There is absolutely NO contradiction whatsoever between religious faith and science

Prove it.
So you have no education?
Here's a starter:
Legal law: Law[4] is a system of rules and guidelines, usually enforced through a set of institutions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law
Physical law (i.e. laws of the universe): a law is an analytic statement, usually with an empirically determined constant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_science

One is a set of rules that is set by humans and describes how things ought to be done (and that can be broken) - a prescription. The other is statement of how things have been observed to be - a description only.

all i get is dyw is trying to show jan there is no 'definition' as to who/what god is..
how does this relate to OP?
No, I'm trying to get Jan to actually show that his claims are truthful (i.e. factual). Or even that they have any basis in fact.
And it relates to the OP in the way I stated in my first post in this thread:
science shows there is no need, and no evidence, for god. Therefore god, from the point of view of science, is extraneous.
Therein lies the contradiction: religion has invented something and claims that we should follow certain rules and strictures supposedly laid down by this invention. Science, on the other, looks at what is and what can be demonstrated.
One operates from demonstrable, verifiable data, the other from faith.

Jan Ardena said:
The thread has been sabotaged, purposefully.
I agree. And the saboteur is the dishonest poster Jan Ardena.

Mind you, the thread title was dishonest also... As I pointed out.

Therein lies the contradiction: religion has invented something and claims that we should follow certain rules and strictures supposedly laid down by this invention. Science, on the other, looks at what is and what can be demonstrated.
One operates from demonstrable, verifiable data, the other from faith.
both looking for rules from an outside source.
both trying to justify their own beliefs to the other.
both being guilty of what they claim of the other.
both playing the 'slam' (insult)card against the other.
both claim to be/have 'the' answer.

to me science is knowledge.
Religion (in its ideal form) is wisdom.

the two are not mutually exclusive.

both looking for rules from an outside source.
Really?
What "outside source" do my "rules" come from?

both trying to justify their own beliefs to the other.
On the contrary, all I'm doing with Jan is asking what basis in reality his claims have.

both being guilty of what they claim of the other.
Show me where I have avoided answering a question please. Show me where I have resorted to insults or dismissal when given a question I refuse to answer.

both claim to be/have 'the' answer.
On the contrary again: I don't claim to have the answer (as I have admitted more than once in this thread). But I am, and have been, (one more time), asking Jan (and Mind over Matter), what evidence do they have that their answer is the right one*.
All I want is for them to either justify their claims or admit that they are purely personal, unsubstantiated, belief, which just happens to "work" for them.

to me science is knowledge.
Religion (in its ideal form) is wisdom.
to are not mutually exclusive.
Yet, again, religion relies on faith - things that cannot be shown to be true.

* You, on the other, admit freely that it's belief, and haven't (that I've seen anywhere) claimed that you are indisputably correct. You are prepared to accept (and I think you've said it fairly often) that what you believe is what you believe, and that it works for you.

Jan must have given in… to minds not being able to be fundamental, making God impossible.

Theism being wisdom is wizdumb.

Really?
What "outside source" do my "rules" come from?
this is the question..the rest you just lumped yourself into my generic context.
in science the outside source is what is knowable ..
in religion it is what is not knowable..

Yet, again, religion relies on faith - things that cannot be shown to be true.
we have had that argument..
science also begins with faith, but the list(of what they have faith in) excludes god,which for science translates to 'I don't know,it just is',
science starts with 'I don't know,what if'

* You, on the other, admit freely that it's belief, and haven't (that I've seen anywhere) claimed that you are indisputably correct. You are prepared to accept (and I think you've said it fairly often) that what you believe is what you believe, and that it works for you.
the truth will attend to itself..
i accept my limitations.
(but that doesn't mean you are right..:p)

this is the question..the rest you just lumped yourself into my generic context.
in science the outside source is what is knowable ..
in religion it is what is not knowable..
So once again we're back to what I claim can be ascertained and verified, what you claim cannot.

science also begins with faith, but the list(of what they have faith in) excludes god,which for science translates to 'I don't know,it just is',
science starts with 'I don't know,what if'
Science does not begin with faith, nor does it rely on faith.

the truth will attend to itself..
i accept my limitations.
(but that doesn't mean you are right..:p)
Your limitations are numerous and varied. Of course I'm right. :p
That was just in case you considered by previous footnote to be complimentary. ;)

So once again we're back to what I claim can be ascertained and verified, what you claim cannot.
why should the two be mutually exclusive?

Science does not begin with faith, nor does it rely on faith.
i wont argue it doesnt rely on faith..i almost said that, but it aint true..
but i will argue science begins with faith..i will accept proven sciences do not start with faith, but the unproven ones do..(but lets argue my first comment..)

why should the two be mutually exclusive?
Not so much "mutually exclusive" (Did I claim that anywhere?) as, per the thread title, contradictory.
One requires evidence, the other says that, effectively, evidence doesn't matter and belief is all that counts.

i wont argue it doesnt rely on faith..i almost said that, but it aint true..
but i will argue science begins with faith..i will accept proven sciences do not start with faith, but the unproven ones do..(but lets argue my first comment..)
Unproven sciences? Examples?
Science starts with questions. How much faith do you need to ask a question?

Sure, redefine theism as "wisdom" and we can all agree.

It was redefined that way a long time ago in a book called De Magna Domo Sapientiae. It is what lead to Martin Luther doing the do he did inspiring his writings, that lead to the 30 year wars, ending at the peace of Westphalia. The Protestants were the losers and that is why so many came to the new world. For religious freedom. So they could think what they want .
Aren't event streams fun

Not so much "mutually exclusive" (Did I claim that anywhere?) as, per the thread title, contradictory.
One requires evidence, the other says that, effectively, evidence doesn't matter and belief is all that counts.

Unproven sciences? Examples?
No body really believes . They want to believe. They want to so bad people can taste it. If people really believed Jesus they would take every thing they own and give it to the poor. Walk in Jesus shoes as the saying goes. Yeah Man that is what the Bible says. Some guy ask Jesus , How do I get in Heaven and that is what Jesus said. Give all your money to the poor , it wasn't until after that very statement did he say: It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven . Good thing he didn't say women

why do you criticize so hard?
answer (subjective to approval);
to sharpen the swords of wanna-be scientist, to condition them to the fact that in the world of science it is common to point at something/someone and say 'that is wrong'..

faith comes in when you are unsure of who to listen to for the knowledge required for epistemic autonomy :)p yeah me..found a way to utilize that term:p)..but in case i used it wrong..
faith comes in when you are lacking in knowledge and need to ask someone else.
faith comes in when a scientist has an idea, but no proof (hence the term 'proof of concept')
faith comes in when you express an idea knowing that someone will say 'that is wrong' and you will have an answer for him..
faith comes in when one scientist says to the other ' i have a theory' (faith in context)
if scientist only stuck with what they know, how would science advance?

and most important of them all..

they have faith that they can answer lifes questions without a God in it.

why do you criticize so hard?
It's not criticism - it's questions!

faith comes in when you are unsure of who to listen to for the knowledge required for epistemic autonomy :)p yeah me..found a way to utilize that term:p)..but in case i used it wrong..
faith comes in when you are lacking in knowledge and need to ask someone else.
faith comes in when you express an idea knowing that someone will say 'that is wrong' and you will have an answer for him..
Different (and incorrect) use of the word "faith". The "faith" in these cases are trust, and usually based on prior experience - you normally ask someone who has already shown themselves to be knowledgeable, etc. Religious faith is a different kettle of fish.
Check here.

faith comes in when a scientist has an idea, but no proof (hence the term 'proof of concept')
faith comes in when one scientist says to the other ' i have a theory' (faith in context)
I don't see, at all, how "faith" enters into these.
Yeah, a scientist has an idea and no "proof"... why do you think he performs experiments? To see if his idea holds merit. (And, in point of fact, a large proportion of experiments are done deliberately to find fault with the idea/ theory).
Likewise if someone approaches me and says "I have a theory" what do I need faith for? "Show me" I can say., "let's check it out".

if scientist only stuck with what they know, how would science advance?
Um, they ask questions. Of nature.

and most important of them all..
they have faith that they can answer lifes questions without a God in it.
Not quite: if god showed up anywhere in the answers that get asked then they'd accept it.

IMHO - The problems and/or differences are:

1. Some people have a hard time differentiating between science and the speculations of some scientists.

and 2. When a skeptical/scientific person speculates, the next step is "how can we test these speculations?" From my observations, those of faith never get to the second step.

It's not criticism - it's questions!
sorry, you missed my context..

Different (and incorrect) use of the word "faith". The "faith" in these cases are trust, and usually based on prior experience - you normally ask someone who has already shown themselves to be knowledgeable, etc.
but you don't 'know'..

Religious faith is a different kettle of fish.
won't argue religion has its own terminology..but the basic concept is the same, trust in an unknown..

Yeah, a scientist has an idea and no "proof"... why do you think he performs experiments? To see if his idea holds merit.
this is what distinguishes science from religion.
and qualifies for my statement about 'accept vs test' (what is vs what if)

(And, in point of fact, a large proportion of experiments are done deliberately to find fault with the idea/ theory).
lol..mythbuster flashbacks..
still holds to accept vs test

Not quite: if god showed up anywhere in the answers that get asked then they'd accept it.
back to proof of god..
i will bet that 10 scientist can come forward and show ' i have found god here' and one will come along and debate effectively (you don't have to be right to debate effectively) enough to be heard, and the ten scientists would get ignored and censured.
(rate this; plausible,possible,)

sorry, you missed my context..
Yeah, I sort of realised that after I'd hit the "reply" button. My excuse is that it's 4 am here and I'm overdue for bed.

but you don't 'know'..
Don't know that they will give a correct answer? No, you don't. But a track record speaks volumes.

won't argue religion has its own terminology..but the basic concept is the same, trust in an unknown..
Only "sort of". I think Spidergoat made an excellent post on the various meanings of faith and how they applied in everyday life. Let's put it this way: you have "faith" that someone will give a correct answer. Fine. call it faith. How shattered would you be if that answer proved to be incorrect? You always hold the possibility that a fellow human can be wrong: not so with your faith in god. Faith in humans (and scientific results) is provisional.

this is what distinguishes science from religion.
and qualifies for my statement about 'accept vs test' (what is vs what if)
lol..mythbuster flashbacks..
still holds to accept vs test
Not sure what you're getting at. If you mean that there is faith placed in the result of the test, then yes: but once again that "faith" is entirely provisional.

back to proof of god..
i will bet that 10 scientist can come forward and show ' i have found god here' and one will come along and debate effectively (you don't have to be right to debate effectively) enough to be heard, and the ten scientists would get ignored and censured.
(rate this; plausible,possible,)
Unfortunately for that argument in science you have to have evidence to support your contentions. There's no debate in the sense you mean it since anyone, at anytime can present evidence that ruins your argument - if you insist on "debating" science when you're wrong you'll get shot down in short order. In fact we have two excellent examples in progress at the moment: here and here.

That's me for the night: I'll catch up with any replies tomorrow. :wave:

Slight error:

Atheists DO accept the possibility, but we then require that for possibility to be considered as anything other than a possibility we need evidence that it's worth considering further.

I dispute the "genuine openness" (i.e. you're implying, deliberately or otherwise that agnostics/ atheists aren't open), but sure, desire to believe.
An atheist says "regardless of my desires give me a reason to believe".

I find the evidence (as evidence) non-existent.

Quantity? It depends largely upon the quality of evidence. If I run a single experiment with recorded, verifiable data resulting should I disregard simply because 1,000 people who have nothing other than "I don't agree" do disagree?

Not quite. I require evidence that god exists, whether he himself gives this evidence is irrelevant. For example we've had a claim (in this thread) that "God is composed of spirit" well, great. Super. brilliant. yet no evidence is provided to show that spirit exists. it's a recursive and self-supporting "argument".

Then how else do you show he exists?

If you look at the general tenor of my arguments throughout my ten years on SciForums it's been "what evidence is there for me to accept this as true?".
In other words, he may very well exist but there's no supporting evidence.

I'm sorry but that essentially devolves into: god exists because the bible says so and we know the bible is true because god dictated it.
When a Christian asks you to believe in God and preaches the Gospel etc to you, they are offering you a hope in Eternal Life.

The questions for you are are these.

1. What is it you are offering to us when you ask us NOT to believe?
2. What advantage(s) does belief in NO God offer?
3. Why is Rejection of God better than Acceptance of God?
4. Why is Hopelessness (No afterlife) better than Hopefulness (glorious afterlife)?

Let it be know right now that I am no philosopher, nor am I a theologian.
I am a simple believer in God, because it makes no sense to me NOT to believe in God.
I am a Christian because Christianity, built upon Love, makes more sense than any other faith that I have looked at.

I recognize that there are numerous examples of people of faith acting badly, even horrifically, yet I cannot see that as some sort of proof against Gods existence.

So tell me - What does the "faith of Atheism" offer that is not found in a "faith of theism".
Most forms of belief in God, particularly Judeo/Christian belief, whether right or wrong, offers the Hope of salvation and an eternal life of happiness. What can Atheism offer me except the grave?

Back