Unproven for lack of evidence. Atheism/Theism

The universe is OUR universe. Existence is EVERYTHING, which includes all universes.

We really should have a separate word for our universe and other separate universes once we establish they exist.

The universe is defined as everything in existence.

It's a semantic thing.

semantic
Adjective
1. of or relating to the meanings of words
2. of or relating to semantics [Greek sēma a sign]
Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006

What?

In our universe.

No.

http://encyclopedia.kids.net.au/page/mu/Multiverse

universe
The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology | Date: 1996

universe
A. †in u. (L. in universum) universally XIV;

B. the whole of created things XVI; the world XVII. — (O)F. univers or L. ūniversum the whole world, sb. use of n. of ūniversus all taken together, lit. ‘turned into one’, f. UNI- + versus, pp. of vertere turn.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O27-universe.html

Universe
Noun

1. Everything that exists anywhere; "they study the evolution of the universe"; "the biggest tree in existence".

2. The whole collection of existing things.

3. (statistics) the entire aggregation of items from which samples can be drawn; "it is an estimate of the mean of the population".

4. Everything stated or assumed in a given discussion.

http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/un/universe.html

semantic
Adjective
1. of or relating to the meanings of words
2. of or relating to semantics [Greek sēma a sign]
Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006

What?

Apparently, it's the other way around. The universe is made up of multiple multiverses, see first link in previous post.

:D;)

Wow. So our multiverse is expanding?
Unlike the universes in the "quantum multiverse", these universes can have completely different laws of physics—anything may be possible. (see first link)
Wait. Universes. Multiverse.

What?

Science by itself explains nothing. I can generate housefuls of data but if I don't make assumptions and interpret them they are all meaningless. If you don't believe me, take a printout of any data and give it to someone who has no idea what it is meant to represent. Ask them what it means.
Who is it, you suppose, that goes about interpreting the data? You seem to have a bizarre conception of science.

Yes they are. Which is where we come to the parsimony. Everytime we select one hypothesis we eliminate countless others. Why do we select one? Thats a subjective reference, probably depending on circumstance, opportunity and observation. Further development of any hypothesis follows from this initial selection, since, unless it is falsified at some point, we are unlikely to backtrack and start over. And if you don't think scientists cling to their hypothesis as true, you have no idea what happens in research.
Certainly, scientists are human just like the rest of us. Happily the methods of science have been developed to minimize our human foibles. Disclosure, peer review, statistical analysis, replication, etc. all work to minimize such bias.

~Raithere

SAM said:
Science by itself explains nothing. I can generate housefuls of data but if I don't make assumptions and interpret them they are all meaningless.
So interpretations and assumptions are now excluded from science ? The list lengthens.

Would that include theories, laws, etc ?

Sniffy-I'm not trained in any particular science except electricity, most of the self-study/hobby knowledge I've gathered has been in theoretical physics, astronomy, and AI. I like evolution and the big bang theory. I'll take evolution for now.
I wonder how God put life on earth?(input theory of evolution) Neat!

Oh I see. Hamtastic!

I wonder what created god (input theory)
I wonder why god put life on earth (input theory)
I wonder how god started evolution (input theory)
I wonder what god actually did for billions of years whilst waiting for humans to evolve (input theory). Actually I think I know the answer to the latter.
He twiddled his atoms didn't he?
I wonder what I'm going to have for tea today (input theory).

So interpretations and assumptions are now excluded from science ? The list lengthens.

Would that include theories, laws, etc ?

IMO, the scientific method attempts to describe the events of nature in a way that can be repeated and reproduced. Assumptions and inferences are what we contribute to keep the system moving forward. The methods can be the same everywhere, but the assumptions and inferences are subjective to a great degree and are defined by the person using the method.

IMO, the scientific method attempts to describe the events of nature in a way that can be repeated and reproduced.

Where?

chartmethod002.jpg

Where it is used. You can try it. Write down a hypothesis and give it to two different groups [or three or four or five]. Ask them to formulate an experiment to test it, note down their observations, generate the results, analyse and interpret them and return to you.

What is the probability that both [or all] will be identical?

Where it is used. You can try it. Write down a hypothesis and give it to two different groups [or three or four or five]. Ask them to formulate an experiment to test it, note down their observations, generate the results, analyse and interpret them and return to you.

What is the probability that both [or all] will be identical?

Ok, my hypothesis is that space and time are affected by gravity.

Yup, exactly the same results from testing, identical.

Next.

Back