Votes: 44 62.0%
  • Believe

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Know

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Other

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters
I can remember the all-round disappointment when "Lobsang Rampa" was exposed as a plumber's son from Plympton. He'd been "required reading" for anyone that wanted to be "cool" at my school.

Yup, fiction published and pushed as fact. But nothing in the book other than the story itself. I had hoped for an addendum that "explained" how he could validate his experiences, but nope. Other than the sentence stating he'd thought he was dreaming and realised he was awake the whole thing might as well have been a dream.
Waste of time.
And harder to refute categorically since he leaves his claims unsupported. You can't argue effectively against "it happened this way and all I'm going to give as *evidence* is the story itself".
Annoying...

A plumber's son from Plympton.
Of no value then.
A tradesman's son.

How could the son of a plumber, or of a carpenter, say, ever change the world?

Very cute. ;)

However, are you implying that this book (the one in the OP) is as worthy of a good read as biblical texts? From any vantage point whatsoever? For real?

Could you give me an example of a passage you consider noteworthy?
(Seriously, as I have not read the book, only excerpts found in the first few pages of this thread.)

A plumber's son from Plympton.
Of no value then.
A tradesman's son.

Ho ho. Nice catch.

Have you read the books?
They were, supposedly, the autobiography of a Buddhist monk and detailed many "paranormal experiences".
The disappointment therefore was that the books were exposed as a complete fantasy, written by a guy who'd never been anywhere near Tibet.

Message?

Instruction? Knowledge? Meaning?

What you need is an education.

Can you provide me with one single example of something in the book that wasn't previously known and has since been shown to be true or real? Anything at all?
You are asking for something that you cannot understand. so whats the point?

You are asking for something that you cannot understand. so whats the point?
In other words, as usual, you can't provide anything at all.
You'd rather stick with blind, uncritical belief. And here you are, telling me to think for myself... :rolleyes:

And I'm NOT asking for something I can't understand: I'm asking you to point out something in the book that is true but wasn't known before the book was published. E.g. something that the book has revealed to be actually true.
It's a simple request.
Well, it would be if there really were any validity to the book.

In other words, as usual, you can't provide anything at all.
You'd rather stick with blind, uncritical belief. And here you are, telling me to think for myself... :rolleyes:

And I'm NOT asking for something I can't understand: I'm asking you to point out something in the book that is true but wasn't known before the book was published. E.g. something that the book has revealed to be actually true.
It's a simple request.
Well, it would be if there really were any validity to the book.

SIMPLE
Most of what is written in the book is already known. Information is not a competition. And why did you say the book is invalid in fact from your statement it seems valid. Have you miss your own point??

SIMPLE
Most of what is written in the book is already known.
Or a fantasy.
"Most"? So what's in the book that isn't "already known"?

Information is not a competition.
If the book provides nothing that isn't already known then what is it in the book that gives it any credibility as a "revelation"?

And why did you say the book is invalid in fact from your statement it seems valid. Have you miss your own point??
My own point? Please show me exactly where I have said, or even implied, that the book is at all valid.
I'm interested in seeing where you failed to read correctly.

My own point? Please show me exactly where I have said, or even implied, that the book is at all valid.
I'm interested in seeing where you failed to read correctly.
The whole content is valid. it is so simple. Now can you point out those claims that seems so invalid.

The whole content is valid.
And another hand-waving claim while ignoring my questions:

So what's in the book that isn't "already known"?

Now can you point out those claims that seems so invalid.
Which part of "fantasy", "lies", "contradicts known facts" did you not understand?
I've stated this enough times by now, I would have thought.

And another hand-waving claim while ignoring my questions:

Which part of "fantasy", "lies", "contradicts known facts" did you not understand?
I've stated this enough times by now, I would have thought.

Ok this is based from your post [418] http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2752939&postcount=418.

At this instant, time has stopped for you, and you could remain here
twenty or fifty of your Earthly years and then return as if you hadn’t left. Your
physical body would remain absolutely unchanged.

something wrong with this? I told you, you wont understand this.

Ok this is based from your post [418] http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2752939&postcount=418.

At this instant, time has stopped for you, and you could remain here twenty or fifty of your Earthly years and then return as if you hadn’t left. Your physical body would remain absolutely unchanged.

something wrong with this?
Of course there's something wrong with it. Did you bother to read the entire post where I pointed out how ridiculous the claim was?
If time was stopped how did anything happen?

I told you, you wont understand this.
You did. But on the other hand you also haven't actually explained what there is to understand.

That quote is pure bullshit. It is insupportable from any point of view other than an unthinking, uninformed and totally gullible one. It makes no sense whatsoever.
If you think otherwise go ahead and explain it. Or simply just explain how you think it works.

And, because you obviously didn't see these the two previous times I posted them:

Of course there's something wrong with it. Did you bother to read the entire post where I pointed out how ridiculous the claim was?
If time was stopped how did anything happen?

You did. But on the other hand you also haven't actually explained what there is to understand.

That quote is pure bullshit. It is insupportable from any point of view other than an unthinking, uninformed and totally gullible one. It makes no sense whatsoever.
If you think otherwise go ahead and explain it. Or simply just explain how you think it works.

And, because you obviously didn't see these the two previous times I posted them:
Why are you so bothered by beliefs or ideas that you dont understand? why not learn those things that are meant for you level of understanding?

Why are you so bothered by beliefs or ideas that you dont understand?
And you're assuming again.

why not learn those things that are meant for you level of understanding?
:roflmao:
You really are funny, you know that?
You keep claiming that I don't understand yet you consistently fail to do anything other than say "I believe it". You can't explain what it means, even to yourself, let alone what it actually means.
This is the hallmark of the classic woo woo. You believe it because you want to believe it.
And as soon as anyone asks rational questions you resort to "Well you aren't clever enough to understand".

So, one more time:
Or simply just explain how you think it works. (The quoted claim).

And, for the 4th time:

Your repeated inanities are interresting.
As is the fact that you have made a claim you can't substantiate. (Which would lead me to the opinion that you can't read very well). Maybe that explains your belief in this ridiculous book.
And the constant hand-waving instead of answering questions.

With regard to the linked post, I have asked for your explanation. And this, too, seems to be beyond your capabilities.

Relax yourself, focus only to those belief or ideas that are meant for your understanding:rolleyes:
Another woo woo avoidance.

As is the fact that you have made a claim you can't substantiate. (Which would lead me to the opinion that you can't read very well). Maybe that explains your belief in this ridiculous book.
And the constant hand-waving instead of answering questions.

With regard to the linked post, I have asked for your explanation. And this, too, seems to be beyond your capabilities.

Another woo woo avoidance.
The truth and answers are all within us. It is not written on something or proved by something. Is this to difficult for you to understand? And I already have so much reply about this and still you dont get it dont you? I am on this thread to share that the book is valid. thats all. Im not forcing anybody or YOU to believe it.

The truth and answers are all within us.
Pure supposition.

It is not written on something or proved by something.
So why defend the book?

Is this to difficult for you to understand?
Because it's not true.

And I already have so much reply about this and still you dont get it dont you?
Yes, you have replied. Unfortunately your replies have been bland assertions, devoid of content AND meaning.

I am on this thread to share that the book is valid. thats all. Im not forcing anybody or YOU to believe it.
Yet the book, as has been shown, is not at all valid.

And I note that, once again, you have failed to provide any explanation. Bearing in mind Feynman's quote "If you can't explain something to a first year student, then you haven't really understood it" I am led to believe that your "understanding" of this book is nothing more than a "gut feeling" (i.e. unsupported/ unsubstantiated belief) as opposed to understanding.

In other words you're promoting something that you yourself don't understand, you just happen to "think it's true".

Back