'There is no God' - Rational, logical, justifiable?

No Fine Tuning (in the way it is thought to be)

1. If there can be one universe there can be another.

2. We actually see that the universe is even greatly accelerating.

3. Thus, what fueled the universe is the fuel that keeps on giving.

4. So, again, other universes are possible from this fuel, which is that of nothing dividing and creating.

5. Therefore there will be a universe in which the amount of dark energy is right enough for galaxies to form.

6. So then there will be suns and planets there (as here), some of which are in the right ballpark for life.

7. We can only find ourselves in a universe that has the right properties. In other universes there is no one around to remark about about how ‘remarkable’ it is.

Do we need to go through the likelihood of even one universe had evolved from "nothing?" The only problem I see with theory of evolution is the lengthy time it takes to notice something had have changed. Theoretically one universe is defiantly possible, but two universes having evolved from the same nothing, is uber unlikely. Unless, there are thousands upon thousands of non-quality universes.

NOTE: Universe is everything. If we discover another universe its part of our universe. There can only be one everything.

How do you calculate that likelihood? Or is it just the result of your personal incredulity?

then that leaves you with the bind of something arising from nothing
:shrug:

Right.

A lot of discussion here on Sciforums makes what in my opinion is the basic error of imagining nothing or non-existence as if it is some dark and mysterious place, a super-cosmic void of some kind, out of which everything, the entire universe, flows and emanates.

That, btw, isn't dissimilar from many traditional religious ideas. God is often thought of as being beyond human concepts entirely, a kind of transcendental cognitive void that can only be approached apophatically, by clearing one's mind of phenomenal images. A great deal of Indian thought moves in that direction, as does Neoplatonism and the whole 'negative theology' stream in Christian and Islamic theology and mysticism. God is the ultimate inconceivable One, the unity out of which all the diversity and multiplicity of phenomenal reality flows, like light emanating from the Sun.

In my opinion, nothing is probably better thought of as a limiting concept than as a transcendental being. 'Nothing' is a term that marks out the limits of being. A boundary that doesn't separate being from some different (and infinitely productive) kind of being on the other side called 'nothing', but rather a boundary that only has one side, where it's meaningless to even speak of there being a beyond.

So instead of 'something coming from nothing', what we perhaps should be talking about are causal anomalies inside being, namely things and events that simply occur or come into being without any explanation or prior cause. It's effectively the same thing, but it doesn't land us in the fundamental philosophical difficulty of imagining nothing as if it was something.

I don't think that the 'out of nothing' idea successfully answers any of our ontological questions. It's just a way of avoiding those questions, and for that reason it's seemingly just as uninformative and ad-hoc as the ancient religious cosmologies that it's meant to replace. In other words, I don't think that it's adding anything tangible or useful to our knowledge.

If common sense worked, there would be no need for science.

It works for me... Maybe you aren't paying attention?

EDIT: Common sense, like instincts. Science is necessary for all as he is what validates all of this.

NOTE: Universe is everything. If we discover another universe its part of our universe. There can only be one everything.

We can call it the greater Cosmos or the multiverse.

The arguments and conclusions for 'nothing' are unavoidable and unvoidable.

We can call it the greater Cosmos or the multiverse.

The arguments and conclusions for 'nothing' are unavoidable and unvoidable.

Thats silly. Why segregate A from B? Were not quit through with the nothing debate. That one is the next "free will" debate.

When people talk about the Universe coming from nothing it is really a Universe centric view. By saying our Universe came to exist from nothing all you are really saying is that "before" the Universe existed there was nothing in the Universe(and no Universe). That in no way indicates anything about conditions that exist outside our Universe, whether there are other universes, if there are cycles of universes, if we are just a small soap bubble in the big bubble bath of the multiverse, the "Cosmic Foam", if you will.

The evidence points directly at a beginning of space and time(and everything within)some 13.7 billion years ago in the half dimension we call time(half because we can only travel one direction in time, which is in the direction of increasing entrophy). As to the other three dimensions you can point to the middle of your chest and you are pointing at the exact point at which the Big Bang began in space.

I do not know that there is no god, though I see no valid evidence to think so. But I make no claims of god's non-existence, it is no more provable than claims that there is a god. And while abscence of evidence for god existing is not proof he does not exist it is convincing evidence of his non-existence through logic. Why posit entities for which no need can be shown? Occam tells us not to.

Grumpy:cool:

And the meaning of the word 'exist' is a little mysterious in this context as well. We all know what it means for objects like tables and chairs to exist. But God is said to exist in a totally different, non-physical way. But apparently it's supposed to be a much more robust kind of existence than that enjoyed by fictional characters in literature. Even atheists would typically agree that God exists in the same way that Sherlock Holmes exists.

Agreed. The baggage that the word God has attached to it as well as the cultural and social function attached to religion are what cause even rational, well informed people to remain theists/ keep attending religious institutions [a prime example of this would be Sweden, where a majority are atheists and yet a majority are connected to churches too]. Being a lifelong introvert, it very easy for me to give up my religion and being in a formative stage meant I had less baggage as well. But the main question to raise here would be how far can one stretch the concept before calling it God is meaningless?

I'm a strong-atheist about the traditional deities of religious myth. In other words, I flat-out believe that Yahweh, Allah and Vishnu don't exist. That's a probabilistic denial, though in my opinion it's a fairly strong one. But it isn't an apodictic logically-necessary conclusion. It's still logically possible that I'm wrong and that Christianity (or whatever it might be) is true.

But having said that, I'm an agnostic about the philosophical functions. I don't know how or why the universe exists. I don't know if it has any goal or function. I don't know what the ultimate fundamental level of being is. All that stuff is way above my pay-grade and I don't expect that I'll ever know.

I completely agree. Well stated, couldnt have said this well myself.

What I am strongly convinced about though, is that humanity's traditional theistic religious mythologies don't bring me a whole lot closer to answering those kind of big philosophical questions.

Indeed. However, what kind and amount of usefulness would you assign to religions as social, cultural, political and spiritual tools rather than a philosophical one [for which science is certainly the winner].

Close thread. Proof please. I believe, if your an atheist you as well believe. Jokes on you in a way. Anyways, the best evidence we have either way is humans believing for centuries, people making claims of our unknown universe i.e: angels/gods, God-message. Absence of God is more likely to state he is staying out of the way for our betterment, than he's not there. Remember God is an all powerful being, the original conciousness is what I call him, giving him a greater chance to gather all knowledge in the universe. Once he makes us all perfectly moral through our own reason and action, not his, then we will all live together for an eternity. Simply put, your best he said she said defense would be "well he isn't there," and I counter with "it's all part of the plan." End of discussion. It is up to the one making the claim to prove the negative. I am perfectly fine assuming in God, because I believe, and on top of that, God not being there would be the negative rather than he is.

My question to all is supply evidence to support either side of the argument. If the greatst minds the interweb has to offer can't answer this we are just not looking at this from the right angel.

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
― Charles Bukowski

Something had to have been first.

Actually, the Universe appear physically to have come from nothing spontaneously. The observations match up with this quite nicely. I'll see if I can't find the link to a video when I get home (in a couple weeks...)

When people talk about the Universe coming from nothing it is really a Universe centric view. By saying our Universe came to exist from nothing all you are really saying is that "before" the Universe existed there was nothing in the Universe(and no Universe). That in no way indicates anything about conditions that exist outside our Universe, whether there are other universes, if there are cycles of universes, if we are just a small soap bubble in the big bubble bath of the multiverse, the "Cosmic Foam", if you will.

The evidence points directly at a beginning of space and time(and everything within)some 13.7 billion years ago in the half dimension we call time(half because we can only travel one direction in time, which is in the direction of increasing entrophy). As to the other three dimensions you can point to the middle of your chest and you are pointing at the exact point at which the Big Bang began in space.

I do not know that there is no god, though I see no valid evidence to think so. But I make no claims of god's non-existence, it is no more provable than claims that there is a god. And while abscence of evidence for god existing is not proof he does not exist it is convincing evidence of his non-existence through logic. Why posit entities for which no need can be shown? Occam tells us not to.

It is funny that you should criticize an ex nihilo origin by citing a "Universe centric view" when your "convincing evidence" is just as universe-centric.

Ps. For christians - Seeing how satan wanted man to have knowledge while God wanted man to be suppressed and God then goes on to do horrific deeds throught the rest of the scripture,

Link to scripture, and what is the verse from?

Genesis.

The serpent (Satan) offers Eve a fruit from the Tree of Knowledge. It was God's desire that Adam and Eve never partake of the Tree of Knowledge. He wanted them to remain innocent in Eden. His wrath that they sampled from the ToK is what caused him to throw them out of Eden and live naked, and ashamed in the world, with their newfound knowledge as their curse.

This is a commonly-accepted interpretation of the events of Genesis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpent_(Bible)#Serpent_in_Eden

Last edited:
Actually, the Universe appear physically to have come from nothing spontaneously. The observations match up with this quite nicely. I'll see if I can't find the link to a video when I get home (in a couple weeks...)

Wait. You have a video containing observations of the creation of the universe??

Cosmologists will beat a path to your door!

:D

Back