Time Magazine Dawkins, Collins debate.

You tell me Sam. I have already said why. As James has also pointed out, when questioned, the answer is usually to point the finger at those of the 'other religion'. Groups are set up and separated along religious lines and each wish to be in control.

I think you'll find that although they are divided along religious lines, its not religion they are fighting over.

http://the-american-interest.com/contd/?p=577

http://www.exile.ru/2004-May-27/war_nerd.html

http://www.mediamonitors.net/mashaikh2.html

Last edited:
I'm saying they are divided along religious lines by people external to the country, with vested interests in the outcome.

Oh I am not denying they were divided that way by outside forces. The same as in India. The colonialists just loved dividing along religious lines. But the conflict that exists at present is based along religious lines. Dividing them only added to the mistrust and distrust and time and minor conflicts have built up until it has become what we see today. Would the same have happened had they not been divided? Probably yes. Religions like to group together into their little quarters. You have ethnic quarters and within those, you have religious quarters.

And the religion that controls the resources, controls the country. Outside sources picking sides also does not help matters much, but in Sudan, we have gone beyond the point of picking sides and should have helped to prevent the genocide.

But even if we had, the hatred amongst the different religious groups would keep on festering.

GeoffP said:
The oppression of non-muslims in islamic countries? What diamonds are they fighting over? What resource is at issue?
The oppression goes both ways Geoff. This is not about Islam, not is it about denigrating Islam. This is about religion in general (encompassing all religions). In fact, this is about the original article and Dawkins book.

Oh I am not denying they were divided that way by outside forces. The same as in India. The colonialists just loved dividing along religious lines. But the conflict that exists at present is based along religious lines. Dividing them only added to the mistrust and distrust and time and minor conflicts have built up until it has become what we see today. Would the same have happened had they not been divided? Probably yes. Religions like to group together into their little quarters. You have ethnic quarters and within those, you have religious quarters.

And the religion that controls the resources, controls the country. Outside sources picking sides also does not help matters much, but in Sudan, we have gone beyond the point of picking sides and should have helped to prevent the genocide.

But even if we had, the hatred amongst the different religious groups would keep on festering.

You might find that what political groups claim is often different from what the people actually think.

And if not, you'll find that the people who think "they" are out to get you are being misled by the political groups. If it can happen in a First World country, why do you think it would be any different in a Third World insecure people?

The oppression goes both ways Geoff. This is not about Islam, not is it about denigrating Islam. This is about religion in general (encompassing all religions). In fact, this is about the original article and Dawkins book.

Well, I'd agree with your position, except that there's relatively little oppression of minority religions by other groups. I don't necessarily take issue with religion per se, or even organized religion, but I do agree that when they intrude into humanitarian issues that they need to be stopped. Islam, I regret to say, is the man of the hour in that sense.

Back