To know there is no god?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You obviously didn't read the Sam Harris link but instead want to be fucking spoon fed everything like a little baby. You have a totally uneducated opinion on this subject and wont even read four pages to have an intelligent converstion? Read the fucking links I posted and then come back. Quit wastin my fucking time... I'm not going to spoon feed you.
:rolleyes:

I have read it.
My point is that you might well have read it but you can't analyse it objectively - because through your "teachings" you have been basically told how to analyse it.

And I think you have just proven my point with the excerpts you posted.
There is NO evidence in there whatsoever of the non-material.
Please point out the precise bit that says "this is evidence of the non-material" and I will happily correct you.

Yes, some "experience" can be repeated.
So what!
There is nothing in any of it - and yes, I have read it - that gives evidence for the non-material.

There is evidence of something - and that something could be explained through (a) the non-material (although no evidence for anything non-material has ever been produced); or (b) highly complex interactions within the physical brain that we do not yet understand or can reproduce.

Now, ever heard of Occam's Razor?

And stop with the insulting language.
It's pathetic.

If I am to accept what you say, merely 'cos you say it and claim to be "qualified" - then you are asking me to "believe you".

If you don't want me to accept what you say - then what are you actually doing here?

All I ask for is some tiny shred of evidence to support your claims.

No , has a single word I've written penetrated your skull? I am not saying you should accept the existence of God because anyone tells you to. I am telling you should only accept the existence for God if you yourself have had direct experience. You are the authority (the same way you are the authority when you look at anything that you know is true).

I can't provide you with evidence. The evidence is within you. Only you can look into yourself.

Can you prove to me you are conscious and not just a zombie with the appearance of consciousness?

I can't provide you with evidence. The evidence is within you. Only you can look into yourself.

That's the point, we have, and theirs no evidence of god!

However how would one go about qualifying one who does make the claim, "I have direct perception of god" I think that's the issue here! ;)

That response begs the question since "direct experience" assumes that this god exists. Either the god you claim is a real external agent or it is fictitious. If its real, then it exists in reality and "direct experience" should be possible through observation. What Sarkus et al have asked is what is the evidence to support such an observation?

If this god is fictitious, then "direct experience" would either be a delusion limited to the individual or, at best, an observation of the deluded individual exhibiting signs of delusion. In that latter regard, we can find much "direct experience" of a god simply by observing the behaviors and actions of those deluded in its belief. That evidence, however, is not within the observer but, rather, the observed.

I have read it.
My point is that you might well have read it but you can't analyse it objectively - because through your "teachings" you have been basically told how to analyse it.
Give me an example of where I haven't analysed it objectively.

And I think you have just proven my point with the excerpts you posted.
There is NO evidence in there whatsoever of the non-material.
Please point out the precise bit that says "this is evidence of the non-material" and I will happily correct you.[/QUOTE]
You state that the physicalist thesis--roughly, that the brain causes (or in your word, that it "produces") consciousness--is an article of faith" among scientists. You are correct, there is no evidence of the immaterial. It is IMPOSSIBLE to provide evidence of the immaterial, quit demanding that it be provided. It is exactly like a Christian fundamentalist demanding that you prove God's non-existence. Just becasue you can't prove that, doesn't prove he doesn't exist. What I was demonstrating with those quotes is that science can't claim that mind is material because this hsn't been proven by scince. And yet many scientists make the claim that mind is material? With NO SCIENCE TO BACK IT UP.
Yes, some "experience" can be repeated.
So what!
There is nothing in any of it - and yes, I have read it - that gives evidence for the non-material.
We are not talking about evidence of the immaterial. We are talking about having this experience. You just admitted that it can be repeated. What my point is is that you yourself would have to have this experience yourslef to determine its validity or invalidity.
There is evidence of something - and that something could be explained through (a) the non-material (although no evidence for anything non-material has ever been produced); or (b) highly complex interactions within the physical brain that we do not yet understand or can reproduce.
I agree with you completely here. In my orogonal post in this topic I stated the crux of the religious question revolves around "If this experience is valid or if it is some kind of illusion."
Now, ever heard of Occam's Razor?
Yes, I have heard of Occam's razor and I would say in this instance it the simplest explanation is that since these people that have this experience seem to be reporting an onbjectively observed fact the simplest explanation is that they are observing an objectively observed fact. "To me, the occurence of mystical experience at all times and places, and the similarities between the statements of so many mystics all the world over, seem to me to be a really significant fact. Prima facie it suggests that there is an aspect of reality which these persons come in contact in their mystical experience, and which they afterwards strive and largely fail to describe in the language of everyday life. I should say that this prima facie appearance of objectivity ought to be accepted at its face value unless and until some reasonably satisfactory explanation of the agreement can be given."
And stop with the insulting language.
It's pathetic.

Calling someone pathetic is insulting language. Hypocrite.

That's the point, we have, and theirs no evidence of god!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't see the differnce between a Christian demanding that you prove God's non-existence and you guys demanding evidence of the immaterial.
However how would one go about qualifying one who does make the claim, "I have direct perception of god" I think that's the issue here! ;)

The issue as I see it, is why is that people that have this experience have a remarkably high degree of agreement with each other upon what is experienced. This agreement is across time and culture. The only other human institution in which this high degree of agreement is reached is science. Which to me suggests some kind of observation of objective fact.

Sarkus-I finsihed my above post.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't see the differnce between a Christian demanding that you prove God's non-existence and you guys demanding evidence of the immaterial.
The Christian in your example is demanding evidence of non-existence.
We are demanding evidence of the existence of the non-material.

The Christian in your example claims that God exists - so the Christian should provide the evidence.
You claim the non-material exists - so you provide the evidence.

Your analogy would be the same if YOU were demanding of US to prove that the non-material DOES NOT exist.

The Christian in your example is demanding evidence of non-existence.
We are demanding evidence of the existence of the non-material.

The Christian in your example claims that God exists - so the Christian should provide the evidence.
You claim the non-material exists - so you provide the evidence.

Your analogy would be the same if YOU were demanding of US to prove that the non-material DOES NOT exist.

I've told you repeatedly that for you to understand what it is the mystic is talking about you would have to experience it for yourself. I'm saying that if one observes owns mind in depth one discovers certain truths. Similiar to if one observses the physical universe one discovers certain truths. THe problem is that the experiment involves you observing your own mind yourself. How am I supposed to provide you with the truths that ones discovers by observing ones own mind. I am saying that this practice of observing one's own mind which has been practiced by different cultures of all times have come up with remarkably similar descriptions which suggests some kind of objectively observed fact (hence the agreement).

I am not asking you to believe anything excpet what you discover by observing your own mind for yourself. If you find nothing then that's exaclty what I should expect you would believe-that there is nothing there. On the other hand if you do have a direct perception of the transcendent by observing your own mind then I would expect a belief in the transcendent.

Because, without direct experience you are talking about something you are totally ignorant of.

So.. until you have had direct experience of something, you are totally ignorant of it... having said that, of what use is the bible - or more to the point, of what use would the bible serve to the unqualified?

I think there is cross-cultural agreement upon the nature of the transcendent which suggests an objective observation

I keep asking you to explain to me what that 'objective observation' is - beyond the basics, (i.e hearing voices/a mystical experience).

There is on the other hand no cross-cultural agreement upon vampires, mermaids, vampires, etc

There isn't? Unicorns were written about by many cultures, (and even feature in the bible). Giants are written about by many cultures and also feature in the bible. Will you now 'believe' that unicorns and giants exist? (If so is that accepted belief simply because "the bible says so" and not because the claim is cross cultural)?

Yes, you can argue against somethings existence.

Thank you.

You can't on the other demand physical evidence for the non-physical.

So... I can't argue against the existence of zeus.. because you could never get evidence for or against his existence?

Well, you almost managed to write a post without ruining it by stating your opinion as fact.

That's all you have done. Why the hypocrisy? But no, the evidence shows that LG and your statements are indeed bollocks..

How am I supposed to provide you with the truths that ones discovers by observing ones own mind.
Did you not say that the "experiment" is repeatable? And that if anyone does the same steps they will each have a "direct perception of God"?
Why are you now saying that you can not provide me with the answers?

Or are the truths different for each person? :eek:

If so, is this not a clear indication of gross subjectivity?

Do the results of physics experiments depend on the person performing them?

I am saying that this practice of observing one's own mind which has been practiced by different cultures of all times have come up with remarkably similar descriptions which suggests some kind of objectively observed fact (hence the agreement).
But probably (Occam's Razor) not what you interpret it as.

I am not asking you to believe anything excpet what you discover by observing your own mind for yourself. If you find nothing then that's exaclty what I should expect you would believe-that there is nothing there.
But this would not then be the "direct perception of God" that YOU claim it is.
What then?
If 2 people have different experiences - whose is more accurate? Who judges? Who validates?
Is it a flawed process or a flawed practitioner?

And round and round and round they go.

So.. until you have had direct experience of something, you are totally ignorant of it... having said that, of what use is the bible - or more to the point, of what use would the bible serve to the unqualified?
As far as I'm converned the Bible is of no use. The Bible is of absolutely no use and very dangerous in the hands of the unqualified. They use it as an excuse to be irrational, they almost deifnitely (don't understand it as evidenced by their inability to even follow the basics such as don't kill, they are even capable of killing in the name of God. If however, the Bible helps someone live a peaceful, moral, life in accordenace with Christ's tachings it may laed them to someday have direct expeience of the transcendent.)

I keep asking you to explain to me what that 'objective observation' is - beyond the basics, (i.e hearing voices/a mystical experience).
No voices, quit bringing voices up.
I'll post some descriptions below.

There isn't? Unicorns were written about by many cultures, (and even feature in the bible). Giants are written about by many cultures and also feature in the bible. Will you now 'believe' that unicorns and giants exist? (If so is that accepted belief simply because "the bible says so" and not because the claim is cross cultural)?
Well, I don't know what to make of that if its true. Are you saying it's impossible that a horse with a horn existed. Are you saying it's impossible that in the past the were some tribes that had larger individulas than other tribes? Isn't there even any anthropological theory that humans actually committed genocide against other humanoid species? And where have I once said that someone should accept something because the Bible says so? Seriously, where are you gettting that from?

So... I can't argue against the existence of zeus.. because you could never get evidence for or against his existence?
Of course you can argue against the existence of Zeus. How does bringing up Zeus refute my claim that it is legitmate to demand physical evidence for the non-physical.

That's all you have done. Why the hypocrisy? But no, the evidence shows that LG and your statements are indeed bollocks..
No, I have had a consistent argument that I've been trying to demonstrate using reason and where appropriate quotes from philosophers or religion. I haven't merely just said that everything you say is "bollocks." You stated your opinion as fact and I called you on it, period, no hypocrisy.

Description of mysticism from eastern perspective:

D. T. Suzuki is credited with bringing Zen to America. Through books, articles, and teaching, Suzuki helped make Zen instruction widely accessible in North America. Zen, known for its distrust of symbols, rituals, and study of holy texts, Zen practice is mainly built around focusing the mind on the breath, a movement, or on an unchanging landscape such as a blank, white wall.

The mystical experience in Zen is called Satori (wu in Chinese). Satori is that which lies beyond most forms of insights such as those arising from contemplation or via imagery and is a intuitive grasp of the reality "beyond forms." Suzuki says Satori has these characteristics:

1. Irrationality. "By this I mean that satori is not a conclusion to be reached by reasoning, and defies all intellectual determination. Those who have experienced it are always at a loss to explain it coherently or logically."

2. Intuitive Insight. "That there is noetic quality in mystic experiences has been pointed out by (William) James...Another name for satori is "kensho" (chien-hsing in Chinese) meaning "to see essence or nature," which apparently proves that there is "seeing" or "perceiving" in satori...Without this noetic quality satori will lose all its pungency, for it is really the reason of satori itself. "

3. Authoritativeness. "By this I mean that the knowledge realized by satori is final, that no amount of logical argument can refute it. Being direct and personal it is sufficient unto itself. All that logic can do here is to explain it, to interpret it in connection to other kinds of knowledge with which our minds are filled. Satori is thus a form of perception, an inner perception, which takes place in the most interior part of consciousness.

4. Affirmation. "What is authoritative and final can never be negative. Though the satori experience is sometimes expressed in negative terms, it is essentially an affirmative attidude towards all things that exist; it accepts them as they come along regardless of their moral values."

5. Sense of the Beyond. "...in satori there is always what we may call a sense of the Beyond; the experience indeed is my own but I feel it to be rooted elsewhere. The individual shell in which my personality is so solidly encased explodes at the moment of satori. Not, necessarily, that I get unified with a being greater than myself or absorbed in it, but that my individuality, which I found rigidly held together and definitely kept separate from other individual existences, becomes lossened somehow from its tightening grip and melts away into something indescribable, something which is of quite a different order from what I am accustomed to. The feeling that follows is htat of complete release or a complete rest---the feeling that one has arrived finally at the destination...As far as the psychology of satori is considered, a sense of the Beyond is all we can say about it; to call this the Beyond, the Absolute, or God, or a Person is to go further than the experience itself and to plunge into a theology or metaphysics."

6. Impersonal Tone. "Perhaps the most remarkable aspect of the Zen experience is that it has no personal note in it as is observable in Christian mystic experiences."

7. Feeling of exaltation. "That this feeling inevitably accompanies satori is due to the fact that it is the breaking-up of the restrction imposed on one as an individual being, and this breaking up is not a mere negative incident but quite a positive one fraught with signification because it means an infinite expansion of the individual."

8. Momentariness. "Satori comes upon one abruptly and is a momentary experience. In fact, if it is not abrupt and momentary, it is not satori.

Source: Suzuki, D.T. Zen Buddhism: Selected Writings of D.T, Suzuki, (New York: Anchor Books, 1956), pp. 103-108.

Mystical experience efined by William James:

America's great psychologist, William James provided a description of the mystical experience in his famous collection of lectures published in 1902 as The Varieties of Religious Experience. In Lectures 16 and 17 he stated:
"...propose to you four marks which, when an experience has them, may justify us in calling it mystical...:
1. Ineffability - The handiest of the marks by which I classify a state of mind as mystical is negative. The subject of it immediately says that it defies expression, that no adequate report of its contents can be given in words.

2. Noetic Quality - Although so similar to states of feeling, mystical states seem to those who experience them to be also states of knowledge. They are states of insight into depths of truth unplumbed by the discurssive intellect. They are illuminations, revelations, full of significance and importance, all inarticulate though they remain; and as a rule they carry with them a curious sense of authority for aftertime.

3. Transiency - Mystical states cannot be sustained for long.

4. Passivity - Although the oncoming of mystical states may be facilitated by preliminary voluntary operations, as by fixing the attention, or going through certain bodily performances, or in other ways which manuals of mysticism prescribe; yet when the characteristic sort of consciousness once has set in, the mystic feels as if his own will were in abeyance, and indeed sometimes as if he were grasped and held by a superior power.

Mystical experience according to W.T. Stace (british philosopher):

Walter Terence Stace is the most frequently quoted expert when defining mysticism. An English-born philosopher, teaching at Princeton (1932–55) Stace wrote on mysticism after his retirement in 1955. His most famous work on this subject, Mysticism and Philosophy (1960), was book of schloarship with less emphasis on the mystical experience than one might assume from the title. Fortunately, in the same year, Stace published a book for general audiences, The Teachings of the Mystics. This publication included Stace's thoughts on mystical experience, a few examples of that experience, and a wide ranging collection of writings on mystical philosophy gathered from the world's literature.
Below are highlights from his introductory chapter in The Teachings of the Mystics. This introduction clearly shows that Stace was a "purist" in that he did not honor beginning or intermediate states people experience along the path to full mystical experience. Visions, voices, insights, or powerful dreams are not mystical experience as he defines it. Only a "nonsensuous and nonintellectual" union fits his definition.

A Mystic is a Mystic
"By the word "mystic" I shall always mean a person who himself has had mystical experience. Often the word is used in a much wider and looser way. Anyone who is sympathetic to mysticism is apt to be labeled a mystic. But I shall use the word always in a stricter sense. However sympathetic toward mysticism a man may be, however deeply interested, involved, enthusiastic, or learned in the subject, he will not be called a mystic unless he has, or has had, mystical experience. (p.9)"
Some things which mysticism is not
"The word mysticism" is popularly used in a variety of loose and inaccurate ways. Sometimes anything is called "mystical" which is misty, foggy, vague, or sloppy. It is absurd that "mysticism" should be associated with what is "misty" because of the similar sound of the words. And there is nothing misty, foggy, vague, or sloppy about mysticism.

A second absurd association is to suppose that mysticism is sort of mystery-mongering. There is, of course, an etymological connection between "mysticism" and "mystery." But mysticism is not any sort of hocus-pocus such as we commonly associate with claims to be the elucidation of sensational mysteries. Mysticism is not the same as what is commonly called the "occult"...Nor doe it include what are commonly called parapsychological phenomena such as telepathy, telekinesis, clairvoyance, precognition. These are not mystical phenomena. It is perhaps true that mystics may sometimes claim to possess such special powers, but even when they do so they are well aware that such powers are not part of, and are to be clearly distinguished from, their mystical experience. (pp.10-11)

Finally, it is most important to realize that visions and voices are not mystical phenomena, though here again it seems to be the case that the sort of persons who are mystics may often be the sort of persons who see visions and hear voices...And there are, one must add, good reasons for this. What mystics say is that a genuine mystical experience is nonsensuous. It is formless, shapeless, colorless, odorless, soundless. But a vision is a piece of visual imagery having color and shape. A voice is an auditory image. Visions and voices are sensuous experiences. (pp. 10-12)"
The Central Characteristic
"The most important, the central characteristic in which all fully developed mystical experiences agree, and which in the last analysis is definitive of them and serves to mark them off from other kinds of experiences, is that they involve the apprehension of an ultimate nonsensuous unity in all things, a oneness or a One to which neither the senses nor the reason can penetrate. In other words, it entirely transcends our sensory-intellectual consciousness.
It should be carefully noted that only fully developed mystical experiences are necessarily apprehensive of the One. Many experiences have been recorded which lack this central feature but yet possess other mystical characteristics. These are borderline cases, which may be said to shade off from the central core of cases. They have to the central core the relation which some philosophers like to call "family resemblance. (pp.14-15)"
Two Types of Mystical Experience
"One may be called extrovertive mystical experience, the other introvertive mystical experience. Both are apprehensions of the One, but they reach it in different ways. The extrovertive way looks outward and through the physical senses into the external world and finds the One there. The introvertive way turns inward, introspectively, and finds the One at the bottoom of the self, at the bottom of human personality. The latter far outweighs the former in importance both in the history of mysticism and in the history of human thought generally. The introvertive way is the major strand in the history of mysticism, the extrovertive way a minor strand.

The extrovertive mystic with his physical senses continues to perceive the same world of trees and hills and tables and chairs as the rest of us. But he sees these objects transfigured in such manner that the Unity shines through them. Because it includes ordinary sense perceptions, it only partially realizes the description...(that is, an experience of complete unity)...It is suggested that the extrovertive type of experience is a kind of halfway house to the introvertive. For the introvertive experience is wholly nonsensuous and nonintellectual. But the extrovertive experience is sensory-intellectual in so far as it still perceives physical objects but is nonsensuous and nonintellectual in so far as it perceives them as "all one."

Introvertive mysticism..."Now it happens to be the case that this total suppression of the whole empirical content of consciousness is precisely what the introvertive mystic claims to achieve. And he claims that what happens is not that all consciousness disappears but that only the ordinary sensory-intellectual consciousnessness disappears and is replaced by an entirely new kind of consciousness, the mystical consciousness." (pp. 15-18)

"Of the introvertive mystical consciousness the Mandukya (Upanishad) says that it is "beyond the senses, beyond the understanding, beyond all expression...It is the pure unitary consciousness, wherein awareness of the world and of multiplicity is completely obliterated. It is ineffable peace. It is the Supreme Good. It is One without a second. It is the Self.""..."Not only in Christianity and Hinduism but everywhere else we find that the essence of this experience is that it is an undifferentiated unity, though each culture and each religion interprets this undifferentiated unity in terms of its own creeds and dogmas." (p.20-21)
Stace, Walter T. The Teachings of the Mystics, (New York:The New American Library, 1960).

Last edited by a moderator:
While there is nothing in these posts other than some vague descriptions (i.e. no evidence etc), is it not more likely that these feelings/sensations/experiences etc are not "mystical" but are caused by nothing other than chemical release / changes in the brain, induced by the meditative state?

Or are you so confident of your understanding of the complexity of the brain that you can categorically state that it isn't?

While there is nothing in these posts other than some vague descriptions (i.e. no evidence etc), is it not more likely that these feelings/sensations/experiences etc are not "mystical" but are caused by nothing other than chemical release / changes in the brain, induced by the meditative state?

What these posts are supposed to show is that the mystical expeirence is identical across cultures. That's it. I have no doubt that meditation causes changes in brain chemistry. There are changes in brain chemistry in schizophrenia and depression as well which cause people to have totally distorted false views of reality. Who says meditation doesn't produce a brain state with a more realistic view of reality? You are neither a neuroscientist or someone that has direct experience with meditation so you are talking out your ass and are drawing conclusion based on what?
Or are you so confident of your understanding of the complexity of the brain that you can categorically state that it isn't?
I didn't make any claims whatsoever except that people have these experiences and self-report that they consider them to be valid experiences that reveal a truth about the universe. I really don't see how brain chemistry proves or disproves anything. All we know about brain chemistry is that some states such as schizophrenia and depression create an unrealistic view of reality, who is to say that there isn't a brain state above our normal one that doesn't create a more realistic view of reality. In my opinion it's pretty clear that there is.

Sarkus-You've never even heard of mystical experiences before I brought them up and now you think you're an expert on them? Go read some books about the subject. Or do you think being totally uneducated on a subject in no way affects your ability to have a realistic assessment? If your interested in the connection between mystic states and Brain Chemistry then I suggest you read "Zen and the Brain" By James Austin Ph.d (it's available from amazon). Austin has a doctorate in Neuroscience and spent time in a Zen monastery, and claims to have have had enlightmnement/mystic experiences, so he's much more of an expert on the subject of Brain chemistry and mystic states then either you or me. To be honest alot of the the neuroscience was way beyond my ability to understand it would take years and years of training to be able to understand it, as would his understanding of mysticism also take years and years of training.

Last edited:
You are neither a neuroscientist or someone that has direct experience with meditation so you are talking out your ass..
Well argued!
Really, that was a such a perfect retort.

Personally I don't care where you think ithe point comes from - my ass, the moon, Oxford University... just argue the points raised - not the source of the points.

Otherwise it is just an appeal to authority.

and are drawing conclusion based on what?
Common sense, intelligence, and a lack of subjective interpretation.
Perhaps you should give it a go?

I didn't make any claims whatsoever...
Except a "Direct Perception of God". :rolleyes:

In my opinion it's pretty clear that there is.
Irrelevant.

Sarkus-You've never even heard of mystical experiences before I brought them up...
Pathetic.

If you know me so well - please feel free to narrate my life story.:rolleyes:

Except a "Direct Perception of God".
Have I demonstrated that there is a mental phenomenon where people cliam to have a direct perception of he tanscendent and that it appears to be consistent across cultures.[/QUOTE]

If you know me so well - please feel free to narrate my life story.:rolleyes:
I didn't claim I know you. I pointed out tin the context of this discussion that you've never heard of mystic experiences before I brought them up (a point you don't dispute) and yet you want to act like you have a totally educated opinion on the subject. You don't you have an uneducated opinion.

Go read at least one book on the subject.

Have I demonstrated that there is a mental phenomenon where people cliam to have a direct perception of he tanscendent and that it appears to be consistent across cultures.
A subjective claim of evidence is a far cry from actual evidence.

I didn't claim I know you. I pointed out tin the context of this discussion that you've never heard of mystic experiences before I brought them up
So you DO claim to know me?

(a point you don't dispute)
When you blatantly don't know me, why should I dispute claims you make about me that are irrelevant to the matter in hand?
Argue against the points raised - not the person.
Otherwise it is an appeal to authority (or the opposite of... the "You've never had experience of it so what you say isn't worth anything" logical fallacy).

Plus, some things just aren't worth responding to.

... and yet you want to act like you have a totally educated opinion on the subject. You don't you have an uneducated opinion.
I have common sense and a reasonably rounded education. It suffices for most things. But obviously not for the highly subjective un-evidenced realms of fantasy.

Again - I ask you for the evidence - yet you say there isn't any, and that there can't be any.
That really should suffice to put this entire sub-debate into the Pseudoscience bin.

The Bible is of absolutely no use and very dangerous in the hands of the unqualified. They use it as an excuse to be irrational, they almost deifnitely (don't understand it as evidenced by their inability to even follow the basics such as don't kill, they are even capable of killing in the name of God.

The undoubtedly it should have been written better. Basically god shouldn't have written the parts commanding people to kill while saying thou shalt not kill. Of course, man is also made in his image and clearly take after him.

If however, the Bible helps someone live a peaceful, moral, life in accordenace with Christ's tachings it may laed them to someday have direct expeience of the transcendent.)

All you've done is taken away everything that seems horrible to you even though it was commanded and written about by the very same being. 'Take your naughty son to town and stone him to death' is as much a command as love thy neighbour, it's just man's morality has outgrown gods.

No voices, quit bringing voices up.

Quit bringing up "mystical experiences" that you clearly cannot define/show to be identical then we have a deal. It works both ways, get it?

Well, I don't know what to make of that if its true. Are you saying it's impossible that a horse with a horn existed

Most certainly not - although there is no evidence to suggest that there were actual horses with horns, (the stories most likely stem from early rhino sightings). The claims are however vastly cross cultural.

Are you saying it's impossible that in the past the were some tribes that had larger individulas than other tribes?

Larger as in what? Serious fanatics like Woody/Visitor and IAC talk of 10 foot tall beings, (they cite some fake claim to giant remains found in Texas and of course the biblical stories regarding goliath). Again, there's no actual evidence to suggest that there was a tribe of 10 foot tall men.

Of course you can argue against the existence of Zeus.

How so? Your earlier arguments stated that I can do no such thing until I am 'qualified' (have direct perception).

No, I have had a consistent argument that I've been trying to demonstrate using reason and where appropriate quotes from philosophers or religion. I haven't merely just said that everything you say is "bollocks." You stated your opinion as fact and I called you on it, period, no hypocrisy.

Sorry, where did I state: "this opinion is fact"? And how can you claim lack of hypocrisy when you've done the same all throughout this thread? The evidence didn't take me long to find, indeed I just scrolled up a few posts.. "Sarkus-You've never even heard of mystical experiences". That is a statement of fact targetted at a person you don't even know. However, this is a pointless argument. Every single human that I'm aware of will give his opinion without having to add "btw, this isn't a fact" at the end of the sentence. So, just to cheer up the petty amongst us: you're talking bollocks, (my opinion). Happy now? :bugeye:

I shall always mean a person who himself has had mystical experience.

While I appreciate the time spent copy/pasting, that's not what I was asking for - which is why I mentioned the misunderstanding earlier. I want an example of a mystical experience. However, what I did gather from reading all of that was..

"no adequate report of its contents can be given in words."

So why are we even talking about it?

However.. to show some difference, (thus removing the statement "identical"):

"Perhaps the most remarkable aspect of the Zen experience is that it has no personal note in it as is observable in Christian mystic experiences."

See, the experience differs from person to person, place to place - just like people that hear voices. The basics are the same, (people have an experience they would describe as mystical/people hear voices), which is why I pointed out the connection. The actual details differ.

While I appreciate the time spent copy/pasting, that's not what I was asking for - which is why I mentioned the misunderstanding earlier. I want an example of a mystical experience. However, what I did gather from reading all of that was..

"no adequate report of its contents can be given in words."
Can you give an adequate description of what things look like to a blind person. Describe the color blue to a blind person. ANd that's the only thing you gathered? Out of lists, the shortest of which was 4, you zero in on 1.

However.. to show some difference, (thus removing the statement "identical"):

"Perhaps the most remarkable aspect of the Zen experience is that it has no personal note in it as is observable in Christian mystic experiences."
Hmm, I didn't know D.T. made that claim. I would point out that all the Christian mystics I have read have stated that the sense of self must be lost in order to perceive God: such as when St. Theresa of Avila says "Forget the self." So, I don't know where Suzuki got that. However seeing as Japanese is his native language I don't think it is implausible that he misinterpreted some of the symbolic language that religous writers sometimes use. But so what? the experiences are overwhelmingly similiar, everyone who has studied the subject agrees on this.
See, the experience differs from person to person, place to place - just like people that hear voices. The basics are the same, (people have an experience they would describe as mystical/people hear voices), which is why I pointed out the connection. The actual details differ.
No, the actual details don't differ. Your picking out one little comment by a scholar who did reearch not in his native language. Anyone that reads those lists can see its the same experience. Your constant comparison to hearing voices just shows how biased you are because you are a psychologist and are trying to fit all mental phenomenon outside of normal waking reality as it is experienced by the mass of humanity from day to day as being comparable to psychosis. What do you mean you want an example of a mystical experience? Now I have to go digging around the fucking internet finding descriptions of peoples enlightenment experiences from different faiths for you? Here read this: http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/mcb/mcb03.htm. Let me know when you're done and I'll give you another one.

Can you give an adequate description of what things look like to a blind person.

No, I'm not blind. However, a blind person should be able to; (i.e I can't see anything). Why even ask the question? It goes without saying that I am not going to be able to describe an experience someone else has.. the issue here is that they claim they can't describe it, in which case discussing it is pointless.

ANd that's the only thing you gathered? Out of lists, the shortest of which was 4, you zero in on 1

No, it merely served to point out the worthlessness of this whole issue. You claim it's "identical" and yet they can't even explain the experience. Seeings as they cannot explain the experience how would you ever be able to claim that they're all identical?

So, I don't know where Suzuki got that. However seeing as Japanese is his native language I don't think it is implausible that he misinterpreted some of the symbolic language that religous writers sometimes use. But so what?

Ah, the minute I point out something that argues against your claims it's because of misinterpretation from the guy that made the statement in some text you used to try and make a point? Lol.

the experiences are overwhelmingly similiar, everyone who has studied the subject agrees on this.

Now now, stop giving your opinion and trying to make it look like a fact :bugeye: Do you know "everyone" that has studied the subject? (of course the guy you quoted would disagree with you - he states that you can't describe it in which case you wouldn't know if they were similar or not.. oh wait, he misinterpreted lol). I notice you've also changed tact again - from identical to merely similar. Why do that?

No, the actual details don't differ. Your picking out one little comment by a scholar who did reearch not in his native language.

But aside from that minor fudge up, the rest of his research in English is perfectly fine? If you think he's in error, why apply it only to the one sentence that goes against your claims?

Anyone that reads those lists can see its the same experience.

Unless of course they read the sentence that states they're not. Oh wait, that's clearly wrong because it goes against your claims. Lol.

Further to which, given that the experience is indescribable, we'd have no way of confirming your claim.

Your constant comparison to hearing voices just shows how biased you are because you are a psychologist and are trying to fit all mental phenomenon outside of normal waking reality as it is experienced by the mass of humanity from day to day as being comparable to psychosis.

A) Don't talk to me about bias (that parts wrong, the guy can't speak English!! I only say this because it goes against my claim). Lol.

B) I use 'hearing voices' because much like your claim, the experience is the same, (every single person 'afflicted'.. hears voices). Of course at least those that hear voices can describe the actual experience, your guys can't.. apparently.. unless that's just another example of their bad English?

What do you mean you want an example of a mystical experience? Now I have to go digging around the fucking internet finding descriptions of peoples enlightenment experiences from different faiths for you?

You don't have to do anything. Besides which, you wouldn't need to go round the whole internet looking for experiences from different faiths because apparently all the experiences are "identical". As a result you'd only need to point out one. Pick the first site that you come to and that, apparently, settles that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back