To what degree does the influence of christmas make an atheist grumpy?

Does christmas make an atheist grumpy?

• Not at all

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • It is perceptable to a small degree in some

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Certainly noticable in the average atheist

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite a common occurence

• Hard pressed to find an atheist who doesn't develop into a grump over christamas

• Total voters
Grumpiness has nothing to do with atheism. I strenuously object to the wasteful, reflexive consumption that Christmas is. Year after year we read that something like 30% of all retail business happens in the month before Christmas. And for what? How on earth did we get suckered into expending huge amounts of money we can't spare buying crap people don't need and probably don't want?

I've tried to resist, believe me I have. To suggest that we let the solstice season pass without buying tons of shit is tantamount to accouncing that one has leprosy.

I would like very much to celebrate the turning of the seasons - to go out and have a big old bonfire on solstice eve, maybe share a meal and a couple of drinks. Everything else is noise and waste, and I for one would much rather give my thousand dollars to a homeless shelter than piss it away at Wal-Mart.

I think the proper term is "grinch".

No, actually, it's OK. All the Christians are happy fat and fed. How could I get upset about people being happy?

Bravo Sam and LG.

A thread designed to make atheists look grumpy if they protest. Well how about this for annual festive grumpiness?

http://mediamatters.org/items/200511210003

Why would the atheist be 'grumpy' when christmas has nothing to do with religion these days? Seems to me, it is the theist that is grumpy bearing in mind this fact. Why do they get so grumpy and hot under the collar when they receive a card saying "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Xmas"?

Tally:
Chinese Communists -> 65 million dead, 40 year period - Economic ideology, not religion
Cambodian Commies -> 2 million dead, 5 year period - Economic ideology, not religion
Soviet (Russian)Commies ->20 mill dead, 50 year period -Economic ideology, not religion
Germany ->60 mill dead -- 8 years- racism, imperialism, not religion.

So, atheism was the reason all those millions were killed, Sam?

Some questions for atheists on this forum:

How do you deal with the following during Christmas?

1. church attendance

2. participation in religion themed rituals with the family during the festive season

3. political points of view regarding Christmas and Christian traditions

4. saying grace

5. exchanging Christmas greetings and gifts

So, atheism was the reason all those millions were killed, Sam?

If you look back, it was a rebuttal to this post:

superluminal said:
No theist has ever been in danger from an atheist.

And I gave the reasons why the people were killed, in some detail.

Last edited:

1. church attendance

Stinkbombs

2. participation in religion themed rituals with the family during the festive season

Laughter

4. saying grace

Voting

5. exchanging Christmas greetings

Merry Mithramas

6. exchanging Christmas gifts

Spend money

1. church attendance
I never go.

They don't.

It doesn't come up.

4. saying grace
I never say it.

It's still Christmas if I don't believe in it. I say Merry Christmas, because I am sincere in wanting people to have a Merry Christmas. I also like to give gifts, so I do that too.

Well there are no flies on me. I put a santa's hat on Jimi Hendrix afterall lol

1. church attendance

4. saying grace

What Spidergoat said.

Another question to ask (among those who are respectful of other people's beliefs) is how people of different religions respond to it?

December 25th, as practiced by the pagans was a party, not a somber day.

I'm all for the pagan revivalist movement.

Of course, who do think came up with the idea of dropping stinkbombs in churches?

Pull the other one.

Seriously, I was wondering how uncomfortable it is for those with families that are theists, does it make them feel isolated not participating in events with them?

Fox News said:

See, I think it's all part of the secular progressive agenda to get Christianity and spirituality and Judaism out of the public square. Because if you look at what happened in Western Europe and Canada, if you can get religion out, then you can pass secular progressive programs like legalization of narcotics, euthanasia, abortion at will, gay marriage, because the objection to those things is religious-based, usually.
Then stop objecting. :confused:
Fox News said:
You have France or you have - or you have Holland, you have legalized prostitution, you have drugs. All those things come in which religious organizations tend to oppose.
And that is why we oppose religious organisations. P.S. Way to get the country wrong, arsewipes.

I suppose I should be King of the Grumps. Not only do I think religion (yes, I mean all religions; yes, I've investigated them all thoroughly; ok, I'm lying) is a pile of unadulterated dog cack but, in addition, today, of all days, is just another day at work for me. The secular progressive agenda being promoted by my company insists that someone needs to man the office today, of all days - and that, this year, that someone is me.

But guess what? I'm not feeling grumpy at all. I'm feeling happy. Extremely tired (a few late nights wrapping presents lately)... but happy.

As with most people in the West, Christmas for me has no religious context (yes, I know that we're 'all' registered Christians - I'm a Protestant, apparently - but proper, bona-fide, God-fearing, Bible-pounding, church-going ones? Don't make me laugh). To me Christmas is all about that early-morning visit by the amiable fat man in red, and getting new socks, and new jeans and lots of cool stuff, and eating til you burst, and drinking til you fall over, and watching decent TV for once, and having a good laugh with the people you care about, and wishing 'All the Best!' to people you can't stand, and forgiving those who've trespassed against you and generally having a f***ing good time (sorry about the asterisks, filth-lovers - but I am at work, remember?). As someone else has already said it's the one day a year when all us 'Christians' - *cough* - are actually nice to each other. There's a genuine feelgood air about the day - a time when you can relax and let your guard down a bit and maybe resolve a difference or two that may have cropped up during the year. It's a cultural thing though. For the vast majority of us Jesus doesn't get a look-in.

As for all the full-time grumps out there, moaning about the consumer excess: well, ok - it's hard for the less well-off. I know plenty of people who'll spend the next 6 months or more paying off the debts accrued during this year's blowout. It's a genuine problem, and I don't want to belittle their difficulties or pretend that the pressure on them to buy, buy, buy is anything less than enormous. However, for those of us who can afford it.. I'm sorry, but we like giving. It's not about consumption (much as I love cool stuff ;) ); that's for the kids. For adults it's about giving things to the ones we love. It wouldn't bother me one iota if nobody bought me a thing - the clothes I get are always too small or the wrong colour, anyway - but I do like buying things for those I care about (I avoid buying clothes unless I know their tastes and measurements ;) ).

But don't let me be dogmatic about this. If you want to spend the day warbling off-key hymns to a non-existent entity in a cold church, or working in a soup-kitchen, or attending a big old bonfire and sipping mulled wine with the one you love (all the while wishing you were at home playing Call of Duty on your Playstation II)... you go right ahead. Don't let me stop you. The most important thing is that you enjoy the day while it lasts. Make the most of it. I mean, the rest of the year is just such an almighty f***ing grind, isn't it?

But don't let me be dogmatic about this. If you want to spend the day warbling off-key hymns to a non-existent entity in a cold church, or working in a soup-kitchen, or attending a big old bonfire and sipping mulled wine with the one you love (all the while wishing you were at home playing Call of Duty on your Playstation II)... you go right ahead. Don't let me stop you. The most important thing is that you enjoy the day while it lasts. Make the most of it. I mean, the rest of the year is just such an almighty f***ing grind, isn't it?

Amen!

Christmas is fueled by tradition, good memories of childhood, and religions. Since religion is stupid, it leaves tradition. Tradition is stupid, unless it has meaning, leaving good memories of childhood. Those are good I guess.

Insightful right?

Yes, christmas is all about good memories. Although, it begins to suck when you start having to spend money as you get older. I should say that I don't celebrate christmas because I am an atheist, and far from being grumpy, I would demand that my belief gets respected in the same way other faiths don't celebrate christmas :D

Back