Theists suggest: Experiment, fake it till you make it - Really??

For example, people say "You should build on a good foundation". Well, obviously.
But what is not obvious what that "good foundation" is, in some practical instance.

Some Christian proselytizers use this argument, saying one "ought to build on a good foundation" and then talk about what a good foundation does. Nobody can object that, it's self-evident, it's a truism.
But from that alone, it does not follow that their particular brand of Christianity is that good foundation.

Nobody will disagree that in order to find God, one has to be honest. But what, in particular, it means to be honest, is another matter.

OK; I certainly don't disagree with that, but bringing things back to the OP, I am guessing/hoping that those theists who support "faking it till you make it" were really trying to describe the process I laid out. The specific details you point out to be missing would likely differ based on the specific religion, or more to the point, the specific definition of God, that you are seeking.

What exactly did you mean by this?

I'll put it this way:

There is no point in talking to someone about God unless one believes that that person is an adequate/good/competent source of knowledge about God.

If one talks to someone about God, then the very fact of talking to them about God implies that that person indeed is (considered by the listener to be) an adequate/good/competent source of knowledge about God.

This can be a very unfortunate situation, as the outsider/beginner might get stuck with the wrong person and unable to get out.

The above reasoning is based on the premise that the beginner/outsider is absolutely ignorant and incompetent about God, and as such, is fully at the mercy of anyone who claims to know the truth about God.

I cannot think of another premise that one could operate from in theistic discussion.
A position like "Everyone already knows something about God and has some competence to know God" is readily dismissed by all theistic traditions that I know of.

Signal

There is no point in talking to someone about God unless one believes that that person is an adequate/good/competent source of knowledge about God.

In this context, point out where someone has advised someone else to
fake belief.

If one talks to someone about God, then the very fact of talking to them about God implies that that person indeed is (considered by the listener to be) an adequate/good/competent source of knowledge about God.

Not necessarily.

This can be a very unfortunate situation, as the outsider/beginner might get stuck with the wrong person and unable to get out.

This was the point of my response to you.
It has nothing to do with religion, or theism.
What Jaylew is suggesting, is not religion, or God, but a materialistic solution
to a problem.
If someone accepts "fake it" as good solid religious advice, then they themselves are in no better a position than the one giving the advice.

The above reasoning is based on the premise that the beginner/outsider is absolutely ignorant and incompetent about God, and as such, is fully at the mercy of anyone who claims to know the truth about God.

Then we're talking about something completely different, where someone uses religion to get what they want. This is already rampant, but again has nothing to do with God and His prescripted Religion.

I cannot think of another premise that one could operate from in theistic discussion.
A position like "Everyone already knows something about God and has some competence to know God" is readily dismissed by all theistic traditions that I know of.

It's time to forget about theistic traditions, they have no effect, and the leaders are atheist, in that they don't believe in God.
You know if someone believes in God by how they act, speak, eat, sleep, and so on.

jan.

Do you mean "humiliation" here, not "humility"?
one is external the other internal..

If depravity and hardship were conducive to sincerity, then prisons, hospitals and slums would be full of enlightened people ...
i understand your concept but this also applies..
..including on the helping end of things..volunteers and such.

In all the spiritual traditions I know, absolute sincerity is something that one develops toward the end of the path, not at the beginning.
yet no one listens to the old man..
IOW the young don't always do as they were told..(Nox)

Not surprisingly. A concerted attempt to brainwash does indeed carry the inherent assumption that the person doing the brainwashing doesn't believe what they are teaching, which makes it a form of dishonesty. I would hope MOST theists would condemn this.
this isn't a given..i suppose it is the majority, but not all, that do not believe what they are teaching..
in the real world this translates to licenses/credentials/certificates/books..
the average believer has none of these..
also this involves a judgment call from the listener to choose whether to listen to him or not..
and..we as individuals should not put our faith in any ONE man..
that doesn't mean we can't listen to him, but understand why we make the choices we do..if its cause one man told us to,its under suspect..if its cause it is the best thing to do..(info from more than one source).

one mans view of what is best for us, does not account for what he does not see..

or an alternative source of info..

It's time to forget about theistic traditions, they have no effect, and the leaders are atheist, in that they don't believe in God.
You know if someone believes in God by how they act, speak, eat, sleep, and so on.jan.
um..that second part IS theistic tradition..

I'll put it this way:

you are confusing god with religion. of course, someone that has been schooled in a particular religion can explain what that religion's take on god is better than one that isn't.

as for the qualification to know anything about god is a greater context. heck, a child's honesty or love can be construed as something of god by some. a homeless person could have an insight about god ad infinitum.

In this context, point out where someone has advised someone else to fake belief.

I myself was advised to "fake it till you make it" and I have witnessed other people be advised that too.
I do not know of any authoritative sources who would state it directly that way, but some do seem to more or less suggest it between the lines.

For all practical intents and purposes, a person 1. cannot practice religion all on one's own, separate from all theists; 2. has little or no contact with religious authorities, and is instead left to associate with and subject themselves to whoever came earlier or has more power in the community.

Not necessarily.

What other option is there?

If someone accepts "fake it" as good solid religious advice, then they themselves are in no better a position than the one giving the advice.

I didn't want to accept it, and pointed out the problems with it, for which I was scorned.

Moreover, I was also not given any advice or insight as to how to arrive at (more) faith either (in fact, some told me I was a hopeless case).

In my experience there are only these options:
1. One already has sufficient faith and other religious abilities, so one doesn't depend on the religious community to develop faith and abilities.
2. One fakes it till one makes it.
3. One leaves and gives up, since there is no hope to develop faith and abilities in the religious community, nor on one's own.

You know if someone believes in God by how they act, speak, eat, sleep, and so on.

Then how do you propose to resolve the dilemma of the outsider/beginner:
"I, as an outsider/beginner, have no intelligence to discern proper theistic conduct from an improper one. Therefore, anything could be theistic conduct." -?

How do you know what is "God's prescribed religion" and what is not?

When a theist accuses you of being wrong/demonic, do you believe it or not? And if you don't, on the grounds of what?

also this involves a judgment call from the listener to choose whether to listen to him or not..

But this is the core of the problem: How do you know you are making the right judgment call?

Given that we are not omniscient, on the grounds of what may we reject someone's claims?

But this is the core of the problem: How do you know you are making the right judgment call?

Given that we are not omniscient, on the grounds of what may we reject someone's claims?

question everything and everyone..knowledge is in the common denominators.

"fake it till you make it".

Sounds like contractual obligations given by tobacco manufacturers, chemical companies, oil companies and pharmaceuticals companies to scientists in their employ.

If it's good for science, why not religion?

Hindsight is always 20/20 they say ...

i was intelligent enough to know that going in.

Do you mean "humiliation" here, not "humility"?
If not, then you're just stating a truism ...

no, i meant humility.

Oh yes.

If depravity and hardship were conducive to sincerity, then prisons, hospitals and slums would be full of enlightened people ...

In all the spiritual traditions I know, absolute sincerity is something that one develops toward the end of the path, not at the beginning.

imo and experience, humility and sincerity are actually REQUIRED to know god, and that knowledge is the beginning.

Because I envy you your certainty, even if I think it is a dumb certainty.

Sorry, but this is the truth.

What makes no sense?

Envy is a powerful motivator, and it needn't be particularly rational-seeming either.

What makes no sense?

Envy is a powerful motivator, and it needn't be particularly rational-seeming either.

it's also a sin. :eek:

it just seems strange to envy something you think is dumb.

what certainty are you referring to exactly? is it my belief in god, or an acknowledgement of my own feelings/situation?

in one sense, i do have an aversion to certainty, because i think it shuts a door to further learning and consideration. but on the other hand, if i'm not certain of what i've experienced, then who is, and what's the point of it?

it's also a sin.

And yet it is envy that pushes people on the path of improvement of one kind or another.

it just seems strange to envy something you think is dumb.

I have to add I envy you only sometimes, not 24/7.

what certainty are you referring to exactly? is it my belief in god, or an acknowledgement of my own feelings/situation?

The way you seem to have no epistemological problems, or the way you gloss over them with truisms.

Sometimes, I wish I could talk and be like a politican ...
I mean, it must be great to do as if one is on top of the world and everything is clear to one ...

in one sense, i do have an aversion to certainty, because i think it shuts a door to further learning and consideration. but on the other hand, if i'm not certain of what i've experienced, then who is, and what's the point of it?

Well, maybe you have some epistemological problems after all ... :p
Imagine - if you quit drinkin' and druggin' - you'd be like me! :D

And yet it is envy that pushes people on the path of improvement of one kind or another.

I have to add I envy you only sometimes, not 24/7.

The way you seem to have no epistemological problems, or the way you gloss over them with truisms.

Sometimes, I wish I could talk and be like a politican ...
I mean, it must be great to do as if one is on top of the world and everything is clear to one ...

Well, maybe you have some epistemological problems after all ... :p
Imagine - if you quit drinkin' and druggin' - you'd be like me! :D

we all have different paths signal. once, when i was all strung out going through some tough stuff, one of my managers used to tell me "trust the process". and theoretically, i know that's good advice.

and PS...are you trying to be funny about the politician?

Back