Theism vs. Atheism

Tolerance really means ignoring something, refusing to consider it's effects on society and the future of humanity. I'm not sure I believe in tolerance. I would rather engage with people I disagree with, to have them come to terms with the extent of their rationality or lack thereof.

tolerance for it's own sake without consideration to it's effects is ridiculous. tolerance is only usually allowed whereas opposing factions are considered and the effects or noneffects upon them.

why or how does hate, condescension, or condemnation serve to further anything other than more hate, condescension, and condemnation? IOW, how does intolerance ever lead to anything other than more intolerance?

It's about the "fight for survival". This fight takes place not only on the physical level, but also on the psychological / mental one.

It cannot be any other way on planet Earth.

So, if you value tolerance of religious ideas above all, where do you draw the line? What if a religion demands that it's followers sacrifice virgins on an altar? Tolerance really means ignoring something, refusing to consider it's effects on society and the future of humanity. I'm not sure I believe in tolerance. I would rather engage with people I disagree with, to have them come to terms with the extent of their rationality or lack thereof.

I draw the line with infringing upon the will of another person. THAT is tolerance. So, clearly sacrificing virgins (unless the virgins want to be sacrificed) would be crossing the line. You are free to engage those you disagree with to try to convince them of another train of thought; to force it upon them is intolerance.

To that extent, I would argue that condescension, hate, etc. are all forms of attempted force - through "emotional torture" if you will rather than physical force. (After all, how can you physically force an idea?)

IOW, the adherents of, say, Christianity, are not commanded to abolish other religions - but rather to believe in THEIR God - just as every other religion (almost) commands. That is NOT intolerance.

well, people have a right to believe what they want. why it's potentially actively intolerant is because christianity's precepts are that the christian god is the only true god. there is much indication that many christians believe that others are heathens and so can be oppressed or in some cases even annhilated because they are not of 'god'. which is interesting to say the least, since this god claims it created everything and everyone.predatorial and defensive are two different issues, it's when religion is used predatorially that it's going to be met with more resistance. but christianity is not the only religion that has these type of value systems. but that's another issue.

It's about the "fight for survival". This fight takes place not only on the physical level, but also on the psychological / mental one.

It cannot be any other way on planet Earth.

Ok, so do we want the winning ideologies of our planet to be based on overpowering the losers with hate (as we have done for centuries) or with logic? Should the "fight for survival" be one of enlightened growth, or psychological warfare?

As for hating the ideology, I don't know of any theist ideologies that demand others accept it - in the absence of evidence or otherwise. And in any case, isn't it just as arrogant to demand others refute it in the absence of evidence disproving it? (IOW, it is arrogant to demand others believe there is no God without evidence to that effect.) That is kind of my point regarding tolerance... for either side to demand anything is arrogance and intolerance.

... or simply and act of using (pseudo-)philosophy and (pseudo-)science for political reasons. It happens all the time.

I think it takes some maturity to see through someone's use of Schopenhauer's stratagems ...

Why does it seem that the "educated" theists accept this but the "educated" atheists do not?

Because educated theists have some superior tenets to fall back on and hang on to.

Ok, so do we want the winning ideologies of our planet to be based on overpowering the losers with hate (as we have done for centuries) or with logic? Should the "fight for survival" be one of enlightened growth, or psychological warfare?

There is not much choice here. The one you want to overpower sets the terms for being overpowered.

Logic and enlightened growth are useless against savages ...

There is not much choice here. The one you want to overpower sets the terms for being overpowered.

Logic and enlightened growth are useless against savages ...

Hmm - I would like to think that mankind has reached the point where we CAN choose. But perhaps I overestimate mankind.

Oh, and Schopenhauer's Strategems? Care to enlighten me?

there is much indication that many christians believe that others are heathens and so can be oppressed or in some cases even annhilated because they are not of 'god'

This reflects intolerance in people, not the religion - since the Christian Scriptures do not advocate such a position. This is a good part of what I was referring to in my OP.

Because educated theists have some superior tenets to fall back on and hang on to.

and what exactly are these?

also, solscado made the assumption that educated atheists are less tolerant than educated theists when there are educated theists that are also intolerant. education has little to nothing to do with tolerance anyways.

obviously, both theists and atheists have made up thier mind in their 'beliefs'.

a fairer analogy would be a comparison to agnostics.

This reflects intolerance in people, not the religion - since the Christian Scriptures do not advocate such a position. This is a good part of what I was referring to in my OP.

the old testament is rife with them as well as numerous scriptures strewn throughout the bible. this is the same circle that happens when usually conversing with theists is either denial or ignorance or somehow it's up to 'interpretation'.

solscado made the assumption that educated atheists are less tolerant than educated theists when there are educated theists that are also intolerant.

To be fair, I didn't make an assumption so much as I proposed an observation.

education has little to nothing to do with tolerance anyways.

I did at one point say that I did assume that tolerance resulted from education, or at least intelligence. If not that, then from what does tolerance arise?

obviously, both theists and atheists have made up thier mind in their 'beliefs'.
:) I think that, by definition that is precisely what they have done.

a fairer analogy would be a comparison to agnostics.
To what initial analogy are you referring? I have actually found agnostics to by and large be extremely tolerant of other ideas.

To what initial analogy are you referring? I have actually found agnostics to by and large be extremely tolerant of other ideas.

by which you were pitting theists vs atheists as if atheists are less tolerant. i disagree, educated or not. one believes that god exists, the other believes it doesn't. even so, most atheists are from the position that the concept of god is moot because their is no proof whereas theists are in a position that is even less credible because it requires no proof.

an agnostic is neutral because they acknowledge there is no proof but perhaps a god or gods may exist among other things.

the old testament is rife with them as well as numerous scriptures strewn throughout the bible.

The Old Testament is (for the most part) Judaic Scripture. Christianity is in fact defined by the New Testament, which does not contain such advocations, and in fact calls out such Judaic attitudes as "wrong".

this is the same circle that happens when usually conversing with theists is either denial or ignorance or somehow it's up to 'interpretation'.

Agreed, but you put quotes around "interpretation" as though that somehow invalidates their position - what is a religion if not its interpretations of beliefs?

by which you were pitting theists vs atheists as if atheists are less tolerant. i disagree, educated or not. one believes that god exists, the other believes it doesn't. even so, most atheists are from the position that the concept of god is moot because their is no proof whereas theists are in a position that is even less credible because it requires no proof.

an agnostic is neutral because they acknowledge there is no proof but perhaps a god or gods may exist among other things.

These statements do not address the issues I brought up in my OP, where I noted that "educated" atheists respond with more derision than "educated" theists, for the most part. (Or so it would seem to me.)

Also, I would disagree that theists' position is less credible - but that is a conversation for another thread.

The Old Testament is (for the most part) Judaic Scripture. Christianity is in fact defined by the New Testament, which does not contain such advocations, and in fact calls out such Judaic attitudes as "wrong".

well, then you are the first theist to say such that i know of. then why does both the old and new testament comprise the bible and why do christians believe both are the word of god? it seems as though you are just making this up or is this your personal belief but not necessarily of christianity?

Agreed, but you put quotes around "interpretation" as though that somehow invalidates their position - what is a religion if not its interpretations of beliefs?

Um, incorrect because some of those scriptures are blatant and are not up to interpretation. anyone can say it's up to interpretation even when it's not or it's clearly very biased.

I think you need to be clear about what you are defending and make a stand where you agree or disagree with aspects of christianity or some sects. obviously, there are going to be christians who do disagree with you and also may agree. that is why there are already so many different sects of christianity already. christianity can evolve and change just like anything else but it can't if it's not clear to others as to what exactly a religion or sect is based on.

also, there are different types of atheists as well. there are those who have issue with the concept of god itself and those who have issues with the religious interpretation of it even more. usually, it's the latter that is questioned more even by many agnostics. what happens that becomes dangerous is people make god in their own image and that's their own interpretation. that itself is not necessarily wrong but it can be narrow-minded when it's used to gauge others that don't fit into another's belief system or paradigm.

Last edited:
well, then you are the first theist to say such that i know of. then why does both the old and new testament comprise the bible and why do christians believe both are the word of god? it seems as though you are just making this up or is this your personal belief but not necessarily of christianity?

Well, the body of "christianity" as a whole is notoriously difficult to nail down to any particular set of beliefs (see my comment below), but even within the traditionally accepted body of writings comprising the Bible, the entire crucifixion of Jesus arose from continued disputes between his teachings and that of the Pharisees, who were the reigning Judaic authority of the time. The Old testament provides a context for the New Testament, which is its primary purpose in inclusion in the Bible. As to why [most] christians believe both are the "word of God," that is primarily in reference to a couple statements made by Church leaders in the early years of the "Christ movement". That said, belief that the entire Bible is the "word of God" would necessarily apply the teachings of Christ to the misinterpretations of the Old Testament. It wouldn't change the words; just our understanding of them.

Um, incorrect because some of those scriptures are blatant and are not up to interpretation. anyone can say it's up to interpretation even when it's not or it's clearly very biased.

No, it simply establishes a new religion. Or a branch off the original. The first definition from dictionary.com establishes "religion" as meaning the following:
"a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs"

So, if those sets of beliefs deviate from others' due to a different interpretation, then they are in fact a different set of beliefs and represent a different religion.

ALL of this is a significant deviation from the OP; I would be happy to continue this conversation, but believe it would be better suited in another thread, so please start one if you wish to continue this particular line of discussion.

So, if those sets of beliefs deviate from others' due to a different interpretation, then they are in fact a different set of beliefs and represent a different religion.

maybe, but that is not yet manifested. there are no changes lately taking place to the bible and that is the guidebook for christianity so far.

as for me personally, i have more issue with religion than the concept of a creator of which i have only speculation at most.

Back