Universal Health Care

There's a good little xian.

This is not about Christianity, it's about smart business. You don't reward losers/stupid people. You make them learn personal responsibility. Like don't buy the booze, cigarettes, drugs, extra plazma tv's, new cars every year or so etc.... and then b!tch about how poor you are and how you can't afford insurance. And stop having kids you can't afford and expect the government/ winners/taxpayers to pay for them too.

This is not about Christianity, it's about smart business. You don't reward losers/stupid people. You make them learn personal responsibility. Like don't buy the booze, cigarettes, drugs, extra plazma tv's, new cars every year or so etc.... and then b!tch about how poor you are and how you can't afford insurance. And stop having kids you can't afford and expect the government/ winners/taxpayers to pay for them too.
Ok. Answer my post above if you would be so kind.

Thanks.

No. I'm not discussing ANYTHING with you. You and spidergoat have personally attacked me. I'm done here. Nice debate, boys. Resort to personal attacks and avatar desecration. If I did that I would be banned in a heartbeat. :mad:

Your attitude is selfish and greedy. We all pay for roads, disease prevention (CDC), all kinds of services, there's no reason we should let Americans die because some corporation wants a slightly bigger bottom line.

Ok.

Anyway, since sandy's out of here, what I was going to explain was this:

I was an engineering consultant for two years. Trying for the entrepenurial thing. Nothing grand mind you. I have a modest home, typical middle america lifestyle. BUt for those two years I was sans insurance. Why? Because, even with my modest lifestyle and perfectly reasonable consultants income, I could not afford the health costs! I would have had to sell my house. Literally. I had to all but force the company to hire me as a regular employee so I could taqke advantage of the bulk pricing of insurance that only large companies get!

You all can figure out what this means.

Your attitude is selfish and greedy. We all pay for roads, disease prevention (CDC), all kinds of services, there's no reason we should let Americans die because some corporation wants a slightly bigger bottom line.

HA! Exactly! Read my last post.

Who has to pay for this healthcare? I do. So do all my friends. We have to pay for the healthcare GIVEN to people who choose not to have it. Sorry, but I don't want to pay for your healthcare. Just like I don't want to pay 70%
of my taxes for schooling your kids, but I have to. Socialized healthcare is bad. Bad for people. Bad for America. :(

So the good Samaritan was a fool ?

"The United States spent $4,178 per captia on health care"

Figure one: health spending per capita shows that the UK only spends 1,461 per capita

Now on to infant mortalitiy rates 7.2 per 1000 live births in the US
Compared to 5.9 per 1000 in the UK

Sweeden on the other hand spent $1,746 per capita and has a infant mortality rate of 3.5 per 1000

http://dll.umaine.edu/ble/U.S. HCweb.pdf
University of Maine

pritty conclusive results dont you think, the only thing i havent managed to find at the moment is exact figures for the percentage of spending by goverment compared to private but im sure you can guess what that will look like

pretty conclusive results dont you think, the only thing i havent managed to find at the moment is exact figures for the percentage of spending by goverment compared to private but im sure you can guess what that will look like
We are trying. It's hard to overcome the social bias and mythology surrounding "socialized" medicine and the very real corporate power that's behind it.

my question is why, i could understand if they were some isolated little country but apart from the internet and travel how many of there citizans live across the border from canada and travel over there on a regular basis, im sure some of these (if not most) have turned up at a canadian GP or A&E and recived treatment and even if they had to pay (being non citizans) im sure they talked to the canadians. I just cant see why the public doesn't demand universal cover. Whats more i just dont get why Business doesnt demand one, after all if your worker has say, a melinoma (its the only thing i could come up with off the top of my head) and goes into hospital and has it removed the boss pays between a day and a week maybe sick leave. If thats untreated then he has an employee dying of canser who he must replace and pay for all the retraining. Or to take an example from "Sicko" a guy has his fingers cut off so he has them reatached and has a couple of months rehab or he doesnt have those fingers and cant work. Where is the sence in this?? and why dont americans fight for it??

Edit to add: I am begining to think i have my answer, i thought this would be flooded by replies today and there is nothing. Maybe its just a case that americans just dont care although i cant see why thats the case.

We are getting to that point something has to be done. Because the condition continues to worsen. Our healthcare costs increase by more than 10 percent a year and the average income only increases a few percentage points.

Sorry Sandy, Sandy is a really good example of why we do not have universal healthcare services in this country. Billions of dollars have been spent by the healthcare industry not only on our elected representatives but on the citizens re-enforcing all of the notions espoused by Sandy. I have been in these kind of debates in the SciForums and with other Republicans outside the forum and there just is no convincing them...no matter how many facts you have, and no matter how logical you are, this sizable section of the electorate is convinced that socialized medicine is almost as bad as satan. These ideas have been very carefully re-enforced by the Republican Party and Healthcare Industry over the course of several decades. You can refute every single point with fact and they will not be convinced.

Sandy may not know that there are instances within the United States where socialized medicine is succefully in place and have been for decades.

Most notably, our Military and with our senior citizens in the form of a medicare program. Unfortunately, our Republican dominated congress and president Bush passed a prescription drug bill which gives medication to senior citizens at a reduced. This was one of the drug industry responses to keep people from leaving the country to get prescription drugs. This medicare prescription drug law forbids the government from negotiating price for the medications with the drug companies. Our government is bound by law to pay whatever price the drug industry demands for drugs covered under this program.

Earlier last year, the Democrats gained a slim margin of control over our Congress. Immediately, the drug companies begain flooding the air and TV waves with advertisments on the horors of allowing the the government to negotiate witht the drug companies for lower prices. I frankly was astonished with the quickness of the ad program and how they were justifying the restrictions on price negotiations. In the United States it is legal to lie (freedom of speech), especially with respect to politics. Republicans and corporations have learned that if you lie, you can confuse the heck out of the electorate and that is all you need to do to keep them from taking action.

This is not an argument of logic. It is an arguement of emotion...cultivated with with ads, and apeals to old fashioned values in our churches. Logic will get you no where with the Sandys and the rest of the Republican base that has been carefully cultivated over the course of decades. In their world, Non Republican sources of information are lies. They are always oppressed by evil liberals...all good strong emotional arguements, but not very logical.

What is amazing to me and what more Americans need to understand is that socialized medicine is not a bad thing. We have limited socialized medicne today for our military disabled veterans and our senior citizens. And it works very well. Whenever I hear folks from other industrialized countries talk about healthcare, they all seem very pleased with what they have and would not trade it for what we have in the United States. The arguements that Sandy and others provide against it just melt away, both the subjective and objective arguements.

Sandy references not wanting to pay for folks who do not have medical insurance. Suprise she is paying for it now if. Medical providers are required to provide emergency service anyone. So all of those uninsured folks are using our emergency services to get medical treatment. And of course they cannot pay their bills. So who pays for that cost. It is those who have insurance. Those costs are operational costs that are passed on to those who have insurance. As more and more folks cannot afford insurance this situation will continue to get worse. So something must change. As you know treating average folks through your emergency services is a very high expensive way of providing healthcare services.

What we should be doing is examining every aspect of the health care delivery system for efficiency and quality. For example, globally medical doctors globally only receive about six years of training. In the United States doctors are required at a minimum to train for at least eight years. Are those extra years necessary? Do they yeild a beter doctor? I think not. But that extra training adds to the cost of our healthcare system.

Now I don't want to hurt Sandy, because I like her. But she is misled as are many people here in the United States. Over the course of the last several decade we have seen the emergence of something refered to as Neo-Conservatism. This is a political philosophy orginated with a guy called Leo Strauss. It is very uggly. If you have a few moments I suggest you look up some info on Leo Strauss.

Will the American electorate get past this..God I hope so!

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Leo_Strauss

http://www.uregina.ca/arts/CRC/pdf/The making of a Straussian.pdf

Neocons divide the world into good and bad. It is a very easy concept to understand. The United States is good any thing or one opposing their leadership is bad…liberals are immoral. Any information not complimentary to their cause is heretical.. Information sources that are not putting forth party line cannot be believed and must be infected with liberalism. Neocon followers are carefully taught they can only believe information coming from sanctified Republican sources.

http://www.rightwingnews.com/quotes/coultertreason.php

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/10587.html

By the way, I am a life long Republican. But I am not very happy with my party...have not been for more that two decades...since the Neo-Cons took over. Again, I do not want to trash or hurt Sandy. I value her, she is a good human being...just a wee bit misled through no fault of her own.

Last edited:
isnt the republican party in the pocket of big business like the librals are here?

if so wouldnt THEY be putting pressure on the republicans?

The way it seemed to me this should be a no brainer

for the left wing its about social justice and human rights but for the right wing its about ecernomics both of which say that a free top class education system and a free top class medical system including preventative primary health care are essential. otherwise you end up with either illierate uneducated staff that cost a lot to reskill and then on top of that they get to sick to work and cant afford to get better so the employer has to start again. They are both part of the essential infustructer of our econermie

It is a no brainer. But it is not about logic, it is about emotion and control. Our educational system has and continues to degrade. I am begining to think it is by design. With globalization, you do not need a large educated population domestically because you can reach out to other areas of the globe at lower cost. Educated folks are much more dificult to control politically. On the left, the labor unions are more interested in increasing their compensation that educating our children. So ironically both left and right wind up on the same side of the education coin in the United States.

And both parties are in the pocket of big business...but especially the Republican (Conservative Party).

What compassion? What morality? The poor already get free healthcare. So do the 50 million criminal aliens. I'm already paying for them. I don't want to pay for able-bodied lazy/stupid people's healthcare. There is nothing moral in throwing money at people who choose not to have insurance.

you haven't a clue to what your talking about. insurance that will accully cover you is expensive a lot of people cannot afford it. the economic benfits should be enough reason alone to get universal health care

No. I'm not discussing ANYTHING with you. You and spidergoat have personally attacked me. I'm done here. Nice debate, boys. Resort to personal attacks and avatar desecration. If I did that I would be banned in a heartbeat. :mad:

do you understand the difference between an economic good and a public good

in this case they are the same thing, well advocate the same outcome anyway

so why dont you fight for it?

after all pollies are poll driven, if enough people give them reason to fear for there jobs then you get what you want, well some of the time
When Clinton tried to pass her Rube-Goldberg Health Care Scheme, the result was the Democrats lost control of congress for the first time in forty years! The people do not want government run healthcare. Every interaction we have with the government is unpleasant. The DMV, the IRS, the Police. Dealing with the government means long lines, inefficient service, and surly, arrogant workers, it sucks.

As Jefferson said, the government that governs best, governs least. Allowing the government to take over 16% of the economy is hardly "governing least".

Now on to infant mortalitiy rates 7.2 per 1000 live births in the US
Compared to 5.9 per 1000 in the UK

Sweeden on the other hand spent $1,746 per capita and has a infant mortality rate of 3.5 per 1000

http://dll.umaine.edu/ble/U.S. HCweb.pdf
University of Maine

pritty conclusive results dont you think
No, I don't. Direct comparisons of infant mortality between different countries can be very misleading. The US counts every baby, no matter how young, or how sick, or how premature. Many nations do not. Many of the deaths we report in the US are counted as "still born" in the rest of the world. From Wikipedia:
While the United States reports every case of infant mortality, many other countries do not. For example, a 2006 artilce in U.S. News & World Report states, "First, it's shaky ground to compare U.S. infant mortality with reports from other countries. The United States counts all births as live if they show any sign of life, regardless of prematurity or size. This includes what many other countries report as stillbirths. In Austria and Germany, fetal weight must be at least 500 grams (1 pound) to count as a live birth; in other parts of Europe, such as Switzerland, the fetus must be at least 30 centimeters (12 inches) long. In Belgium and France, births at less than 26 weeks of pregnancy are registered as lifeless. And some countries don't reliably register babies who die within the first 24 hours of birth. Thus, the United States is sure to report higher infant mortality rates. For this very reason, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which collects the European numbers, warns of head-to-head comparisons by country." [2]

For example, historically, until the 1990s Russia and other countries of the former Soviet Union did not count as a live birth or as an infant death extremely premature infants (less than 1,000 g, less than 28 weeks gestational age, or less than 35 cm in length) that were born alive (breathed, had a heartbeat, or exhibited voluntary muscle movement) but failed to survive for at least 7 days.[2] Although such extremely premature infants typically accounted for only about 0.005 of all live-born children, their exclusion from both the numerator and the denominator in the reported IMR led to an estimated 22%-25% lower reported IMR.[3] In some cases, too, perhaps because hospitals or regional health departments were held accountable for lowering the IMR in their catchment area, infant deaths that occurred in the 12th month were "transferred" statistically to the 13th month (i.e., the second year of life), and thus no longer classified as an infant death.[4]

Another challenge to comparability is the practice of counting frail or premature infants who die before the normal due date as miscarriages (spontaneous abortions) or those who die during or immediately after childbirth as stillborn. Therefore, the quality of a country's documentation of perinatal mortality can matter greatly to the accuracy of its infant mortality statistics. This point is reinforced by the demographer Ansley Coale, who finds dubiously high ratios of reported stillbirths to infant deaths in Hong Kong and Japan in the first 24 hours after birth, a pattern that is consistent with the high recorded sex ratios at birth in those countries and suggests not only that many female infants who die in the first 24 hours are misreported as stillbirths rather than infant deaths but also that those countries do not follow WHO recommendations for the reporting of live births and infant deaths.[5]

Another seemingly paradoxical finding is that when countries with poor medical services introduce new medical centers and services, instead of declining the reported IMRs often increase for a time. The main cause of this is that improvement in access to medical care is often accompanied by improvement in the registration of births and deaths. Deaths that might have occurred in a remote or rural area and not been reported to the government might now be reported by the new medical personnel or facilities. Thus, even if the new health services reduce the actual IMR, the reported IMR may increase. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infant_mortality

madanth said:
No, I don't. Direct comparisons of infant mortality between different countries can be very misleading. The US counts every baby, no matter how young, or how sick, or how premature. Many nations do not.
So which countries does that make a difference in, and how much?

Sweden and the UK, for example - are they hiding their dead babies as stillbirths ? Canada? Israel? Netherlands ?

How are they rigging their height stats, disability rates, and prorated lifespan numbers, making the US look bad ?

The US has worse health care stats than most comparable countries in almost every general category possible. The US spends twice as much per capita on health care as most of these countries - often, even, more tax money and public expenditure (our taxpaid veterans', children's, and old folks health care is much more expensive due to lack of universal health care otherwise). Our taxes are higher, total for health care, than some of these systems.

It's theoretically possible that the US could establish universal health care on a single payer plan for about the same tax bill already being paid. Other countries have. The extra coverage would be essentially free, once the backlog of untreated illness and injury had been cleared up.

Clearly the US system is broken, and breaking further. The central problem seems to be basing health care access on employment, and setting up a market system for rationing it. There is no way to set up an efficient market for health care, and the need correlates negatively with employment. It's a stupid system - the problems and idiocies are completely obvious.

How are they rigging their height stats, disability rates, and prorated lifespan numbers, making the US look bad ?
Many factors, other than the healthcare system, have a huge impact on issues such as life expectency. Llfestyle, overeating, lack of exercise, obesity. All of these factors influence those stats and are beyond the control of the "health care system". The health care system comes into play when dealing with specific diseases. And when you measure outcomes for specific diseases, the US outperforms all the socialist paradises out there.

People come from all over the world for treatment in the US. Most major medical advances originate here.

Of course the healthcare system is not perfect. But most of us would rather try to address specific problems rather than scrapping the whole system.

madanthonywayne FINALLY something i agree with health DOES require a whole of goverment aproch. For instance social housing, education, employment ect

Back