What's on your iPod?

whatever happened to Garbage?
They're back, after something like a nine-year hiatus. I saw them at the 9:30 Club in DC a few months ago.

More from Seether - One Cold Night:
I love Seether. Have seen them twice at the Ram's Head Live in Baltimore. The first time they had hired a second guitarist and the music had more punch, but they really tear the house down. I do "Fake It" and their harder-rockin' version of George Michael's "Careless Whispers" at karaoke

Perhaps it's time to change the thread again. "What's on your phone?" is generally the question nowadays.
My cellphone doesn't even do texting. ("Nothing worth reading was ever written by a man who was attempting to type with his thumbs.") So I'll leave the title as is. ;)

Janis Ian
I saw her at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium 30 years ago, with a full band and a backup singer who did her double-track harmonies perfectly. Then a couple of years ago I saw her billed at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA, so I went down. She came out on the stage all alone with an acoustic guitar, but she was still spellbinding.

She had just published her autobiography so she was weaving vignettes from it between the songs. The most touching:

She's a big sci-fi fan and often speaks at conventions. She was signed up for one in Toronto, and said to her partner, "Why don't you come with me? We can get married legally in Canada." When they walked up to the desk at the hotel the clerk asked, "So I suppose you're here for the sci-fi convention?"

She was about to say, "Yes," when her partner blurted out, "No, we came here to get married."

The clerk congratulated them, moved them to the bridal suite at no extra charge, and made sure it was stocked with champagne. For the rest of the week, everywhere they went, Canadians stopped to take their pictures, buy them drinks, or simply sit with them to wish them well and make their feelings about the issue of gay marriage crystal clear.

As she put it, "It was such a wonderful feeling, to realize that we were loved, and the might of an entire nation was behind us.

"Then we came home."

She tore a rotator cuff last year and had to cancel some shows. I did the same thing in 2009 so I sent her a lot of advice on how to deal with that as a musician. For starters, pretend it's still 1966 and recreate the old girl-on-a-stool image; it's easier to play that way than standing up. She's very gracious and we've continued to chat by e-mail. Saw her again several months ago at the Ram's Head On Stage in Annapolis. She was in good shape. She apologized for not having time to practice my favorite song, "What About The Love," but promised to do it next time.

Fraggle Rocker;

Re: Garbage...no way! How awesome is that?!
I'm officially jealous. :D

Stanley;

Im happy to see all these versions of Wild Horses. :)

Motor Daddy;

And a virtual *high five* to you for posting up all those Seether vids! Woot!

Me thinks we could all swap iPods with one another and be quite satisfied!
:cool:

And a virtual *high five* to you for posting up all those Seether vids! Woot!

Virtual high five to you too. ;)

I just can not get enough of One Cold Night. I love every song. The acoustic guitars and the precision of every note on time, along with his raspy voice, is just perfection to me.

I love Seether. Have seen them twice at the Ram's Head Live in Baltimore. The first time they had hired a second guitarist and the music had more punch, but they really tear the house down. I do "Fake It" and their harder-rockin' version of George Michael's "Careless Whispers" at karaoke

I'd like to see you perform sometime. Is NC on your tour schedule? ;)

Virtual high five to you too. ;)

I just can not get enough of One Cold Night. I love every song. The acoustic guitars and the precision of every note on time, along with his raspy voice, is just perfection to me.

They are awesome, indeed! Hey, do you ever listen to Slipknot? (the right music for weight lifting lol)
But, not something I listen to on a steady basis. But, their lead singer is the lead singer in another band he formed called Stone Sour.
You might like them. :)

I'd like to see you perform sometime.

Ditto ^^
:D

I'd like to see you perform sometime. Is NC on your tour schedule?
My last band broke up in 2012 and I haven't been able to find a new one. With the bad economy, people are doing more of their drinking at home, bars aren't making enough money, so they don't book as much live music.

I don't go on tour singing karaoke. Call me next time you're in Maryland. ;)

Don't have one. I play CDs in the car and at home. And my own compilation tapes from the old days. I don't want to have to plan a program every time I turn on music.

Hey, do you ever listen to Slipknot?
I'm not a big fan of Slipknot. As far as I'm concerned, the best hard rock was 1970s Black Sabbath--although Ozzy's first couple of solo albums were pretty good.

But when I saw Apocalyptica, a Finnish all-instrumental band (heavy metal on four cellos, you've got to hear it to believe it), they added Corey Taylor to spice up the live performance with some vocals. When they cover "Enter Sandman" they just let the audience provide the vocals. (They started out as a novelty band, covering only Metallica. Everyone was surprised by the wild reception they got, so they branched out.)

This server blocks YouTube but look for Apocalyptica doing "Enter Sandman" in a gigantic outdoor concert in Europe. With six gazillion fans singing the lyrics.

Oh, I don't think SK is the best hard rock band. :eek:
They are my go to music for the gym.

I have a wide array of tastes...various genres.

From jazz...to trance...to hard rock...to even belly dancing tunes, my iPod is like having my own personal DJ.

<< not a Black Sabbath fan/just not my thang

Call me next time you're in Maryland. ;)

I'll do that. ;) I bought a townhouse in Edgewood in 1994 while I was assigned at Aberdeen Proving Ground as an instructor. I lived there for 3 years until they shipped me off to Korea. I returned to Edgewood after I retired in 2003 and lived there for 3 more years. Maryland is my second favorite place to live, NC being the first!

I saw Ozzy way back in the early 80's in the Landmark Theater in Syracuse, NY. Awesome show! Pink Floyd in Munich and Stuttgart was WAY BETTER, though! AC/DC...Rush...Blue Oyster Cult...Heart...and Van Halen are of honorable mention too. My last concert was Nickelback, Puddle of Mud, and 3 Doors Down. FANTASTIC SHOW!! :)

Edit: Oh BTW, my beloved classic Firebird made the news while I lived there in Edgewood. The local news channel played the same video clip over and over for a couple weeks. Seems a couple young punks decided to show how tough they were, and at about 1 AM in the morning they stood in front of my house and called for a cab. When the cab showed up they jumped in and shot the guy in the head. The guy died instantly and crashed the cab into my neighbor's truck. Long story short, the punks were a couple of wannabe gang bangers that were trying to prove themselves by killing an innocent person. It was a few weeks before Christmas and the Cabbie took on the job to earn some extra money to buy some Christmas presents for his 9 kids. He was an active member in the community and church, a very good person. Sad, and I still can't believe that people can be so heartless and cold blooded, but they are. They're in jail for life now. My car was shown on TV repeatedly as the story was updated on a daily basis. Needless to say but I'll say it anyway, I moved! :)

http://www.harfordsheriff.org/news/view/?id=28

Last edited:
I saw her at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium 30 years ago, with a full band and a backup singer who did her double-track harmonies perfectly. Then a couple of years ago I saw her billed at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA, so I went down. She came out on the stage all alone with an acoustic guitar, but she was still spellbinding.

She had just published her autobiography so she was weaving vignettes from it between the songs. The most touching:

She's a big sci-fi fan and often speaks at conventions. She was signed up for one in Toronto, and said to her partner, "Why don't you come with me? We can get married legally in Canada." When they walked up to the desk at the hotel the clerk asked, "So I suppose you're here for the sci-fi convention?"

She was about to say, "Yes," when her partner blurted out, "No, we came here to get married."

The clerk congratulated them, moved them to the bridal suite at no extra charge, and made sure it was stocked with champagne. For the rest of the week, everywhere they went, Canadians stopped to take their pictures, buy them drinks, or simply sit with them to wish them well and make their feelings about the issue of gay marriage crystal clear.

As she put it, "It was such a wonderful feeling, to realize that we were loved, and the might of an entire nation was behind us.

"Then we came home."

She tore a rotator cuff last year and had to cancel some shows. I did the same thing in 2009 so I sent her a lot of advice on how to deal with that as a musician. For starters, pretend it's still 1966 and recreate the old girl-on-a-stool image; it's easier to play that way than standing up. She's very gracious and we've continued to chat by e-mail. Saw her again several months ago at the Ram's Head On Stage in Annapolis. She was in good shape. She apologized for not having time to practice my favorite song, "What About The Love," but promised to do it next time.

As a young teen I must have played Between the Lines a thousand times, what beautiful songwriting. To see her with just an acoustic with that lovely voice must have been a real treat. While most of my peers were listening to ACDC, Metallica, Led Zep and other hard rock bands I would steal away and listen to Janis, James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Ray Charles and Motown Artists. As I reached adulthood I did start appreciating hard rock and listen to it more now than I did as a youth, which kind of amuses me since most of those peers that thought my taste in music was boring now listen to only country.

I still follow all the new and upcoming artists and am very impressed with the new talent out there.

Brit Floyd - The Great Gig in the Sky

[video=youtube;CVWHItGgrdE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=CVWHItGgrdE&feature=endscreen[/video]

Brit Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond

[video=youtube;skN_Uo4fki0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=skN_Uo4fki0[/video]

Cutest Jailbird I ever did See!!

[video=youtube_share;gj0Rz-uP4Mk]http://youtu.be/gj0Rz-uP4Mk[/video]

I went to an Elvis concert at 13 years of age and it is one of the best memories of my childhood. The King is who inspired me to play the guitar and to swivel my hips.:p

aw, that's ^^ wonderful, quinnsong! :)

bush fans?

hmmm?

[video=youtube;BIF_b4WIlCQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIF_b4WIlCQ[/video]

[video=youtube;S62eh5Fv3gs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S62eh5Fv3gs[/video]

This song is very special. Seal has done a masterful job of remaking this one...

Enjoy.

[video=youtube;qw-mItvdS7o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw-mItvdS7o[/video]

Back