Theism vs. Atheism

Why angry to christians?
The same angry and frustrated i would be if my seemingly sane brother -after explained why santa/fairies/etc doesnt exist- continued actually believing in santa/fairies/etc long after adulthood.

Also.
OP,you're a christian.
From the moment you are christian it means you deny logic, concepts and use of science,and only accept them when it benefits you.
Selective knowledge.
=
You already lost the argument but you will continue using fallacies upon fallacies until everyone gets tired and goes home.

Why angry to christians?
The same angry and frustrated i would be if my seemingly sane brother -after explained why santa/fairies/etc doesnt exist- continued actually believing in santa/fairies/etc long after adulthood.

Also.
OP,you're a christian.
From the moment you are christian it means you deny logic, concepts and use of science,and only accept them when it benefits you.
Selective knowledge.
=
You already lost the argument but you will continue using fallacies upon fallacies until everyone gets tired and goes home.

the last poster is confused about the active nature of respect when in disagreement. it doesn't mean that one actually respects the other's views or beliefs, it just means it's acknowledged that one does not have grounds to override another's beliefs with their own though it may be criticized or analyzed, again stressing it's the belief aspects. why? because it's a belief vs another one. it's like arguing whether god exists or if ghosts or haunted houses are real. facts are another issue. some would decieve and interpret beliefs as facts to falsely put them in the same category to gain credit or accuse of impropriety. it's this constant dodging as well as not abiding by any semblance of mutually understood ground rules of reality that creates a standstill.

Last edited:
Surely you're not suggesting that morality is the sole province of religion. If the hole is purely religion-shaped, that is only because we require it to be. In terms of basic human function, religion is shaped according to the need that creates it. Thus, a religion-shaped hole is also shaped like the fundamental need religion attends.

Oh, Surely. Just as surely as other theists do not suggest that altruism is the sole province of faithful people.

Disagreeing is not intolerance or imposing on anyone’s right to believe. People disagree everyday and remain tolerant of each other. However, I don’t feel that religion deserves my respect. People can believe what they want. I’m fine with that, but religion imposes their beliefs on society. What level of respect do you feel is appropriate for religious differences? What and how much should we tolerate?

Anyone who believes in the supernatural, often state that atheists, and scientists are close minded because they don’t want to accept something as truth, without sufficient evidence. Science works and survives on being open minded. Critical thinking may cause them to reject certain ideas, but if evidence is ever brought forth to support such ideas then it is reevaluated, and any original false ideas are dismissed.

Being an atheist doesn’t mean that I’m close minded and that I know for sure that God does not exists. It means that I don’t believe in God because there is no sufficient evidence to support such a claim and there is evidence that contradicts this claim. Being open minded does not mean that I have to accept someone’s story or their experience as proof. Being gullible is not a good thing. When someone claims that something is caused from a supernatural event, they should not expect me to believe it, without applying logic or reason. This would require that we sacrifice our ability to reason and this sabotages critical thinking. If they refuse to accept counter arguments, or evidence that contradicts their claim, then this is close minded.

When people defend religion, or like with the agnostic’s approach, claim that we cannot prove that God does not exist, it is rather annoying. Not having an explanation does not support the idea of the supernatural. Oh, and by the way, I feel that the term agnostic is dated. When someone labels something supernatural because there is no obvious explanation, they eliminate alternative explanations immediately. Once again, close minded. Religion teaches people what to think, not how to think. It is controlling, supercilious, and audacious.

I am an atheist, not a nihilist. I acknowledge that we exist and are capable of suffering. I just don’t need a god to represent this logical observation. If we are to make any progress, critical thinking is detrimental, and religious ideas discourage it. In my opinion, religious ethics are bias, and could never reduce the amount of suffering that a secular society could.

So ya, I mock them. :mufc:

Trooper,

Anyone who believes in the supernatural, often state that atheists, and scientists are close minded because they don’t want to accept something as truth, without sufficient evidence.

I'm not sure why you include "scientists".
What do you regard as "sufficient evidence"?

Science works and survives on being open minded.
Critical thinking may cause them to reject certain ideas, but if evidence is ever brought forth to support such ideas then it is reevaluated, and any original false ideas are dismissed.

There are limits to science.
It is closed-minded, and dis-honest imo, to wait for verification from something that
cannot, by its nature, deliver.

jan.

There are many different concepts of God and approaches. Agnosticism, Apatheism, Atheism, Cosmicism, Deism, Henotheism, Ignosticism, Maltheism, Misotheism, Monism, Monolatrism, Monotheism, Nontheism, Pandeism, Pantheism, Panentheism, Polydeism, Polytheism, Post-theism, Theism, Theopanism, and Transtheism. Did I leave any out?

Why did I include science? Are you kidding me? Don’t you think that science has contributed answers to some of the mysteries that have enabled the delusional concept of the supernatural? It is the year 2010. “On the Origin of Species” was published on November 24, 1859. It has been one hundred and fifty years and we have yet to resolve this conflict. How long are we going to tolerate a false perception, an imaginary deity? I just finished watching the movie “Creation”. After watching the personal struggles of Charles Darwin, I realized that we are all still facing the same struggles even today.

Atheists have transcended the dimwitted voices of Christian faith. Atheism is not a religion or an idea. To reject an illogical idea of the supernatural has not been an easy plight. Resisting something that is illogical is simply that, and how is atheism supposed to identify itself according to its own dimensions, when the dimensions are reality itself?

Throughout history we have tried to make sense of our existence and our surroundings. Our ideas have continually changed and evolved. From Gods that represented the ancient elements of nature, such as fire, water, air, earth, and quintessence, to a creator of the universe. A God, who is all-powerful, and an all-knowing supernatural being, but we still assign him human attributes and emotions. Now we have even gone as far as to say that he is the entire universe, or even outside the universe, and unknowable to man, and unattainable. It seems nonsensical to take the entire universe, with all the known and unknown forces, and create a theory of everything by calling it God.

When you finally come to accept the truth of atheism, and once it can be shown that religious ideas and beliefs are illogical, you wonder, how can anyone persist in such nonsense, but people do. During a few of the debates, I have been accused of being a bigot. I gave some considerably thought to this because I wondered how I could be perceived as a bigot. I certainly didn’t fit the proper definition, nor did I have the intentions of a bigot, nevertheless, I had to ask myself, what made my accuser feel this way?

I realized that I, and many other atheists, stereotype believers, and present a slippery slope argument. We combined all believers into one lump sum and attack their beliefs. This becomes a scapegoat for moderates. It allows people who practice moderate religion to feel that they are not included and that we are only attacking someone else’s beliefs. The moderates pick and chose only parts of their religion that seem reasonable to them. An extremist divides the world between, “us” (those that are saved and converted), and “them” (those who are not and are inheritably evil). A number of moderates even create their own idea of a God, one that they can believe in, because the depiction from the scriptures don’t seem logical, or reasonable to them. In their minds, they are in a different class of religious believers, ones that are harmless, and reasonable, and do not infringe upon anyone else’s rights. Therefore, they feel that our criticism does not apply to them. We have to ask ourselves, can moderate religion be shown to be harmful? Most atheists feel that even moderate religious beliefs provide the conditions, and support for the basic ideas that lead to harmful acts, but the moderate believers rarely themselves evolve into extremists.

I feel that it is important to try to get people to examine their beliefs carefully and critically. The philosopher, Dan Dennett does an amazing job. He examines what, and where religious ideas stem from, and what keeps them alive. God is not the structure of morality. Morality is a part of our nature, the right and wrong thoughts and behaviors in the context of the rules of a social group. To say that we cannot have a moral configuration without a supernatural notion is ludicrous.

Last edited:
I don't mean this as a condescending question: How old are you?

The reason I ask is because I look back on the period of my life and recall the contemptuous manner in which many Christians have long treated other people. Whether it is forced acculturation, paradoxical arguments that one's religious freedom is violated because another's is respected, or even the damnable argument that young people need to be shielded from rock and roll or fiction literature because they are too stupid to know what they are hearing or reading, many people have come to perceive this influential, even dominant strain of Christianity as patronizing, dishonest, petty, and, ultimately, ignorant.

It's a perception. It might be true or false; perhaps it's a matter of degrees. But the atheists, nihilists, magickers, witches, and even Satanists I knew in my youth all seemed to agree on this image. Most of that dabbling, exploration, and so on came about, in my corner of the Universe, at least, as an anti-identification, an attempt to create, recognize, or reinforce separation between the self and the Christian body politic. Censorship, sexual prudery, science: the resposne of the vocal faithful was always a trite quote from the Bible, or some seemingly insane, faith-based assertion. And, yes, here we see the seeds of at least two of the components of the phenomenon you refer to.

I am 31 - hardly an "old soul", but not a child either. I am highly aware of the atmosphere bred my mainstream Christianity throughout history, and particularly in the 70s in regards to subjects like rock/roll and various New Age .. philosophies. These are the people to whom I was referring in my OP. I've known these people (and their leaders) firsthand. And while I can certainly understand a little sensitivity on the part of the 'opposition,' it is horribly ineffective to fight immaturity with immaturity - and when you jump the gun by attacking an individual who has yet to portray these characteristics, you become as bad as the group that originated the problem. IOW, two wrongs don't make a right.

But at the same time, people are people. Among the things I disdain about the atheist movement of late are that it is intellectually lazy and resists genuine communication. It is almost a fundamentalist inversion of faith.

I agree completely.

It is certainly easier to simply match the dimwitted voices of Christian faith than to transcend them. And in an habitual context, this leads to a circumstance whereby one group of people lets another set the terms of debate. This can often lead to seemingly paradoxical outcomes, and such is the case here. To wit: these fundamentalist yahoos are moronic hypocrites. Okay, so ... why let them exemplify what Christian faith actually is? If they're idiots, then why do we presume they are good representatives of "religion"?

And these reduces intelligent conversation, since there is a group in the theism camp attempting to rise above the dimwitted voices, unable to find as many in the atheist camp willing to do the same.

Well, because it's easier. The modern voice of atheism is still an anti-identification; it identifies itself against something instead of according to its own dimensions. And, accordingly, it is easier to create, recognize, or reinforce separation by simply matching the ignorant than it is to advance any affirmative understanding. Certainly, there are still lessons that Christian faith can teach us, but so—to use a fairly sharp example—are there things that Steven Brust's fictional Hungarian assassin living in a world of sorcerous elves can teach us, too. True, the Taltos cycle isn't high literature, while the Bible can be viewed in that context, but the point still holds.

If the faithful are all ignorant hatemongers, there is no point in understanding any "real" Christianity. It's just easier.

And this is no conspiracy of hate; rather, it's just a sad human outcome.

Excellent points.

A question that I sometimes put before atheists: If you were to witness the conversion of a Christian away from faith, what moral structures could you advise him toward in order to fill the void where God once existed? After all, to turn one's back on God is to forsake the linchpin of a moral configuration. How does one replace that structure? How does one define moral priorities, or arrange moral components? What is the foundation for understanding the difference between right and wrong, once God's say-so is no longer valid?

One would think the question would be easy enough to recognize. True, it's a tough one to answer. But I've encountered surprising resistance from my atheistic neighbors to even acknowledging the question. It's almost as if their response to, "Because God says so," is, "Because I say so."

Well, yeah, but why?

I could spell out a canon of my own: Albert Camus, Clive Barker, Jack Cady, Steven Brust, Shel Silverstein, G. B. Trudeau, Captain Avatar, Yoda, Roger Waters ... musicians, actors, authors, painters, characters, philosophers .... There are certain things that work for me, that I can find in other people's expression that somehow reflects true in the reality of my experience. But explaining how all of these components fit together is a bit tougher than saying simply, "Because God says so," or, "Because I say so.",

Too true; I couldn't agree more.
you made it clear where you stand now and where you are coming from but that's quite different from the appearance of representing a religion in a broad context or everyone under it. you also can't fault atheists when they argue points with those that they disagree with or are religious bigots themselves. sure, everyone can believe what they want but in reality, people's assertions have to have some type of argument to back it up unless it's revealed to those that agree with them. it can't be just 'okay, believe what you want', then their is no point to discourse.

the major problem with theism is it doesn't know it's place as it's always pushing to legitimize it's views as facts rather than a faith. it really doesn't need to do that anyways and just remain in the religion or philosophical sphere of possibilities. there is no shame in that.

that's why religion has to constantly be put in check as well as those who push it.

It isn't "theism" that doesn't know it's place; it's people. To Tiassa's point above, people are flawed in both camps. My initial inquiry was regarding the seemingly disproportionate attitudes between the two camps, and I stand by my conclusion. It isn't that one camp is inherently more mature or tolerant than the other camp, but rather the nature of theism is such that the religions built around it tend to discourage thought that could challenge the beliefs, so individuals who rise above that are going to be the few that actually learn about other ideas. On the flipside, there is nothing inherent to atheism that discourages learning about other religions, particularly since few atheists come at such education from an attempt to actually "find religion" but rather from an attempt to discredit religion. As such, there is no need for such individuals to rise above anything beyond a "na na na boo boo" attitude.

i don't think that morality is imaginary. i think it's organic and understood and practiced by not only humans but animals to some extent. simply, morality is borne from valuing our lives and survival as well as other lifeforms with the same needs. all other rules, subtle or overt, are naturally evolved from interacting with our environment and those in it.

this is where i disagree with religious pretense and that morality is some edict handed down by some "god" when it's something that is understood by people in general in their lives and dealings with others. it was organized into a religious construct but i think it's just a revelation of awareness.

I would like to point out that your view and your perceived view of religion aren't so far apart. Replace the word god with nature and both sides are saying the same thing. There is no need to judge the theists because they have attached a name to the same thing you recognize otherwise. In fact, replace all instances in the Bible of "God's Will" with "The nature of the universe" and you end up with the same universal truths, the same unexplainable truisms, the same morality - as any any humanist could provide.

Everyone is doing this kind of thing - some theists wanting to take over the state, and some atheists wanting to take over the state too.

Neutrality is impossible. There can be no mental void.

Every position that anyone has is a position. Even if they claim to be neutral.

It is not possible to not have a position.

Which is why tolerance is all that much more critical.

Deicider... I'm not ever sure if your post is worth responding to, but... I'll give it a shot:

Why angry to christians?

This statement implies an absurdity to the idea of a God that is wholly unfounded. As objects that are part of this universe, your examples are bound to the logic and rules of this universe. The concept of God as a creator of our universe places such ideas squarely outside the realm of physical applicability. The fact remains that you not only CAN'T prove God doesn't exist, but you can't even provide one shred of evidence to that effect, so to dismiss the idea reflects a closed mind that frankly WOULD give rise to the kind of anger and intolerance I have been describing.

Also.
OP,you're a christian.
Selective knowledge.
=

Ha! I challenge you to find one post in all of my threads that shows I deny logic or science, or that I exert selective knowledge. For that matter, one example of my using a fallacy (much less fallacies upon fallacies). Your statement reflects a horrific generalization that again supports my prior statements, and represents a hatred that transcends logic itself - making any attempt on my part to change your mind (regarding tolerance and acceptance of others' beliefs - not any belief itself) a waste of my time.

the last poster is confused about the active nature of respect when in disagreement. it doesn't mean that one actually respects the other's views or beliefs, it just means it's acknowledged that one does not have grounds to override another's beliefs with their own though it may be criticized or analyzed, again stressing it's the belief aspects. why? because it's a belief vs another one. it's like arguing whether god exists or if ghosts or haunted houses are real. facts are another issue. some would decieve and interpret beliefs as facts to falsely put them in the same category to gain credit or accuse of impropriety. it's this constant dodging as well as not abiding by any semblance of mutually understood ground rules of reality that creates a standstill.

Agreed.

Disagreeing is not intolerance or imposing on anyone’s right to believe. People disagree everyday and remain tolerant of each other. However, I don’t feel that religion deserves my respect. People can believe what they want. I’m fine with that, but religion imposes their beliefs on society. What level of respect do you feel is appropriate for religious differences? What and how much should we tolerate?

Anyone who believes in the supernatural, often state that atheists, and scientists are close minded because they don’t want to accept something as truth, without sufficient evidence. Science works and survives on being open minded. Critical thinking may cause them to reject certain ideas, but if evidence is ever brought forth to support such ideas then it is reevaluated, and any original false ideas are dismissed.

Being an atheist doesn’t mean that I’m close minded and that I know for sure that God does not exists. It means that I don’t believe in God because there is no sufficient evidence to support such a claim and there is evidence that contradicts this claim. Being open minded does not mean that I have to accept someone’s story or their experience as proof. Being gullible is not a good thing. When someone claims that something is caused from a supernatural event, they should not expect me to believe it, without applying logic or reason. This would require that we sacrifice our ability to reason and this sabotages critical thinking. If they refuse to accept counter arguments, or evidence that contradicts their claim, then this is close minded.

When people defend religion, or like with the agnostic’s approach, claim that we cannot prove that God does not exist, it is rather annoying. Not having an explanation does not support the idea of the supernatural. Oh, and by the way, I feel that the term agnostic is dated. When someone labels something supernatural because there is no obvious explanation, they eliminate alternative explanations immediately. Once again, close minded. Religion teaches people what to think, not how to think. It is controlling, supercilious, and audacious.

I am an atheist, not a nihilist. I acknowledge that we exist and are capable of suffering. I just don’t need a god to represent this logical observation. If we are to make any progress, critical thinking is detrimental, and religious ideas discourage it. In my opinion, religious ethics are bias, and could never reduce the amount of suffering that a secular society could.

So ya, I mock them. :mufc:

Why do you not accept the notion of believing something until better information proves otherwise? We do that every day with scientific theories and hypotheses, do we not? Don't you see the arrogance in mocking one group for no other reason than because you do not share their beliefs?

Why do you not accept the notion of believing something until better information proves otherwise? We do that every day with scientific theories and hypotheses, do we not? Don't you see the arrogance in mocking one group for no other reason than because you do not share their beliefs?

But if evidence is ever brought forth to dismiss such theories and hypotheses then it is reevaluated, and any original false ideas are dismissed.
Arrogant? Nope. I'm humble enough to admit that a god did not desire my creation...:D

"You have every right to express an opinion. Your friend has every right to be offended. He has no right to demand you (or anyone else) refrain from expressing your views for fear of giving offence."

But if evidence is ever brought forth to dismiss such theories and hypotheses then it is reevaluated, and any original false ideas are dismissed.

As should be (and sometimes is) the case with theist doctrines. The very nature of a Creator though is simply one that doesn't apply to scientific discovery, so the antagonism between atheist and theists in the name of science is misdirected.

Arrogant? Nope. I'm humble enough to admit that a god did not desire my creation...:D

The very statement indicates a merely surface knowledge of most theist doctrines. (But quotable nonetheless. :))

Perhaps the phenomenon Solus Cado refers to is a reflection of how the "salesmen" (atheists) view the "consumers" (people in general).

Of course. And I'll admit that - even as I shy away from self-identifying as an "atheist" for the reasons mentioned - I view religious belief as a character flaw. I see it as a form of weakness, a refusal to accept and cope with the basic, terryfing mystery of existence. And that is an unequivocably condescending view of the religious, which I have zero expectation of endearing me or my views to any of them. Which would be why I so rarely attempt to "convert" anyone (at least, since high school).

Yet in my experience, by comparison, many atheists resent being asked to "show their work" in the sense of explaining how they worked it out.

Well, two things: in the first place I think we're already committing the cardinal sin of appointing the easiest to argue against as spokesmen for the whole here. There is no shortage of thoughtful, atheist philosophers with substantial things to say on these points, but they seem to be assiduously avoided in places like this (or, at most, mentioned only long enough to villify them on the basis of some minor, tangential statement taken out of context). And, yeah, would-be ahteist advocates have some responsibility to advertize this stuff.

In the second, I'd respond that (to me) the whole point of atheism is the rejection of the premise that this stuff can be worked out in some knowable, finite way. The atheist "answer" isn't held to be superior as an answer, but as a rejection of the validity of the question. By admitting "I really don't know - how could anyone?" you are actually taking more responsibility for your stances than by insisting "hey, the Perfect Man in the Sky said it was okay, so it's not my problem."

I wouldn't contest this perspective, but one thing I find curious is that, given the original inquiry of this thread, the discussion degraded, somewhat quickly, into a reiteration of the standard "atheist talking points" about what's wrong with religion. In a way, the general discussion proves a certain point. For all the knowledge and enlightenment the atheists have, there is still a very basic hostility not only toward religion, but toward the very ideas of explanation and objectivity that atheists often celebrate.

I'm not sure that we can really impute much onto atheists (or whoever) from an instantiation of the pervasive internet debate phenomenon of appointing the cheapest opponents as spokesmen for the other side and talking past one another. And certainly not here at SciForums where that sort of thing is so rampant as to be characteristic. Note that such is equally rampant amongst theists (and everyone else) around here.

I would counter that there is, possibly, an objective purpose or meaning of life that would render morality according to identifiable terms—e.g., we don't just say murder is wrong because God says so, but because there is an benefit defined in our evolution that proscribes the arbitrary killing of one another.

A social evolutionary benefit is not the same thing as an ultimate "meaning." In what sense is it "good" that the human race advances and prospers, for anyone other than the human race? Would the universe be a worse place if we'd warred ourselves into extinction a thousand years ago? Would it even be noticeably different? Maybe the Earth would be repopulated by enlightened vegan fawn people that would enjoy levels of social harmony, peace and justice unimaginable to us, while producing heartbreaking works of staggering artistic genius.

Although I'll comment on the irony here: any atheist that would attempt to define "good purpose" in social evolutionary terms would be immediately forced to recognize that the impressive social evolutionary advantages offered by religion (the very driver of its worldwide proliferation) qualify it as "good." In which case, said atheist ought to throw down his arms and become religious.

That we are unable to perceive or calculate that outcome does not necessarily mean it does not exist;

But it does mean that it is not knowable, and so is no use as a replacement for religious ideals (whose main advantage is precisely that). Not making important practical things (like morality and conduct) contingent on answering unanswerable metaphysical questions is a key advantage of atheism (and doing the opposite is the key to entrenching religious morality).

The problem in such a context is that people allow those they disagree with to be a convenient authority. Allow me to exclude any number of good people I know who happen to believe in God and focus on the televangelists and other morons for a moment: They're fucking morons. Period. For what reason would I possibly accept that these morons represent the religion or its foundation? Of course their particular brand of faith is bullshit, but is that bullshit the exclusive definition of what the faith is or brings?

No, it's not. So why would these rational, objective atheists allow the morons to define the argument?

Again, we're defining atheism down to its worst proponents here. Did Bernard Williams never live? Was The Atheism Tapes never produced and released?

Perhaps it should be an Internet maxim that those who dumb the other side down to their worst proponents are themselves the worst proponents of their side?

But, again, I do think there is something to the premise that "atheism" has itself been dumbed down to that level (and heavily conflated with anti-theism), largely by a process of real free-thinkers shunning reductive labels. So by now the only people who call themselves "atheists" (especially in popular fora such as here) are really just anti-theists looking for a fight.

The attack against the premise of absolute morality is reasonable, but it isn't absolute in itself. If you or I are smarter than the next guy, does that mean we know everything in the Universe?

The "smartness" in this case is better characterized by a refusal to pretend that one knows everything, or that everything is even knowable to begin with. It's the theists (or, really, the fundamentalists) that are making the undue claims of sweeping cosmic knowledge here.

And anything "useful" as a "Twinkie" would be junk food; that doesn't mean there aren't apples and carrots to eat.

But it does mean that a person raised from birth on a regular diet of Twinkies is unlikely to be satisfied by a diet of apples and carrots. Or even to view such as valid "food." And that sort of property is key to the successful marketting of Twinkies.

The absolute centerpiece does not need to be replaced with another absolute centerpiece any more than a cheese puff needs to be replaced with a cheese curl.

Of course. But try telling that to somebody who's spent their entire life working in the context of an absolute centerpiece, to the point where they can't even concieve of how to operate without one.

Weaning them from an absolutist view is one thing, but that does not satisfy the human need to classify right and wrong. So the question becomes what one builds in the empty space.

More to the point, the question becomes how one builds on empty space. The real answer is that you don't remove the moral framework itself, but it's "foundation," by demonstrating that no such foundation is needed (or even, really, possible). The moral framework itself remains - one is not supposed to treat one's fellow man any differently for having become an atheist. And it should be said that one of the methods religion uses to entrench itself is the inculcation of the belief that the metaphysical foundation is inseparable from the moral framework.

So the issue is much larger than eschewing absolutism (that only gets you from fundamentalism into mainstream religion, not all the way to atheism), but eschewing the premise that a knowable metaphysical foundation is even required for constructing a moral system in the first place (or that changing or removing the metaphysical foundation need substantially degrade the moral framework). The problem is not that the moral systems so constructed fail to satisfy as such (indeed, they typically only differ from the religious ones in minor details), but the deeper question of what weight a moral construction not buttressed by a knowable, concrete foundation has. The religious share a need for such a foundation (fundamentalists with suppoed direct knowledge of God, regular religious folks employ faith). Atheists don't require such.

One of the reasons atheists are poor evangelists is that they are imitating the patterns of the soft targets they obsess on. If they undertook harder targets, their arguments would be likewise more complex.

Again, you're soft-targetted atheists in making this assertion. And not entirely unfairly, given the abandonment of the identifier to such types. But substitute any of the fashionable replacement terms ("free-thinker" seems popular nowadays) or address the serious academic types, and the error becomes clear.

Surely you're not suggesting that morality is the sole province of religion.

Not morality as such, but the premise of a knowable, concrete foundation for it. It's pretty much the definition of religion.

But, yeah, religions tend to go on to claim that morality requires such a foundation, and so that atheists are immoral. I reject the premise. That doesn't cede morality to theists; only false surety and overwrought justification for the innate.

If the hole is purely religion-shaped, that is only because we require it to be. In terms of basic human function, religion is shaped according to the need that creates it. Thus, a religion-shaped hole is also shaped like the fundamental need religion attends.

Right, which I (arrogantly) characterize as timidity in the face of mystery. Hence my disinterest in trying to convert anyone - it takes a certain measure of internal strength and conviction to operate in a universe where morality floats in the air, and in the face of religious societies. The kind of person with the disposition for that will likely come to it on his own, or not at all.

I mean, sure, one might knock up his daughter, or wreck her psyche and ability to function in the world, but who cares? What, really, does it matter? Still, though, most atheists guard against that sort of nihilism. And therein lies the question: How? What are the components of that shield?

The crucial observation is that we've had the shield since long before we had religion. Heck, it's been around since before there were humans at all. It seems a clear-cut case of social evolution: groups that did not produce such inclinations did not compete well with groups that did. Wait a few million years, and you end up with entire species wired (both biologically and sociologically) for such a perspective.

So the insight is that this stuff doesn't even require effort, as such. It's innate. The interesting question is why we feel some need for an overarching philosophical justification for this, or that our innate abilities will fail without that. We don't seem to feel any such need to justify other aspects of evolution (social or biological), such as the urge to procreate or consume fatty foods. Indeed, we often have little trouble recognizing the perversities of certain of them (again, fatty foods), but have a lot of trouble with the idea that our moral inclinations could be similarly stilted (we might drive countless species to extinction and wipe out entire ecosystems in the process of advancing humanity - is that "good?" I haven't heard many atheists make that claim, but I have heard mainstream American Christians say as much, openly and proudly, while pointing to Biblical verse.

And for some reason, at least among the atheists I've known in life and the virtual world, it's a question they seem to resent.

And perhaps they ought to resent it, since it's essentially asking for a replacement for an unnecessary artifice. How do you act like a moral person without believing that the all-loving God will mercilessly punish you for all eternity otherwise? The exact same way that all of the people who've never heard of such a ridiculous proposition always have. People have a moral sense that guides them - the intellectualization of it is post-facto hand-wringing, and refusing to regard it as crucial turns out not to affect the operation much at all.

The presence or lack of a supernatural element remains a superficial consideration. What, then, makes an atheistic moral scheme any different than its theistic counterpart?

It admits that its superficial answers and cookie-cutter principles are just that, and not divinely-inspired wisdom. Atheism is the acceptance that these are, if not good enough, anyway the best that we're going to get, and accepts responsibility for that. Religion pretends to know otherwise, and in doing so offers myriad excuses for laziness and selfishness.

I would like to point out that your view and your perceived view of religion aren't so far apart. Replace the word god with nature and both sides are saying the same thing. There is no need to judge the theists because they have attached a name to the same thing you recognize otherwise. In fact, replace all instances in the Bible of "God's Will" with "The nature of the universe" and you end up with the same universal truths, the same unexplainable truisms, the same morality - as any any humanist could provide.

i never disagreed with that, but that is an aspect. i also stated that i actually agree or find valuable 'some' aspects of religious teaching, direct and symbolic but that does not mean i actually agree with a particular religion to join as a member because i may not agree with all the fundamentals or most of it. that would require, regarding christianity, that i believe that jesus christ is god or the son of god and must be baptized as well as a host of other beliefs, values and rituals that i may not agree with or believe. also, my interpretation of christianity is markedly different than what is acceptable or agreed upon to the basic christian faith. this applies to any religion. for instance, i agree with some of jesus' teachings and find them enlightening or the meaning of what those teachings this figure represents but i don't agree with all of them. i also interpret jesus as the son of god as to mean that he represents someone who is more enlightened, wise and innocent or pure. not necessarily that he is the only or actual son of god but the aspects of him that are wise represent a source of god if that is meant he is also good. i also disagree with the emphasis on gender which tends to imprint god as male or female. with most christians, they actually believe that he is and was the only son of god and god is an entity and male. i think at least metaphorically, jesus represents anyone that understand some truth or is trying to state or share a truth in a world that does not appreciate it or faced with enemies. he is an example of a scapegoat and victim as well. there have been many cases of this experienced by many people and not just in the context of moral issues, some of which were also very innocent and even obscure and perhaps a brighter light or of love or sincerity than others, not just represented by jesus christ. the biggest fundamental difference is i view christianity as accepting jesus as a scapegoat or condoning it. i don't agree with the teaching, spin or values that he should have died for someone else's sin when he represents innocence. this is exactly a representation of the brutal and predatorial nature of the universe but spun in a way that represents jesus chose this willingly or because of his unselishness or innocence. we know innocent people will sacrifice themselves much more readily than those who are selfish and corrupt. the other aspect i have a problem with is that others get a ticket to heaven because of his sacrifice. i don't find this an ethical religion even if it has some ethical morals in the mix because jesus represents one who has paid the price for others sins which i find irresponsible and unethical and is the primary reason for this religion. this creates a mindset that is prone to a lack of self-accountability as well as parasitic. i can go on further but these are a few examples. i also agree with teachings of other philosophies that are not related to christianity or may contradict it in another sense. even my interpretation (but it's not fixed or unable to be changed or modified) of the universe is markedly different from many atheists in some aspects, not just theists or whomever.

i disagree that both or all sides are saying the same thing. this is because even though, there may be some commonality or agreement on certain points , that does not mean there is agreement or similar values on all of them or it can contradict. besides that, someone's beliefs about the universe can differ greatly even if there is some agreement with others. also, i've gotten more moral feedback from just various minds who have put it down for dissemination than any single source even if it wasn't the source's intention. it can be either fiction or nonfiction. think about all the different books when you walk into a library or bookstore as well as the myriad experiences as well as interpretations people have shared. one major blindspot with a lot of theists (not all) is they believe that religion is the only source of spirituality or knowledge of the human condition or morals, world, universe or beyond it. there are many sources including life experience as well as your own assessment. after all, those who shared are sharing their own inner world as well as some truths that others can identify with as well. the bible as well as any book or source is just one of many. a person can have an epiphany themselves and share it with you and vice-versa. it's cross-referencing all this information with your own and evaluating what is right or real to you. this is a dynamic and constant process. what's best for me and for many i'm sure too is that i leave room for possibilities and questioning is the most important and active. also, depending on the category or genre, it doesn't have to do with right or wrong. art is enriching and it has to do with one's taste just as all the different world cuisines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by birch
Agreed.

You do realize it is ridiculous (and even malicious) to talk about things that per definition are about all parties involved, such as love, respect, tolerance, while ignoring whether the other parties in fact consider themselves loved, respected or tolerated?

How can you tell someone you tolerate them, or respect them, if at the same time you are indifferent to whether this person indeed feels tolerated or respected by you??

Of course. And I'll admit that - even as I shy away from self-identifying as an "atheist" for the reasons mentioned - I view religious belief as a character flaw. I see it as a form of weakness, a refusal to accept and cope with the basic, terryfing mystery of existence. And that is an unequivocably condescending view of the religious, which I have zero expectation of endearing me or my views to any of them. Which would be why I so rarely attempt to "convert" anyone (at least, since high school).

I agree with you in regards to a large swath of the theist population, but failure to recognize that it doesn't apply to all theists is as bad as any other stereotyping, whether it is racism, gay bashing, or classism.

Well, two things: in the first place I think we're already committing the cardinal sin of appointing the easiest to argue against as spokesmen for the whole here. There is no shortage of thoughtful, atheist philosophers with substantial things to say on these points, but they seem to be assiduously avoided in places like this (or, at most, mentioned only long enough to villify them on the basis of some minor, tangential statement taken out of context). And, yeah, would-be ahteist advocates have some responsibility to advertize this stuff.

Regarding this, I just want to commend you on a highly mature statement (IMO). :) There are indeed many theists who continue to argue points they have no business arguing and it just makes all of us look like idiots.

In the second, I'd respond that (to me) the whole point of atheism is the rejection of the premise that this stuff can be worked out in some knowable, finite way. The atheist "answer" isn't held to be superior as an answer, but as a rejection of the validity of the question. By admitting "I really don't know - how could anyone?" you are actually taking more responsibility for your stances than by insisting "hey, the Perfect Man in the Sky said it was okay, so it's not my problem."

This is a gross misjudgement of theist beliefs. The very core of Christianity, as an example, REQUIRES acknowledgement that you don't know. It requires that you believe without knowing. Those who stand up and say "they know" are exercising "bad religion" and you cannot judge a theology based on its worst figureheads. Well, you can - but it would be foolish.

A social evolutionary benefit is not the same thing as an ultimate "meaning." In what sense is it "good" that the human race advances and prospers, for anyone other than the human race? Would the universe be a worse place if we'd warred ourselves into extinction a thousand years ago? Would it even be noticeably different? Maybe the Earth would be repopulated by enlightened vegan fawn people that would enjoy levels of social harmony, peace and justice unimaginable to us, while producing heartbreaking works of staggering artistic genius.

Though, even then - who is to say that is "good"? I would argue that (in fact I did, in another thread on this site), that the very word "good" is too often misused. It carries with it an implicit assumption that there is a shared goal, to which the things that are "good" works, and against which things that are "bad" work. Religions certainly pave that shared assumption, but the failure of mankind to recognize that we don't all necessarily share the same goals prevents us from ever having meaningful conversations around what is "good".

Perhaps it should be an Internet maxim that those who dumb the other side down to their worst proponents are themselves the worst proponents of their side?

Ha ha! Yes, please!

But, again, I do think there is something to the premise that "atheism" has itself been dumbed down to that level (and heavily conflated with anti-theism), largely by a process of real free-thinkers shunning reductive labels. So by now the only people who call themselves "atheists" (especially in popular fora such as here) are really just anti-theists looking for a fight.

Excellent distinction... I think my OP could close out the conversation with that particular distinction. It isn't the atheists that are condescending and lower the intelligence level of the conversation, it is the anti-theists.

The "smartness" in this case is better characterized by a refusal to pretend that one knows everything, or that everything is even knowable to begin with. It's the theists (or, really, the fundamentalists) that are making the undue claims of sweeping cosmic knowledge here.

And along the same lines as my last comment, this is also an excellent distinction. Though I personally don't care for the term fundamentalist either, since it actually simply refers to a belief in the infallibility of the Bible - which doesn't have to carry with it the idiocy we have been discussing in so mnay theists. I always use Galileo as an example. There is nothing in the Bible that challenges his claims that the Earth was NOT the center of the universe, but the "fundamentalists" of the day had elaborated their interpretation of the Bible to include such nonsensical beliefs as the Earth being the center of the universe. The error here was not the scriptures in the Bible, but rather the people who used it, along with the scientific understanding of the day, to further their own religious goals. Again, they twisted and warped the religion - and you cannot fault the original religion for the weaknesses of such participants.

Not morality as such, but the premise of a knowable, concrete foundation for it. It's pretty much the definition of religion.

But, yeah, religions tend to go on to claim that morality requires such a foundation, and so that atheists are immoral. I reject the premise. That doesn't cede morality to theists; only false surety and overwrought justification for the innate.

Oh boy, the good conversation that could be had around THIS. :) But, more than a little off-topic for this thread I am afraid.

Right, which I (arrogantly) characterize as timidity in the face of mystery. Hence my disinterest in trying to convert anyone - it takes a certain measure of internal strength and conviction to operate in a universe where morality floats in the air, and in the face of religious societies. The kind of person with the disposition for that will likely come to it on his own, or not at all.

And to which I refer back to my previous statement, that you are over-simplifying and unfairly judging the act of faith by associating it indelibly with those who do exert timidity in the face of mystery. It also represents (IMO) a poor understanding of theism itself.

So the insight is that this stuff doesn't even require effort, as such. It's innate. The interesting question is why we feel some need for an overarching philosophical justification for this, or that our innate abilities will fail without that.

:) Ha! And this is precisely what I would argue the Bible (and countless other religions and mythologies) is saying when "Adam and Eve" consumed the "fruit of knowledge of good and evil". Anti-theists in particular have a tendency to dismiss such statements at superstitious mythologies without recognizing the truth in the statement. This Biblical story tells us that man and woman (people) have an innate sense of right and wrong, inherited biologically from our first ancestors. That is precisely the same thing you just said - that our sense of morality is an evolutionary trait that we inherited genetically from our early ancestors. The fact that this truth was recognized so much sooner than our knowledge of natural selection represents (IMO) the wisdom carried by our religious ancestors, a wisdom we are extremely arrogant and foolish to ignore simply because they used different terminology (or had a different approach to arriving at said knowledge) than us.

I haven't heard many atheists make that claim, but I have heard mainstream American Christians say as much, openly and proudly, while pointing to Biblical verse.

Again, simply an example of the lowest common denominator.

And perhaps they ought to resent it, since it's essentially asking for a replacement for an unnecessary artifice. How do you act like a moral person without believing that the all-loving God will mercilessly punish you for all eternity otherwise? The exact same way that all of the people who've never heard of such a ridiculous proposition always have. People have a moral sense that guides them - the intellectualization of it is post-facto hand-wringing, and refusing to regard it as crucial turns out not to affect the operation much at all.

I agree with you on this point. It is a weak position that theists attempt to rally behind in an effort to "convert" atheists. In doing so, they lower the theist position.

It admits that its superficial answers and cookie-cutter principles are just that, and not divinely-inspired wisdom. Atheism is the acceptance that these are, if not good enough, anyway the best that we're going to get, and accepts responsibility for that. Religion pretends to know otherwise, and in doing so offers myriad excuses for laziness and selfishness.

Hmmm... care to elaborate as to how it promotes selfishness? I can see the lazy part (intellectually lazy), although even that is something I've had to come to accept - not everyone is (in fact, quite few are) capable of exercising the same intellectual analysis and capacity that - well, let's say "us" - are. As such, for many, something that tells them what to do and how to behave is necessary. This is of course either the evolutionary advantage of "morality". (Which is, I would argue, HOW God gave it to us.) Identifying the physical characteristics and nature of something doesn't eliminate the relevance of a potential God - which, frankly, is why the entire debate back and forth is so useless. It is possible to believe in a God and everything else an atheist knows to be true - so why try so hard to eliminate him from the picture?

Back