There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life

What's so ridiculous about time being infinite?

Uh... because it is impossible.

Sure, it might go on forever now that we have some, but it can not stretch into an infinite past. If it did... how did we get to this very moment? Was it after an infinite number of "seconds" or "minutes" or "femto-seconds" or whatever has transpired?

Obviously not. An infinite number of time, no matter how you divide it up, can not have ALREADY gone by. There would always be at least one more time-unit to go!

If it did... how did we get to this very moment? Was it after an infinite number of "seconds" or "minutes" or "femto-seconds" or whatever has transpired?

It could be argued that the moment always existed, therefore not needing a "beginning."

Some species are simple clones that do not evolve (not totally sure about that, they could still mutate, if they evolve, they do so very slowly), but for most types of living things, such a strategy would lead to certain death when their environmental niche played out. Probably what happened is that both types of strategies existed, and the ability to evolve was the clear winner.

Hah heres a quote to consider next time you use the word impossible.

If someone says: "Thats impossible." You should understand it as: "According to my very limited experience and narrow understanding of reality, that's very unlikely."

But anyway the Christians have launched a response campaign!

6a00d83451da9669e2010537130141970b-320wi

http://richarddawkins.net/article,3581,n,n

Haha so the Christians get all upset when Atheists say "probably no god" then they come right around and say "There definitely is a God."
I cannot believe how ignorant fundies are.

This is an interesting point. I was a Christian and I learned how to stop worrying and enjoy my life. Now, i've removed God from the equation. I have found that I worry even less and am equipped to deal with situations better. I am also more caring about others than myself.

As a Christian you get so tied up into how your own spiritual walk is, that you forget others. Which really is counterproductive to the being a Christian anyway.

It is almost as if Christianity was my cure, and i'm better now, so it would be only harmful to continue taking my medicine?

Check out my thread on religion as a cure. I think your point hits home to what I am trying to say there.
so IOW your experience as an ex-christian is sufficient to contextualize anyone's experience as a theist?

Oh my goodness, that's England correct? Well, I wish they brought that banner here in NY. It would be hilarious.

Funny thing, one of the reasons I became interested in God is because I saw how Christians were able to stop worrying and enjoy their lives. This was a big contrast to the non-believers I'd spent much of my life around.

I'd say the slogan is aimed at atheist/agnostics. Seems a bit of a waste to me.

Absurd. Most christians worry more & enjoy life less than most atheists.

For instance, I can't look at the Flagellar Motor and it's 40 some components that are required for it's operation and pretend that it's a completely random chance that they all fell to gether in such a manner. That would be like throwing a deck of cards and having them land face up in matching suits starting from smallest number to the largest.
Ain't happening.

Absurd. Throw a deck of cards enough times & that WILL happen.

Probability, my friend. The complex patterns and recognizable specifications found throughout genetic code are destroying idea of life's origin being that of chance. Smarter men than you and I (atheists, no less) are deserting the theory every day.

If that is too complex to happen by chance, gods are even more unlikely to happen by chance.

But infinite time in a syntropic system would allow for all possibilities and all variations to manifest eventually.
That means there would be a parallel universe where you didn't eat that cookie last night after dinner but everything before that was exactly the same.
This would make clusteringflux's Flagellar Motor not only chance but also inevitable.

No. That would make it inevitable yet not by chance.

so IOW your experience as an ex-christian is sufficient to contextualize anyone's experience as a theist?

He didn't say or imply that. As usual you put a weird warped wacko twist on others' comments.

“ Originally Posted by clusteringflux
For instance, I can't look at the Flagellar Motor and it's 40 some components that are required for it's operation and pretend that it's a completely random chance that they all fell to gether in such a manner. That would be like throwing a deck of cards and having them land face up in matching suits starting from smallest number to the largest.
Ain't happening. ”

Absurd. Throw a deck of cards enough times & that WILL happen.

And it could happen any time. The chances of ANY "arrangement" are the same as any other.

Probability, my friend. The complex patterns and recognizable specifications found throughout genetic code are destroying idea of life's origin being that of chance. Smarter men than you and I (atheists, no less) are deserting the theory every day.

But, by it's nature, science is always changing.

Science? You speak of science and talk with such blasphemy(giggles at irony)?

Sure, it might go on forever now that we have some, but it can not stretch into an infinite past. If it did... how did we get to this very moment? Was it after an infinite number of "seconds" or "minutes" or "femto-seconds" or whatever has transpired?

Obviously not. An infinite number of time, no matter how you divide it up, can not have ALREADY gone by. There would always be at least one more time-unit to go!

I don't think logic works that way. If infinity subtracted from infinity results in zero, aka now, the idea that something has always existed does seem wrong, but not impossible.

Back