What is the real reason christians join scientific forums?

wsionynw said:
Who says consciousness existed before animal life evolved on this planet?

not me, I asked if it did not then how did it manifest?

So how did it manifest?

How many brain cells does it take to manifest consciousness?
What are the ingredients for consciousness?

Theoryofrelativity said:
Redardless

back to thread topic, why do theists (despite many scientists being theists) have no place on a science forum?

They do have a place, they post threads all the time. The question was why do they post on sciforums, and why do they think quotes from the Bible will convince anyone that isn't a theist?

Theoryofrelativity said:
not me, I asked if it did not then how did it manifest?

So how did it manifest?

How many brain cells does it take to manifest consciousness?
What are the ingredients for consciousness?

God must have done it :rolleyes:

wsionynw said:
They do have a place, they post threads all the time. The question was why do they post on sciforums, and why do they think quotes from the Bible will convince anyone that isn't a theist?

many theists here don't make any contribution to the religion forum, many theists have never read the Bible and so never quote it, like myself. Many theists are interested in the other forums and contribute accordingly.

so why is it theists despite the fact many of them are scientists, perhaps employed accordingly should not join a science board.

Common people...you are going to have to do better than this.

Theoryofrelativity said:
is this your answer, I assume thus you don't have an answer, do let me know when someone does. My guess is never

I don't have an answer, and I would never make up an answer such as "God did it". Until science finds an answer to any given question I won't waste my time thanking God or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Theoryofrelativity said:
many theists here don't make any contribution to the religion forum, many theists have never read the Bible and so never quote it, like myself. Many theists are interested in the other forums and contribute accordingly.

so why is it theists despite the fact many of them are scientists, perhaps employed accordingly should not join a science board.

Common people...you are going to have to do better than this.

Wait, hold up, I didn't say theists or Christians or Muslims, etc, should not to post on sciforums. The question was why do they choose to? Frankly I don't care for an answer, I'm just correcting you.

wsionynw said:
I don't have an answer, and I would never make up an answer such as "God did it". Until science finds an answer to any given question I won't waste my time thanking God or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Science does not have an answer??

There is an answer though

It is actually a very simple question:

How did consciousness manifest?

The most basic of all questions surely.

I have referred this question to the biology forum.

Theism is just symbolism for what we cannot comprehend at the moment. It's very convienent.

I don't know how life started. However it's easy to assume and believe that "God" did it, therefore the question is solved. No more worries.

I'd rather try to figure out all the who, what, when, where, why, and how questions and answer those. So far.. we only answered "who" but without any proof or reason for doing so. We rely on lack of evidence to say God did it. We need answers and evidence for all the six questions.

Absane said:
Theism is just symbolism for what we cannot comprehend at the moment. It's very convienent.

I don't know how life started. However it's easy to assume and believe that "God" did it, therefore the question is solved. No more worries.

I'd rather try to figure out all the who, what, when, where, why, and how questions and answer those. So far.. we only answered "who" but without any proof or reason for doing so. We rely on lack of evidence to say God did it. We need answers and evidence for all the six questions.

Science is SLOW but it will get there, it will conclude intelligent design.

How did consciousness manifest from nothing? When did humans become conscnious, were we ever not conscious creatures? Where from nothing did it come?

Theoryofrelativity said:
Science is SLOW but it will get there, it will conclude intelligent design.QUOTE]

Intelligent design as the answer to the origin of species or the origin of what you consider to be consciousness? Or both. And maybe that the grand canyon was formed in a day??

perplexity said:
It is an interesting exercise to read the Bible while substituting "consciousness" for "God".

Even more interesting: it makes sense.

Theoryofrelativity said:
it isn't at zero, so no reply needed,

Ok then. Fair enough. Tell us what evidence there is for intelligent design.

I seem to think you believe a complex system isn't capable of reaching homeostasis and advancing. Interesting.

Theoryofrelativity said:
explain the complexity of the human eye ball and how it 'evolved' thus?

Evolution of the Eye:

When evolution skeptics want to attack Darwin's theory, they often point to the human eye. How could something so complex, they argue, have developed through random mutations and natural selection, even over millions of years?

If evolution occurs through gradations, the critics say, how could it have created the separate parts of the eye -- the lens, the retina, the pupil, and so forth -- since none of these structures by themselves would make vision possible? In other words, what good is five percent of an eye?

Darwin acknowledged from the start that the eye would be a difficult case for his new theory to explain. Difficult, but not impossible. Scientists have come up with scenarios through which the first eye-like structure, a light-sensitive pigmented spot on the skin, could have gone through changes and complexities to form the human eye, with its many parts and astounding abilities.

Through natural selection, different types of eyes have emerged in evolutionary history -- and the human eye isn't even the best one, from some standpoints. Because blood vessels run across the surface of the retina instead of beneath it, it's easy for the vessels to proliferate or leak and impair vision. So, the evolution theorists say, the anti-evolution argument that life was created by an "intelligent designer" doesn't hold water: If God or some other omnipotent force was responsible for the human eye, it was something of a botched design.

Biologists use the range of less complex light sensitive structures that exist in living species today to hypothesize the various evolutionary stages eyes may have gone through.

Here's how some scientists think some eyes may have evolved: The simple light-sensitive spot on the skin of some ancestral creature gave it some tiny survival advantage, perhaps allowing it to evade a predator. Random changes then created a depression in the light-sensitive patch, a deepening pit that made "vision" a little sharper. At the same time, the pit's opening gradually narrowed, so light entered through a small aperture, like a pinhole camera.

Every change had to confer a survival advantage, no matter how slight. Eventually, the light-sensitive spot evolved into a retina, the layer of cells and pigment at the back of the human eye. Over time a lens formed at the front of the eye. It could have arisen as a double-layered transparent tissue containing increasing amounts of liquid that gave it the convex curvature of the human eye.

In fact, eyes corresponding to every stage in this sequence have been found in existing living species. The existence of this range of less complex light-sensitive structures supports scientists' hypotheses about how complex eyes like ours could evolve. The first animals with anything resembling an eye lived about 550 million years ago. And, according to one scientist's calculations, only 364,000 years would have been needed for a camera-like eye to evolve from a light-sensitive patch.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/01/1/l_011_01.html

Theoryofrelativity said:
from nothing? randomly, by accident?

Plants seem to grow from "nothing."

The ingredients are there. It just takes random chance to grow. I have tried to grow three apple trees in the past few weeks. Nothing. And I am using some top-notch soil and enough water. Nothing. It just takes time and "luck."

I finally got a sprout.. very small.. but it was there. Then it died in a day. Wtf? God must have killed it. He doesn't want me to enjoy apples.

Absane said:

It's more than that - it's the aknowledgement that life is a mystery, of which we can only elucidate some parts using e.g. science. Moreover, the task is infinite as every answer we find seems to raise more questions.

So, for theists, God is the name given to this eternal mystery at the heart of everything... the fact that the construction of the universe is so elegant and greater than our best minds can understand.

Why do christians join scientific forums? - Because science and religion are both interested in the mystery. They should be complementary, not exclusive.

Back