The War on Death

spidergoat said:
That's irrelevant, since life is an active system that could constantly repair itself.

i dont see it as irrelevant. entropy has everything in it's grasp, even life.
life has a shelf life, also. just because we cant measure it, that doesnt mean that it wont all be extinguished eventually.

its a mathematical certainty.

Unless we discover a law that allows entropy to decrease, but so far, the 2nd law of thermodynamics remains unbroken.

Although that is true on some molecular level, it is not true for organisms as a whole. An organism can make error-free copies of cells or genetic material to replace damaged ones. Animals usually don't die of old age, but eventual death from old age is just not affected as much by natural selection, since the animal's genes have already been passed on.

In the pop-culture view of entropy as 'disorder', perhaps. But from the physical viewpoint, entropy increases in all processes, including life.

Life on earth can only resist entropy because of usable energy coming from the sun and making its way down the food chain. But the amount of usable energy remaining in the sun decreases constantly.

Cottontop3000 said:
Cryonics.

I know you're all psyched about having your corpse frozen, but that doesn't really solve the problem of death. You're waiting for someone else to solve the problem. If the solution to death is to freeze your dead body, you uh, haven't really got much of a solution.

And what if revival of corpses was very expensive? What insurance do you have that anyone is going to want you back? Who's going to bring back thousands and thousands of bodies centuries or millenia from now?

No, better to look at hooking brains up to computers. Do the whole head in a jar thing, Futurama style.

When and if it's possible to hook my huge brain up to a computer, I'll think about it. Right now, cryonics is the only chance there is.

Just as its possible to store visuals in films its possible to store memories in electronic chips, computers wil even do the trick, then the next step is to clone the human from its DNA, grow the human in artificial wombs, then simply replant the memory into the human at the appropriate age. Not too shabby...this is the only way I can think of to by-pass dying cells

What if you took the growing human body and fed it your memories as it grew up so it thought it was you, but really wasn't?

Man, even though I keep telling myself I'm not a dualist, all this talk of fucking with memories is really creeping me out.

BTW, I don't think death is a problem. We could increase our problems by eliminating it. Overpopulation is one concern. Ending the natural release from suffering is another.

If im suffering and noone can help me what should I do next.

Back