UK is in Moral Decline

Atom

Registered Senior Member
More than eight in 10 people believe that Britain is in moral decline, a survey has found.

The poll, for new BBC One show The Big Questions, found only 9% disagreed that moral standards were falling.

Of 1,000 adults asked, 62% said religion was important in guiding the nation's morals, while 29% disagreed that faith had a role to play.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6982805.stm

Two questions - "Do you believe Britain is in moral decline?"

And "Do you believe religion is important in guiding the nation's morals?"

Should we become an Islamic Republic and make SAM our benign Dictator?

Don't give SAM any big ideas.

It's interesting in Britain how popular Faith schools are.
Even people who are non-religious themselves try to send their children to faith schools, and I think it is not only for the higher quality of teaching.

Our me me Capitalist system is the best one we have found so far.
It may come to a cataclysmic unhappy ending if the US continues on its present path, but we shall see.

The idealistic ones: Naziism, Communism, Faith based Government,
seem to lead quickly to mass bloodshed and stagnation.

While you want your child to get on ok in life
you don't want him/her to be a selfish little shit

Hence the lottery system necessary for getting into the schools with an ethos.

They are trying to bring in an atheistic version of Christianity
into state schools
but it doesn't work as well.

I blame our local druid. He had a chance to stop the rot in the days and weeks following the Battle of Hastings and never took it. And we've been 'in moral decline' ever since.
It's interesting in Britain how popular Faith schools are. Even people who are non-religious themselves try to send their children to faith schools, and I think it is not only for the higher quality of teaching.
No they don't.

The problem is the average person only has a maximum of around 80 years to guage the actual decline or rise in moral standards.
And most of the people in the survey probably havent even lived that long.

Id suspect most are basing their opinions on around 40 years of experienced social change with no cross-referencing or historic research to check whether or not things really are 'getting worse' or in fact if theyre 'getting better'. So its all abit haphazard.

I think there's also a tendacy to measure society from the victorian era onwards, which is flawed from the outset since the victorian era was an incredibly short-lived puritanical 'blip on the screen'.
And even if you are going to measure against the starched-collared sensibilities of the victorian era, ethical and moral standards are still vastly and provably better.
Sex/age/gender discrimination laws, endangered species/wildlife protection, anti-slavery/forced-married laws, raised ethical standards in all areas of medical research (animal and human).
We've never had it so good, infact ethically speaking your average townie is probably vastly more switched on and aware of social issues like these and their importance than a man of academia would have been 150 years ago.
Although i think the reality is when people talk about 'moral decline' what theyre really talking about is an 'increase in sexual promiscuity' and kids looking intimidating at the local bus stop.
I can practically garantee that that's what people are flapping about, which is fine. But ethics and moral standards extend far beyond what you see going on a saturday night in your local city centre.

Last edited:
Well thats of course nonsense...a mere 50 yrs ago, muggings were unheard of, there were very few burglaries of houses and if anyone WAS found guilty of thieving they were treated like 'social pariahs' in the community.

That is what community is all about and family...which is why I have some sympathy for the Islamic faith in the family and in the respect it gives to its elders. It doesnt just shove them in Old Peoples homes....there is much to admire about moderate Muslim and Hindu behaviour...well ALL eastern mores to be honest.

But yes they do.
People purposefully move into areas next to Faith schools.
The houses in Faith school catchment areas are higher priced.
Perhaps you know better.
No they don't.

Most of the people I know can't afford to move anywhere. I'm sure they'd love to move into a nice, quiet, God-fearing area if they could but, unfortunately, for most of them it simply isn't an option. So I suspect that you're talking about a relatively small cross-section of the population. And I further suspect that, amongst that population, their electing to move into those areas doesn't, in most cases, derive from entirely devout motives. Rather, they move there because it's nice and quiet and peaceful and because they probably won't get their cars stolen very often.

But anyway: most of the people I know who've expressed an opinion on this would prefer non-religious schooling for their children.

So do you have any figures on this to support your interpretation rather than my interpretation?

Last edited:
I've edited it. Feel free to edit your quote (or keep it, as you please).

Anyway: evidence to support your curious interpretation of why 'the houses in Faith school catchment areas are higher priced', please.

Thanks.

The only faith schools that aren't thriving are those that insist on learning the Koran by rote.

The others generally do better than their council school counterparts.
Just do a quick google on "Faith School" and combine it with "catchment Area"

The first one is a council school which is proud that it has managed to produce as good result as Faith schools.

http://www.teachers.org.uk/showwirearchive.php?id=1567248

Just in case you think I'm picking and choosing, combine

Faith School
Catholic School
Jewish School etc

With
Successful
Unsuccessful
Good results etc
and see what you find.

As regards house prices
I am quoting popular belief
It is true in my immediate area
but that may not be true everywhere.
ie I may be wrong.

Last edited:
Well, one the of the first results of my search was this:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=421361&in_page_id=1770

Many Anglican and Catholic primaries are heavily over-subscribed because parents believe they get better results and have a stronger "ethos" of hard work.

Tony Blair, a devout Christian, has thrown his weight behind the expansion of state-funded faith schools.

But today, a report commissioned by the Department for Education and Skills from the London School of Economics warned that sending a child to a faith primary will give them only a "very small advantage" over a pupil at the secular school down the road.

Attending a faith primary school will add just 0.0042 per cent to their pay as an adult - equivalent to an extra £1.25 a year on the average London salary of £29,744, said LSE academics Dr Stephen Gibbons and Olmo Silva.

Dr Gibbons said his findings threw into doubt the wisdom of the Government's support for more faith schools. "There's no clear evidence for the Government's policy to be geared towards expanding faith schools," he added.

Results achieved by children in national tests taken at age 11 were only one per cent better in the case of faith school pupils, he said.
So I went off and found the LSE report - and guess what? They conclude that faith-based schools aren't the educational hothouses that all the people queuing up to get in think they are. Those "one per cent better" results are achieved by selecting the more able students in the first place. So it seems to be something of a self-fulfilling prophecy, doesn't it.

And one of the other initial search results was this: a poll conducted by the London borough of Brent's community network, asking whether people were in favour of faith-based schooling. 92% were against. This isn't unique either. In most of the polls I looked at a clear majority declared themselves against faith-based schooling. Here: take a look.

Are you asking if it is important, or if it should be important? Clearly it is important. But should it be? Religion doesn't exactly have a great track record here. You rarely see atheists blowing themselves up or killing their neighbors in the name of atheism.

More than eight in 10 people believe that Britain is in moral decline, a survey has found.

The poll, for new BBC One show The Big Questions, found only 9% disagreed that moral standards were falling.

Of 1,000 adults asked, 62% said religion was important in guiding the nation's morals, while 29% disagreed that faith had a role to play.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6982805.stm

it is in moral decline, and it doesnt help that many of the women in the uk (well in blackpool anyway) have no control over they're children, they are being allowed to do what they want when they want because we have got to be politically corect!!!! Because we are not allowed to upset people with "problems":mad:
If babies weren't having babies and not having a mail figure around perhaps things wouldnt be like this

You think teen pregnancy rates wernt high and that people didnt have children outside of wedlock in the 1700s?
Youre only really measuring society against the society that still exists in living memory, thats the problem.

Yes.

There is a clear link between the rise of womens rights, 'ethnic-minority' rights, human rights, gay rights, animal rights and societies decay into amorality, drug abuse and mindless violence.

The whole concept of rights is a perversion of nature used by governments colluding with private enterprise. The result is a black youth intimidating you in the street, drunk women mouthing off in bars, homosexuals mouthing off on television, violence against older people, more unjust wars and dogs killing children.

An Islamic state in Britain would be a good first step to eradicating this.

You think teen pregnancy rates wernt high and that people didnt have children outside of wedlock in the 1700s?
Youre only really measuring society against the society that still exists in living memory, thats the problem.

no i am speaking from what i see here in my local area, many of the children who have children can't look after them and the kids grow up to do what they want when they want.
and the thing with the 1700's was that people were not affraid to punish they're children if they did anything, not all children are bad but the ones who are bad make it bad for the good ones.
perhaps if we started giving girls condoms ot the pill in schools things may change for the better.

Lord preserve us from drunk women "mouthing off" in bars. Should be at home cooking their menfolk's dinners.

The only difference between times past and now is that, back then, wife-beating and child abuse were brushed under the carpet. These days it'll be broadcast across the intenet. What you're witnessing these days is higher visibility brought about by improved means of communication. It's a good thing. It means that these things are being highlighted and acted upon. Start worrying in earnest only when all the news channels are silent.

Back