What makes a holy text holy?

DoctorNO said:
Again by what terms and standards am i supposed to beat the recitations of mohammed? And who is to judge it?

And by what terms and standards did the Quran beat all other paganistic recitations at the time? And who judged it? You have no creative bone in your body. What do you want, want Mohamed to come out of the grave and spoon feed you the answer?

Flores said:
I don't know, give a complete link to the book so I can read it and judge for myself. Complete versions please.

Paul's epistles are all in the bible, my friend. I dont know where you can find a book of mormons but the results are out there by the millions. Millions of mormons who found the book "beautiful" and "sensible".

Flores said:
And by what terms and standards did the Quran beat all other paganistic recitations? You have no creative bone in your body.
By the standards of warfare, assassinations and intimidations.

DoctorNO said:
Paul's epistles are all in the bible, my friend. I dont know where you can find a book of mormons but the results are out there by the millions. Millions of mormons who found the book "beautiful" and "sensible".

Where is the darn book....Links please??? Do these books have an author preface? provide that as well.

Here's a link to the COMPLETE BOOK OF QURAN.
http://www.pearls.org/TheHolyBook/TheHolyBook.html

Flores said:
You have no creative bone in your body. What do you want, want Mohamed to come out of the grave and spoon feed you the answer?
No I only want the quran to live to its challenge. It gave the challenge but forgot to give the rules. Therefore the challenge is invalid.

DoctorNO said:
By the standards of warfare, assassinations and intimidations.

You must be kidding? This same man had to convince at least some followers to fight his wars, to do his assasination, and to perform his intimidations? How did he convince such great army in a matter of very short time?

Second, I hear that Mohammed was fought the most by his own people, so who fought his wars that you are talking about.

Third, Tell me one DEAD leader that have managed to inspire billions from the grave? Can't be a dictator, he's dead.

DoctorNO said:
and here is a link for the BIBLE and many of its translations. Enjoy! :D

Did your cat eat your homework? Where is the darn link? And I didn't ask for an entire bible, I asked for ONE FREAKIN AUTHOR...One person...

We will compare the writing of one person compared to Mohamed's

DoctorNO said:
No I only want the quran to live to its challenge. It gave the challenge but forgot to give the rules. Therefore the challenge is invalid.

Very Very funny indeed.

Beautifull and straight out of your mouth. You want Allah to come down and recreate the miracle of Quran again, because you can't even move or begin to think about meeting a challenge without Allah telling you how?

Submit you unworthy one...and profess that Allah is the only one worthy of praise.

Flores said:
You must be kidding? This same man had to convince at least some followers to fight his wars, to do his assasination, and to perform his intimidations? How did he convince such great army in a matter of very short time?
13+ years to be exact. His first decade spent in Mecca produced little converts. He was criticized by christians, jews, pagans & poets. In Medina he couldnt stand the criticisms of a Poetess mother of several children and thus approved for her assassinations.

Anyway such a violent history ensured that nobody challenges the powerful "prophet". So victory by absence of challengers.

DoctorNO said:
13+ years to be exact. His first decade spent in Mecca produced little converts. He was criticized by christians, jews, pagans & poets. In Medina he couldnt stand the criticisms of a Poetess mother of several children and thus approved for her assassinations.

Anyway such a violent history ensured that nobody challenges the powerful "prophet". So victory by absence of challengers.

One freakin man? Who must have been spending all his free time in a cave to write a huge Quran? Go on my dear, make up more shit, you are worthless.

Flores said:
Very Very funny indeed.

Beautifull and straight out of your mouth. You want Allah to come down and recreate the miracle of Quran again, because you can't even move or begin to think about meeting a challenge without Allah telling you how?

Submit you unworthy one...and profess that Allah is the only one worthy of praise.

C'mon flores. Every other textual, scientific and mathematical challenges in the net have their rules. Why did mohammad (a.k.a Allah) forget to write down his rules?

In what way should the challenge be taken up? Was it supposed to be in ANCIENT Arabic? Was it supposed to be poetical? Was it supposed to be consisting of particular consonants? Was it supposed to be of particular lengths? Was it supposed to be musical? What?

I gotta go. Have a good night! :)

DoctorNO said:
In what way should the challenge be taken up? Was it supposed to be in ANCIENT Arabic? Was it supposed to be poetical? Was it supposed to be consisting of particular consonants? Was it supposed to be of particular lengths? Was it supposed to be musical? What?

In all of the above, just pick something and take the challenge.
Buck Buck Buckack.

Wes - I know you asked an honest question, but do you really think you'll get anything more than "I'd like to see YOU write a holy book!"

I thought it possible, yes... though somewhat doubtful. Still I do hope someone can come up a reasonable argument. Hmm. Yeah I don't see it happening. Perhaps I shouldn't have asked. I'm curious though damnit. I just wonder if they stop to ask the question and if so, what do they answer? Then I wonder, is the answer reasonable? I then think, well it must be by definition to them, but to me I'm almost sure it'll sound stupid. I'm trying to figure out how to bridge the gap.

Meh. I suppose I'm really quite curious as to what thought process can justify to someone the difference between say, reading Hawking or the bible. To me, Hawking kicks the bible or quran or most anything else some might claim as "spiritual" in da nutz. I wouldn't consider his writings "holy" though.

Hrmph. I'm trying to break it down, but ultimately, it was just something I was thinking about while eating my lunch today, so I thought I'd see what people think.

Hmm. Yeah see but that's the thing, if I write a book, who do I have to pay to get everyone to call it "holy"? Hehe.

Flores:

Thanks for your responses, you are a fascinating individual, I'll try to hit you up on some of it tonight. All in all, your first response probably sums up the topic at hand well enough not to pursue it, but one never knows what can come from a conversation, so we'll see what comes of it.

wesmorris said:
Meh. I suppose I'm really quite curious as to what thought process can justify to someone the difference between say, reading Hawking or the bible. To me, Hawking kicks the bible or quran or most anything else some might claim as "spiritual" in da nutz. I wouldn't consider his writings "holy" though.
Personally, I've found Herbert's 'Dune' series to be the single most enlightening work I've ever read. As far as religious works go, I would have to say my favorite is the Tao Te Ching (Dao De Jing).

Like you I find no logical basis upon which to validate any 'Holy' text but I think that is, in part, the point.

Flores said:
"Say: if all of mankind and the jinn were to gather together to produce the like of this Holy Book, they could not produce the like of it, even if they backed each other with help and support (17.88)."
Flores, I would take this single chapter over the entire Quran:

"Cultivate harmony within yourself, and harmony becomes real;
Cultivate harmony within your family, and harmony becomes fertile;
Cultivate harmony within your community, and harmony becomes abundant;
Cultivate harmony within your culture, and harmony becomes enduring;
Cultivate harmony within the world, and harmony becomes ubiquitous.

Live with a person to understand that person;
Live with a family to understand that family;
Live with a community to understand that community;
Live with a culture to understand that culture;
Live with the world to understand the world.

How can I live with the world?
By accepting."

http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/gthursby/taoism/ttcmerel.htm

Never while reading the Quran did I cry.

~Raithere

Preacher_X said:
it was chose in Arabic for a reason,
That being that Mohammed was Arabic.

That’s like saying, the Qur’an was “chosen” to be based around Judaic literature because god wanted to see Jews and Muslims at one another’s throat in the centuries to come. My point being that you’re picking an attribute (that the Qur’an is written in Arabic) and post hoc deciding on a reason why this is without any logical reason. The real reason, to my postulation, being the fact the Mohammed was directly influenced by Christians and Jews living in the area and to yours that Mohammed spoke Arabic.

If this was not the case then it must just be purely ironic that Shinto was founded in Nihon gi! And Taoism in Mandarin, WOW what coincidences!

Incidentally, I wonder, is Arabic a tonal based language? If so how many tones are used and per what unit of sound? Say “ma” for example.

Flores said:
This same man had to convince at least some followers to fight his wars, to do his assasination, and to perform his intimidations? How did he convince such great army in a matter of very short time?

Second, I hear that Mohammed was fought the most by his own people, so who fought his wars that you are talking about.

Third, Tell me one DEAD leader that have managed to inspire billions from the grave? Can't be a dictator, he's dead.
For a second there - I thought you were talking about Chairman Mao!

Well
Q1) This same man had to convince at least some followers to fight his wars, to do his assassination, and to perform his intimidations?
A1) Chairman Mao.

Q2) How did he convince such great army in a matter of very short time?
A1) Charismatic – Chairman Mao that is.

Q3) Second, I hear that Chairman Mao was fought the most by his own people, so who fought his wars that you are talking about?
A3) Yup, and now his own people that didn’t follow him are in Taiwan. To answer your question, those that helped him, his followers, eventually routed the enemy and conquered the country.

Q4) Tell me one DEAD leader that have managed to inspire billions from the grave? Can't be a dictator, he's dead.
A4) Chairman Mao. He wasn’t a dictator – he was a father – the Greatest Country's father - China's Father. And it used to be important to say thanks to him before every meal (true story).

Of course in today’s day and age, Chairman Mao wasn’t deified. However, 1500 years ago I’m sure he would have been. The very next leader would have made sure that was the case. Just like Augustus did with Julius or Abu Bakr. Typical really.

§outh§tar said:
God is Love.

I believe that is profound enough for anyone.

Respectfully, I strongly disagree. I also think that's pretty much off topic.

I feel like a mormon just knocked on my door. ;)

I think the fundamental theorum of calculus is profound.

I suppose it could be considered holy.

It's interesting how the technical validity of a perspective is so dependent on the minutia of its semantics. Obvious I guess. Pardon the blather.

Back