What would you accept as proof that a god exists?

As far as agnosticism goes - in theory, I agree with what you say. But not when applied to real, everyday life.

Agnosticism makes for a miserable state of mind. Sure, people who can afford a certain level of material comfort can remedy this misery to some extent - so externally, such agnostics don't seem to be all that bothered by their agnosticism.

And as for atheism - The concept of "atheism" doesn't apply when those three conditions mentioned above are not in place.

You are making unwarranted assumptions. What persuades you that agnosticism makes for a miserable state of mind ? I believe it frees people from the shackles of all the god stuff that causes so many problems. In short, it enables people to get on with their lives.

A remedy for misery is unnecessary where no misery exists. I suspect you are being self-referential.

Last edited:
When you work on a daily basis around a lot of tragedy, death, and dying you tend to see the work of a higher being. It's like a connection being made and once made a sort of peacefulness and acceptance takes hold. I swear, sometimes these people almost radiate this glow...it's weird. I see these people talking with angles and the hair on my arms stand on end. Death makes for the great beliver. My stats professor said once, "Why gamble? On your deathbed ask for forgiveness, are you going to spend eternity in hell over a simple sentence, if your right who cares, if the preacher is right you will win either way."

For there to be "proof of God", several other things would need to be true, at least these:

1. All humans and all other phenomena would need to possess selfhood; ie. each of them would need to possess an identity that would be independent, existent in and of itself.

2. There would need to exist such a thing as objective reality (as opposed to subjective reality) that would be known as such to all humans.

3. Humans would need to have free will. This includes the ability to instantly see through one's delusion if one would be delusional.

I am not sure about any of these three points, so I don't seek proof of God.

Yeah those are pretty much what I came up with in a much more well-defined way. I thought about it for a while and could not see how we, as humans, would ever get past your second point.

My stats professor said once, "Why gamble? On your deathbed ask for forgiveness, are you going to spend eternity in hell over a simple sentence, if your right who cares, if the preacher is right you will win either way."
It's always struck me as bizarre that you could, theoretically, rob and rape andd kill all day, every day, yet enter paradise on the basis of a single last-minute repentance speech. It says a lot about the power of forgiveness but I can't help feeling that it's slightly unjust and a bit of a cheat.

When you work on a daily basis around a lot of tragedy, death, and dying you tend to see the work of a higher being. It's like a connection being made and once made a sort of peacefulness and acceptance takes hold. I swear, sometimes these people almost radiate this glow...it's weird. I see these people talking with angles and the hair on my arms stand on end. Death makes for the great beliver. My stats professor said once, "Why gamble? On your deathbed ask for forgiveness, are you going to spend eternity in hell over a simple sentence, if your right who cares, if the preacher is right you will win either way."

Your professor was quoting Pascal who, in my opinion, was a moral coward, backing his horse both ways.

You are reacting emotionally to what you see, which is naturali the circumstances. You don't know what the state of mind is of the people who are dying. A you probably know, lots of people claim to have experienced NDEs but there's a physiological explanation.

When I have seen people close to death, some with horrible diseases. I ask myself how anyone can believe in god.

Last edited:
Ok, I hope I'm not restarting an old thread here but I was wondering what you would accept as proof that a god exists.

This is not for those that already believe that there is a god but for those who says there is no proof or not enough proof of the existence of a god.

him sitting with my family having dinner with us!!

It's always struck me as bizarre that you could, theoretically, rob and rape andd kill all day, every day, yet enter paradise on the basis of a single last-minute repentance speech. It says a lot about the power of forgiveness but I can't help feeling that it's slightly unjust and a bit of a cheat.

That's one of religion's main arrractions. You can avoid living with responsibility for you actions by telling yourself that god has forgiven you. An atheist has no such comfort blanket and must take full responsibility for what he does.

it's not a problem. "in his image" could mean a lot of things, and if god is just a human, then he's not a god now is he? truth is, i don't know what god is...

Nothing is a problem for those who have a glib answer to any objection to what what they believe. You just make it up as you go along. Life should be that easy !

i'm inclined not to believe you, but instead i'll settle for a relative definition of weird. and i only contest because you are one of the most enlightened ones i've ever heard witness, and i know you had to experience it to get that way.

im only enlightened in some things... because my life sux. so i have nothing to do but think all day. jesus said in the bible that i should hate my life and my parents so that i go to heaven.... ... but im not even sure what he meant

if i was enlightened i would find a way to end this life... or ...atleast make it not suck

and i really haven't... experienced anything weird...... just pain

the bible said.. through his (jesus) wounds we are healed
yes.. through my own wounds
Yeah, yorda is enlightend...... Yeah right.

yoda is enlitened..... in star wars... ur avatar
i dont like starwars

agreed. If I was a Christian I would be pissed as hell to see Hitler and Ted Bundy in heaven.

Nothing is a problem for those who have a glib answer to any objection to what what they believe. You just make it up as you go along. Life should be that easy !

my answer is honest, valid, and makes perfect sense. the fact that you don't like it doesn't affect the integrity of it, just your impression of it.

im only enlightened in some things... because my life sux. so i have nothing to do but think all day. jesus said in the bible that i should hate my life and my parents so that i go to heaven.... ... but im not even sure what he meant

if i was enlightened i would find a way to end this life... or ...atleast make it not suck

and i really haven't... experienced anything weird...... just pain

the bible said.. through his (jesus) wounds we are healed
yes.. through my own wounds

it seems to me that pain brings enlightenment. i think it says that in the bible somewhere too. that's why monks torture themselves. as if normal everyday life isn't enough (???) but it's true it seems, the more comfortable you are the less driven you are. comfort = lazy. people who are "happy" don't want answers...they don't have questions. most of the time it seems they want ignorance. after all, ignorance is bliss right? in some ways it is.

do you know why the bible says to hate this life and your parents?

is that a picture of you?

Back