that they will get a heavenly reward is evidence of my claim.
Who are you talking about?
Please get the evidence that this act was commited by people acting out of religous faith, because of their faith.

Have you not been keeping up on current events? It's almost like you don't want to believe that people blow themselves up.
Here:
http://www.amilimani.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=2

It took me about 3 seconds to find this article on Google, it is a last will and testament of an Islamic suicide bomber. If you do a little research, I'm sure you could find more examples, as this is one instance of many. I have picked out some key passages which provide evidence that this man was acting out of religious faith, and because of that faith:
"In the name of God the Merciful, the Compassionate..."

"I, Hasan, the son of Akbar, resident of the village of Saraab, being of sound mind and resolute belief in Muhammad..."

"I have found it my sacred duty to answer the call and volunteer as suicide martyr for any mission that our Olama (religious leaders) assign to this humble servant."

"In order to assist other brothers who may have similar questions as they contemplate to offer themselves in the service of our infallible faith, I hereby report the essence of my conversation with Agha."

[His priest speaking...]"The very fact that you are volunteering proves that you place no value whatsoever on this fistful of dust, this worthless world, and you are aiming for eternal life in Allah’s paradise."

The article is very long as you can see and is riddled with passages like these. My point is made evident within the first sentences.

Back