Vengeance

The death penalty is not for taking revenge. It is for getting rid of killers and murderers and people who are a serious threat to the rest of society.

Exactly; but regardless, I support it 100%, and I'm sick of the softies who want to cater to the criminal's every whim.

Sympathy for the devil

Exactly; but regardless, I support it 100%, and I'm sick of the softies who want to cater to the criminal's every whim.

I personally like the saying:
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one".

This doesn't mean that I wouldn't injure or kill someone bent on injuring or killing someone else without just cause (in war time, things can get really messy). But when they're in prison, it's fairly unlikely that they can get out if the people who judge such things feel they can't be rehabilitated.

Basically, if someone is dangerous, they should be dealt with in a way that society benefits the most. However, I have serious doubts that killing people who have done likewise is necessarily the best course of action and I know there are countries that agree with me (My home and native land Canada, for instance).

The most often cited reason I think is that the accused may not actually be guilty. Personally, I add another; essentially, I believe that criminals are like people with a disease. If the disease is contagious, you must isolate them for the community's good. But I don't hold them in contempt; rather I sympathize for them. There was a case in Canada about a truly terrible serial killer, named Paul Bernardo. Some wanted to make an exception in his case and kill him; it didn't happen.

Something I found to be very curious, however. In the media's rush to demonize him (and his acts truly do seem demonic), they didn't seem that concerned with -why- he came to be who he was. I tried to find out a little about him at the time but couldn't find much. Wikipedia may not be perfect, but it seems to have collected more then I knew then at any rate; here's a sampling:

"After her father had disapproved of an earlier suitor, Eastman (Paul's mother) married Bernardo (his father) in 1960. Like his father, Kenneth Bernardo was said to be abusive and Marilyn, after having given birth to a son and a daughter, found refuge in the arms of her previous suitor. She became pregnant and gave birth to Paul Kenneth Bernardo on August 27, 1964."

There's more, but I think you get the idea; twisted minds don't come out of nowhere. And perhaps if we learned more of how they got twisted, we'd be able to prevent minds getting twisted like this in the first place.

Back