What are UFOs?

Regarding lights on an alien craft.

I think that it makes perfect sense that it would (not saying we have been visited). We have lights on all our flying craft, why wouldn't they.

I don't think any craft currently in service that re-enters the Earth's atmosphere has running lights, ....

Open minded?
Me?
:eek:

I do know for a fact that Rabon is either lying or seriously deluded.

Well, both, actually - with special emphasis on the latter.

He has a serious mental condition that allows him to make up his own "facts" and then to believe that they are true. He thinks that just by his saying it is so MAKES it so.

I originally felt sorry for him because of his condition. However, he is SO obnoxious that it's impossible to maintain that attitude.

If he believes it then he isn't lying.

He begins by not believing it himself - but once having spoken it, he falls under the delusion that it MUST be true because he said so. (Classical circular reasoning but also coupled with a faulty mind.)

Also, he's had the presence of mind in the distant past to go back and delete whole series of posts that he's made. Meaning that he had a flash of "normalcy" for short period and realized how stupid he had been earlier. (But sadly, he hasn't had one of those "periods" in over a couple of years at the very least.)

Phlog,

"I don't think any craft currently in service that re-enters the Earth's atmosphere has running lights"

You are correct on landing/running lights because we light up the runways from what I can tell. Not to split hairs but they do have external lighting that is used.

http://optoelectronics.perkinelmer.com/catalog/Category.aspx?CategoryName=Space+Vehicle+Lighting

But I am pretty sure our lunar landers had docking lights. Because there wouldn't be a welcoming party.

If we were creating a craft to take people places beyond our solar system, say in 150 years from now, wishfull thinking, I think we would put some damn good lights on it IMO. Maybe we wouldn't turn em on and buzz their version of Stephenville, but we would have them.

Oli,

"Invisdible third hurdle?
Please elucidate."

Scientist recently have broken the three dimensional invisible hurdle. They created a fabric which could bend light around an object. If you wrapped yourself in this fabric and I looked at you, I would see the person standing behind you. IMO, humble opinion. This would be something that the military would have been working on for some time and would probably want to incorporate it into all sorts of equiptment.

40-50 years + of anti stealth, fair enough but I was trying to be conservative on when we as the public were informed about stealth planes, not in our military's attempt to get around radar systems in many other ways. I was specifically referring to known successes such as the first combat stealth planes, I believe were F117's in the 80's.

Open minded?
Me?
:eek:

Sorry; not trying to alarm you.

No, you're just a very rational person and I was impressed that you'd consider the possibility. I'm sort of sitting on the fence also. I fall into the "wouldn't it be nice if" category.

I do know for a fact that Rabon is either lying or seriously deluded.

No disagreements there.

40-50 years + of anti stealth, fair enough but I was trying to be conservative on when we as the public were informed about stealth planes, not in our military's attempt to get around radar systems in many other ways. I was specifically referring to known successes such as the first combat stealth planes, I believe were F117's in the 80's.
Um, SR-71?
(For the most publicly known one, we Brits were working on a Canberra with RAM in the 50's that I know of).

Um, SR-71?
(For the most publicly known one, we Brits were working on a Canberra with RAM in the 50's that I know of).

I seldom disagree with you, Oli, but you missed the mark on that one.

The SR-71 was neither stealthy nor a combat plane. It depended solely on flying at high altitudes for safety (which didn't last too long, either) and was equipped for recon missions only.

I seldom disagree with you, Oli, but you missed the mark on that one.

The SR-71 was neither stealthy nor a combat plane. It depended solely on flying at high altitudes for safety (which didn't last too long, either) and was equipped for recon missions only.

The SR-71 was designed as a stealth aircraft.

"There were a number of features in the SR-71 that were designed to reduce its radar signature. The first studies in radar stealth technology seemed to indicate that a shape with flattened, tapering sides would reflect most radar away from the place where the radar beams originated. To this end, the radar engineers suggested adding chines (see below) to the design and canting the vertical control surfaces inward. The plane also used special radar-absorbing materials which were incorporated into sawtooth shaped sections of the skin of the aircraft, as well as cesium-based fuel additives to reduce the exhaust plumes' visibility on radar."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR-71_Blackbird#Stealth

It was indeed a strategic reconnaissance aircraft and no combat aircraft, but damn it you can't beat its looks ! :D

sr71_1.jpg

The SR-71 was neither stealthy nor a combat plane.
SR-71 incorporated shaping for stealth and huge amounts of RAM (radar absrbent material) in its main structure.
And it was developed from the A-11 and YF-12A which were combat aircraft. In fact the AIM-54 Phoenix as carried by F-14 Tomcat was developed from the missile intended to arm YF-12A.
Although I doubt you'd find many professionals who consider reconnaisance to be a non-combat duty...

And the designation was originally intended to be RS-71 (Recce/ Strike), it had (as designed) a secondary role in long-range attack of strategic targets which was never put into action.

Back