Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Don't know/Don't care

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Some other option

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
Are there no other options besides killing five people or killing one other? Could you not try to untie the people, stop the trolley, or even kill all of them?
Is our only option to flip the switch?

ha ha ha. Fliiping the switch equals complicity too.

So does doing nothing. See? That's part of the problem with "morals", they don't work when put to the tests of reality. "Morals" are just bullshit to talk about and pretend that we're all so inte-fuckin'-lectual and smart mothafuckers .....when we ain't!!!

Baron Max

What study? And what were the parameters?[/

http://moral.wjh.harvard.edu/
http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~mnkylab/

Who did they study? And when?

Marc Hauser (evolutionary biologist) sponsored by the Primate Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory at Harvard University. It's ongoing (still present technically).

And was it before the horrendous terrorist acts of 9/11 or after?

I don't know, but the staff can answer your question. The can be reached here:

http://wjh1.wjh.harvard.edu/~moral/staff.html

Last edited by a moderator:
See the question is really why the man put them there in the first place. Why, there must surely be a reason, no?

So does doing nothing. See? That's part of the problem with "morals", they don't work when put to the tests of reality. "Morals" are just bullshit to talk about and pretend that we're all so inte-fuckin'-lectual and smart mothafuckers .....when we ain't!!!

Baron Max

Look at what Nasor said:

"Okay, joking and muslim-bashing aside, does anyone here seriously think that you shouldn’t flip the switch? You have to choose between five people dying or one person dying. Clearly it is better for only one person to die. Why on earth would you decline to flip the switch?"

Most people would agree with him regardless of their upbringing. What this means is that humans hold some values which are very very genetically influenced.

Mod Hat - No more of this crap

No more of this crap, folks. Do not feed the trolls, do not pour gasoline on the flames of hatred.

Got it? Good.

Thank you.

-Tiassa :cool:

Most people would agree with him regardless of their upbringing. What this means is that humans hold some values which are very very genetically influenced.

I think I disagree. I don't think most humans could actually, truly, do anything. I think the decision is far beyond their ability to assimmilate all of the data ...AND STILL MAKE A DECISION! Panic attacks, and a full breakdown comes to mind easily.

I've seen people stand and freeze while an enemy soldier pulls a gun up and aims it at them. Freeze, panic attack, total disconnect with reality, total inability to act.

And I surely disagree with "...humans hold some values which are very very genetically influenced." And besides, I don't think this silly little "test" is indicative of anything.

Baron Max

I think I disagree. I don't think most humans could actually, truly, do anything. I think the decision is far beyond their ability to assimmilate all of the data ...AND STILL MAKE A DECISION! Panic attacks, and a full breakdown comes to mind easily.

I've seen people stand and freeze while an enemy soldier pulls a gun up and aims it at them. Freeze, panic attack, total disconnect with reality, total inability to act.

In a real situation (not a hypothetical one), I would agree.

And I surely disagree with "...humans hold some values which are very very genetically influenced." And besides, I don't think this silly little "test" is indicative of anything.
Baron Max

It doesn't matter whether either of us agree or disagree. The results of the study show that people from all walks of life near-unanimously value 5 anonymous people over 1 anonymous person.

If you've got enough time, change the trolley to the 1 guy and cut his rope quickly before the trolley arrives.

Or, alternatively, ram the side of the trolley with your car :) Insurance will be a b*tch afterwards tho...

thetrolleykf8.jpg

Back