Victims

If you'RE oppressed by political policies/governmental edict (of your own or forgien) and fight back does that make you a terrorist.

Terrorism is pretty specific to me, it's basically causing whatever physical destruction or death that you can. It's non-discretionary or in fact, pointed at targets that incite the most fear - like civilians.

So no I don't think you're actually a terrorist until you just start killing citizens or blowing up property to make a point. Fighting the government means you're a rebel.

Of course that you aren't actually a terrorist doesn't mean you won't be painted as one if it suits to purpose of those with the means to do so.

Terrorism is pretty specific to me, it's basically causing whatever physical destruction or death that you can. It's non-discretionary or in fact, pointed at targets that incite the most fear - like civilians.

So no I don't think you're actually a terrorist until you just start killing citizens or blowing up property to make a point. Fighting the government means you're a rebel.

Of course that you aren't actually a terrorist doesn't mean you won't be painted as one if it suits to purpose of those with the means to do so.

How does this pan out when the "terrorists" are under brutal military occupation?

Dresden?
American troop actions against Native Americans.
Firebombing Tokyo?
Vietnam?

The examples above all included much direct killing attacks on civilians but by official armed forces.

Another issue. When does collateral killing become terrorism?

Can economic policies be terrorist?

I ask these not because I think they will suddenly put you in a box or point out a contradiction. I am trying to see how flexible your definition is and how much the 'official' armed forces component shifts the definition. Can one be a terrorist and be a leader in an official army? In the Palestinian/Israeli struggle more children and civilians are actually killed by the official actions of the armed Israeli forces than by the Ps. However the former deaths are called collateral.

I also think in terms of primary goals and side effects.

For example Thorazine. The side effects of lethargy, lack of affect, oversleeping were often the real reasons the drugs were given in residential treatment facilities and the anti-psychotic effects were less important to the prescribers and nurses. Some of these were willing to admit this, at least to themselves.

I hope you can see the collateral/intentional issue I am raising here. How do we determine what someone 'meant' to do.

Is indifference morally preferable to hatred if both result in the deaths of civilians? Is cool, rational killing better than angry 'irrational' killing?

I realize I raised a bunch of issues, but in a sense I think they are raised by your post. My questions, actually, are not so much seeking answers, but to let you know what comes to mind when I hear your position.

if the Ps had an air force and were carpet bombing Israeli cities would we view this less as terrorism because of our own habits?

How does this pan out when the "terrorists" are under brutal military occupation?

*shrug* in the case you're speaking of I suppose it'll probably be some time before we see how it "pans out". i don't think there's a particular way it must do so.

Dresden?
American troop actions against Native Americans.
Firebombing Tokyo?
Vietnam?

The examples above all included much direct killing attacks on civilians but by official armed forces.

Another issue. When does collateral killing become terrorism?

Seems like all the same issue to me, as I don't know the real intentions of the people making the plans for each event.

Collateral killing becomes terrorism when attacks are intended to incite terror to gain political leverage. *shrug* So really it's one of those things that happens, but we can't always be really be sure of where and when it did given the lack of mind reading and such.

Can economic policies be terrorist?

Sure. I think "economic terrorism" is likely quite real, yeah. But can a policy itself be intended to cause terror to garner political leverage? Probably so sure.

I ask these not because I think they will suddenly put you in a box or point out a contradiction. I am trying to see how flexible your definition is and how much the 'official' armed forces component shifts the definition.

Well first I'd say that any political or military entity of strong conviction is basically mandated to shift every definition of relevance to what they find to be advantageous. Such is politics. Terrorism is a nice one because it's hinged upon intent - and we can't ever really know anyone else's intent, so it's sweet and maleable political goodness.

Can one be a terrorist and be a leader in an official army?

Sure, but people can of course (as greenburg has repeatedly pointed out I think, and perhaps yourself) can be more than one thing eh? If I blow up your children's bus stop while they're there, am I to be forever referred to as a terrorist? If so by whom and what if they choose to consider me a freedom fighter? That's kind the problem, not to mention intent. It's a nice squishy word.

In the Palestinian/Israeli struggle more children and civilians are actually killed by the official actions of the armed Israeli forces than by the Ps. However the former deaths are called collateral.

Well of course. Seriously if you're convicted enough in your belief to do what israel and palestinians do to each other, how could you expect less than the maximum spin, regardless of the reality?

I also think in terms of primary goals and side effects.

Sure.

For example Thorazine. The side effects of lethargy, lack of affect, oversleeping were often the real reasons the drugs were given in residential treatment facilities and the anti-psychotic effects were less important to the prescribers and nurses. Some of these were willing to admit this, at least to themselves.

The beauty is the lie eh? It's so easy for most, at least at first. The bullshit we weave for ourselves is fucking fascinating. It's hard enough keeping honesty straight, yet people can't seem to resist the power of disinformation, lies and ALL that jazz. I think it's exactly however, because it's powerful. It's a way not only to live with yourself, but to live with the other humans. So long as you can sustain the lie or whatever dishonesty, you're a-okay in the minds of those you might have to face at whatever time of day.

I hope you can see the collateral/intentional issue I am raising here. How do we determine what someone 'meant' to do.

Exactly. We can't unless we believe them. To believe them we have to believe that they're being honest with themselves and to us as well. Sometimes I'm sure it's true, sometimes not so much. Lots of factors to consider if you really want to break it down. Then there's a more subtle consideration of the scope of the decision. For instance in a military operation: Location A is determined to be an operational imperative. It must be taken by friendly forces. It is decided that Location A will be bombed to shit, so if there are opposing military forces there - they won't be. Must I consider whether or not civilians will be there? If I do consider it, and have discovered there won't be, then bomb the shit out of it and it turns out the military personel were in fact, not - but all civilians.... is that terrorism? I could see that intentionally limiting the scope of your investigation prior to an action could be used in attempt to avoid such potential negative allegations. Ah, the warm cloak of pausible deniability.

Is indifference morally preferable to hatred if both result in the deaths of civilians?

Well that question can only really be answered in consideration of the "to whom". It gets quite complicated.

Is cool, rational killing better than angry 'irrational' killing?

Again the same scenario, but one might hypothesize that "cool rational killing" is less detrimental to those who survive in terms of "societal stability" than "irrational" killing, as the latter is less predictable and thus, at least slightly more disturbing when considering the generalized "how safe is it to walk the streets", given I suppose that the cool rational killing is understood by the survivors - they could use that information to assess their chances, whereas "irrational" killing is entirely unpredictable - assuming I take your meaning correctly.

I realize I raised a bunch of issues, but in a sense I think they are raised by your post.

No problem I enjoy thinking it through a bit.

My questions, actually, are not so much seeking answers, but to let you know what comes to mind when I hear your position.

No problem, but I'm inclined to answer stuff - so sorry if that's annoying - it just is.

if the Ps had an air force and were carpet bombing Israeli cities would we view this less as terrorism because of our own habits?

I don't know how you'd view it, or how person x would view it, but I do know that the political and social entities would choose a position on it and try to pimp it onto those it sways because that's what they do. Every big issue will be spun to justify a policy. There's probably some theoretical social law about that.

everyone seems to ignore something terrorism is not about the killing it is about the fear

Is the unveiling of Governmental truth's on the people deemed terrorism , if it goes against their current perceprtion of their humanitarian standing.....?

I ponder with Zimbabwe what will it take for the people to turn....?
I also ponder with about bob marley and his Zimbabwe rebel song, was he prophetic to their current crisis or has dominoed an effect to dis-integration through ignorance of faith over economics
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tm9KHjxSzxw

did he foresee this......
ZimbabDollors3PA_468x628.jpg

When will the west step-in.........?
1 US dollar = 25 Million Zimabwe dollar:bugeye::wallbang:
The system of Knowledge can be benificial to some yet catastrophic to others.
Sometimes the burden of fear is held easier on the few than the many as massed knowledge is easily distorted...

If it is the fear aspect, Then the west is causing terror in ways uncontrolled by humanitarian law

Last edited:
*shrug* in the case you're speaking of I suppose it'll probably be some time before we see how it "pans out". i don't think there's a particular way it must do so.

I meant your theory:

What happens when the civilians are part of the occupying force?

Collateral killing becomes terrorism when attacks are intended to incite terror to gain political leverage.
I am not sure what political leverage is. The bombing of civilian targets in war is definitely intended to incite terror and demoralize the 'enemy'.

Sure, but people can of course (as greenburg has repeatedly pointed out I think, and perhaps yourself) can be more than one thing eh? If I blow up your children's bus stop while they're there, am I to be forever referred to as a terrorist? If so by whom and what if they choose to consider me a freedom fighter? That's kind the problem, not to mention intent. It's a nice squishy word.
I wouldn't say one had to in all contexts refer to him as a terrorist. I am not sure how long the term should fit. Is a veteran bomber from Vietnam on the US side a terrorist or is it some other thing because he was acting as part of an official national military service?

Again the same scenario, but one might hypothesize that "cool rational killing" is less detrimental to those who survive in terms of "societal stability" than "irrational" killing, as the latter is less predictable and thus, at least slightly more disturbing when considering the generalized "how safe is it to walk the streets", given I suppose that the cool rational killing is understood by the survivors - they could use that information to assess their chances, whereas "irrational" killing is entirely unpredictable - assuming I take your meaning correctly.
But then cool, rational killing, to my mind, is one of the factors that make the concentration camps 'manufacturing' jewish and other deaths so horrible. Give me one hot blooded maniac with a knife on a rampage over people who are comfortable discussing the most efficient ways to kill large numbers.

No problem, but I'm inclined to answer stuff - so sorry if that's annoying - it just is.

This would be a judgement, however neutral. Are we privilidged when it comes to ourselves? Shouldn't you have qualified this in terms of time? (Right now it seems like I am inclined to.....) This of course refers to your other thread. You could take up the answer there. I am not sure it is any less a crime to judge ourselves. Perhaps these are the root judgements that set us up to judge others. That's on the practical side. On the epistemological side: I am not sure we know so much more about ourselves.

Is the unveiling of Governmental truth's on the people deemed terrorism , if it goes against their current perceprtion of their humanitarian standing.....?

I ponder with Zimbabwe what will it take for the people to turn....?
I also ponder with about bob marley and his Zimbabwe rebel song, was he prophetic to their current crisis or has dominoed an effect to dis-integration through ignorance of faith over economics
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tm9KHjxSzxw

did he foresee this......
ZimbabDollors3PA_468x628.jpg

When will the west step-in.........?
1 US dollar = 25 Million Zimabwe dollar:bugeye::wallbang:
The system of Knowledge can be benificial to some yet catastrophic to others.
Sometimes the burden of fear is held easier on the few than the many as massed knowledge is easily distorted...

If it is the fear aspect, Then the west is causing terror in ways uncontrolled by humanitarian law

Why don't they just make a 25 mil bill ?

I am not sure what political leverage is. The bombing of civilian targets in war is definitely intended to incite terror and demoralize the 'enemy'.

Did you miss that whole thing about scope? You know what political leverage is, why say not? Maybe you don't know what i mean, it's pretty simple: My group wants this! Other group: NO! First group, okay then we kill your children. *kills children* We want this or we'll kill more of your children. That's getting political leverage assuming you aren't destroyed for having killed the children. Either way it's intended to gain leverage.

I wouldn't say one had to in all contexts refer to him as a terrorist. I am not sure how long the term should fit. Is a veteran bomber from Vietnam on the US side a terrorist or is it some other thing because he was acting as part of an official national military service?

Given the squishy nature of the term, I don't think there's a single correct answer, but the reality is that each mind establishes it for itself (though it may be persuaded by parties to which it seems advantageous to establish the label in doing so).

But then cool, rational killing, to my mind, is one of the factors that make the concentration camps 'manufacturing' jewish and other deaths so horrible. Give me one hot blooded maniac with a knife on a rampage over people who are comfortable discussing the most efficient ways to kill large numbers.

Well I assumed for the analysis (however halfassed) that the numbers were equal. You're doing apples and oranges eh?

This would be a judgement, however neutral.

That is confusing me because a "nuetral judgment" short circuits something in my brain.

Are we privilidged when it comes to ourselves?

In what specific capacity? I'd think so, generally speaking yeah. We, being us - have direct access to what it is we seem to be to us.

Well I assumed for the analysis (however halfassed) that the numbers were equal. You're doing apples and oranges eh?
1) The guy who kills his wife because he is curious to see her GI tract is much scarier to me than the guy who kills his wife because she slept with his brother. Each kills one person. I could imagine being friends with the latter guy.
2) I think the cool rational killer is more likely to end up with unequal numbers. People are ideas.
That is confusing me because a "nuetral judgment" short circuits something in my brain.
If you go back to the OP, you are talking about making judgements of people. this to me means applying adjectives to them. Asshole, prude, whatever. You expressed a judgement of yourself about your inclinations. I'm hard pressed to come up with the adjective but it was a statement about your nature. It might not be true. I think, personally, that being very thorough in responding to all points is pretty neutral. Probably a good tendency in some circumstances, probably problematic in others. To me it is neutral, but still you are claiming a kind of timeless knowledge about someone, in this case yourself.

In what specific capacity? I'd think so, generally speaking yeah. We, being us - have direct access to what it is we seem to be to us.
But also counterbalancing over perhaps overwhelming needs not to notice how our self-judgements are off.

Back