What church should I try?

Cris

In search of Immortality
Valued Senior Member
I've lived in the USA now for 9.5 years and in that time I have never entered a church. Not that I went into churches much in the UK. But I am curious as to how I would be greeted and what I should expect. British and American cultures are quite different so I really don't know whether I would be welcomed, ignored, or perhaps even rejected. I guess it matters of course what church I chose.

In the UK, where there are many small communities, I would visit different churches and would usually be warmly greeted. I think mainly because their congregations were quite small and any potential new members were badly needed. But in the USA - what should I expect?

My last experience in the UK was with a church group that also held Sunday adult debate sessions, where of course I was usually the sole atheist. Had some great, congenial discussions. I miss those. I'd love to find that again over here.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I could proceed?

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area so I'd likely need some guidance from someone who understands the area.

And all the churches here have a host of strange names - not really sure what they mean. Kinda looking for a regular "standard" Christian friendly group.

Any suggestions welcome, um within reason.

LOL I live like 1.5 hr from you. I thought you were in UK.

Cris said:
I've lived in the USA now for 9.5 years and in that time I have never entered a church. Not that I went into churches much in the UK. But I am curious as to how I would be greeted and what I should expect. British and American cultures are quite different so I really don't know whether I would be welcomed, ignored, or perhaps even rejected. I guess it matters of course what church I chose.

In the UK, where there are many small communities, I would visit different churches and would usually be warmly greeted. I think mainly because their congregations were quite small and any potential new members were badly needed. But in the USA - what should I expect?

My last experience in the UK was with a church group that also held Sunday adult debate sessions, where of course I was usually the sole atheist. Had some great, congenial discussions. I miss those. I'd love to find that again over here.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I could proceed?

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area so I'd likely need some guidance from someone who understands the area.

And all the churches here have a host of strange names - not really sure what they mean. Kinda looking for a regular "standard" Christian friendly group.

Any suggestions welcome, um within reason.

go to the quakers,their services are the most interesting of any religions that i have been to.

ken,

Quakers - I'll take a look - something new would be interesting.

Nisus,

LOL I live like 1.5 hr from you. I thought you were in UK.
Uh oh - you are close - that's worrying. :D

I'm in Sunnyvale - where are you?

Cris said:
ken,

Quakers - I'll take a look - something new would be interesting.

they dont have a priest,they just take it in turns to speak about whatever they want with silent contemplation inbetween.sometimes no one speaks at all.its quite peaceful,being in the company of so many people in silence.sometimes you will have to listen to hippies ranting about flowers though.

Hmm - I think I'd like to start with something more conventional. I want a group that would be open to discussion and disagreement.

Well, you know I'd recommend the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Someone will probably shake your hand and welcome you there if they recognize that you're a visitor. Dress nice in a white shirt, tie, slacks (Sunday best) and don't smoke. Don't take the Sacrament (communion) when they pass it around. Visitors are always very welcome, as we are a missionary-oriented church.

don't go to any church. don't buy the propaganda. live your life free and make it count.

cato,

I am way beyond their propaganda. My personal mission is to encourage religionists to think rationally and to have them challenge their own indoctrination. But not by a frontal assault but by making them think for themselves by asking them the very awkward and challenging questions which they usually avoid.

Angry confrontations merely put the opponent on the defense, so that is not my approach - I appear unable to become angry in any case. Subtlety, friendship, logic and knowledge are my weapons.

More people in the world will enjoy greater freedom once the oppressive guilt generating indoctrinations of the leading religions are discredited.

Besides I totally enjoy a challenge against insurmountable odds where I have little chance in succeeding on my own. Quote taken partly from "The Last Starfighter".

Marlin,

Thanks - I might, but not first. LDS is a rewrite of Christianity and a small cult and I am far more comfortable with conventional Christianity which is the vast majority and must be the first prime target. Besides I haven't worn a tie for decades, except one day at a funeral.

Cris said:
Marlin,

Thanks - I might, but not first. LDS is a rewrite of Christianity and a small cult and I am far more comfortable with conventional Christianity which is the vast majority and must be the first prime target. Besides I haven't worn a tie for decades, except one day at a funeral.

Fair enough. The tie is optional, of course. Just look presentable and you'll be fine. Sunday best is recommended because you'll blend in better.

cosmic,

I'll have to check out UU at some time but there is little there that I find objectionable - I really am looking for something to oppose rather than to support.

Nice reference though - thanks.

Nisus,

You mean at the same time or the same physical location?

Cris, what drives you to this mission, I mean why should you care what anyone believes to the extent that you have to seek them out and attempt to change their way of thinking? And why only conventional Christian churches?

Hi tab,

Cris, what drives you to this mission, I mean why should you care what anyone believes to the extent that you have to seek them out and attempt to change their way of thinking?
I was expecting someone to ask that, especially when one of the objections to Christian evangelism is that we don’t like religion being pushed in our face.

1. It’s tremendous fun debating face-to-face on contentious issues.

2. It helps me practice thinking on my feet (brain and memory training). Sciforums debates are fine but we always have plenty of time to research the correct answers. Face-to-face debates are far more difficult - I like the challenge.

3. Without significant opposition any statements made are erroneously assumed to be accepted and true.

4. The persecution of atheists over the millennia has effectively silenced them to where they are fearful of the odds against them. That apathy needs to change otherwise the religionists will continue to dominate, at least in the USA. Religion appears to be rapidly dying in the more advanced countries of Europe; I’d like to help make it die in the USA as well.

5. I truly believe that if more people saw religion as not providing any real answers that there would be a massively greater motivation to use science to solve our problems. That would be very good news for my own personal well being and ultimate survival.

6. I see the widespread acceptance of religion here in the US as a serious wrong that needs to be righted and my nature tends to be proactive.

7. While I respect the idea that every individual is free to believe whatever they wish I feel that the magnitude of religious belief has achieved a level of independent momentum that too many go along with the ideas out of peer pressure and culture as opposed to individual determination. I am not so much opposing the individuals but the meme of religion acceptance that has spread out of control.

8. While the religious evangelist attempts to convert others by stating what people should believe; my approach is more about teaching how to decide what to believe or not to believe based on clear thinking rather than indoctrination.

9. I don't think a live and let live policy is acceptable all the time the religionists play by different rules. If I want to preserve my way of life then I must actively defend it and fight for it.

And why only conventional Christian churches?
That’s my strongest knowledge base.

M*W: Speaking of face-to-face confrontations, yesterday I was going into my local Wal-Mart, and at both entrances were men with buckets asking for donations to the True Life Church. The man asked me if I would please make a donation to his church. As friendly as I could manage, I said, "No. I'm an atheist, but good luck, anyway!"

The man's jaw dropped to his knees! I'm sure no atheist has ever spoken to him before! Then he stuttered but didn't say anything. When I came out of Wal-Mart, he managed to say, "have a blessed day." I said, "you, too." Then I got to thinking... did he think he had impressed me somehow with his needy xianity? Did I do wrong by acknowledging his "blessing" when I said, "you, too?" I pondered on this for a while, and I was comfortable with the interaction. Just because he used the word "blessed" doesn't mean anything religious. For me it meant nothing more than "good luck" or "have a nice day."

Blessings are available for everyone -- even atheists. In fact, it's atheists who have the most blessings of all!

Back