Therapy Fixes Color Blindness in Monkeys

What I'm wondering is driving issues. If the person see's a red light as green what then? Could he/she get ticketed?

Wouldn't the person just see the stop light's brighter light flash and know if it was on top it would be 'stop'? And if it was on the bottom it would be "go"?

The wikipedia entry on colour blindness has some figures that demonstrate what the colours of the rainbow look like to people with various forms of colour blindness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

Yea.. but that isn't correct, at least not for everyone that is colorblind.
As a colorblind person I should see no difference between the picture of how red/green colorblind people should see and the picture of how people with normal vision should see it. I do.

What I'm wondering is driving issues. If the person see's a red light as green what then? Could he/she get ticketed?

Most red/green colorblind people can distinguish fine between red and green traffic lights. I know I can.
Plus, if they can't the two would still look like two different shades of green or red.
And we also notice difference in brightness more readily in order to distinguish different colors.
And, yes, colorblind people also know that the red light is the top one and that the green light is the bottom one :p

As a colorblind person I should see no difference between the picture of how red/green colorblind people should see and the picture of how people with normal vision should see it. I do.

Then I guess you're not red/green colourblind. :shrug: There are other types of colourblindness that involve other colours.

Edit: Hang on. :eek: Now that I think about it, there is no reason to expect that a RGCB person would see the 'normal' and 'protanopia' charts the same. They're merely a simulation for someone with normal colour vision.

Last edited:
Then I guess you're not red/green colourblind. There are other types of colourblindness that involve other colours.

Edit: Hang on. :eek: Now that I think about it, there is no reason to expect that a RGCB person would see the 'normal' and 'protanopia' charts the same. They're merely a simulation for someone with normal colour vision.

Hmm ok.. so then they must not be very good simulations :p
For the record, I have been tested for Red/Green Colorblindness and the result was that I am moderately colorblind. I pass some, but fail most.

You don't notice it most of the time when you're dealing with a colorblind person though. There are many tricks CB people developed to get around ;)

Hmm ok.. so then they must not be very good simulations :p
For the record, I have been tested for Red/Green Colorblindness and the result was that I am moderately colorblind. I pass some, but fail most.

You don't notice it most of the time when you're dealing with a colorblind person though. There are many tricks CB people developed to get around ;)

How does that affect you? And what kind of tricks? Curious minds want to know.

How does that affect you? And what kind of tricks? Curious minds want to know.

Colorblind people recognize patterns more readily and pay more attention to form than to color.
They can usually see more shades and are more sensitive to variations in brightness.
Plus, people know what color most things are. Even if I couldn't see that the grass is green I still know it is. And I could easily differentiate between withered (brownish) grass and healthy green grass.

Colorblind people recognize patterns more readily and pay more attention to form than to color.
They can usually see more shades and are more sensitive to variations in brightness.
Plus, people know what color most things are. Even if I couldn't see that the grass is green I still know it is. And I could easily differentiate between withered (brownish) grass and healthy green grass.

Are stoplights an issue for you? Are movies? Clothing? Was the lab in college?

Are stoplights an issue for you?
Nope. I can easily see the difference in color between all the lights.
Besides, I know that red is on top and green is the bottom one.

Are movies?
No, but I'm curious. In what way would they be an issue?

Clothing?
Sometimes, not often though. I once went to get some new white shoelaces and I ended up buying pink ones. That was embarrassing when I got home.. lol

Was the lab in college?
No, not that I recall.

Nope. I can easily see the difference in color between all the lights.
Besides, I know that red is on top and green is the bottom one.
No, but I'm curious. In what way would they be an issue?Sometimes, not often though. I once went to get some new white shoelaces and I ended up buying pink ones. That was embarrassing when I got home.. lol
No, not that I recall.
I was wondering about movies--especially in theaters where it is very dark, the screen is huge, and even normal-sighted people can have issues. LOL about the shoelaces.:D

I was wondering about movies--especially in theaters where it is very dark, the screen is huge, and even normal-sighted people can have issues. LOL about the shoelaces.:D

But in what way would that cause any problems?

On a side note, I'm not that impressed with the color-seeing abilities of non-colorblind people. When I ask a bunch of people what color something is most of the time different people come up with different answers.
Sometimes non-colorblind people seem lazy in identifying colors. For instance, a lot of people call very dark colors black.

I think you show this in regards to your eye for photographic opportunities. I'd guess you spot patterns and textures that would otherwise be missed by people with normal sight. Who says being a mutant's bad? (No offence meant... we're all mutants technically, we are all bound to have some trait that everyone else doesn't has, it's a part of us being individuals, take it away and you just end up another [corporate?] drone)

But in what way would that cause any problems?

On a side note, I'm not that impressed with the color-seeing abilities of non-colorblind people. When I ask a bunch of people what color something is most of the time different people come up with different answers.
Sometimes non-colorblind people seem lazy in identifying colors. For instance, a lot of people call very dark colors black.

Much less light, more stress on the iris. I just thought that maybe watching up to 3 hours of passive/reflecting light in a dark place would affect your vision. Also, in movie theaters they use rear projected equipment which projects light onto a reflecting surface and then you only see the reflection of the potential ray. I wondered if that affected your view of color.

Back