What is pantheism?

Which religion?

Think of parables and fables. How many fables tell us the fox is cunning, the bear is courageous, the snake is evil? Aren't those human attributes?

Didn't the bible have a cunning serpent?

Well, the serpent was really the devil in disguise, was it not?

Also, I'm not even sure what we're arguing anymore...is it that science didn't believe animals had a level of intelligence? I mean, so what if that's true? Maybe science was too busy gloating that it finally got you religious types to understand that the sun doesn't revolve around the Earth. Ever think of THAT!? :D

Judeo-Christian belief systems do, and since Islam is a ripoff of Christianity...
But has certain practices that clearly deal with animals as conscious, experiencing subject. I also notice that you do not acknowledge that your generalization was wrong.

Many people? Bull.
You are not aware of how many so called pagan religions considered animals to have spirits, souls, consciousness, etc? Many 'regular' people considered it obvious and spoke about their pets and farm animals this way. I know, I remember how common this was, all over the West. Let alone all those in religions that do not fit your model.

Clear misunderstanding of science. And there is nothing wrong with seeing as complex machines. We're natural complex machines. With emotions and all that stuff.
It's a clear misunderstanding of science on my part AND there is nothing wrong with the fact that science sees things this way. Not sure what you are trying to say. It seems like I understand what science is trying to say. And I am well aware of how scientists see emotions, including those scientists who see them in mechanistic terms. I happen to think the view is limited. My disagreeing does not mean I misunderstand it.

Well, considering that Pantheism is nowhere near as large as the Judeo-Christian mythology's fanbase, I'd say I'm right on topic.
Are you really so invested in not admitting you are off here? If there was a thread discussing baseball, would you start making comments AS IF we were talking about football (soccer) since this is a more popular sport worldwide? Though if you add up the religions that do posit consciousness in animals the JudaoC. trad is outnumbered. Further the JC adherents are rarely pantheists, though some mystics are.

I think you are emotionally invested in being right and not admitting shit. I think you are being immature and you simply must win for whatever reasons you have psychologically.

I am putting you on ignore.

Last edited:
Well, the serpent was really the devil in disguise, was it not?

Also, I'm not even sure what we're arguing anymore...is it that science didn't believe animals had a level of intelligence? I mean, so what if that's true? Maybe science was too busy gloating that it finally got you religious types to understand that the sun doesn't revolve around the Earth. Ever think of THAT!? :D
Don't ask me what we're arguing, I just thought your post was interesting. I'm not a religious type, but I don't think blanket statements about religions calling animals soulless are accurate. Some animals are even considered holy (cows in Hinduism?)

But has certain practices that clearly deal with animals as conscious, experiencing subject. I also notice that you do not acknowledge that your generalization was wrong.

But how doesn't science view them the same way? I'm not sure how science views animals as any less conscious than us...So no, my generalization was not wrong. Yours seems to be, however.

You are not aware of how many so called pagan religions considered animals to have spirits, souls, consciousness, etc? Many 'regular' people considered it obvious and spoke about their pets and farm animals this way. I know, I remember how common this was, all over the West. Let alone all those in religions that do not fit your model.

I'm still failing to see where science doesn't consider animals as conscious.

It's a clear misunderstanding of science on my part AND there is nothing wrong with the fact that science sees things this way. Not sure what you are trying to say. It seems like I understand what science is trying to say. And I am well aware of how scientists see emotions, including those scientists who see them in mechanistic terms. I happen to think the view is limited. My disagreeing does not mean I misunderstand it.

Because like every religious person, you demand science tells you about more than just the material. Stop expecting science to say that we're all wonderful beings with purpose and destiny. It can't do that, because science isn't about that.

I think you are emotionally invested in being right and not admitting shit. I think you are being immature and you simply must win for whatever reasons you have psychologically.

Get fucked, dipshit. A week ago you were thanking me for admitting when I was wrong. Stop taking this shit so seriously, you religious drone.

Going back to the original question:

These two quotes are taken from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy which can be found at

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/pantheism/

Pantheism is a metaphysical and religious position. Broadly defined it is the view that (1) "God is everything and everything is God … the world is either identical with God or in some way a self-expression of his nature" (Owen 1971: 74). Similarly, it is the view that (2) everything that exists constitutes a "unity" and this all-inclusive unity is in some sense divine (MacIntyre 1967: 34). A slightly more specific definition is given by Owen (1971: 65) who says (3) "‘Pantheism’ … signifies the belief that every existing entity is, only one Being; and that all other forms of reality are either modes (or appearances) of it or identical with it." Even with these definitions there is dispute as to just how pantheism is to be understood and who is and is not a pantheist. Aside from Spinoza, other possible pantheists include some of the Presocratics; Plato; Lao Tzu; Plotinus; Schelling; Hegel; Bruno, Eriugena and Tillich. Possible pantheists among literary figures include Emerson, Walt Whitman, D.H. Lawrence, and Robinson Jeffers. Beethoven (Crabbe 1982) and Martha Graham (Kisselgoff 1987) have also been thought to be pantheistic in some of their work — if not pantheists.

There are probably more (grass-root) pantheists than Protestants, or theists in general, and pantheism continues to be the traditional religious alternative to theism for those who reject the classical theistic notion of God. Not only is pantheism not antithetical to religion, but certain religions are better understood as pantheistic rather than theistic when their doctrines are examined. Philosophical Taoism is the most pantheistic, but Advaita Vedanta, certain forms of Buddhism and some mystical strands in monotheistic traditions are also pantheistic. But even apart from any religious tradition many people profess pantheistic beliefs — though somewhat obscurely. Pantheism remains a much neglected topic of inquiry. Given their prevalence, non-theistic notions of deity have not received the kind of careful philosophical attention they deserve. Certainly the central claims of pantheism are prima facie no more "fantastic" than the central claims of theism — and probably a great deal less so.

You can, even, be a patheist atheist, but here ideas of reverence and belonging would like be described in different terms and perhaps would be experienced differently.

But those who are pantheistic, in my opinion, are those who are too afraid to fully abandon ship. They don't buy the tradition God, but they fear repercussion in the afterlife, so they go with the whole "I'm Spiritual" nonsense.

But I'll give them this...I prefer a non-theistic pantheism (oxymoron?) to the traditional Abrahamic religions, because at least I can scoff at pantheism and not have to be concerned with going to hell afterward! :D

I'm kind of pantheistic. Except I don't believe there are any external deities, only externalisations.
We are (our own) deities, you see.

As for "after life", I dunno, what about "before death"? That's "life" right? "After" death, or "after" life kind of comes out meaningless.

You had a "before life" though. Not in the reincarnation of someone sense, I mean in the normal, biological sense.
You're here because of a single, unbroken genetic line that goes back through all the generations, all the individual humans that needed to live to get to you.

It goes back all the way to our predecessors, and theirs, all the way back past the mammals, the fish, right back to the first organisms that could pass on their characteristics. Right back to the very first form of life billions of years ago.

It may as well have been the time it took for the gametes that turned into you to fuse.

If you don't pass on your "self" in the only way we animals can do so, by reproducing, the whole thing will have been a biological fizzer, as far as evolution is concerned. But that is the only option available for any form of "after death or after life". You, only get before life, then before death.

Last edited:
I've always wondered about that. People who are totally afraid of an afterlife where there is just nothingness...well, there was a long time before you existed...was that scary? No, of course not.

There may very well be some sort of consciousness we all enter when we are not alive in this forum, maybe it's not something we could fathom in this form, I don't know. I would be happy just knowing that my line has survived in my son or daughter.

That was a Freudian there with "forum", right?

You simply cannot conceive of your non-existence.
An awareness is so because of being "alive". The absence of life, is then also the absence of awareness, you'd think.
(I don't know where I get this stuff from)

Last edited:
I'm kind of pantheistic. Except I don't believe there are any external deities, only externalisations.
We are (our own) deities, you see.
Well it wouldnät be an external deity. It is an immanent one which you are a part of. Though their seem to be other versions of pantheism where there is no deity, but a universe that is divine. And then you have to spend some time defining that term.

You had a "before life" though. Not in the reincarnation of someone sense, I mean in the normal, biological sense.
I donät know if that counts as a 'you'.

If you don't pass on your "self" in the only way we animals can do so, by reproducing, the whole thing will have been a biological fizzer, as far as evolution is concerned. But that is the only option available for any form of "after death or after life". You, only get before life, then before death.
I think that is compatible with some forms of pantheism.

That was a Freudian there with "forum", right?

You simply cannot conceive of your non-existence.
An awareness is so because of being "alive". The absence of life, is then also the absence of awareness, you'd think.
(I don't know where I get this stuff from)
I think one can conceive one's nonexistence but it is not easy to do and the brain (or the soul or whatever) tends to shunt away from such thoughts. I think it is different from conceiving one's death, or not necessarily included in that experience.
Absence of life seems to pretty clearly include absence of awareness.

Simon,
If I can take you back a page or two in this thread....
"For me it is quite the opposite."
You say you see life everywhere (correct me if I am wrong). How would you describe the "life" in a rock? I ask because I have heard claims like this before (it is typically associated with new-age type spirituality). However, I have never really gotten the details, and as always the devil is in the details. So, describe the life in a rock. (I am not being facetious here, if you are wondering)

I think one can conceive one's nonexistence but it is not easy to do and the brain (or the soul or whatever) tends to shunt away from such thoughts. I think it is different from conceiving one's death, or not necessarily included in that experience.
Absence of life seems to pretty clearly include absence of awareness.

That was my point. What's to be afraid of? Death is probably just like pre-life. You aren't aware of it, so there's nothing to fear.

Simon,
If I can take you back a page or two in this thread....
"For me it is quite the opposite."
You say you see life everywhere (correct me if I am wrong). How would you describe the "life" in a rock? I ask because I have heard claims like this before (it is typically associated with new-age type spirituality). However, I have never really gotten the details, and as always the devil is in the details. So, describe the life in a rock. (I am not being facetious here, if you are wondering)
To answer a non-facetious question like this can still be pretty problematic. I want to make it clear that in answering I am not trying to convince. I do not think there is anything I could say that could (or should) convince someone who does not experience things the way I do. I need to make that very clear. There are people here, and elsewhere, who take descriptions of experience and someone's sense of things as something like the missionary practices of Christians or even the Inquisition. You know what I mean. If I say I believe this or that, then some people will take that as 'and you should believe it too' bringing their bagage from interactions with monotheists, especially Christians. As a kind of a pantheist/animist/pagan, my experience of and knowledge about monotheists leads me to be rather cranky with them also, so I have sympathy for this reaction, but it should be pretty clear to everyone that, for example, pantheist/animist/pagan groups have suffered rather badly at the hands of both monotheists and secular regimes.

Yes, I do experience life in rocks. You could call it a feeling of presence, that is specific, or individual. If you take away the verbal communication from your relationship with someone you know well, for example. In other words the discrete language based stream of information, one still can get a very specific feeling of the other person. A vibe. Whatever. I get that from animals, plants and other natural places and things. I experience the same underlying life and varying attitudes.

I realize this is vague, but then if you think of someone you love and their vibe/essential presence, this also would be hard to put into words. So to take seriously your non-facetious question I gave a non-facetious answer. It is, again, not meant to convince you.

To answer a non-facetious question like this can still be pretty problematic. I want to make it clear that in answering I am not trying to convince. I do not think there is anything I could say that could (or should) convince someone who does not experience things the way I do. I need to make that very clear. There are people here, and elsewhere, who take descriptions of experience and someone's sense of things as something like the missionary practices of Christians or even the Inquisition. You know what I mean. If I say I believe this or that, then some people will take that as 'and you should believe it too' bringing their bagage from interactions with monotheists, especially Christians. As a kind of a pantheist/animist/pagan, my experience of and knowledge about monotheists leads me to be rather cranky with them also, so I have sympathy for this reaction, but it should be pretty clear to everyone that, for example, pantheist/animist/pagan groups have suffered rather badly at the hands of both monotheists and secular regimes.

Yes, I do experience life in rocks. You could call it a feeling of presence, that is specific, or individual. If you take away the verbal communication from your relationship with someone you know well, for example. In other words the discrete language based stream of information, one still can get a very specific feeling of the other person. A vibe. Whatever. I get that from animals, plants and other natural places and things. I experience the same underlying life and varying attitudes.

I realize this is vague, but then if you think of someone you love and their vibe/essential presence, this also would be hard to put into words. So to take seriously your non-facetious question I gave a non-facetious answer. It is, again, not meant to convince you.

Simon, how do you define 'life' ?

I should have added that I am not always taking this or that as an individual. (But everything seems to be alive, especially in nature - though even certain 'human-made things have this quality to me, those that haven't had their life compressed into almost nothing.) Part of a living body, you could say.

Back