What God Is.

TheERK: The idea of the trinity has been around far longer than the knowledge that the electro-magnetic force is a one of the fundamental forces. Also, light is not a force.
M*W: I'm not sure if this is the post you wanted me to answer, but here goes: In my using the trinity in analogy, I should have used a different choice of words. I did not mean to imply that THE 'Trinity' was based on the idea of an electromagnetic force field which I stated metaphorically. The idea I was attempting to point to was the similiarity between the components of electromagnetic energy and to the components of the Trinity. I did not intend to mean that one arose from the other.
TheERK: Electricity in no way fits what God is meant to describe. Electricity is electricity. God is a thing that, at the minimum, should probably do one of the following:

-Create the universe
-Permeate the entire universe

Electricity has neither of these properties.
M*W: Let's leave 'God' out of this equation. The sun was created during the 'Big Bang.' The sun melted the ice caps and formed oceans. Weather was created from the contrasting elements. Electrical storms created earth changes. Then plant and animal life formed in the waters. So, IMHO, a supernatural God didn't create the universe, the 'Big Bang' created the universe. All living creation has electrical impulses. Therefore, electricity permeates the entire universe, hence my suggestion that God is electricity. I am just making an attempt to redefine God in a more practical and natural way for those who have not yet realized that there is simply no god.

Yeah - I quite understand. I was *very much* a victim of Xtianity for many years myself. Still ordained in fact. I would fight with my life for the right to people to beLIEve any silly thing they want. But I would also fight with my life for the right to be FREE from any of those beLIEfs being pushed upon us - so that it effects our national policy, how my tax dollars are spent, the laws that are enforced upon us, and more . . .

And I'm afraid that fight is looking like is becoming inescapable.

everneo: what do you think about batteries? eggs of god?
M*W: There were a number of strange clay pots at the National Museum of Iraq, but who knows if they're still on display now? Some of these pots have been dated to be more than 2,300 years old. They are believed to be from the Parthian culture who ruled in the Middle East at that time. In top opening of the pot a copper cylinder could be seen. In this open copper cyninder was an iron rod that was totally enclosed and sealed with lead. The archeologists that studied this object back in 1938 concluded that this pot was a battery that onlly required an acidic liquid like vinegar to make it work. This pot produced electricity. It's known as the Baghdad Battery. An exact replica of the Baghdad Battery was made sometime after WWII, but they used orange juice to make it work, so electricity has been around, I believe, since the beginning of creation. So, batteries have been around long before the Eveready Bunny. The ancient people who made these pots found that when they connected two of these pots, they could shock the hell out of someone. Of course, they believed that 'god' had struck them dead! They also discovered that connecting these two pots could electroplate with silver and gold. Ingeniously, modern man would go on to create jumper cables. The rest is history.

Everneo, I've never heard of 'eggs of god'. What are they? Or are they just 'over easy?'

Now, I have a question for you. Assuming Jesus was hanging on the cross, why do you think that someone tried to give him a drink of 'vinegar' on a sponge? I think it was some kind of code word suggesting Jesus needed to be 'recharged.'

Medicine Woman said:

There were a number of strange clay pots at the National Museum of Iraq, but who knows if they're still on display now?

I've read in a magazine I don't think I have anymore that "battery" pots were found in Central or South America, as well. I'll look around for a link.

In the meantime, where God resides in electricity may not be the entirety of God, but a clear hint. For me, I have little problem with the idea that God is electricity because I am of the belief that people invent their gods, hence God is an electrochemical phenomenon in the brain.

But what makes that electrochemcial phenomenon God? As opposed to any other?

And that unique condition within humanity is where God resides in electricity. Or, at least, so says me.

Medicine Woman said:
Everneo, I've never heard of 'eggs of god'. What are they? Or are they just 'over easy?'
I too never heard the 'eggs of god'. Just a question, since batteries can produce 'god' , would you like to call them eggs of god. I never thought you would bring in baghdad batteries in to the picture!
Now, I have a question for you. Assuming Jesus was hanging on the cross, why do you think that someone tried to give him a drink of 'vinegar' on a sponge? I think it was some kind of code word suggesting Jesus needed to be 'recharged.'
Giving vinegar instead of water for thirst could be a pervert insulting habbit on the part of Jesus's tormentors.

tiassa: I've read in a magazine I don't think I have anymore that "battery" pots were found in Central or South America, as well. I'll look around for a link.
M*W: I believe they have been found in several location worldwide.
tiassa: In the meantime, where God resides in electricity may not be the entirety of God, but a clear hint.
M*W: I agree. There is no true mystical transubstantiation of electricity to God! I used the idea that what the early peoples thought was God was just electricity.
tiassa: For me, I have little problem with the idea that God is electricity because I am of the belief that people invent their gods, hence God is an electrochemical phenomenon in the brain.
M*W: Yes, people do/did invent concepts of god(s), and I believe you are right that it is, in fact, an electrochemical phenomenon in the brain.
tiassa: But what makes that electrochemcial phenomenon God? As opposed to any other?
M*W: I guess when the earliest people became aware of their surroundings in relation to themselves and their inability to 'control' or somehow change their environment (i.e. protection from thunderstorms and lightning, etc.), they felt the need to be 'protected'. I guess it's survival instinct that kicks in causing a chemical reaction in the brain.
tiassa: And that unique condition within humanity is where God resides in electricity. Or, at least, so says me.
M*W: Where would we be without it?

fahrenheit 451 said:
halcyon your to religious, you MUST see a god as more than electricity.

Does it matter whether he is religious or not? He was simply making an observation about a certain non-sequiter posts.

the trinity was written by man, a few thousend years ago.
where as the power of lighting and fire etc have been known for as long as there has been life on this planet( these are forces).

I quote M*W (which she has already cleared up, but here is the original quote): you would like a reply, other then the ones, you recieved already.
"The idea of the trinity came from the three natural forces of light, electricity and magnetism."

I replied to this saying that there's no evidence to suggest this--and plenty to the contrary. I can guarentee you that people back then did not view electricity and magnetism as fundamental forces, so to say the trinity was based off these is an untenable claim!

if existing made up of electrical impulses, and as he does'nt exist, then he is only an electical impulse in your brain.

I'm sure this isn't what was intended by the opening post. If it was, it would only need to consist of "God is electricity, because God is just a thought, and thoughts are made of electricity."

of course a big bang caused by electrical impulses.
so as I see it you replies( yes Seriously) have been correct, I am an atheist.
so dont see your god as you do, therefore we should agree to disagree.

First of all, there's nothing to suggest that the big bang was caused by electrical impulses.

Also, don't assume I see God in a certain way. That has nothing to do with this discussion.

Medicine Woman said:
I'm not sure if this is the post you wanted me to answer,

Yes, thank you.

...but here goes: In my using the trinity in analogy, I should have used a different choice of words. I did not mean to imply that THE 'Trinity' was based on the idea of an electromagnetic force field which I stated metaphorically. The idea I was attempting to point to was the similiarity between the components of electromagnetic energy and to the components of the Trinity. I did not intend to mean that one arose from the other.

Ok, that does clear it up a little bit. However, I still don't agree that they are at all similar. First of all, it is generally agreed that their are *four* fundamental forces--electromagnetic, gravitational, and the strong and weak nuclear forces. Even if there were three, how could you tie these into 'God', 'son', and holy ghost/spirit?

Let's leave 'God' out of this equation. The sun was created during the 'Big Bang.' The sun melted the ice caps and formed oceans. Weather was created from the contrasting elements. Electrical storms created earth changes. Then plant and animal life formed in the waters. So, IMHO, a supernatural God didn't create the universe, the 'Big Bang' created the universe. All living creation has electrical impulses. Therefore, electricity permeates the entire universe, hence my suggestion that God is electricity. I am just making an attempt to redefine God in a more practical and natural way for those who have not yet realized that there is simply no god.

First of all, I can't leave 'God' out of the equation because that's what this thread is about--you chose to title it that way. I agree with those views on the evolution of the universe, of course, but since life does not permeate the universe, neither does electricity. That's why I said that much of the universe is quite 'dark'.

Although it is comforting to redefine God as something you know exists, if you think about it, it really serves no purpose except to confuse. The point of words is communication--to assign a new definition to word will only confuse those who disagree with it. We already have a word for electricity!

M*W: My thoughts go back to the Ark of the Covenant when it was being carried around by Moses and the Israelites. No one could get near it because it would strike them dead. The light was too bright to look at directly. Nowhere does it say in the bible that it was a battery or generator, because they didn't call it that at the time. This contraption turned gold into a white powder, and I'm wondering if perhaps that wasn't the 'manna' they ate in the desert? I think I've read where this battery was around during the time of Melchizedek which was about 600 years before Moses' time. Melchizedek was a godly man during the time of Abraham. Somewhere in the bible it's mentioned that Melchizedek gave Abraham bread (made from the white powder) and wine (the acidic vinegar used to conduct the electrical charge) made from this battery. This would have been the earliest account of a bread and wine ritual. I don't know the chapter/verse.

Side Note: I just recalled that at the Wedding in Cana, the wine jugs were empty, and Mary asked Jesus to bring more wine, etc. I'm thinking that this may be some kind of code and really wasn't about 'wine' but about the acid used in these old battery pots! Just a thought!

There's a lot of new interpretations to think about!

M*W,

You seem so skeptical of Christianity, but for some reason it seems you think most the events in the Bible still took place--albeit with natural explanations. If the Bible is not divinely inspired, there's really no reason to think that all of those things actually happened. No 'interpretation' of bizarre events is necessary--more likely, they're just (possibly distorted) fables and myths.

TheERK: M*W,

You seem so skeptical of Christianity, but for some reason it seems you think most the events in the Bible still took place--albeit with natural explanations.
M*W: Skeptical is an understatement. I adamantly believe the religion of Christiantity is a lie. No, I don't believe the bible is divinely inspired nor did all the events in the bible take place. I believe the NT, and maybe even the OT, was written in codes words where, if translated, would mean something entirely different than the way the bible has been interpreted. For example, I don't believe in the crucifixion or the resurrection.
TheERK: If the Bible is not divinely inspired, there's really no reason to think that all of those things actually happened. No 'interpretation' of bizarre events is necessary--more likely, they're just (possibly distorted) fables and myths.
M*W: Yes, I agree that there were possibly distortions of possibly real events. I tend to think the Rabbi Jesus was real, but the dying demigod savior myth surrounding him is not. No one really knows what Jesus may have actually said. I haven't read the Gospel of Mary Magdalene, yet, but I even question the reality of everything written in the NT. It's pretty obvious to me that the whole bible is just one big astrology book.

I have come to realize that there is no higher power that created the universe. At best, it was a random act of randomness.

If everything in the universe is just a mere random act of randomness which spans billions of years, that's some pretty damned good luck. Billions of years of all these perfect creations being added onto the universe yet not once in those billions of years has bad luck happened which totally destroys the universe.

If I were to explain 'god', I would say that 'god' is a misnomer. It's just a derivation of the early English word 'good.' Our universe is 'good', but it's not God!

Well, as you mentioned in another thead saying how "Son of God" came from the word "Sun" and whatever else was said (I forget the rest at the moment), the same applies to God/good. God may be a derivation of the early English word "good", but as I mentioned before with "sun", early English wasn't the original language so how does that account for the meaning of "God" for other civilizations which came much before English people did? You keep stretching too far in trying to connect things.

the 'Big Bang' created the universe

The Big Bang isn't the cause, it's the effect. When I light and set off a firecracker, it goes boom, but where did all of what made up that firecracker come from?

M*W: I agree. There is no true mystical transubstantiation of electricity to God! I used the idea that what the early peoples thought was God was just electricity.

Well people of the past didn't have much of an understanding of electricty (even if including ancient batteries) so they wouldn't be able to link electricty to God. Did they know that electricty powers our body and various other things? That's taking current knowledge and assuming people of the past knew what we knew, otherwise they wouldn't be able to link God with electricity.

M*W: My thoughts go back to the Ark of the Covenant when it was being carried around by Moses and the Israelites. No one could get near it because it would strike them dead.

It could be that people thought the Ark of the Covenant was God, but the more important question is, who told the people to make the Ark? Where did those instructions come from? And what purpose did that Ark serve? I doubt it was created all just to be a "fool em" device even though people did think the power of God was in that Ark. God gave the instructions to build that Ark, but who was that God? If it was just a regular person wanting to create a "fool em" device and saying God told them to build the device, that means it was all a hoax but still, that's a helluva lot of power in that Ark to kill people on site. That would take up so much room to create that much voltage through primitive means of wine and other metals to make more natural batteries unless there was much better technology to somehow condense all of that to fit inside the Ark.

Back in my MacGuyver days, I've tried to power my TV linking potatoe/lemon batteries and a bit more powerful homemade batteries taping stacked metals together and I just couldn't keep it all together since it took up so much room to provide that much power so I couldn't do it. I could power devices that required less power, but I couldn't provide enough to power my big screen TV. And even assuming it would work, how would that all fit inside an Ark? That'd require some careful condensing and regardless of that, it's still not enough power to come close to striking someone dead.

- N

to The Preacher: I have seen God's face and heard his voice first hand. After that there is no need of proof. Conviction like that is beyond normal human comprehention. I cannot begin to describe what it was like.

And many people agree that entities have intellecuall though before birth due to hertity. I may have gained my parents knowledge. Its mostly theory, but you want it to be proven. Even if I did it would deminer the meaning of its existance. That is one of the reasons God tells us to put faith in what we cannot understand in him. He also commands us to fear him, to know what he can do. With my faith and fear i would not turn away after seeing his face and hearing his voice.

no camphips, you hulucinated, and believed you saw a god, but to have a fear of something you hulucinated, I feel so terribly sorry for you.

you will see mis-t-highs, we will ALL know the truth in the end. I could argue, but it would be pointless. You didnt see what i saw...you dont have any major reason to believe. Dont feel sorry for me...lack of faith just deminers your intellectual charisma..aint gonna affect me at all.

camp:who else saw, what you saw, at the same time, in the same room, think about it.
I have faith in humanity, not a non-existent sky daddy.
camp said:
aint gonna affect me at all.
but it has your in fear of it's wrath.
oh this is so so sad.

I have seen God's face and heard his voice first hand. After that there is no need of proof. Conviction like that is beyond normal human comprehention. I cannot begin to describe what it was like.

I also once just KNEW that God existed and had "shown me he exists'' -- I had felt it and NOBODY could convince me it wasn't true. So I've been there. But since then have had other similar experiences emotionally/physically that contradicted that one. They are what are called ''peak experiences'' -- and when you have one and feel a certain deity/power is what was shown to you, there is no convincing you it wasn't real . . . but trust me, its not. Peak experiences can happen to people of any religion, and no religion, they can happen from physical/mental/drug/stress/happiness/sex/meditation and other influences.

And the carrot and stick crap? (Heaven/Hell)? I'm not worried about it. I treat other people well, because it makes me feel good. If a ''god'' were to want me tortured for eternity because I didn't jump through some specific hoops, even though I'm loving to other - then thats not a god worthy of worship. Such a jealous, vain and brutal god seems pretty unlikely. And in a world where children get tortured, raped and killed . . . a loving all-powerful god seems pretty unlikely too. Its simply pretty unlikely that religion is anything but: mans attempt to escape the fear of death, to explain the universe around them, and to control other mens actions.

Neildo said:
If everything in the universe is just a mere random act of randomness which spans billions of years, that's some pretty damned good luck. Billions of years of all these perfect creations being added onto the universe yet not once in those billions of years has bad luck happened which totally destroys the universe.

You should at least read up on the anthropic principle--even if you disagree with it, you would know that this response is useless. First of all, what are these 'perfect creations' you speak of? Hopefully not humans--we're riddled with so many flaws that calling us perfect would required serious redefinition of the word 'perfect.'

Second, this 'bad luck' that destroys the universe probably has happened many, many, many, many, times--but the universes which didn't survive for a billion years (or a nanosecond, more like) didn't have sufficient time for evolution. A universe that survives for a few billion years will most likely survive for many billion years--that's the case with us.

We can only call ourselves 'lucky' because we're part of the 'attempt' that didn't fail (this particular, relatively stable universe). But to consider this lucky is ridiculous; it absoltely had to happen at some point, given enough universe-tries.

Mis T highs: Thats your choice. I cant make it for you...whatever floats your boat.

Gravity: Yeah i find it strange how a diety could exist like that. But after consideration id rather have him then nothing at all, whether he truely exists or not. So its just a motivation for me. Might be for others too. At least your making your own choice, which is great.

Back