Topic: Mayan Calender videos, some of the best info i have came accross.

In truth, skinny's new icon is less truthfull than it's other one.

I give the time span from 2005 to 2015, and 2012 is in that time frame also.

Big cheesy grins

If I'm going to watch fiction, I'd rather watch Stargate and Battlestar Galactica. The production value is higher in each.

SkinWalker said:
If I'm going to watch fiction, I'd rather watch Stargate and Battlestar Galactica. The production value is higher in each.
The Lord of the Rings trilogy is good.
I like the Blade trilogy as well.

P.S. Very interesting to find out where the words "Catastrophe" and "Disaster" came from and what they literaly mean.

For those that might be waiting, breath bated:

Catastrophe - from the Greek, {kappa}{alpha}{tau}{alpha}{tau} -{rho}{omicron}{phi}{ghacu} overturning, sudden turn, conclusion.

Disaster - from the French dis- + astre. Astre meaning star or planet, and by adding the "dis" creates a negative connotation such as with disrepair. A calamity or misfortune. The opposite is benastre, meaning "good fortune."

Much of our current etymology in language is derived from the superstitions of our fore-fathers.

I couldn't get all the Greek letters figured out in the alt-num pad, so I just typed their English equivalents in brackets.

Καταστροφή
[Thats what Babelfish.altavista.com came out with on a English to Greek translation ;) ]

SkinWalker said:
For those that might be waiting, breath bated:

Catastrophe - from the Greek, {kappa}{alpha}{tau}{alpha}{tau} -{rho}{omicron}{phi}{ghacu} overturning, sudden turn, conclusion.

Disaster - from the French dis- + astre. Astre meaning star or planet, and by adding the "dis" creates a negative connotation such as with disrepair. A calamity or misfortune. The opposite is benastre, meaning "good fortune."

Much of our current etymology in language is derived from the superstitions of our fore-fathers.

I couldn't get all the Greek letters figured out in the alt-num pad, so I just typed their English equivalents in brackets.

Fairly good translation on Disaster, Catastrophe not so good.
Can you take me to a link or reference where these words have been proven to be taken from some form of "superstition", or was that just a general reference?

Thanks

Catastrophe is dead on according to the Oxford English Dictionary. Do you have another etymology?

The French astre refers to stars and planets. Their superstitions were that the stars and planets affected their fortunes. No rocket science there.

SkinWalker said:
astre refers to stars and planets.

Yeah, thats what I was looking for.
Sorry, didn't see you post that explanation originaly with catastrophe, only with disaster.
My Dic says "a sudden or severe disaster".
Makes more sense than the overly complicated than need be {kappa}{alpha}{tau}{alpha}{tau} -{rho}{omicron}{phi}{ghacu} etc.

**Their superstitions were that the stars and planets affected their fortunes.

Who's "they"?
Are you saying all of the french were into horoscope type stuff as a foundation for their beliefs or "who" exactly are you talking about?
Besides, I didn't ask you "who", I asked "where" your proof was that these words in particular stem from some specific superstition.

Can you show me these superstitions you speak of claiming to describe the destruction of a planet or star and what it supposedly meant to the individual in question?

Like whenever a star or planet is destroyed their love life will improve that week or something?

Last edited:
2012 apparently holds some sort of significance in the Maya Calendar....don't know what exactly.
I'll make sure to write down the event in my day planner:)

Well its more likely to be another Religious Nutjob year of Stupidity, they'll put their heads together come up with a date that seems "Prophetic" and then go about trying to make that prophecy come true.

If the end of the world was nigh, it would only be for you nutjobs as the world will still go on without you. (Thats not actually expressed at any reader)

Stryder said:
Well its more likely to be another Religious Nutjob year of Stupidity, they'll put their heads together come up with a date that seems "Prophetic" and then go about trying to make that prophecy come true.

If the end of the world was nigh, it would only be for you nutjobs as the world will still go on without you. (Thats not actually expressed at any reader)
Your guess is as good as any other nutjob, since theres no way to know for sure.

Are you suggesting that the year 2012 in the Mayan calendar represents the "end of the world as nigh"?

I'm suggesting that people pick dates and times all the time and those particular dates and times are now in the past, which means the world continues on. Why they pick those dates, I couldn't tell you. Perhaps they watched "The Terminator" or some equally apocolyptic film that has some year set in the future when things are suppose to happen and they've just subconciously taken that date in.

Well the Mayans could of been seriously concerned with Drowt, famine, pestilance, climate changes, you name it.

Back