what is deja vu exactly?

Such wondrous speculation! :D Too bad there's not a grain of truth in any of it.

You people should really study physiology and psychology - but then you'd figure it's no fun because you'd actually know the answers. I realize that most of you are probably like Yorda in one respect - too young to have reached that level of study. But thankfully you're probably NOT like him in another. He's one of the few people I've seen who actually enjoys knowing nothing so that he can dream up all kinds of ridiculous answers.

There's no parapsychology involved, no "previous life" experiences to draw on, and no, everything has NOT happened before (silly Yorda again). The real answer is quite simple and it's also very obvious.

Let's consider the functions of the brain, a few, anyway. At it's lowest base level, the primary function is to keep the body alive by regulating what we call the autonomous actions. Things like respiration, heartbeat, hormonal secretions, etc.

The second level involves acquiring information external to itself through the sensory organs.

Third is processing that information, and that's precisely where the effect takes place. The most basic tool it uses in processing is recognition. That's how an infant learns to know it's mother. And that's how you find your way back home from the pizza place.

The problem occurs, and creates the deja vu effect, when it senses something that it only THINKS it recognizes. What it's experiencing is similar enough to a previous experience that it feels it's done/seen precisely the same thing at an earlier point in time - when it actually has not. It's just very close, that's all, and the brain becomes fooled by it.

So in a brief nutshell, that's really all there is to the whole thing.

If it was possible to create a parallel universe, then Deja Vu would be understood as a brief realisation of a Universal Constant. I'm sure that those of you that have had an instance of Deja Vu will notice that you have a strange sensation or feeling at it's instance, sometimes even a feeling like butterfly's.

In the explaination of parallel universes this is suggested to be your body/mind/perception changing slightly from your Universal Constant at the realisation of the Constant existing, of course the feeling subsides as the Multiverse deals with the paradox through entropy.

In fact the definition suggests that while "Parallels" are only Hypothetical, we do not have the true capacity for Freewill or choice over our own destiny because we follow a predetermined universal plan which only at the occurance of a paradox has to be redrawn. It's also suggested that the redrawing of the universal plan is actually interconnected with the very beginning of the universe, so that the universe may grow and adapt to deal with such paradoxes as they occur.

Stryder said:
If it was possible to create a parallel universe, then Deja Vu would be understood as a brief realisation of a Universal Constant. I'm sure that those of you that have had an instance of Deja Vu will notice that you have a strange sensation or feeling at it's instance, sometimes even a feeling like butterfly's.

In the explaination of parallel universes this is suggested to be your body/mind/perception changing slightly from your Universal Constant at the realisation of the Constant existing, of course the feeling subsides as the Multiverse deals with the paradox through entropy.

In fact the definition suggests that while "Parallels" are only Hypothetical, we do not have the true capacity for Freewill or choice over our own destiny because we follow a predetermined universal plan which only at the occurance of a paradox has to be redrawn. It's also suggested that the redrawing of the universal plan is actually interconnected with the very beginning of the universe, so that the universe may grow and adapt to deal with such paradoxes as they occur.

Sorry, that's pretty much pure poppycock. Are you familiar with Occam's razor? There's simply no need to look for, or invent, farfetched complexities to explain something when the answer is already right at hand.

Yes, of course. It is very easy to form these unproven theories about deja vu. Just ignore the stories of people who travel to places they have never been before and find out that they already know the places. Just shuffle the facts a little so that you think the experience is of a place that "just resembles" the place in question. If you can't integrate the facts, just shove them aside. Then you can deny that there is anything "paranormal" about deja vu, because you've slotted all the evidence and now can ignore it. Then of course the answer is right at hand. What is the answer again? Oh yes, an unproven theory that does not take into account the fact that people occasionally stumble upon a place that they have never visited but are already familiar with.

Science is not just making facts go away.

I've said this before and I'll say it again... life moves pretty fast and if you don't stop and look around once in a while... OH NO sorry, that's a line from an old song I used to listen to.

Deja Vu is the experience of the brain recognising a 'feeling' that it has experienced before. The 'feeling' could be triggered by anything; it might be a sound, or the quality of light, or a smell... anything. The last time I experienced Deja Vu, it was caused by a combination of an overcast sky, a breeze and a certain ambient temperature and even though I was at a house in Cyprus, I got an overwhelming feeling of being somewhere in London a long time ago.

The problem occurs, and creates the deja vu effect, when it senses something that it only THINKS it recognizes. What it's experiencing is similar enough to a previous experience that it feels it's done/seen precisely the same thing at an earlier point in time - when it actually has not. It's just very close, that's all, and the brain becomes fooled by it.

Sorry light I don't follow you here, the statement appears you are saying the same thing and not giving us an answer. What are you traying to say? Obviously I know dejavu is when you experience something you think you have experienced before but why do we think so is why we started the thread. In my opinion when the brain resets itself it also does so to the part that's responsible for memory. Because of this fluctuation we immidiately think(not the brain) we are in a re-experience, which is a psychological effect. You don't actually expect the brain to work 24 hrs non stop all your life do you? Its just a refreshing sensation is all

Last edited:
MetaKron said:
Yes, of course. It is very easy to form these unproven theories about deja vu. Just ignore the stories of people who travel to places they have never been before and find out that they already know the places. Just shuffle the facts a little so that you think the experience is of a place that "just resembles" the place in question. If you can't integrate the facts, just shove them aside. Then you can deny that there is anything "paranormal" about deja vu, because you've slotted all the evidence and now can ignore it. Then of course the answer is right at hand. What is the answer again? Oh yes, an unproven theory that does not take into account the fact that people occasionally stumble upon a place that they have never visited but are already familiar with.

Science is not just making facts go away.

Facts? What facts? There aren't any! For something to be be considered fact requires proof. And all you have is someone's word on it. You're simply dealing in wishful thinking. Facts indeed!!!

tablariddim said:
I've said this before and I'll say it again... life moves pretty fast and if you don't stop and look around once in a while... OH NO sorry, that's a line from an old song I used to listen to.

Deja Vu is the experience of the brain recognising a 'feeling' that it has experienced before. The 'feeling' could be triggered by anything; it might be a sound, or the quality of light, or a smell... anything. The last time I experienced Deja Vu, it was caused by a combination of an overcast sky, a breeze and a certain ambient temperature and even though I was at a house in Cyprus, I got an overwhelming feeling of being somewhere in London a long time ago.

Precisely, and very well said. The brain is just tricking itself with faulty pattern recognition. :)

Furthermore when this fluctuation occurs the memory's internal clock may be delayed a few seconds, which is what causes the refreshing sensaton the frenchies call dejavu.

Chatha said:
Sorry light I don't follow you here, the statement appears you are saying the same thing and not giving us an answer. What are you traying to say?

I'm sorry too, Chatha, I don't understand what it is you're missing.

The brain is simply tricking itself into THINKING it recognizes the stimuli. It's because it's seen/experienced something very similar before - but actually not THIS experience.

To explain more fully, it's a matter of intensity. For example, I'm sure that at sometime you've met someone that you feel you should know (but don't) because they strongly remind you of someone you DO already know. If the person's appearance, manners, etc. are enough like the one you DO actually know, that can trigger a mild form of deja vu. *However*, that does not have the intensity of the full effect of a true deja vu experience when the brain is actually fooled and CONVINCES itself that this is a repeat from something in your past.

Does that help?

Chatha said:
Furthermore when this fluctuation occurs the memory's internal clock may be delayed a few seconds, which is what causes the refreshing sensaton the frenchies call dejavu.

Actually, that was thought to be true at one time, but no more. The idea was discarded several years ago in favor of what I've been trying to get across.

The brain is simply tricking itself into THINKING it recognizes the stimuli. It's because it's seen/experienced something very similar before - but actually not THIS experience.

Okay I assume this is a deffect of the brain and not a normal characteristic. You speak as though the brain has a mind of its own. The brain works simultenously in synchronicity with the human body. Hence it is you who thinks you have seen the pattern before not the brain. The brain is pretty much you anyway, it houses many valuable conpartment including the one responsible for your identity. The brain is an interpreter, an interface for whats outside the mind, i.e the enviroment. You see here that you haven't explained anything to us about dejavu. Hence I refuse to believe it has nothing to do with a rearrangement of data. Just like a computer, at some point in the CPUS's lifespan you will have to defrag the disk if you want to keep on working at an optimal level. This rearrangement or reseting of data is necessary because without it for too long you wouldn't be able to recognize patterns in the first place, much less have re-experiences. As you sit down typing on your PC your brain is constantly receiving data and simultenously arranging them in their proper places. Sometimes for optimal performance it reboots itself I think as a precautionary initiative, just in the way that you still have to turn off your PC at some point even if you defrag everyday. Any quetions? What you are saying is during this arrangements it makes an error and this is what you call dejavu, you are right in one way but I have only expalined it further. But ever heard of gabage in garbage out?

Last edited:
Chatha said:
Okay I assume this is a deffect of the brain and not a normal characteristic. You speak as though the brain has a mind of its own. The brain works simultenously in synchronicity with the human body. Hence it is you who thinks you have seen the pattern before not the brain. The brain is pretty much you anyway, it houses many valuable conpartment including the one responsible for your identity. The brain is an interpreter, an interface for whats outside the mind, i.e the enviroment. You see here that you haven't explained anything to us about dejavu. Hence I refuse to believe it has nothing to do with a rearrangement of data. Just like a computer, at some point in the CPUS's lifespan you will have to defrag the disk if you want to keep on working at an optimal level. This rearrangement or reseting of data is necessary because without it for too long you wouldn't be able to recognize patterns in the first place, much less have re-experiences. As you sit down typing on your PC your brain is constantly receiving data and simultenously arranging them in their proper places. Sometimes for optimal performance it reboots itself I think as a precautionary initiative, just in the way that you still have to turn off your PC at some point even if you defrag everyday. Any quetions? What you are saying is during this arrangements it makes an error and this is what you call dejavu, you might be right. And there may be many types of dejavu. But ever heard of gabage in garbage out?

It isn't worth all that effort you've just made to separate the mind and the brain. And you are making FAR too much of the brain/physical computer analogy! The similarities do not extend to THAT extent. For one thing, the brain does NOT "reboot."

I'm afraid that you're just trying to make far too much of a very simple thing. Back off a bit, reread my original post in this thread and then rethink what's really going on, OK? It's actually just as simple as I've explained it.

Light said:
Facts? What facts? There aren't any! For something to be be considered fact requires proof. And all you have is someone's word on it. You're simply dealing in wishful thinking. Facts indeed!!!

That's exactly what I am talking about. You are such a caricature.

For one thing, the brain does NOT "reboot

I think you are the one mistaken. I tried to use the analogy to help you understand. Your explanation is tauntolous if you read them between the lines. Anyway I think the brain does reboot, put your thinking caps on.What then do you call sleep? Is it not also a form of rebootion. According to you the brain never needs to rest. The brain is mostly muscle, and like the human body, which its a part of it rests as well. Another evidence of my thesis. Have you ever noticed during a dejavu that you can't remember anything else for that moment. Lets agree to disagree

Last edited:
Chatha said:
I think you are the one mistaken. I tried to use the analogy to help you understand. Your explanation is tauntolous if you read them between the lines. Anyway I think the brain does reboot, put your thinking caps on.What then do you call sleep? Is it not also a form of rebootion. According to you the brain never needs to rest. The brain is mostly muscle, and like the human body, which its a part of it rests as well. Another evidence of my thesis. Have you ever noticed during a dejavu that you can't remember anything else for that moment. Lets agree to disagree

Sorry, but I'm not the one that's mistaken. You should take the advice I offered in my first post "You people should really study physiology and psychology" because it seems you know almost nothing about either, sorry. For one thing, the brain is most certainly NOT muscle!!! I can't possibly imagine how you came up with that one. :(

The brain certainly does need rest and that's exactly what sleep provides. But I repeat - it NEVER "reboots" as you call it.

Yes, I'll agree to disagree but I'll also say that you need to do some SERIOUS study because your understanding of the human mind and brain functions is greatly lacking.

Light said:
Sorry, but I'm not the one that's mistaken. You should take the advice I offered in my first post "You people should really study physiology and psychology" because it seems you know almost nothing about either, sorry. For one thing, the brain is most certainly NOT muscle!!! I can't possibly imagine how you came up with that one. :(

The brain certainly does need rest and that's exactly what sleep provides. But I repeat - it NEVER "reboots" as you call it.

Yes, I'll agree to disagree but I'll also say that you need to do some SERIOUS study because your understanding of the human mind and brain functions is greatly lacking.

Okay lets agree I am wrong. Give us the answer to dejavu in one sentence.

Back