To all Catholics

DefSkeptic....

Around the world there are several different images of Christ which conform to the image of the race in this or that culture. If there are Christians in Japan, for example, you're going to get images of Christ with slanted eyes and black hair; if in Africa, he'll be negro; etc. The common tradition of Christianity has been European; and thus, many images of Christ are represented in this way. As a matter of fact, the Msgr. of my parish is quite aware of this--resulting in our crucifix upon which Christ has been sculpted with a more ascetic, "Semitic" look.

Last edited:
Kant, Xlock,

Hope you don’t my butting in for a moment.

faith in something is absolutely first before reason.
Why? One can simply suspend belief until evidence becomes available. There is never a need to use faith for anything.

What one must have faith in is the fact that reason itself is good enough to discern anything at all.
Still not true. There is plenty of evidence to show that reason achieves truth. I would use reason because it has proved itself in past usage. Faith has no such pedigree.

in some instances, certain people might have been closer or further away from Jesus and heard different things and arrived at different conclusions about what "exactly" was said.
But the bible doesn’t state that these might have been the words that an alleged Jesus spoke. The verses are offered as gospel ‘truth’ and the word of God. If these words are in doubt and might or might not have been said, then what of all the other alleged sayings of the Christian gods?

No historical record can be absolutely accurate unless someone is there at every moment transcribing as what might go on in a courtroom.
Then there can be no claim that the bible is accurate and infallible then. Aren’t you therefore admitting that the bible must be inconsistent and/or inaccurate in many areas?

I beg to differ that--whether atheist or Christian or whatever--faith in something is absolutely first before reason. What one must have faith in is the fact that reason itself is good enough to discern anything at all. What if you're a loon? You would never know...and physical diagnosis doesn't matter: you're in you're own little mad world. In order to use reason at all I must first have faith in the idea that my reason can discover any truths about objective reality at all.

You have a few problems here. First, you are attempting to rescue faith by using a different definition from that which is used by religion. Faith in the above context is equivalent to confidence, I am confident in my abilities to use reason due to the continued successful use of my mind during my life. This confidence is therefore a reasonable conciousness. Faith in its religious context is a belief in the supernatural without, or in spite of, proof. It is not a reason-based confidence by which one believes on faith.

Second, you are ignoring the fact that reason, by definition, is a rational ground that supports a given conclusion. Faith is not a prerequisite of reason. I quote american academic Richard Robinson: "The only alternatives to thinking with reason are thinking unreasonably and not thinking."

Thirdly, you attempt to force a subjective definition of reason on the readers. However, reason is not subjective. It is that which has sufficient proof and rationale to support a given conclusion and is independently verifiable. Of course we should expect you to attempt usage of the antique Subjectivism of Immanuel Kan given your username. And so I quote Immanuel Kant: "(I) found it necessary to deny knowledge of God... in order to find a place for faith."

I don't think so. Again, just because something is an irrational happenstance does not mean that it is necessarily untrue.

I did not say that all irrational belief is necessarily untrue. However, it is arbitrary and unworthy of belief by a rational human being. Until there is reason to support a conclusion, there is no reason to believe it. So my statement holds, using irrational arguments, combined or uncombined with rational ones, leads to an irrational conclusion regardless of the conclusion's truth. Of course this assumes that the irrational statements are required for the given conclusion because if not, there is no reason to include them at all.

Why can't there still be a god of lightning who is causing the physical processes of lightning to occur?

Please tell me you didn't just say that. You are simply proving my point about faith -- one may introduce any arbitrary, unsupported idea that they want as fact. Simply, a god of lightning is irrational. Any whimsical idea such as this is unfounded and is not to be considered until valid proof is presented. The burden of proof lies entirely on the person who makes such a claim -- you cannot prove a negative. Care to try? Tell my why there can't be an invisible giant pink elephant, lifted into the air by invisible yellow fairies, that in turn lifts Boeing 747's into the air when the airlines transport people.

Call me an old-timer, but the field of "reasoning" includes all areas of knowledge including metaphysics, ethics, and law. There are many areas of reasoning which have nothing to do with natural sciences, but with theoretical science--e.g., theology, astrophysics.

Yes, reason is employed by the truthfull theoretical astrophysicist. Reason is also employed by the atheistic theologian. However, a religious theologian, in the same manner as an astrophysicist claiming the stars are holes in a shell enclosing the Earth just before "heaven", is irrational.

Again, anyone who wholly rejects their reason is not being religious; rather they are choosing to be only half-human...if not, then, animal--less than human. The reason behind most failures to understand religion is just that: they don't "understand" it--if they did, they couldn't deny it. For the True Faith is insurmountably reasonable.

It is quite the opposite, anyone who does not wholly reject reason is not being religious. A reasonable person cannot accept anything by faith (in the religious sense), as that would be to abandon reason. If you look at history, religion has always been the enemy of reason. From the Catholic Church's treatment of people like Galileo, to Martin Luther's famous statement: "Reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed. Faith must trample underfoot all reason, sense, and understanding, and whatever it sees must be put out of sight and ... know nothing but the word of God." Religion is not, and never has been "the fulfillment of reason."

does it really "matter"? Your example is not an inconsistency; it is simply the problem of stories being handed down by word of mouth. Or, in some instances, certain people might have been closer or further away from Jesus and heard different things and arrived at different conclusions about what "exactly" was said.

For the people infallibility of the bible, yes, this simple example destroys their claim. I agree, this is the problem of stories being handed down by word of mouth. However, what gives you the authority to claim that this is a false section of the bible, but other parts of your decision are not? If you cannot hold the bible as truth in whole, then any partial truths one attempts to glean from the text is another arbitrary selection (unless proven reasonably). Certainly if the three supposed "people" attributed to writing these sections by religious people are wrong about something as simple as what Jesus said on the cross then they could be wrong about talking bushes, revelations in their dreams, and any other countless irrational claims. And regardless of how you like this example, I provided a link to many others that you may read.

Just don't call yourself a "thinker" -- you employ irrational claims that go against thinking and reason.

Cris, you again!

Why? One can simply suspend belief until evidence becomes available. There is never a need to use faith for anything.

How about this: you have faith in the fact that "there is never a need to use faith for anything."

There is plenty of evidence to show that reason achieves truth. I would use reason because it has proved itself in past usage. Faith has no such pedigree.

Yes, but is reason infallible? Why has faith no such pedigree? because it is not reason, is that why?

But the bible doesn’t state that these might have been the words that an alleged Jesus spoke. The verses are offered as gospel ‘truth’ and the word of God. If these words are in doubt and might or might not have been said, then what of all the other alleged sayings of the Christian gods?

The bible does state that these might have been the words that Jesus spoke; it is even presupposed in the fact that anything was ever written down or passed along in the first place. Why could they not have all been said? Perhaps disciple X went off and prayed while Jesus said such and such a phrase on the cross and that was what he last heard, and disciple Y, who decided to stick around, heard what Jesus actually did say last.

Then there can be no claim that the bible is accurate and infallible then. Aren’t you therefore admitting that the bible must be inconsistent and/or inaccurate in many areas?

No. I think you were taking me out of context. I was saying that many of the stories were probably passed down by word of mouth; it might be safe to say that many of those who really knew the story and witnessed it were illiterate fishermen. It may not have been until they transferred the information to scholars and lawyers and what-have-you later on that everything was written down. But if I do not trust the word of mouth history, why should I trust my co-worker who told me that he went on vacation last weekend with his family? Or why should I believe it when someone tells me about the events of Sept. 11, 2001 if I was in Uganda at the time and didn't have a television handy?

Anyway, it's not the document that's fallible, it's the people who interpret it that are fallible. The bible is only as good as the people who read it. So if they're reading it wrong, it conveys the wrong message; and then it ceases to be the word of God: it is, at that point, the word of man.

Just don't call yourself a "thinker" -- you employ irrational claims that go against thinking and reason.

I should think that if I am capable of living and breathing and writing, I must be a thinker.

That I "employ irrational claims that go against thinking and reason" is not your conclusion, you understand. It is your First Premise. Pardon my psychology--but excuse me, it isn't psychology, because I am ignorant--but you deny reason because you have already decided what you do not believe in, just as I have decided what I believe in. It makes one wonder what purpose a man has for possessing the faculty of "belief"--is there no reason for it? What I am saying is, your claims that my claims are "irrational" are based on little more than your presupposition that I am wrong. Truth leads where it will. I once heard it put this way, "If the world is a fishbowl, the natural sciences are the study of the inside of that fishbowl. Saying that 'the inside of the fishbowl exists' does not disprove the possibility that 'the outside of the fishbowl exists'."

Thank you, gents. I've sunk deeper than the meter for which I sought to dive. Maybe I'll post sometime next week on a different thread.

to DefSkeptic...again

In the bible Jesus is not portrayed in any race, it was the artist and being an artist myself and studying art, we are more right brained then left, in other words some don't look at the truth they look in the mirror. So truely it's stupid that your saying someone portrayed him as being "white" when it was only the artist. No one other then artist portrayed Jesus as being "white". Look in history and other artist, Jesus and the Virgin Mother have also beeen portrayed as Asain, Afican American, Latino, and quiet many other races. And to most of you, step back don't get into this so much, don't waste your life behind a computer fighting about faith, some of you just want to be asses, but be asseson your own time and don't waste mine and other people who have faith.

Kant we all....

First, I want to make sure you see my post right above your last one (we replied at the same time).

Second, faith is not a secondary method of aquiring knowledge. By definition faith is that which is accepted without proof. Once sufficient proof is present, it is accepted on reason, not faith. You cannot accept something on both faith and reason. So again, anything accepted on faith is unreasonable.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks. And that goes for both of us. If you'll be a philosopher, you'll accept one thing: one of us is right, and one of us is wrong. No gray area, that is to say. I'm not a politician.

Kant we all...

I once heard it put this way, "If the world is a fishbowl, the natural sciences are the study of the inside of that fishbowl. Saying that 'the inside of the fishbowl exists' does not disprove the possibility that 'the outside of the fishbowl exists'."

It does not disprove the possibility that 'the outside of the fishbowl exists' because that was not its intent. Lack of proof that something doesn't exist is not sufficient reason for the belief that something does exist.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks. And that goes for both of us.

I have not "decided what I believe in" and discredit you on that basis. Unlike what you have shown thus far, I am reasonable. Give me sufficient reason to believe what you believe and I will.

Thank you, gents. I've sunk deeper than the meter for which I sought to dive. Maybe I'll post sometime next week on a different thread.

You haven't responded to the body of my post, just the last line in which I was just mimicking your post. Please consider it before you leave this thread.

No, I've considered it. Let me be honest and say that I can't respond...at least not right now. I have more important things to take care of; that's not meant to be insulting or arrogant, just honest. But for that first part,

Lack of proof that something doesn't exist is not sufficient reason for the belief that something does exist.

Fine. However, philosophers cease to be philosophers if they dismiss the possibility. Metaphysics leaves no question unasked...even the most ridiculous.

Anyway, again, I'm finished and tired. I would suggest a book, if you're as open as you say you are: "Socrates Meets Jesus"-- by Peter Kreeft (Dr Kreeft is a professor of philosophy @ Boston College). Just remember: one of us is right, and the other one is wrong. That is really all I care for you to know from my hand.

Kant we all,

How about this: you have faith in the fact that "there is never a need to use faith for anything.".
I think you mean “my claim”. If you think it is a fact already then we are done.

Whether one believes based on faith is a personal choice.

There are always 1 or 2 alternatives to believing on faith – (1) not to believe, (2) believe based on evidence.

It follows then that there is never a need to believe based on faith when alternatives are available.

My claim is therefore based on reason and not faith.

Kant we all,

Yes, but is reason infallible? Why has faith no such pedigree? because it is not reason, is that why?
Reason provides a process for the determination of truth. Faith has no such process so it is not possible to know whether using faith achieves truth or not. But faith can achieve truth through making a lucky guess. The question should not be about whether reason is infallible but whether truth is a likely result. When faith is used you simply don’t know.

Why could they not have all been said? Perhaps disciple X went off and prayed while Jesus said such and such a phrase on the cross and that was what he last heard, and disciple Y, who decided to stick around, heard what Jesus actually did say last.
It’s a nice idea but you are simply using your imagination without recourse to any facts. The context of these texts is allegedly the narration of the same incident. We also know that the bulk of the gospels are derived primarily from the first Gospel (Mark), and then embellishments were added presumably to make the stories more ‘enjoyable/attractive’. Objective reporting was a rarity 2000 years ago, and even today with our high technology it is not as common as it should. The gospels do not appear to be historical records but stories written and shared by the mythmakers of the time. The concept myth of the dying Jesus was clear but what he might have said would be down to the imagination of the mythmakers.

But if I do not trust the word of mouth history, why should I trust my co-worker who told me that he went on vacation last weekend with his family?
Yes indeed why would you? Perhaps you have some first hand evidence that your co-worker usually tells the truth. You cannot say the same thing about questionable incidents 2000 years ago.

Or why should I believe it when someone tells me about the events of Sept. 11, 2001 if I was in Uganda at the time and didn't have a television handy?
The evidence of numerous trustworthy sources. But there are none from 2000 years ago.

The bible is only as good as the people who read it. So if they're reading it wrong, it conveys the wrong message; and then it ceases to be the word of God: it is, at that point, the word of man.
But isn’t the point that we have no way to know how to read it correctly when it contains glaringly obvious inconsistencies that it doesn’t explain.

I think that I'll step in here again to offer my own opinions, whether you like it or not hahaha.

There are three main topics to which I shall direct mine own efforts to right now, excuse me for being a bit behind.

Firstly, some have proclaimed that "Faith isn't rational, so get use to it," I must disagree with this statement. Religion as I have come to know it does include the use of reason. It is not unreasonable to suggest that we were intentionally put here by some divine being that to have been created (against all odds) by chance and evolution. For example, wouldn't you agree that every ten million years or so a natural disaster occurs which erases most of the advanced lifeforms of the earth? If you'll agree to that then I must state that the super-advanced structures of the human body (i.e. eyes) couldn't have evolved in such a sort amount of time. If you wish to see more examples of using reason alongside faith take the major example of the man who did this, St. Thomas Aquinas. Furthermore, those who wish to debate on this subject matter can, and I fully support them and joyed to see others just as excited with their faith. Yet I shall just say that let us not assume that our lives have been worse off or that some person's faith is lacking, that's all I'm going to say about that one. :)

Secondly, razz once said that "Hate is an emotion..... Love is an emotion..... Both are chemical reactions designed to help you and your species survive ..... what more bloody proof do you want ? dont believe me ...... go to.. www.google.com" His point being that these emotions help us to survive, which is rather rideiculous. So tell me razz if I didn't have the emotion of envy or love I (nor the entire human race for that matter) couldn't survive? What use is there for love anyway? We could easily just have lust in it's place, I'm sure we could survive as a species then. What of depression, people kill themselves, kill themselves! Just to get some release from that emotion, how does that help our species survive? Your argument and your link are totally irrevalent.

Finally, I would like to address the notion that there is no physical evidence that a God exists. I can only answer this with my own personal opinion on the subject matter, that to see evidence of God one must only open there eyes.

Re: I can't believe this

Originally posted by beautyisonlyskindeep
I am Catholic, I was raised Catholic and still am Catholic. It's pathetic to read this

I admire your tenacity in your faith and applaud your conviction BUT you must also see that others cannot and will not agree with your doctrine. I was raised in the Catholic religion, went to a Catholic school and received the hellfire and brimstone indoctrination that these teachers inpaled in our minds. And, yes, it was indoctrination!! There was not leeway for free thought and questions. This is the main reason I rebelled and questioned what were MY beliefs as opposed to the brainwashing of relious education in Catholic schools. I soon came to realise that everything was not as cut and dried as my teachers tried to imply. We are free thinking people who can make up our own minds about the origins of "everything" - I have my belief now and you have yours. Fair play to you for what you think is right but please don't post a message implying that we are ALL wrong because we do not agree with your opinion. Such is the land of the free debate. At least you did not fall into the trap of freely quoting from the bible. For that your to be applauded and I actually did read your post whereas I don't nomally bother if they are full of biblical quotations.

Beautyisonlyskindeep-

In the bible Jesus is not portrayed in any race, it was the artist and being an artist myself and studying art, we are more right brained then left, in other words some don't look at the truth they look in the mirror.

This brings up the point I was getting to. See, you cant trust people to correctly portray Jesus, so do you possibly think that the Bible wasnt molded and twisted around also? I mean the bible was written by people................Couldnt trust them to get a proper portrayal of Jesus, so why do you think the bible would be free from personal agendas?

Cris,

This is totally off the subject, but I know you're a computer person and I was wondering if you knew of any good, FREE devices that can be downloaded from the Internet to obliterate the damned pop-up ads.

If you have anything to offer, I greatly appreciate it.

Ciao.

beautyisonlyskindeep-

So truely it's stupid that your saying someone portrayed him as being "white" when it was only the artist.

No, whats stupid is this comment you made. Someone did portray him as "white" and that would be the artist. People cannot get a first hand glance at living/breathing Jesus, so they rely on images and statues, and artists are the ones that really count to portray the subject correctly, because their work will be seen by many.

And to most of you, step back don't get into this so much, don't waste your life behind a computer fighting about faith, some of you just want to be asses, but be asseson your own time and don't waste mine and other people who have faith.

Translation.................Its hurts my brain to think, so stop making good points, let me wither away with my ignorance.

DefSkeptic,

Personal agendas? Tell me, do people allow themselves to be slaughtered for nothing? There was no conspiracy. If there was, then those earlier, martyred Christians must have been well trained to take the pain: for no one "cracked"--no one confessed that the whole story was a lie. We would assume that the fishermen of Galilee ca. 40 AD did not have the training of a U.S. agent for the CIA.

Most people crack under such pressure as being roasted on a grid iron (St. Lawrence) and let the cat out of the bag. But either these people were ALL INSANE (statistically unlikely) or there was a supernatural conviction which not even they had control over.

DefSkeptic:

I think you ought to take it easy on beautyisonlyskindeep. He (or she) is only a kid, after all. It would not be very fair to put Webster in an intellectual debate with David Hume.

Originally posted by Kant we all...
Cris,

This is totally off the subject, but I know you're a computer person and I was wondering if you knew of any good, FREE devices that can be downloaded from the Internet to obliterate the damned pop-up ads.

If you have anything to offer, I greatly appreciate it.

Ciao.

Don't know where you live but try cnet.com or zdnet.com

Back