Theists cannot debate objectivly........

one_raven,

what I am saying is faith and religious belief effect opinions and views. ie hence the clash between christianity and islam. How can either religion argue about the treatment of women in society objectivly, when their respective religions have sterotyped the situation?

Where is the objectivity in such an argument?

Obviously if you are a believer, and someone like me tests your faith...you feel offended...hence the lack of objectivity. How can you argue with me objectivly if what I am saying is in direct conflict with your beliefs/god/religion. I have no answers or religion, I believe I, or no man, women or religion will ever explain the meaning of life......does this make me objective? I at least hope I have a more open mind the the religious fanatics I see day in day out on this site!

Jus

Originally posted by jusmeig
How can either religion argue about the treatment of women in society objectivly, when their respective religions have sterotyped the situation?
You have an amazingly simplistic view of theology and sociology. In your cartoon world all theists are babbling fundamentalists, while the myriad of national and internation organizations dealing with women's rights are hotbeds of methodological naturalism and atheism.

Permit me a couple of wild guesses:
  • You've never read folks like Thomas Aquinas.
  • You've never taken a college level theology course.
  • You've spent little or no time in theist-run forums such as Challenging Atheism
Hanging a cross around the neck of a strawman makes it no less so.

yes, in our amzingly simplistic and limited world we think that it is strange that anyone that has access to some form of education is still willing to cling on to theism, fundamentalist or not.

There is a story telling the tale of god. People believe in god, because they are told god exists. It is part of out culture. god never shows any signs of being present in this world. Still people believe in god. People believe in different gods. The world can easily be explained without god. Do we really have to be a genius to realize what is going on?

With my limited mind I will therefore gladly characterize every theist as being foolish. Can I proof that god doesn't exist. No. Can they proof that god exists. No. In case of the lack of positive and negative evidence we assume the priority of positive evidence. No evidence for god than there is no god.

What happens if we start analyzing god and religion. One does not have to take a college level theology class to realize that theology is a human invention. It oozes human contruction. We are not born religious, we are taught to be religious. It is easy to lose your faith, it is easy to gain faith. Let's look at it from a distance.

Is there really a god or do we just long for a god? Have a stroll through your brain and think about that.

ConsequentAtheist,

No I have not taken a third level college course in theology , I studied in another area. No I have not read Thomas Aquinas and no I have spent no time in Challenging Atheism. The truth be known....I use this forum to pass the time as I sit in work (usually not busy).

However I have noticed in many forums that you cut people down when their views or way of delivering them differs from yours. I am not an atheist, as I believe in a beginning and an end to everything. I also believe that in my lifetime science will probably not answer the questions I seek, nor will religion. I therefore take solace in the fact that one way or another we will al find out when we die.

Don't call my views on sociology and theology simplistic. Although you may consider yourself well read on these topics, you will be the first to admit they are very much still a work in progress. And remember the words to live and die by...."Just because somebody says something...That does not make it so." Even the most unshakable laws and rules can be broken.

Last edited:
ConsequentAtheist,

That is not a law or rule. It is just an observation I have made form reading the many religious posts on sciforums. It is my opinion based on what I see, which in the most part is petty bickering between christian and islamics, with both joining forces to attack atheists and agnostics.

Perhaps this hate of atheists and agnostics will unite islam and christianity under the same banner.......

Jus

spuriousmonkey:

As you requested ithought about your statement.

"Is there really a god or do we just long for a god?"

The interesting thing about it is that when animals long for somthing there is usually a reason and a way to fullfill that longing. What else do we long for that can not be fullfilled? While this longing is certainly not proof it is evidence.

Could you please expand the following quote that you made; "The world can easily be explained without god". I am anxiously awaiting the definative answers and that they should be simple is frosting on the cake.

I know that I am foolish but do you really think all religious people are foolish?

You should be careful talking about faith. Without faith I seriously doubt that human civilization would exist.

answers

Originally posted by MShark

Could you please expand the following quote that you made; "The world can easily be explained without god". I am anxiously awaiting the definative answers and that they should be simple is frosting on the cake.

if you want definitive answers you should seek shelter under the umbrella of religion. I can't give you these kind of answers unfortunately.

If you want to know what live is really about than you first have to accept that there are no definitive answers. If you are then curious about how life works or the universe you might want to turn your attention to science. If you are curious about people you interact with them and learn from them. etc etc.

You build a picture of the world in your head that is always changing. There is always something new on the horizon, there is always a new question, there is never a definitive answer. One might call it return to childhood.

Although you might not get definitive answers you do get some answers. Sometimes you might not like them, sometimes they are beautiful. But the world does make sense without religion. And the world can be explained without religion. I'm not the first to view the world without a supernatural god and I am not the last. And I can not give you the answers, because they are not mine to give. They are yours to find.

While this longing is certainly not proof it is evidence.
It may be evidence of a badly framed observation. Do people long for God(s) or for cognitive security?

Even the most cursory review of the world's past religions suggest far more bad, purely functional, and/or indifferent God(s) than schizophrenic ones like YHWH. Early people's did not 'long for' the God that caused corn to grow, or lightening and thunder to fill the sky, they 'longed' for some confidence in a future good crop, and some understanding and security in the face of the storm.

In brief, "this longing" is, if anything, evidence of ignorance.

ConsequentAtheist:

Yes, there is a lot of fear and superstion running through religion. But, I think there is more, today there are millions of people who don't have to worry about storms or their crops who still desire God.

Would you say: they are just a bunch of ingnorant fools afraid of death?

There is some of that probably, but I think there are also people who are looking for meaning in their lives not out of fear but from a desire to be good. I think the same was true for the ancients as well.

What do you mean by "Ignorance".

One person believes that there is no god, that when you die you simply return to the elements from which you were made from(Gen. 3:19). Another person believes in god, and another believes in the big bang theory. There are so many other beliefs that I couln't list them all. Everyone has a belief or idea of what lies ahead. People, when challanged by curiosity, will come up with a conclusion, right or wrong. People have a hard enough time trying to figure out what is physically occuring around them, such as our ecology or economy or even personal relationships and (personal)responsibility.

Yes, there is a lot of fear and superstion running through religion. But, I think there is more, ...
I'm sure there is as well, but none of it, in my opinion, has probative value for the theist.

We are a pattern-matching organism that very much 'longs' to make sense of its context, and any heuristic generally capable of doing so imparts an adaptive advantage. With the advent of introspection, this becomes a 'longing' for meaning. There is nothing in this process that serves as evidence for or against God(s).
... today there are millions of people who don't have to worry about storms or their crops who still desire God. Would you say: they are just a bunch of ingnorant fools afraid of death?
No, and I would greatly prefer you to would argue with greater integrity.
What do you mean by "Ignorance".
The absence of knowledge.

I blame my mistake on CSI. They are always talking about collecting evidence. But evidence is only evidence if it can prove your case. really what they are collecting are clues. With that being said I would like to change all of my past references of the word "evidence" to the word "clue".

ConsequentAtheist:

I think the observation that people are attracted to God is a reasonable clue when discussing God's existance.

Your statement "We are a pattern-matching organism that very much 'longs' to make sense of its context" is a reasonable interpratation of this observation. I am not sure that I understand how people get a competitive advantage from this trait (this is not an argument it is a query).

MShark,

I don't think 'clue' works well either. What you are really doing is speculating. If you replace all your references to "evidence" by "speculation" then I think you will be on solid ground.

Mshark,

So -

I think the observation that people are attracted to God is a reasonable clue when discussing God's existance.
Should really read -

The fact that an overwhelming number of people are apparently mysteriously attracted to the idea of a god provides a speculative basis for the existence of such a being.

Since the topic is objectivity then I think this qualifies as an objective statement.

Clues are neither reasonable nor unreasonable. What we're talking about here is the interpretation of clues. I suggest that there is no reason for your interpretation, i.e., it is unreasonable.
Your statement "We are a pattern-matching organism that very much 'longs' to make sense of its context" is a reasonable interpratation of this observation. I am not sure that I understand how people get a competitive advantage from this trait (this is not an argument it is a query).
I remember reading about a psych test that involved sequencing playing cards on a screen. The observer would document the card displayed, and then press a button enabling the next card to be projected. (Forgive me, but I do not have the references.)

At a certain point in the test, once cards were being displayed and recorded at a reasonable rate, 'cards' such as a red queen of spades would be shown. There was noted a stong tendency for the observer to record seeing the queen of diamond or hearts. When shown something similar to, but different from, known patterns, people simply make things up.

Why is this an advantage? If you jump to conclusions about seeing a tiger, you may be embarrassed. If you don't, you may be eaten. On average, embarrassed theists and atheists produce more offspring than eaten ones.

Cris:

I wouldn't agree with all the modifications you made to the statment but it is not bad.

"The fact that an overwhelming number of people are apparently mysteriously attracted to the idea of a god provides a speculative basis for the existence of such a being."

The words "apparently mysteriously" I don't think make the statement more meaningful but they don't hurt either. Replacing "observation" with "fact" is really bad(I personally do not believe in facts). Changing "God" to "the idea of god" is good it makes the statement more objective. I still think that the observation is a "clue", a clue that we can speculate about.

Even though I don't always agree with you I do appreciate your ideas. Likewise with ConsequentAtheist.

ConsequentAtheist:

Are you saying that observing somthing and then speculating on its cause and meaning is unreasonable? If so I am defenseless against such logic and yield to your more reasonable interpretations.

Are you saying that observing somthing and then speculating on its cause and meaning is unreasonable?
No. I'm saying that "observing somthing and then speculating on its cause and meaning" is speculation. Claiming, for no apparent reason, that it represents a clue supporting the existence of God(s) is unreasonable.
If so I am defenseless against such logic and yield to your more reasonable interpretations.
Petty sarcasm.

Two cents or something

Angery bible bashers and crazy koran yeilding fanatics please refrain from attacking me...I am just asking a few questions.
Well, there are more religions than those of the Bible and Koran. I do think there is a tendency among Abramists to sacrifice objectivity to faith, but I would suggest you've not met a diverse enough range of theists.
If somebody is a member of a religion, they agree with the teachings of that religion. This is not in dispute?
Generally speaking, it would seem that way, wouldn't it? But I know for a fact that with Christians it isn't so. Sure a Catholic might have more of a tendency toward the Virgin than a Baptist, but you'll find few, if any, purists among either sect. My mother is an extreme version: She doesn't even go to church, she doesn't read the Bible, but she believes in God and was raised Christian so she still calls herself a Christian; the word means something else to her than it does to you or me. Or I could think of the legions of Christians I know in daily life who, despite their sectarian labels (Baptist, Lutheran, Episcopal, &c) generally believe whatever suits them as long as they can make some convoluted reconciliation to the faith.

The Missouri Synod was formed after the delegation from Missouri walked out on a Lutheran conference over the Scopes trial. The Lutheran Church arose around a tax and human rights protest. So it does seem that there comes a point when the dichotomy is irreconcilable, but few Christians really seem to pay attention. As long as their thoughts and actions are "mostly Christian", it seems to suffice. This, I submit, is an effect of human nature.
As a result of their faith their views and opinions tend to clash with other religions that they are not members of. This is not in dispute?
That doctrinal differences exist between religions is given. Otherwise, there wouldn't be diverse religions.
Obviously if somebody believes in a religion and therefore a god of some sort, they cannot possibly hope to argue objectivly with either a member of a different religion or an atheist or agnostic?
Depends on the mode of belief and the reasons for communication. If both are honest, yes, one can hope to argue objectively. Of course, that's a little like talking about those "real Christians" who are so thinly distributed among the chaff. I am expressing an idyll. It doesn't happen often within Christianity.
Many of the posts raise issues about the existence of a god, or the validity of a religion. The members of the religion under fire turn to the holy books THEY believe in for answers and justification. But if you need blind faith to follow a religion....how can you argue a point objectivly
This is a true point, but it is also well to consider what degree of objectivity you're seeking. If, after all, you seek pure objective justifications, then nothing will ever be done because there is no purely objective justification. Even atheists build their paradigms subjectively.

But there's a rhetorical string that is discouraging. We've gone from "Bible and Koran" to "theists" to "blind faith to follow a religion". These three terms are not synonymous and act in a fairly restrictive manner. There are Christian sects which exist outside these constraints (e.g. Society of Friends) and other religions which do not demand blind faith, but rather discourage it--e.g. Sufism, Buddhism, &c. At present, you're talking about a portion of Christianity, a portion of Judaism, and a portion of Islam, which leaves plenty of theists outside consideration.
would argue that atheists and agnostics are the only members of sciforums that can take a step back and look at religion as a whole....rather than letting their faith effect their judgement. I invite you to prove me wrong.
Well, an agnostic, yes, because that's the nature of agnosticism. But part of that concession is that we may never know, because agnosticism accepts that condition.

But atheism as a whole is a different issue; atheism itself is objective, but its practical applications (e.g. atheists) are subjective. Starting from the atheistic assumption, we can already lop off a portion of religion as inaccessible to the atheist. After all, how does the atheist objectively experience what is asserted to not exist?

Furthermore, you seem to treat theism so narrowly that its atheistic prejudicial counterpoint would be to classify atheists as all being post-Nietzschean hedonists.

Not all of the world's theists are rabid televangelism drool-fuelers. You prove yourself wrong by narrowing your own scope.

A note for JayTerrier:

The written evidence will suffice. Where the Revolutionary War differs from the Bible is that we have primary accounts of the Revolutionary War. We have much source documentation to confirm certain aspects of the Bible (e.g. Roman control of Jerusalem) but we have no source documentation corroborating the Bible. Even Josephus is a secondary account. So where we have George Washington's signature, we don't have Jesus' John Hancock. Where we have a record of John Brown's execution (Civil War era) we do not have the Roman death warrant or any primary record thereof. No tax records confirming Joseph and Mary in Bethlehem in December. No personal letters from Jesus himself.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Back