What is the point of believing in God if that doesn't make you happy?

So, as a natutralist, your only understanding of human emotions boils down to some chemical formula.

No. That is its ultimate essence, although as a person I appreciate the other meaning of happiness; or at least, I can allow my acceptance of their existence outside the chemical meaning on "faith". Frankly, do they have an existence aside from this in reality?

If you feel insulted that is your problem because all I sais w3as that you had not given the type of answer you were seeking.

The type of answer I was seeking? Please rephrase. Your response is garbled.

Does one have to be a naturalist to say that happiness is happiness ? That's what I call a fine answer.

Your answer is what I call strong misinterpretation. I don't think you really understand my comments.

Best,

Geoff

No. That is its ultimate essence, although as a person I appreciate the other meaning of happiness; or at least, I can allow my acceptance of their existence outside the chemical meaning on "faith". Frankly, do they have an existence aside from this in reality?

The type of answer I was seeking? Please rephrase. Your response is garbled.

Your answer is what I call strong misinterpretation. I don't think you really understand my comments.

Best,

Thanks for correcting my slip up. I confess to making them from time to time.

I asked what is happiness and now you want to get into metaphysics.Anything, it seems, to avoid a straight answer. Happiness is real to those who are happy. They are unlikely to harbour doubts about whether, for metaphysical reasons, they are truly happy.

Do you think this way when you have a toothache ?

PS I understand your answer but not why you chose to define happiness in such a peculiar way.

there are two types of happiness - long term and short term.
I would argue that the context of the statements you refer to has more to do with god has a specific interest in our long term happiness, as opposed to our short term happiness

Whenever I use the word "happiness", I mean the kind of happiness that is not subject to aging, illness and death, not the cheerfulness and uppity feelings that come and go.

And if believing in God should have nothing to do with happiness, then I have no use nor do I want to believe in such a god.

You mean contentment. I think contentment is something you have to seek within yourself.

What is the point of believing in God if that doesn't make you happy?

From the Chinese book (sorry I forget what book), it says, the more you desire, the more the happiness runs away. Happiness is the state achieved by one who doesn't feel the need of, or more to say, desire it. A liberation.

Believing that God made everything, the prima causal, will free oneself from being disappointed when such results of any actions contrary to one wishes (in Islam, this is called qadha and qadar). Acceptance is the key.

If you consider God as the alternative road in your quest of happiness, then you will find neither God nor happiness, because the state of desiring will always be accompanying you, or you are not able to accept when you are in the condition of "God puts you in trouble".

I asked what is happiness and now you want to get into metaphysics.Anything, it seems, to avoid a straight answer.

Please don't be absurd.

Happiness is real to those who are happy. They are unlikely to harbour doubts about whether, for metaphysical reasons, they are truly happy.

And? What if I said this sort of happiness is not real for me? What evidence do I have of their happiness?

PS I understand your answer but not why you chose to define happiness in such a peculiar way.

I'm going to pick up my more extreme argument here again and say: because it's the only one that exists. Illustrate to me how you can be happy outside of your hormonal responses.

Back