What authority does God have over non-believers?

water

the sea
Registered Senior Member

Are the following premises true?

1. You do not have to acknowledge God's authority over you.

2. If you do acknowledge God's authority over you, then this has consequences for you, good and bad.
If you acknowledge God's authority but rebel against it, the consequences are as given in the Bible.

3. If you don't acknowledge God's authority over you, then you are not under God's law, and you have no reason to fear the consequences for rebellion as are given in the Bible.

4. If you do fear the consequences for rebellion as are given in the Bible, then this means that you are actually acknowledging God's authority over you.

If one doesn't have to acknowledge God's authority over oneself, what authority does God have over one?

Does God care for non-believers? If yes, in what way?

You don't have to acknowledge the authority of the country you live in. Do they still have authority over you?

Or just look at it this way: God owns justice, and it's the gate through which everyone must pass.

God cares for people, whether they believe or not. He cares for everybody in that He provided a way to be reconciled with Him.

Hi water,

In my view,

1. True
2. True
3. True
4. True

Quote water:
"If one doesn't have to acknowledge God's authority over oneself, what authority does God have over one?"

None.

Quote water:
"Does God care for non-believers? If yes, in what way?"

Let`s first decide if this god is worthy of the question.

If you mean the Christian god (who is Christ Jesus according to Christianity). This god certainly does not care for unbelievers. As Jenyar says, maybe he cares, but there is a provision. "My way or the fiery highway" If this omnipotent god truly cared, there would no need for reconciliation. It would be a done thing. What he does do willingly though, is he commits non-believers to eternal hell. I will let Bertrand Russell explain.

Quotes from “Why I Am Not A Christian” by Bertrand Russell
(from: http://www.threads.name/russell/not_christian.html)

"Christ certainly as depicted in the Gospels did believe in everlasting punishment, and one does find repeatedly a vindictive fury against those people who would not listen to His preaching -- an attitude which is not uncommon with preachers, but which does somewhat detract from superlative excellence."

and,

"You will find that in the Gospels Christ said, "Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of Hell." That was said to people who did not like His preaching."

and,

"There is, of course, the familiar text about the sin against the Holy Ghost: "Whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven him neither in this World nor in the world to come." That text has caused an unspeakable amount of misery in the world, for all sorts of people have imagined that they have committed the sin against the Holy Ghost, and thought that it would not be forgiven them either in this world or in the world to come. I really do not think that a person with a proper degree of kindliness in his nature would have put fears and terrors of that sort into the world."

and,

" Then Christ says, "The Son of Man shall send forth his His angels, and they shall gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity, and shall cast them into a furnace of fire; there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth"; and He goes on about the wailing and gnashing of teeth. It comes in one verse after another, and it is quite manifest to the reader that there is a certain pleasure in contemplating wailing and gnashing of teeth, or else it would not occur so often. Then you all, of course, remember about the sheep and the goats; how at the second coming He is going to divide the sheep from the goats, and He is going to say to the goats, "Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire." He continues, "And these shall go away into everlasting fire." Then He says again, "If thy hand offend thee, cut it off; it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into Hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched; where the worm dieth not and the fire is not quenched." He repeats that again and again also. I must say that I think all this doctrine, that hell-fire is a punishment for sin, is a doctrine of cruelty."

Quote Jenyar:
"God cares for people, whether they believe or not. He cares for everybody in that He provided a way to be reconciled with Him"

Or face the consequences of their choice as indicated above.

Allcare.

That was very disingenious. I hope you at least tried to gain a better understanding of the Bible.

There is no way to receive love other than by accepting its source. If the source is not accepted, you won't even know what comes from them, good or bad. If you do not accept love from them, or forgiveness from them, where will you look for it so that it can still come "from them" in spite of your resistance?

Please prove me wrong.

Last edited:
God is a matter of belief, if you do not believe in god heaven and hell cease to be true. The reason i can conclude this is that both are concepts induced by belief in christianity or other religions. I am not familiar enough with religion to properly construct an arguemnt based heavily on biblical references but if god takes mercy on non-believers i dont see how christianity could have survived. At any rate, a believer must have some benefits a non-believer does not have, this may come in the form of security (security in the form of god), a purpose in life etc., but the only thing applicabale to both would be the concepts of heaven and hell, because (supposing they both exist) they are "external" in a way. Of course going back to my previous argument not believing in god makes both heaven and hell cease to exist. I see now that i got myself into a circle, but in the end it makes sense. Personally i dont think this can be solved to any degree with the knowledge we possess...

water said:

2. If you do acknowledge God's authority over you, then this has consequences for you, good and bad.
If you acknowledge God's authority but rebel against it, the consequences are as given in the Bible.

3. If you don't acknowledge God's authority over you, then you are not under God's law, and you have no reason to fear the consequences for rebellion as are given in the Bible.

4. If you do fear the consequences for rebellion as are given in the Bible, then this means that you are actually acknowledging God's authority over you.

If one doesn't have to acknowledge God's authority over oneself, what authority does God have over one?

Does God care for non-believers? If yes, in what way?
True or false. At least there is a corresponding sign of truth and lies.
There is the God of Truth known as Father of Lights. There is also known in the Bible as father of lies, feigning to be an angel of light, also described as god of this world.

It cannot be denied that however one man/woman denies the God who provides us everything we need. It is still true that God created man for a purpose and not for play. Although many don`t know what God is, still he has encountered godly situations, like thanking when one shunned an evil situaion, i.e. accidents.

God cares all men. He is the God who wants all men to be saved (from sin and from His wrath). Why? Because He is not a Dictator God but a God of Justice. So, when His wrath comes, He must be fair inasmuch as He is a God who cannot lie.

I have no shortage of love. As I have expressed before, my source nourishes me plentifully and unconditionally. There are many paths that reach the river of love. What I can not condone or accept, is a doctrine riddled with injustice, dressed up as pure love. If a doctrine cannot withstand scrutiny based upon mere mortal morals, it is worthless. Forgiveness only has meaning to those who feel the need to be forgiven. The only forgiveness worth its salt, is forgiving oneself. Religions come and go, like the ebbing tide, and each are proclaimed as truth. Where lies your lasting source?

Allcare.

Jenyar said:
That was very disingenious. I hope you at least tried to gain a better understanding of the Bible.

There is no way to receive love other than by accepting its source. If the source is not accepted, you won't even know what comes from them, good or bad. If you do not accept love from them, or forgiveness from them, where will you look for it so that it can still come "from them" in spite of your resistance?

Please prove me wrong.

To quote Philip Yancey - "There is no way to make God Love you more and there is no way to make God love you less"

It is all moot point if you respect his authority, God loves you anyway and rejoices when you came into the fold.

stretched said:
I have no shortage of love. As I have expressed before, my source nourishes me plentifully and unconditionally. There are many paths that reach the river of love. What I can not condone or accept, is a doctrine riddled with injustice, dressed up as pure love. If a doctrine cannot withstand scrutiny based upon mere mortal morals, it is worthless. Forgiveness only has meaning to those who feel the need to be forgiven. The only forgiveness worth its salt, is forgiving oneself. Religions come and go, like the ebbing tide, and each are proclaimed as truth. Where lies your lasting source?
I don't depend on religious ceremonies and doctrines for my faith, and they are not a source of love. God is. People come and go, but God remains. And He doesn't accept anything riddled with injustice either - that was the point of Jesus' teaching. But when your source is depleted, who will replenish it? Certainly, there is no end to self-love, and that is why the "scrutiny of mere mortals" isn't a trustworthy source for truth. A lot didn't pass the scrutiny of the inquisitions - are you saying they were justified? Does Milosevic only need to forgive himself for not winning all his wars, not believe they offended anyone enough to ask forgiveness, and then everything is fine again?

I still want to know: how is it even theoretically possible to accept love from someone you distrust, don't believe in, or otherwise reject?

water said:

you first have to believe it exist for it to have authority, which would mean your not a non-believer.
unless you were talking about a specific religion.
so those premises are false to a non-believer.

water said:
absolutely none, see above.

Last edited:
Jenyar said:
You don't have to acknowledge the authority of the country you live in. Do they still have authority over you?

Yes, fortunately or unfortunately.

And your analogy is valid -- comparing the way a country's government has authority over you is the same as they way God has autohrity over people -- because we do not own the earth, nor our lives, but God does?

Or just look at it this way: God owns justice, and it's the gate through which everyone must pass.

That's interesting: God *owns* justice. Only what is owned can be lost. If there is noone to own justice, justice can be lost.

God cares for people, whether they believe or not. He cares for everybody in that He provided a way to be reconciled with Him.

And if they refuse? What are the consequences?

stretched said:
If you mean the Christian god (who is Christ Jesus according to Christianity). This god certainly does not care for unbelievers. As Jenyar says, maybe he cares, but there is a provision. "My way or the fiery highway" If this omnipotent god truly cared, there would no need for reconciliation. It would be a done thing.

Then God would have to be a Golden Retriever.

What he does do willingly though, is he commits non-believers to eternal hell.

Hold on.

Consistency, please!

If a non-believer is sent to hell, at Judgement Day, he most likely won't know it anyway.
If hell is the ultimate separation from God, and a non-believer is willingly separated from God already in his life on earth -- then he probably can't tell whether after death, he goes to hell or not. So, to a non-believer, hell would be much like his life on earth.

It's the "you don't know what you're missing" argument, basically.

I will let Bertrand Russell explain.

Russell reeks of unbased lovey-dovey humanism.

"You will find that in the Gospels Christ said, "Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of Hell." That was said to people who did not like His preaching."

He who thinks that different people can live together in harmony is a blind romantic fool.
On one hand, Russell is advocating humanism, on the other hand, he shuts his eyes so as to not see that "all different, all equal" does not result in harmony, not on this earth, much less is it possible to sustain the "all different, all equal" situation.
Jesus only points this out.

"There is, of course, the familiar text about the sin against the Holy Ghost: "Whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven him neither in this World nor in the world to come." That text has caused an unspeakable amount of misery in the world, for all sorts of people have imagined that they have committed the sin against the Holy Ghost, and thought that it would not be forgiven them either in this world or in the world to come. I really do not think that a person with a proper degree of kindliness in his nature would have put fears and terrors of that sort into the world."

These people's fears suppose that God does not their minds, and that God is not benevolent.
Russell judges God by the reponses people have made towards God.
It's like saying, "You, Stretched, are a bad person, and this is true because I said so."

" Then Christ says, "The Son of Man shall send forth his His angels, and they shall gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity, and shall cast them into a furnace of fire; there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth"; and He goes on about the wailing and gnashing of teeth. It comes in one verse after another, and it is quite manifest to the reader that there is a certain pleasure in contemplating wailing and gnashing of teeth, or else it would not occur so often. Then you all, of course, remember about the sheep and the goats; how at the second coming He is going to divide the sheep from the goats, and He is going to say to the goats, "Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire." He continues, "And these shall go away into everlasting fire." Then He says again, "If thy hand offend thee, cut it off; it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into Hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched; where the worm dieth not and the fire is not quenched." He repeats that again and again also. I must say that I think all this doctrine, that hell-fire is a punishment for sin, is a doctrine of cruelty."

Yes, Russell believes we have the right to make mistakes but they should have no consequences for us; moreover, we have the right to do whatever we please, but this doesn't make us guilty.
I bet he'd even say we have the right to demand forgiveness.

Or face the consequences of their choice as indicated above.

I do think this needs more explaining.
The non-believer has quite a hellish existence anyway; but since he is so immersed into it, so conditioned into it, he finds nothing wrong with it.

Jenyar said:

Remember our discussion about gifts?
Some people wish to take, but without any obligation whatsoever to the giver.
It is not the giver who has the problem; it the greedy taker that has the problem: he wishes to receive, thinks he has a right to receive, but gives nothing.

Remember our discussion about gifts?
Some people wish to take, but without any obligation whatsoever to the giver.
It is not the giver who has the problem; it the greedy taker that has the problem: he wishes to receive, thinks he has a right to receive, but gives nothing.
I do, but does it apply in the same way here? I'm not talking about something one wishes to receive, but whether one is conceivably able to receive something from a source he rejects, and can therefore harbour resentment towards that source for not receiving it.

I ask this because of stretched obvious indignation that God could expect our alliance with him to receive His love, or face eternal separation - as if the "eternal separation" part shows that the assurance of love is not to be believed.

I think part of the problem is that truth is not negotiable, and therefore by nature exclusive. What is true about a certain person is only true for that person. One cannot conceivably expect someone else to present that same property in that same way.

Jenyar said:
I do, but does it apply in the same way here? I'm not talking about something one wishes to receive, but whether one is conceivably able to receive something from a source he rejects, and can therefore harbour resentment towards that source for not receiving it.

This is because of separating the giver from the gift. The gift has no meaning is the giver and the receiver have no relationship -- so the love given by God whom one rejects, such a love has no meaning then.

One might be able to receive something from a source he rejects: but it won't have the intended meaning.
It is only by a miracle then that one could receive and see the value of something whose source he rejects.

To quote a conversation with Gendanken:

gendanken said:
water said:
Gifts make bonds betwen people, and to deny this obligatory trait of the gift -- that stinky altruism was invented. "Nah, I just gave you that because I like you so much, because I care." Bull.

Exactly

water said:
I think that people are afraid of gifts -- afraid of what they mean. They certainly like the thing, they like to get it, but it seems they wish to exclude the meaning of the gift. The act of giving establishes a situation where one must decide: Will I accept the gift and the cooperation/exchange that has been offered by it? Or will I reject it? Such decisions can be very uncomfortable and demand some guts, or one has to admit to oneself that one is merely exploiting others.

This only describes the materialistic and shallow.
If you are afraid of something you avoid it. If it bothers you or you hate it, kill it when it shows up to disturb you.

If one is afraid of something or dislikes it yet takes it anyway - then isn’t its meaning destroyed?
There is no meaning in something one takes superficially.
There is no meaning insomething forced.

There is no meaning in something calculated, something orchestrated, temporary, false.

Then what meaning can there be in any interchange between these type people?

-- Then waht meaning can there be in an interchange between God and such people? They might take something God gives, but they won't thank God for it.

I ask this because of stretched obvious indignation that God could expect our alliance with him to receive His love, or face eternal separation - as if the "eternal separation" part shows that the assurance of love is not to be believed.

How is that -- if you want the blisses of marriage, you have to get married.
If you don't get married, then you won't get the blisses of marriage -- you are facing separation. -- But this does not mean that the premarital assurance of love in marriage is not to be believed.

I think the same principle applies when it comes to believing in God and His love.
(I do know that I am not the one to speak here, but I think I understand the logic of it.)

I think part of the problem is that truth is not negotiable, and therefore by nature exclusive. What is true about a certain person is only true for that person. One cannot conceivably expect someone else to present that same property in that same way.

Of course. Next, belief in something cannot be achieved deliberately -- with an act of decision.

To believe something depends on the information that we get, and once there is sufficient information, we automatically believe (unless we have some ulterior motives or a mental illness). If enough information is presented, we cannot but believe.

Of course, what this "enough information" is when it comes to God, is not universally definable. We can't say, "This information sufficed for me, so it must suffice for you as well. And if it doesn't, then you are wilfully rebelling, or have ulterior motives, or are mentaly ill."

While faith is a matter of decision -- as faith is a kind of commitment --, belief is not a matter of decision. Thus, truth is not a matter of decision either.

a person can wish that grass was purple all that they want, but it doesn't make the grass purple.

water said:
To believe something depends on the information that we get, and once there is sufficient information, we automatically believe (unless we have some ulterior motives or a mental illness). If enough information is presented, we cannot but believe.
This is true, and it would have been a trustworthy saying if we were still children who believed things as they presented themselves to us. Not quite indiscriminately, but certainly more readily. No child ever said: I would have believed if I could, but I can't. If there is something to believe, he'll simply believe.

But we have since been disillusioned, deceived, disappointed, and we don't believe automatically even when it feels as if we could have - when we have sufficient information, we doubt that it is sufficient; when we have enough, we expect more. We aren't satisfied with searching, we want to find; we aren't satisfied to find, we want to know; we aren't satisfied with knowing, we want to understand; we aren't satisfied with understanding, we want "evidence" - and the circle starts again.

Jenyar said:
This is true, and it would have been a trustworthy saying if we were still children who believed things as they presented themselves to us. Not quite indiscriminately, but certainly more readily. No child ever said: I would have believed if I could, but I can't. If there is something to believe, he'll simply believe.

But we have since been disillusioned, deceived, disappointed, and we don't believe automatically even when it feels as if we could have - when we have sufficient information, we doubt that it is sufficient; when we have enough, we expect more. We aren't satisfied with searching, we want to find; we aren't satisfied to find, we want to know; we aren't satisfied with knowing, we want to understand; we aren't satisfied with understanding, we want "evidence" - and the circle starts again.

How to break out of it?

Hi water,

Quote water:
“Then God would have to be a Golden Retriever.”

Because we cannot conceive of there being another path other than redemption? We are human, limited in our perceptions. Why should inherent benevolence be baa baa? Because we have no concept of that?

Quote water:
“If a non-believer is sent to hell, at Judgement Day, he most likely won't know it anyway.
If hell is the ultimate separation from God, and a non-believer is willingly separated from God already in his life on earth -- then he probably can't tell whether after death, he goes to hell or not. So, to a non-believer, hell would be much like his life on earth.”

Lets define hell. A place where there is: “A wailing and a gnashing of teeth”. OK, I’m a non-believer. Today I am not wailing and gnashing my teeth. Tomorrow I die and go to this “hell”. I wail and gnash my teeth and I am unaware? Where do you read hell is a separation from god? Give me the text.

Quote water:
“It's the "you don't know what you're missing" argument, basically.”

Not if you’re wailing.

Quote water:
“Russell reeks of unbased lovey-dovey humanism.”

This is what the world needs more of. Humanism is a visible process. God is an invisible process. Why choose pie in the sky when you can eat chocolate cake?

Quote water:
“He who thinks that different people can live together in harmony is a blind romantic fool.
On one hand, Russell is advocating humanism, on the other hand, he shuts his eyes so as to not see that "all different, all equal" does not result in harmony, not on this earth, much less is it possible to sustain the "all different, all equal" situation.
Jesus only points this out.”

Different people can live together. Period. I experience this on a daily basis. Religion causes the greatest division mankind can muster. Period. Am I wrong?

Quote water:
“These people's fears suppose that God does not their minds, and that God is not benevolent.
Russell judges God by the reponses people have made towards God.
It's like saying, "You, Stretched, are a bad person, and this is true because I said so."

Not so. Russell judges god by his character as portrayed in the Bible. God is conditionally benevolent. And extremely malevolent. Do you ever read the Bible? Give me humanism anytime.

Quote water:
“Yes, Russell believes we have the right to make mistakes but they should have no consequences for us; moreover, we have the right to do whatever we please, but this doesn't make us guilty.
I bet he'd even say we have the right to demand forgiveness.”

Russell is commenting on a so-called loving deity, committing extremely cruel and unforgiving acts on human beings. Flawed mortals, created in gods image. He is not commenting on consequences. What is your response to this cruelty? Would you do this to your kids?

Quote stretched:
“Or face the consequences of their choice as indicated above.”

Quote water:
“I do think this needs more explaining.
The non-believer has quite a hellish existence anyway; but since he is so immersed into it, so conditioned into it, he finds nothing wrong with it.”

This all speaks for itself. In your opinion the non-believer leads a hellish existence. Why? On what is your opinion based?

The biggest tool for the enslavement of mankind and the golden retriever syndrome, going back into the mists of history, has been that a “god” will unleash dire “consequences” on man, if he commits acts regarded as “sin” by that god. We find it uncomfortable to think outside of that box because of centuries of indoctrination. Generation indoctrinating generation. Your own conscience on the other hand, derived from your life experience, retains legitimate claim to engendering certain discomfort when committing harmful acts upon others.

Allcare.

strethced said:
Lets define hell. A place where there is: “A wailing and a gnashing of teeth”. OK, I’m a non-believer. Today I am not wailing and gnashing my teeth. Tomorrow I die and go to this “hell”. I wail and gnash my teeth and I am unaware? Where do you read hell is a separation from god? Give me the text.
2 Thessalonians 1:9
They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power​
The place where there was a "wailing and a gnashing of teeth" was the very real place of Gehenna - a perpetually burning garbage dump just outside of Jerusalem, where human sacrifices used to take place. It was certainly as "outside God's presence" as anybody at the time would have been able to imagine. We weren't created to live without God, just like we aren't made to live in fire. Our flesh and our nerves scream out against such an existence.

Hi Jenyar,

Quote J:
"The place where there was a "wailing and a gnashing of teeth" was the very real place of Gehenna - a perpetually burning garbage dump just outside of Jerusalem, where human sacrifices used to take place."

A convenient explanation, and believable, but the fact remains that the experience of hell is described as such: "wailing and a gnashing of teeth". What exact place it alludes to is inconsequential. The punishment is "everlasting". This is cruel. Disagree?

"The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will collect out of his kingdom all who cause others to sin and all evildoers. They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth." (Matthew 13:41-42 NAB)

Allcare.

stretched said:
A convenient explanation, and believable, but the fact remains that the experience of hell is described as such: "wailing and a gnashing of teeth". What exact place it alludes to is inconsequential. The punishment is "everlasting". This is cruel. Disagree?
The punishment is everlasting because the alternative to it is everlasting: Everlasting death vs. everlasting life. It is cruel only if it is unjust. You can avoid it by living a just and righteous life, according to His laws - have mercy as you expect mercy, and forgive as you expect to be forgiven. But you still can't promise yourself eternal life.

We were all going to this place of darkness and separation before God intervened. The injustice is actually that God overlooks sin in order to save some. Who those "saved" are would not hae been known if it weren't for Christ. Knowledge is in our hands, the consequences are known, and you get to decide.

If you don't like what separation sounds like, avoid it. If you believe Jesus was right about what it would be like, you must also believe He was right about having to save us from it. That's not cruelty, it's grace.

"The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will collect out of his kingdom all who cause others to sin and all evildoers. They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth." (Matthew 13:41-42 NAB)

Allcare.
You might have noticed that this is an explanation of a parable: weeds get separated from the corn, and thrown in... you guessed it: a furnace. What does the furnace stand for? The place of darkness outside the kingdom, like Gehenna is outside the city of Jerusalem:
Revelation 21:1-3
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”​

Back