• Don't know/Don't care

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Some other option

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
A trolley is running out of control down a track. In its path are 5 people who have been tied to the track by a mad philosopher. Fortunately, you can flip a switch which will lead the trolley down a different track to safety. Unfortunately, there is a single person tied to that track. Should you flip the switch? Why?

Which one constitutes negligence, do you think?

Flipping the switch or NOT flipping it?

depends im sorry how selfish this sounds but if it was my brother or any loved on tied to the one on there own i would save them

I disagree, if your inaction leads to someone's death, this has been, in some cases, interpreted as the equivalent of manslaughter.

A trolley is running out of control down a track. In its path are 5 people who have been tied to the track by a mad philosopher. Fortunately, you can flip a switch which will lead the trolley down a different track to safety. Unfortunately, there is a single person tied to that track. Should you flip the switch? Why?

What switch? I didn't see any switch.

How do you know the philosopher is mad? Maybe he has a reason for it.

or maybe these people were doing a train strike like they always do and the philosepher just thought i missed my wedding im gona get you back!!!!

Derail the trolley. If not, send it to the path of safety. So what if a person is tied to the track? It's the path of safety.

O Fortuna
velut luna
statu variabilis
semper crescis
aut decrescis...

Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite
quod per sortem
sternit fortem
mecum omnes plangite!

Last edited:
Derail the trolley. If not, send it to the path of safety. So what if a person is tied to the track? It's the path of safety.

O Fortuna
velut luna
statu variabilis
semper crescis
aut decrescis...

Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite
quod per sortem
sternit fortem
mecum omnes plangite!

Indeed, it is possible to put a switch - half kilter and the trolly shoots straight down the middle and de-rails.

I personally think these hypothetical questions prove nothing. A lot of people would just freeze like doe-eyed deer in 16-wheeler headlights.

If this scenario is truely on rails, I would save the 5 people unless the guy on the other track is Mr Spock(or someone else I care about). I would not feel one bit guilty.

Indeed, it is possible to put a switch - half kilter and the trolly shoots straight down the middle and de-rails.

I personally think these hypothetical questions prove nothing. A lot of people would just freeze like doe-eyed deer in 16-wheeler headlights.

If this scenario is truely on rails, I would save the 5 people unless the guy on the other track is Mr Spock(or someone else I care about). I would not feel one bit guilty.

What if it was me tied on the other track....is my life worth more then 5?

This all comes down to who is on the track........i mean it could get quite messy here......like what if your lover was on the track with the 5 and your partner tied to the other alone.........

Look I hate to derail this star trek style but this shit got well and truely covered in the 2nd and 3rd Movies. "The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many...except..."

This all comes down to who is on the track........i mean it could get quite messy here......like what if your lover was on the track with the 5 and your partner tied to the other alone.........

Quick visit to the pub for a couple of pints while you think about it, maybe?

Look I hate to derail this star trek style but this shit got well and truely covered in the 2nd and 3rd Movies. "The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many...except..."

sorry not everyone is a geek and watches star trek.......

Back