The Swing of a Pendulum

You don't move relative to another object, you move relative to points in space, ie, the start point where you start the elapsed time, and the stop point where you stop the elapsed time. The points in space at where you start and stop the stop watch have a distance between them that can't be changed.

So how do you propose we locate these points in space?

That tells me nothing on how to locate a point in space. According to that drawing I can say I am at point 0,0,0 and if I drive 10 miles I will be at the absolute point of 10,0,0. If it takes an hour to get there then I had an absolute average speed of 10 mph. Which I dare say even you would agree is absurd.

So how do you find these 2 starting and stopping points in space?

The pendulum is swinging and the distance between the rockets isn't changing. Do those words mean anything to you?
No, not much. Go back to your initial scenario. You introduced a second car for no apparent reason, other that to create the illusion that the relative position of one car from the other has something to do with the meaning of absolute velocity. It doesn't. I am showing you how to disabuse yourself of that error.

Again: there is no absolute position in space. The difference in position from the two cars is a relative measurement. Even if the cars moved at exactly the same rate (impossible to achieve without welding them together, even then there is some wiggle in the joint) the relative velocity is simply zero.

The motion of the pendulum is dependent on two external forces: gravity, and the force of the tires against the pavement. These two forces add. The composite force is converted through the pendulum's frame and resolves into the harmonic motion of the bob. We can model the pendulum and solve for this (see the simulation I gave you for an example).

However, those forces are relative. The force of gravity is relative to the center of the earth (c.m.) and force due to traction is relative to the pavement at a particular moment in time.

From this and what I provided earlier, you now have a basis for understanding that there is no absolute motion in your scenario in the OP.

That tells me nothing on how to locate a point in space. According to that drawing I can say I am at point 0,0,0 and if I drive 10 miles I will be at the absolute point of 10,0,0. If it takes an hour to get there then I had an absolute average speed of 10 mph. Which I dare say even you would agree is absurd.

So how do you find these 2 starting and stopping points in space?

Those are light seconds. The cube's walls are 1 light second in length, and the source remains at the center .5 light seconds from each receiver at all times as the cube travels in the absolute frame away from the center of the light sphere (which remains motionless in the absolute frame.)

Those are light seconds. The cube's walls are 1 light second in length, and the source remains at the center .5 light seconds from each receiver at all times as the cube travels in the absolute frame away from the center of the light sphere (which remains motionless in the absolute frame.)

I think I see what you are trying to say. Are you saying, that anytime a light sphere is emitted from a point, that point by definition and in actual fact is a fixed point in absolute space?

Look at frame 2. The time is t=.65 seconds and the radius of the light sphere is according to the speed of light. But if you are the z receiver .5 light seconds away from the source in the cube frame, then you have problems, as it took .65 seconds for light to travel from the source at t=0 to the z receiver, which is only .5 light seconds in the cube frame. Uh OH!

I think I see what you are trying to say. Are you saying, that anytime a light sphere is emitted from a point that point by definition and in actual fact is a fixed point in absolute space?

Exactly.

...and light travels away from that point in all directions at the same speed, so light is defining distance in the absolute frame as it travels away from that point..

Objects also travel in the absolute frame at the same time,,and while the driver of that object may have had a few too many, light travel never lies!

Well good for me. I never got that this is what you were saying because it is really quite off base. I can see how you would come to believe that and hold on to it, I suppose. Unfortunately that belief is demonstrably false. Experiments (all of them) show that to be completely wrong. So I guess you are just going to believe what you want, the facts be damned.

Have a good one, it's getting to late for me...

Subject to what James R is referring to, there are no absolutes. Essential to this whole thread: there is no absolute position. There is no absolute direction.

I don't think I ever said there was .. or there wasn't. Indeed, it is difficult to see how there would be. Jame R said, however,

there are plenty of absolutes in spacetime - just not the ones you think there are

so it would be interesting to see what he means.

Not sure what you mean by that. Obviously some questions of Natural Law are settled. For example, as sure as the sun will shine, you will not be hurled from the earth when you reach the end of this sentence. See? Some stuff really is a done deal. Just not sure what you mean here.

I meant simply this; eminent scientists spoke of spacetime as a reality for decades, then eminent scientists spoke of 'the myth of spacetime' and 'spacetime is a fairytale', etc. I have no great problem with this I was merely pointing it out because it kinda confirms my suspicion that all knowledge is provisional. And if you wanted to disccuss this issue further, the thread in physics and maths (or wherever it is) might be the place.

Before we go off in the weeds, we should establish the one simple principle that's being abused here: there is no absolute position in space.

Weeds .. Ah, those despotic weeds ..

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-despot/

Speaking of suspended, you're still not floating, are you. Certainty is like that. As sure as the sun will shine, there is no absolute position in space.

No, but I am still suspended about absolute position ..

Back